Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Katrina Rescue Suspended

Hurricane Katrina Top News 2005 New Orleans Government failure Aftermath Rescue suspended

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 02:33 AM

wow.

all this time the media has been 'superdome this' and 'superdome that' and up til now they havent mentioned the convention center, which has almost as many people?  guess they arent the only ones though, since the city got caught up in the superdome hype and forgot about these people too.

#22 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 02:44 AM

Pres. Bush is slated to visit the disaster zones, including new orleans, today.

Bet the Secret Service is mighty twitchy bout that prospect.

#23 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 02:46 AM

D'Monix, on Sep 2 2005, 08:44 AM, said:

Pres. Bush is slated to visit the disaster zones, including new orleans, today.

Bet the Secret Service is mighty twitchy bout that prospect.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My heart bleeds for the SS.  :smirk:

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#24 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 02:47 AM

D'Monix, on Sep 2 2005, 08:33 AM, said:

wow.

all this time the media has been 'superdome this' and 'superdome that' and up til now they havent mentioned the convention center, which has almost as many people?  guess they arent the only ones though, since the city got caught up in the superdome hype and forgot about these people too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Makes you wonder how many other hotspots have been forgotten about in this mess.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#25 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 03:53 AM

One perk about all the trawling for information I've done is that I knew about the Convention Center back on Tuesday.  The downside is that I forgot to mention it in the previous thread; sorry, y'all :s

#26 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 04:01 AM

If someone mentioned this above and I missed it, I apologize for being repetitive.
The situation in New Orleans with the looters has an eerie similarity with the way the looting grew in Baghdad after the city had been taken by U.S. forces. In both cases as it became obvious there was no competent authority to keep the peace, more and more violent factions tried to take advantage of the situation.

#27 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 04:16 AM

On CNN they've been covering the Convention Centre thing all day. It's madness. Thousands of people trapped with no food or water, and no way to get out. Dead bodies left at the side exits. The city sent in eighty-eight police officers to restore order, but the crowd forced them to leave. Then the city let people walk out of the Convention Centre, but the ones who tried to walk out came back, because there was nowhere better to go in the city. These people are desperate, they feel that they've been abandoned, but they've also lost confidence in the authorities and many of them refuse to cooperate with anything that looks like a show of force.

It's like that all over the city. Innocent people trapped, roving criminal gangs looting buildings and attacking those who can't fight back. The police who are still on the job (many of them disappeared) are preoccupied with rescue operations and refuse to leave their station houses at night.

At this point New Orleans needs the Army and National Guard. As soon as possible, too.

#28 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 04:22 AM

a bitter irony is that this was also the 40th anniversary of Hurricane Betsy which also rolled over New Orleans.

edit to say: anniversary week, Betsy hit NO on Sept 9.

Edited by D'Monix, 02 September 2005 - 04:29 AM.

#29 Jazzer

Jazzer

Here I am

• Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 04:44 AM

I forgot where I heard this - TV or radio? - but I heard it mentioned that one police officer in his frustration said he'd like to be able to just shoot the looters and each time he shoots one, write the word "LOOTER" on a piece of paper and leave it pinned it to their chest.  I can understand someone scrounging for food and water, but to steal just for the sake of stealing and to hurt, rape, & kill other people, just because they can, is despicable!  I can understand the frustration of the police in dealing with people like that.  I also heard that a lot of police got pulled from rescue duty to try to deal with the violent criminal element.  

But I'd also heard on the news that when the hurricane hit and the jails started flooding, the police just had to open the jails and let the prisoners go at the time, because they had nowhere else to take and confine them.  So that was more criminals added onto the streets.  I also heard that some gangs had broken into gun stores and that's how some of them got some heavy guns and ammo.  

I don't understand why the looters are bothering to steal TV's, etc. if there's no electricity to run them, and no guarantees that electronics won't get wet and become unusable.  It's just insane!  Under the circumstances, I can understand people raiding stores just for survival supplies, but stealing just because they can is another matter.  

I admit, if they could determine who's just stealing just to be stealing and hurting & killling people just because they can, I'd be tempted to say when everyone else is rescued, leave the low-down-sorry ones there in the city, kind of like Botany Bay.  Maybe that's pretty harsh, but it makes my heart ache to think of the other people who are just trying to survive till hopefully help will arrive in time, and meanwhile, besides worrying about just trying to survive, they're also living in fear of these idiots who steal stuff and hurt & kill people just for the fun of it.
Unanswered questions aren't nearly as dangerous as unquestioned answers.

#30 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 04:58 AM

A fed-up Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco warned the lawbreakers that extra troops have already arrived in the city, and others are on the way -- and "they're locked and loaded."

She said Thursday night that 300 soldiers from the Arkansas National Guard had arrived -- "fresh back from Iraq."

"These are some of the 40,000 extra troops that I have demanded," Blanco said. "They have M-16s, and they're locked and loaded ... I have one message for these hoodlums: These troops know how to shoot and kill, and they are more than willing to do so if necessary, and I expect they will."

#31 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:11 AM

About the crowd at the Convention Center, the head of FEMA told Soledad O'Brien that yesterday was the first FEMA had heard about it. She asked him why it is that CNN has better information from the ground than FEMA does. She asked why they aren't doing flyovers for recon and air drops. After all, we air-dropped food to tsunami survivors two days after the tsunami hit. His response was the typical bureacratic  ass-covering. Apparently, the head of FEMA is mainly a PR position.

Immediately after that segment, Dr. Sanjay Gupta  reports from inside one of the hospitals without food, water, plumbing, electricity, where people are dying in horrible conditions and where the stench is so strong Gupta's crew gagged and vomited on entering.

Soledad asked him why, if he could brave sniper fire to get there, isn't the National Guard there. He said the doctors asked him the same thing.

People are dying all over New Orleans today. Many survived one of the worst natural disasters ever to hit our nation, only to die, days later, waiting for this once-great nation to grab their outstretched hands and save them.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#32 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:16 AM

I just heard that the mayor advised people to abandon the convention center and make their way across the bridge to the outlying area for disaster relief.

it brings to mind a question, why haven't people already tried to leave the city. I realise that US cities are big and that most people can't exactly power-march all day through waist high water, but if I was in that situation, I would have started moving as soon as it was safe, to go find help, rather than wait for it. (I never could sit still)

and yes, if reporters can get to these places, then the military and coastguard should as well.

To listen to the chief of Homeland Security call FEMA's reaction 'magnificent' is sickening

Defy Gravity!

#33 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,506 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:10 AM

Well one of the problems has been the fact that they were told by officials and officers to stay put and that they'd be picked up/fed/housed...so on.  So people have been waiting for what they've been promised.

I just saw on CNN a guy telling a reporter how they were told to go into this building (pointing to one) to get medical help.  There was nothing, they couldn't even provide water.  Then they watched (and calmly yet angerly stated) as a cop car and later two national guard trucks simply drove by.  The national guard almost seemed like they were avoiding them (my observation [they were far away from the crowd and drove over a street island/curb]).

All I've heard from most of the officials have been political bs lingo and seems that now everyone (media-politicians-well, everyone) is sitting there pointing fingers and trying to lay blame (or simply asking who should be blamed for the lack of response).  To me, FRACK THE FINGER POINTING AND GET PEOPLE OUT!!!  Otherwise, the only finger pointing is going to be a massive riot outside the White House wanting more than a talk with Pres. Bush.  The more things don't get done and the more people die down there, the more angry and hostile the civil/respectable people are going to become.  And the more they become hostile the more violent they're going to become towards those who do actually attempt to rescue them.  I am just foreseeing a lot of innocent people getting shot by the army as they come in.  The army is going to walk in and see a majorly angry crowd who is at the breaking point of fear and are tired of seeing little-to no help in any form.  One person from the crowd could go up demanding an answer, the guard tells them to step back, a shoving match ensues and next thing we see are 40 shot and dead people.  Okay, this is getting out of hand and probably too Hollywood.  However, after everything that has gone on, I wouldn't rule it out in the slightest.

This is in no way a rant to those who are actually trying to get people out or the army for shooting people.  Even with all the horrific pictures we've seen, there are tens/hundreds of thousands of people who have been rescued, evacuated and are safe.  We must not forget that.  Things are progressing, just not everywhere and everyone.

And since this post is huge and getting off track, I'm going to throw this out there too.  I'm also going to get reemed probably with no hope for defense (since I'm going to be working thru Monday at an annual unrelated charity event), but here it goes.  I'm getting a slightly be disturbed that the media is starting to turn this into a racist issue.  The morning shows and last night someone talking with the head of FEMA, kept pressing the issue that only black people were being stranded.

(Who cares who they are...they're still there.  We need to get them out, black, white, purple, bleeding red...they're all people.)

K, end rant...take care all and have a safe weekend (holiday or not).
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#34 Nialla

Nialla
  • Islander
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:24 PM

Jazzergold, on Sep 2 2005, 03:44 AM, said:

I don't understand why the looters are bothering to steal TV's, etc. if there's no electricity to run them, and no guarantees that electronics won't get wet and become unusable.  It's just insane!  Under the circumstances, I can understand people raiding stores just for survival supplies, but stealing just because they can is another matter. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

More than likely, anything electronic that was in flooded areas are so damaged they won't work. Like you say, there's no electricity to run them, not to mention no place to put them when you don't have a fricking house anyway. Looks to me like taking such big ticket items just makes you a mark for other looters.

I think there's a mentality with some people that they can "get what they want" for free. Makes no sense. With everyone being evacuated, it's not like they can take their ill-gotten TV with them. But with such disasters, sense is often the first thing to go.

Personally, I think anyone caught looting or shooting at rescuers should be sent to one of the shelter locations, like the Superdome or the Convention Center. Let them be on the very last bus out of town. They deserve some suffering after causing rescue workers to pull back out of fear for their own lives.
"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffled their pockets for new vocabulary."
~ James D. Nicoll

#35 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:39 PM

The Masked Coyote, on Sep 1 2005, 08:53 PM, said:

Rhea, on Sep 1 2005, 12:50 PM, said:

I'd be willing to bet that when we offer aid to other countries, their citizens don't shoot at us.  :eek2:  :crazy:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uh...Mogadishu?...where I lost two buddies?

Not to mention Iraq.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Iraq's a different story. WE invaded THEIR country. Unrealistic to expect people not to shoot back. But this is our own people, in our own country.  Idiots.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hurricane Katrina, Top News, 2005, New Orleans, Government failure, Aftermath, Rescue suspended

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users