• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:19 AM

It's been somewhat astonishing to see the broadcast news outlets, yes even including Fox, begin to drop their usual slavish sucking up to those in power and start to ask hard questions of the politicians they have on their shows excuse-making and patting each other on the backs instead of doing their jobs.  

For a perfect example, here's Anderson Cooper interviewing Senator Mary Landrieu (who is a Democrat, in case anyone's keeping score).  When the transcipt begins, Landrieu has just been burbling about what a great job everyone's been doing with disaster relief:

Senator, I’m sorry… for the last four days, I have been seeing dead bodies here in the streets of Mississippi and to listen to politicians thanking each other and complimenting each other — I have to tell you, there are people here who are very upset and angry, and when they hear politicians thanking one another, it just, you know, it cuts them the wrong way right now, because there was a body on the streets of this town yesterday being eaten by rats because this woman has been laying in the street for 48 hours, and there is not enough facilities to get her up. Do you understand that anger?

LANDRIEU: I have the anger inside of me. Most of the homes in my family have been destroyed. I understand that, and I know all the details, and the President —

COOPER: Well, who are you angry at?

LANDRIEU: I’m not angry at anyone. It is so important for everyone in this nation to pull together, for all military assets to be brought to bear in this situation. I have every confidence this country is great and strong as we can be do to that, and that effort is under way. That effort is under way.

COOPER: Well, I mean, there are a lot of people here who are kind of ashamed of what is happening in this country right now, what is — ashamed of what is happening in your state. And that’s not to blame the people that are there, it is a terrible situation, but you know, who — no one seems to be taking responsibility. I know you say there’s a time and a place for kind of, you know, looking back, but this seems to be the time and the place. There are people that want answers, and people want someone to stand up and say: we should have done more.

"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#2 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:26 AM

Zack;

Have you heard the interview of the New Orleans mayor on NPR…

It’s horrifying…
Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#3 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:27 AM

About time the US media rediscovered it's spine. This is a good thing.

Edited by Godeskian, 02 September 2005 - 09:28 AM.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#4 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:53 AM

I think the head of homeland security is now in the hotseat. President Bush didn't seem very happy this morning when he spoke before leaving for the south. Saying that the relief efforts were unacceptable on public TV said alot to most of the people who spoke afterwards.

From what I undersatnd, they have been following a plan that had been worked out for all national emergencies. One they had worked on for years (Yes, bot Republicans and Demodrats), and it isn't cutting it.

Also, I don't know if anyone here watches Hannity and Combes, but they had several people (including the head of homeland security) on. Both asked some pretty good questions.

#5 Cyncie

Cyncie

Cool Daddio!

• Islander
  • 689 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:54 AM

There are reporters that have been down in the midst of it from the beginning, back when it was just another storm story. If they're telegraphing their own feelings of desperation over the airways, you know they've been filling the ears of their producers and co-workers back in the studio with things we can't possibly imagine.

Let's hope they hold some politician's feet to a very hot fire.

~Cyn

Edited by Cyncie, 02 September 2005 - 09:55 AM.

Goodnight, Sweetheart
Well, it's time to go...

#6 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:42 AM

I watched the MSNBC show Scarbourough Country last night, and was shocked. Had to calm down before I posted here.

Here's the link, you have to scroll down some: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9173591/

But I will tell you what.  It is amateur hour, and it has been amateur hour over the past four or five days.  This is completely different, friends, from the way the crises were handled in Florida last year, four hurricanes, two of them major, it was handled with ruthless efficiency.  I know.  I was there.  That is not happening tonight in New Orleans. 

It sort of does make you wonder why there really hasn't been much of a response? Someone mentioned, in one of the other Katrina threads, that they thought the Government was deliberately being slow in response, to kill off the poor, ect...I dismissed that statement back then, but now I'm not so sure.

What really shocked me was this part.

David, you're an investigative reporter.  Earlier tonight, I heard Haley Barbour saying that Mississippi was caught off guard by the size and scope of this storm.  We heard our last speaker, the mayor, former mayor of New Orleans, saying New Orleans officials, Louisiana officials, caught off guard by the size of this storm.  You are an investigative reporter.  Do you buy that? 

DAVID SHUSTER, NBC CORRESPONDENT:  No.  I mean, the facts are simple.  And the facts in this case, they are less than a week old.  I mean, 36 hours before it hit New Orleans, they knew it was headed for New Orleans.  They knew it was a huge storm. 

SCARBOROUGH:  The president had a press conference. 

SHUSTER:  The president had a press conference.

And 24 hours, they were starting to—they were evacuating the city and they were telling people, get out, get out.  So, I mean, if they are telling people 24 to 36 hours, get out, it's a direct hit on New Orleans, for them to say, well, the politicians were caught by surprise, that's nonsense

David Shuster is absolutely right. WTF! How were they caught off guard?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#7 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 11:15 AM

Cyncie, on Sep 2 2005, 09:54 AM, said:

~Cyn

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. I personally wouldn't mind seeing special elections held when this is all over, and every politician responsible voted out of office...If that means impeaching Bush, then so be it. Because he most certainly is responsible.

Maybe if his brother was Gov of LA instead of Florida the help would've been there when it was suppose to???
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#8 Appreciate

Appreciate
  • Islander
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 11:56 AM

^^^EXACTLY, LotS.

Good thread, Zack, we NEED to pay attention to this.  Now.

Kath
"Any dolt with half a brain/Can see that humankind has gone insane
To the point where I don't know if I'll upset the status quo
If I throw poison in the water main..."
- Billy (aka Dr. Horrible) in My Eyes from the AWESOME Dr. Horrible's SingAlong Blog

#9 gaius claudius

gaius claudius

I'm bringing the sexy back!!

• Islander
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:02 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Sep 2 2005, 12:15 PM, said:

Cyncie, on Sep 2 2005, 09:54 AM, said:

~Cyn

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. I personally wouldn't mind seeing special elections held when this is all over, and every politician responsible voted out of office...If that means impeaching Bush, then so be it. Because he most certainly is responsible.

Maybe if his brother was Gov of LA instead of Florida the help would've been there when it was suppose to???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My God...It must be the  end of the World..when LOS and I are in complete agrreement.... :devil

gc  :devil:
“I seek the truth...it is only persistence in self-delusion and ignorance that does harm.”
- Marcus Aurelius

King Mob 42

#10 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:10 PM

gaius claudius, on Sep 2 2005, 12:02 PM, said:

My God...It must be the  end of the World..when LOS and I are in complete agrreement.... :devil

gc  :devil:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It must be.  ;)

#11 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:12 PM

LotS- I am in agreement with you on some thing but entirely disagreeing with you on others.

You can't blame the president- he is NOT in charge of everything in a hands on manner- he can not be- there is too much out there for any one man, even the President of the United States.  He has to delegate, he has to trust others to know their jobs and do them.

The state government bears much responsibility, so does the city of NO, and the head of FEMA - more so than the President of the United States.

Yes, I hope a lot of politicians, and beuacratic heads roll, but saying that Florida got better help because the of some sort of brotherly favortism is just ridiculous - IIRC FEMA caught some hell on that one because of foul ups.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#12 gaius claudius

gaius claudius

I'm bringing the sexy back!!

• Islander
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:15 PM

Have you heard the phrase.. "The Buck stops here!"?

gc  :devil:
“I seek the truth...it is only persistence in self-delusion and ignorance that does harm.”
- Marcus Aurelius

King Mob 42

#13 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:15 PM

thanks for the thread, Musezack!  

I've noticed, too, in the past day or so, media people are asking the hard questions and repeating them a lot. After all, if their reporters can get into these places in New Orleans to get these pictures of people and looters, where are the national guard and others who should be getting in, too?  After all, Harry Connick junior was inside the city with reporters and photographers following him to the convention center and other places Thursday evening and on the Today show on Friday morning!   At least I saw it on the Today show Friday morning.

Also, pre-Katrina's arrival either Saturday or sunday the mayor of NO and the LA Gov and otherh public officials were on tv warning those they should leave the city.  They didn't have anything much else to say but everyone should leave and this is the storm they'd long feared and everyone should pray that it does't hit as hard as it could.  

I thought they seemed totally helpless in the face of the coming storm but just figured it was anxiety and not the knowledge that they couldn't possibly handle whatever was coming.

I agre with SHAL, that the local, No and State Lousiana, officials have responsibility in this situation.  Although everyone has known for decades that this kind of thing could happen.

Edited by shambalayogi, 02 September 2005 - 12:16 PM.

Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#14 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:16 PM

Shalamar, on Sep 2 2005, 12:12 PM, said:

LotS- I am in agreement with you on some thing but entirely disagreeing with you on others.

You can't blame the president- he is NOT in charge of everything in a hands on manner- he can not be- there is too much out there for any one man, even the President of the United States.  He has to delegate, he has to trust others to know their jobs and do them.

The state government bears much responsibility, so does the city of NO, and the head of FEMA - more so than the President of the United States.

Yes, I hope a lot of politicians, and beuacratic heads roll, but saying that Florida got better help because the of some sort of brotherly favortism is just ridiculous - IIRC FEMA caught some hell on that one because of foul ups.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then explain to me why it's taken over 4 days, 5 hours for aide to arrive? Don't recall his brother's state having to wait that long? Don't recall it taking that long for us to send aide halfway around the world either, for that matter.

Yes, the state officials bear more responsibility...but Bush most certainly IS responsible.

#15 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:22 PM

LotS, I'm not going to argue with you- but that doesn't mean that you are right- The President has to listen to his experts - and if he was told that things were being properly handled, how is he responsible for knowing differently?

I am as horrified as the next that this is happening, but to blame it on one man, even Bush, is really just ridiculous.

and people are getting out of there- over 11 thousand people bused here to Houston alone since Thursday night - and more coming -

It's just 'sexier' for the media to focus on those still there - they do love their 'Dirty Laundry" don't they?

But that said I hope they keep searing us with their stories and pictures- maybe we'll take care not to let this happen again.
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#16 Cyncie

Cyncie

Cool Daddio!

• Islander
  • 689 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:29 PM

There is a lot of blame to go around. From the lack of rescue coordination at the federal level to the lack of leadership and planning at the state and local levels, all the way down the to the casual attitude of those who chose to wait out a hurricane because "it won't happen to New Orleans". When the water is dried up, people are resuced and fed and homes rebuilt, lets just hope that lessons will be learned at all levels, so NOTHING like this ever puts Americans in such a hopeless state again.

~Cyn

Goodnight, Sweetheart
Well, it's time to go...

#17 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:50 PM

You know, I tried to fathom exactly how much work would have to go into handling a mess like this. It boggles my mind to even consider just the effort it would take to evacuate the 20,000 people who were in the Superdome!

I did a little math. To move 20,000 people using nothing but buses, you'd need 455 buses to accomplish that task! Just think of what you'd have to do to come up with enough buses, drivers, and fuel to get those people out of there! Could you do it in a day? Two?

Yeah, I'd be willing to say that disaster relief could be better, but I'm not going to throw blame all over the place because I have no reality on logistics of ahndling a disaster of this magnitude.

#18 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:54 PM

^^But what if it was your *job* to know the reality of the logistics...
The second greatest podcast in the history of ever:
http://geeksonaplain.blogspot.com/

#19 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:55 PM

Yes the local officials are to be blamed also but you know what when the fed gov comes in it's suppose to be in their hands.  The state gov is actually in a state of shock.  It is like that in any disaster.

I'm sorry but Bush has to listen to his advisors.  See that's the prob with Dubya, he should have at least been saying last Saturday-let's try to not make me look bad. :devil:

edit to say doh.

Edited by Hibblette, 02 September 2005 - 12:56 PM.

"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#20 Shalamar

Shalamar

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 12:56 PM

Then I'd have to say looking at what is available - you blew it.

The logistics of this have been horribly mangled and ineptly handled. - given the available evidence.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, Media

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users