• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 06:26 PM

Think what you will of Move On, but they're doing something very, very cool to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina.  They're asking members to provide free housing for people left homeless by this disaster.  

Here's the site for Hurricane Housing.  It's great to see them pony up to help!   :)
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#2 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:18 PM

It's about time they did something worthwhile! ;)

Seriously, though, I'm glad to see them get involved in the effort. If ever there was a time to drop partisan bickering, this is it.

#3 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:32 PM

HubcapDave, on Sep 1 2005, 04:18 PM, said:

If ever there was a time to drop partisan bickering, this is it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hardly consider shopping for shoes and going to see Spamalot and catching up on her Broadway shows partisan bickering.  I'd say it was simply not doing her job in a time of national emergency.  Who am I talking about?  Check the news.  

"Let them eat cake" is not coming from the left.  It never does.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#4 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:34 PM

All right. The important thing is that this is a way to help people made refugees by the hurricane. I applaud anyone who can help.
Per aspera ad astra

#5 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:47 PM

Nonny, on Sep 1 2005, 05:32 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hardly consider shopping for shoes and going to see Spamalot and catching up on her Broadway shows partisan bickering.  I'd say it was simply not doing her job in a time of national emergency.  Who am I talking about?  Check the news.  

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What on God's Green Earth are you talking about?

#6 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 10:49 PM

HubcapDave, on Sep 2 2005, 12:47 AM, said:

Nonny, on Sep 1 2005, 05:32 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What on God's Green Earth are you talking about?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nonny's talking about Condi Rice and what she was doing while people were dying down in New Orleans.

Edited by Call Me Robin, 01 September 2005 - 10:50 PM.

--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#7 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 01:45 PM

That criticism is just absurd. First off, the Department of State deals with foreign affairs, not domestic emergencies. You might as well just say that I should be guilty for watching my favorite movie the other night, because people are dying in New Orleans.

You know, I was trying to be nice about this, but then I hear criticism like this and Randi Rhodes talking BS about how there should have already been a carrier there flying relief sorties into the city (and which carriers do we keep floating around in the Gulf of Mexico? The nearest one is already on it's way!)

#8 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 03:02 PM

Dave: You might as well just say that I should be guilty for watching my favorite movie the other night, because people are dying in New Orleans.

It's a matter of respect and propriety--and the fact that she is a member of this administration's cabinet.  We weren't struck by terrorists, but we might as well have been. The magnitude of this disaster is so enormous that it's fair for Americans to expect their leadership in Washington to be rolling up their sleeves, not going to the theatre. I realize that domestic catastrophes aren't her domain, but she's still a representative the administration that is having to deal with it. People are sensitive, rightly or wrongly, to a perceived disconnect between Washington and the realities of New Orleans. So this wasn't very smart of her.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#9 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 03:06 PM

Spectacles, on Sep 2 2005, 01:02 PM, said:

Dave: You might as well just say that I should be guilty for watching my favorite movie the other night, because people are dying in New Orleans.

It's a matter of respect and propriety--and the fact that she is a member of this administration's cabinet.  We weren't struck by terrorists, but we might as well have been. The magnitude of this disaster is so enormous that it's fair for Americans to expect their leadership in Washington to be rolling up their sleeves, not going to the theatre. I realize that domestic catastrophes aren't her domain, but she's still a representative the administration that is having to deal with it. People are sensitive, rightly or wrongly, to a perceived disconnect between Washington and the realities of New Orleans. So this wasn't very smart of her.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pardon me if I disagree. Until someone can explain exactly what she should have been doing and why, my point stands.

#10 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 03:17 PM

Until someone can explain exactly what she should have been doing and why, my point stands.

We do have foreign countries who are trying to send aid to us, but they're unable to get in because of clearance and logistics problems.  As Secretary of State, she deals with foreign countries... and that includes accepting aid from them.

Canada's been trying to send things, Russia has several cargo planes full of relief items ready to go... and our Secretary of State is out buying f'ing shoes.   I don't know if the holdups for aid are a direct result of her being out of pocket, but I know damned well that someone in her vaulted position would have been able to do a lot to get those international misunderstandings cleared up and get the ball rolling.

But I hope Spamalot was fun, at least.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#11 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 03:41 PM

Dave: Pardon me if I disagree. Until someone can explain exactly what she should have been doing and why, my point stands.

Well, there's what Zwolf said. Also, if you reject what Zwolf said, it's true that your point stands, but so does mine: it was unseemly for a member of this administration--or a member of Congress, for that matter--to be out on the town at a time when so many are suffering. Think of this as an event equivalent in magnitude and gravity to 9/11--because it is. Wouldn't you have found it disrespectful for, say, Hillary Clinton to be yukking it up in public? It's bizarre...Life goes on, yes, but if my next-door neighbor has a death in the family, I don't host a party. The juxtaposition of fun with grief is just...disrespectful to those who are grieving. Of course, I may be a bit old-fashioned and maybe this is just a matter of taste.

Edited by Spectacles, 02 September 2005 - 03:42 PM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#12 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 03:45 PM

Speaking of federal officials, does anyone know where Cheney is?  Or has been for like the last month?
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#13 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 05:07 PM

^^^^Interesting question Zack. It would seem like coordination of such an effort would be a key role for the VP in such circumstances.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#14 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:47 AM

Anastashia, on Sep 2 2005, 10:07 PM, said:

^^^^Interesting question Zack. It would seem like coordination of such an effort would be a key role for the VP in such circumstances.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Speaking of veeps, Al Gore has had 140 of the most critical NOLA patients flown to his home state of Tennessee for medical.  Go, Al!
--Aristotle

--Eric Hoffer

#15 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:04 AM

MuseZack, on Sep 2 2005, 12:45 PM, said:

Speaking of federal officials, does anyone know where Cheney is?  Or has been for like the last month?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Vacationing.  

Call Me Robin, on Sep 5 2005, 05:47 AM, said:

Anastashia, on Sep 2 2005, 10:07 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Speaking of veeps, Al Gore has had 140 of the most critical NOLA patients flown to his home state of Tennessee for medical.  Go, Al!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Gore didn't just order this, he went and took part.  That picture of him in his jeans and teeshirt looks more real to me than anything taken of Bush in the past five years.  He looks more heroic than Bush in the flightsuit, more presidential than Bush in a business suit, more man of action than Bush in bike shorts.  He's also more of a human being who cares about others than Bush under any circumstances.  

Those levees would have been repaired on his watch.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#16 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:10 AM

Let's put it this way.

Alabama ia Ms. Rice's homestate... It is hardly appropriate to be doing what she did when she could have family amongst the dead and missing, TYVM...

Not from a Political standpoint, but a human one.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#17 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:40 AM

Gore didn't just order this, he went and took part. That picture of him in his jeans and teeshirt looks more real to me than anything taken of Bush in the past five years. He looks more heroic than Bush in the flightsuit, more presidential than Bush in a business suit, more man of action than Bush in bike shorts. He's also more of a human being who cares about others than Bush under any circumstances.

Those levees would have been repaired on his watch.

Nonny

What Nonny said.
Posted Image

#18 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:24 AM

Meanwhile, Hillary Clinton is asking Bush to create a Katrina commission a la the 9/11 commission, to figure out what the heck went wrong.  She also is planning to promote legislation to separate FEMA from the Department of Homeland Security.  Sounds like a good idea to me.
--Aristotle

--Eric Hoffer

#19 Belbo

Belbo

Never Surrender DHARMA

• Islander
  • 476 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:56 PM

Nonny, on Sep 5 2005, 02:04 PM, said:

MuseZack, on Sep 2 2005, 12:45 PM, said:

Speaking of federal officials, does anyone know where Cheney is?  Or has been for like the last month?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Vacationing.
Well, the official word is he's, uh, telecommuting.

The grisliest quote of the week, the one to cut out and keep, came when reporters asked Lea Anne McBride what her boss was doing as New Orleans sank, stank and suppurated. "He's working from Wyoming today," said Vice-President Dick Cheney's official spokesman brightly. At which point - against all odds - you began to feel slightly sorry for George Bush .....

Nobody, in the late 90s when the Republican party searched for a standard-bearer, turned to Bush for his magnificent managerial skills. He'd part-owned a baseball team and part-superintended a small, struggling oil company, but his only relevant job had been governor of Texas. He was chosen as folksy symbol, heir to a dynasty, born-again communicator: and he fitted that bill well enough.

But fine detail and hard grind? No way. This was where Cheney came in: a vice-president apart, deeply experienced runner of defence departments, congressional offices and giant corporations. He'd handle the tough stuff while George did front of house. The rarely posed question in the fifth year of this administration is: whatever happened to that neat division of labour?
  :eh:

#20 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:12 PM

Well, Hurricanehousing.org was mentioned on TV, and it now lists 147,696 beds for displaced people.  Sounds like Move On's members have big hearts!  :)
--Aristotle

--Eric Hoffer

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, Move On

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users