5 replies to this topic

#1 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 05:51 AM

http://news.bbc.co.u...cas/4207202.stm

The New Orleans riverfront has been hit by a series of massive blasts, and fires are raging in the area.
The cause and extent of possible damage is not yet clear. The news comes as troops were sent to quell lawlessness in the city, where desperation grows.

How much more can the big Easy take? 20,000 people at the convention center sleeping amongst human filth and the dead. Corpses floating by houses, sewage infected water, rioting, looting, raping, pillaging.

Call it biblical. Call it apocalyptic. Whatever you want to call it, take your pick," one survivor said.

"There were bodies floating past my front door. I've never seen anything like that," Robert Lewis said, near tears.

More details as they become availabe

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#2 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:57 AM

The explosions are believed to have come from railway cars. Info about it (and about other horrors) are here:

http://www.cnn.com/2...pact/index.html
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#3 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:00 AM

Earlier, police officers told CNN that some of their fellow officers had simply stopped showing up for duty, cutting manpower by 20 percent or more in some precincts. Before Thursday night fell, police were stopping anyone they saw on the street and warning them that they were not safe from armed bands of young men who were attacking people and attempting to rape women.

Unlinked, but on another website I frequent, they mentioned that several cops have said that now that they've lost everything, they won't put their lives on the line against the armed thugs roaming the streets.

it's chilling the stories coming out of NO

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#4 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,548 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:06 AM

CNN just said that the explosions and fires are a result of a chemical fire.  They didn't say if it was a plant or from the railroad car.

Okay...SimCity was never this bad (unless you intentionally started doing these disasters to your city).  So who ever it is, they need to stop, turn off the game and go play with some fluffy bunnies.  Oh and please hit the reset button before you go.

Edited by FnlPrblm, 02 September 2005 - 07:11 AM.

"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#5 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,548 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:33 AM

CNN Update^  The fire is at a railyard and there are no hazardous chemicals reported to be there.  (whew)
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#6 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:06 AM

^
No hazardous chemicals is about the only good thing happening, apparently.... at least with regard to the buildings.  

Yeesh.  :eek:
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hurricane Katrina, Top News, 2005, New Orleans, Riverfront Explosions

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users