Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Katrina Rescue Suspended

Hurricane Katrina Top News 2005 New Orleans Government failure Aftermath Rescue suspended

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 mjtian

mjtian
  • Islander
  • 897 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 12:32 PM

This latese news just makes me mad  :angry:   Why are these thugs targeting the relief effort?  I understand the anger and frustration, but why are people shooting at the cops?  I just don't get it!
"I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot... and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why... I succeed" -Michael Jordan

#2 Lyric of Delphi

Lyric of Delphi

A little too much LDS

• Islander
  • 9,092 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 12:42 PM

Is there an article about this? Can you post a link?

#3 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 12:46 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...cane_katrina_25

They've had to abandon relief efforts to concentrate on restoring order. Lots of National Guard moving in.

With New Orleans sinking deeper into desperation, Nagin ordered virtually the entire police force to abandon search-and-rescue efforts Wednesday and stop the increasingly brazen thieves.

"They are starting to get closer to heavily populated areas ó hotels, hospitals, and we're going to stop it right now," Nagin said.

In a sign of growing lawlessness, Tenet HealthCare Corp. asked authorities late Wednesday to help evacuate a fully functioning hospital in Gretna after a supply truck carrying food, water and medical supplies was held up at gunpoint.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#4 mjtian

mjtian
  • Islander
  • 897 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 12:46 PM

Is there an article about this? Can you post a link?

Sorry, I forgot.  

ESPN
"I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot... and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why... I succeed" -Michael Jordan

#5 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 01:06 PM

Maybe instead of sending in Chinooks they should go in with Apaches, and shoot back.    I cannot fathom any sane reason that people would want to shoot at rescue workers who are coming in to help them... especially when those rescue efforts are already too slow as it is.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#6 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 01:21 PM

The news on the radio is saying that stuff about shootings and suspended rescue activities is not confirmed. It could be a rumor.

#7 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 01:50 PM

They aren't just rumors - look at the link I gave earlier. These are statements by official agencies

--FEMA has had to pull some of their people out (confirmed by Homeland Security) because they were getting shot at
--Folks are shooting at helicopters called in to evacuate hospitals (which are  having to be evacuated in the first place because the trucks taking them supplies were hijacked!)
--The ambulance service evacuating wounded from the SuperDome had to suspended flights after a helicopter was shot at.

I'd be willing to bet that when we offer aid to other countries, their citizens don't shoot at us.  :eek2:  :crazy:

Edited by Rhea, 01 September 2005 - 01:52 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#8 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 01:54 PM

Rhea, on Sep 1 2005, 01:50 PM, said:

I'd be willing to bet that when we offer aid to other countries, their citizens don't shoot at us.  :eek2:  :crazy:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:blink: You have GOT to be kidding.

#9 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 03:40 PM

Rhea, on Sep 1 2005, 06:50 PM, said:

I'd be willing to bet that when we offer aid to other countries, their citizens don't shoot at us.  :eek2:  :crazy:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

More accurately, we're probably prepared for them to shoot at us...

#10 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 05:21 PM

OK...it's definately time to take the gloves off. Shoot back at those firing on the rescue workers and shoot to kill.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#11 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 05:25 PM

TV crews have pulled out of the CBD our local CBS affiliate said the police came by and told them it was too dangerous to stay. As the reporter was giving his final story from Canal street, you could see tourists walking down the street. You could tell they were tourists because they were dressed like tourists. And they interviewed one group who said they were gonna keep on walkin till they got out. That they couldn't stay in the  hotel anymore.

#12 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 06:27 PM

I have to agree with Zwolf and LOTS to a degree.

We need a show of force from the National Guard and the Military ASAP.  At this point if they donít make a major show of force we could lose even more control.  I think the entire thing is on the verge of flying apart at the seams in a nasty mess.  Iím hoping that once the Navy taskforce arrives theyíll be able to stabilize the situation with the Marines, heavy equipment, and facilities on the ships.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#13 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 06:32 PM

I think it is to the point were the slightest thig is going to tip it over, they are already dancing on a knife edge.

About 15,000 to 20,000 people who had taken shelter at New Orleans convention center to await buses grew increasingly hostile. Police Chief Eddie Compass said he sent in 88 officers to quell the situation at the building, but they were quickly driven back by an angry mob.

"We have individuals who are getting raped, we have individuals who are getting beaten," Compass said. "Tourists are walking in that direction and they are getting preyed upon."

A military helicopter tried to land at the convention center several times to drop off food and water. But the rushing crowd forced the choppers to back off. Troopers then tossed the supplies to the crowd from 10 feet off the ground and flew away.

In hopes of defusing the situation at the convention center, Nagin gave the refugees permission to march across a bridge to the city's unflooded west bank for whatever relief they could find. But the bedlam made that difficult.

"Right now we are out of resources at the convention center and don't anticipate enough buses," Nagin said in a statement.

At least seven bodies were scattered outside the convention center, a makeshift staging area for those rescued from rooftops, attics and highways. The sidewalks were packed with people without food, water or medical care, and with no sign of law enforcement.

The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#14 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 08:07 PM

There's part of me that is really hoping that the peoiple shooting are simply delutional - the paranoid schozoprenics who don't have their meds anymore and such things.  I really do hope that's why someone was waiting outside a hospital ans sniping people as they tried to evacuate, because I don't want my opionion of humans to drop any lower.  And there probably are alot of people on mental breaking points - lack of food and clean water make infections and delerium much more likely, finding that all/most of your family is dead, being trapped with dead bodies, fecal matter, and dwindling hope of being saved/growing frusration and then being raped or otherwise assualted  - I could see how that would drive someone mad.

I hate the fact that that is me trying to be optimistic.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#15 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:50 PM

It's going to be a truly tragic statement on the condition of things if the rescue helicopters have to start carrying door gunners.

#16 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 11:53 PM

Rhea, on Sep 1 2005, 12:50 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uh...Mogadishu?...where I lost two buddies?

Not to mention Iraq.
The Future...Unless Things Change.

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made? ó A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

#17 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:59 AM

i've heard a disturbing rumor that a few thousand people were taken to the convention center in NO to ride out the storm, and were then forgotten about, left without food, water or basic medical supplies since they were bussed there. the same rumor says that they were only found when a roving TV camera crew came across them.

Has anyone heard about this.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#18 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 02:04 AM

CJ AEGIS, on Sep 1 2005, 11:27 PM, said:

We need a show of force from the National Guard and the Military ASAP.  At this point if they donít make a major show of force we could lose even more control.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To repeat what I said above, only less aggressively (sorry about that Spectacles): is that actually going to help restore order, or simply spin the chaos into new and exciting forms?

#19 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 02:14 AM

Godeskian, on Sep 2 2005, 06:59 AM, said:

i've heard a disturbing rumor that a few thousand people were taken to the convention center in NO to ride out the storm, and were then forgotten about, left without food, water or basic medical supplies since they were bussed there. the same rumor says that they were only found when a roving TV camera crew came across them.

Has anyone heard about this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dunno, but if true then someone in the city needs to be jackslapped for that, thats 15-20,000 people or so.  how could they forget them?

#20 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 02:26 AM

[quote name='D'Monix' date='Sep 2 2005, 08:14 AM']
I dunno, but if true then someone in the city needs to be jackslapped for that, thats 15-20,000 people or so.  how could they forget them?[/quote]

[url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4204906.stm"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4204906.stm[/url]

:( unfortunately it appears to be true.

[quote]Whole families lie on the floor with what few possessions they rescued from the flooding - toddlers, the elderly and people with disabilities.

All say no-one is helping them.

Most are short of food and water and there is little sign of any organisation, let alone supplies to help those waiting to leave. [quote]

[quote]The emergency services are split between the search and rescue operation, holding back more floodwater, and fighting gangs of looters.

It seems they have little time left for the survivors, who are becoming increasingly desperate.

It's very much the poorest people that are left here - those who didn't have the ability to get out with a car fast enough

I went down to the convention centre and I didn't see any officials providing people with aid. There was no water and no food supplies.[/quote]

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hurricane Katrina, Top News, 2005, New Orleans, Government failure, Aftermath, Rescue suspended

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users