119 replies to this topic

#41 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:48 AM

http://www.fema.gov/...e.fema?id=13051

SO why wasn't anything followed up on?

Because the people in the meeting were busy laughing and joking according to the Research that conducted the Simulation.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#42 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 11:18 AM

Actually, a company was hired to do the study on raising the levees to a capability of withstanding a cat 5 hurricane but the study wasn't to begin until 2006.  Considering the coastal problem has always been and the situation of building, maintaining and improving the levees - to the tune of billions of dollars - has been going on since 1965, even though everyone has known a cat 5 hurricane would happen some day, a specific day was unknown.  At least that was until now.

#43 Lord Martock

Lord Martock
  • Islander
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 01:18 PM

Hibblette, on Sep 3 2005, 01:25 AM, said:

It was rather amazing actually. :eek4: The last thing he said before the Camera went off him was "George Bush hates black people."

Now I know that may or may not be true.  But this is the level of anger that is about to emerge strongly.

Why do certain people always claim that it is racial.  I was at work yesterday, one guy I was working with made a comment about this statement.  The man supposed even said that the hurricane was "created" by Bush to kill blacks in New Orleans.  Come on now.

Bush is a rich boy...he has always been rich and will probably always be rich.  Rich people don't care about anything or anyone unless it makes them more money.  That explains why it has taken him so long to respond to the New Orleans problem.  It also explains why we jumped over to Iraq so quickly...problems with oil means no money for Bush.
It's funny...Bush tells us not to buy gas unless we have too, but he is the first one to jump into Air Force One to travel to the disaster area.  Why didn't he cut his vacation short to go down....why did it take him 4+ days to get there?
May the Schwartz be with you.
Remember, No matter where you go....There you are.
It's a trick.....Get the Axe!

Posted Image

#44 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 10:31 PM

Anarch said:

And you're absolutely right that rank incompetence is a lot more frightening than a conspiracy. That's the allure of the conspiracy theory: for all the malevolence and Macchievellian genius, at least someone knows wtf is going on and can control our destinies. There's little more terrifying than the thought that time is truly out of joint.

Oh, yes, indeed. I've become so deeply cynical that I frequently believe that rank incompetence is the rule, and that people must be desperate for signs of intelligence if they must create such ridiculously intricate conspiracy theories. So I have little patience for the conspiracy theorists, because the theories involve so much more cleverness than really seems to exist. :rolleyes:

Lord Martock said:

Why do certain people always claim that it is racial.

Probably because there are a whole lot of black people living in bad circumstances, and they feel put upon and conspired against. Now, I made a racial comment during this disaster aftermath, which was in response to a photo I saw of Bush comforting and hugging a distressed white woman; I observed that, if that was a typical example, he wasn't approaching the angry black victims of the disaster. (That's probably explained by his Secret Service guards feeling that would be a security nightmare.) Slap me for saying that, sorry. *sigh*
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#45 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 10:48 PM

Sorry, I saw him hugging and consoling two young black women then talking with a big burly white guy.  True, those people weren't angry, they were heart broken, crushed, defeated and sad.

#46 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 09:50 AM

eloisel, on Sep 3 2005, 10:48 PM, said:

Sorry, I saw him hugging and consoling two young black women then talking with a big burly white guy.  True, those people weren't angry, they were heart broken, crushed, defeated and sad.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw that also. After seeing that, Bush is either the luckiest man alive (not to run into people who were angry and pissed)...or the secret service ran ahead and assessed the mood of the people, guiding Bush's tour to those not angry and pissed off.

I'm thinking the latter.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#47 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:07 AM

I don't think the clip I saw was in New Orleans but somewhere else in the 90,000 miles of destruction.

#48 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:10 AM

I think it was in Mississippi. And many of those folks are furious at the slowness of the relief response, too.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#49 Lord Martock

Lord Martock
  • Islander
  • 4,281 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:30 AM

"QUOTE(Lord Martock)
Why do certain people always claim that it is racial.

Probably because there are a whole lot of black people living in bad circumstances, and they feel put upon and conspired against. Now, I made a racial comment during this disaster aftermath, which was in response to a photo I saw of Bush comforting and hugging a distressed white woman; I observed that, if that was a typical example, he wasn't approaching the angry black victims of the disaster. (That's probably explained by his Secret Service guards feeling that would be a security nightmare.) Slap me for saying that, sorry. *sigh*"

No problem Norville...I wasn't making that comment off of what you said.  It just seems that when certain individuals feel put out or ignored...they always claim it's racial.  I have seem it from a lot of people...not just blacks, but from all races.  If they get fired for poor performance...it's racial.  If they don't get a promotion...it's racial.  If they don't get a raise...it's racial.  I have worked a lot of jobs most people wouldn't work at because it's BENEATH THEM....so I have had the pleasure of working with a lot of different individuals, blacks, asians, mexicans.  OOPs sorry, I should be PC...African-Americans, Native-Americans, Hispanic-Americans, and Asian-Americans.  Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Don't even get me started on "living in bad circumstances".
May the Schwartz be with you.
Remember, No matter where you go....There you are.
It's a trick.....Get the Axe!

Posted Image

#50 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:34 AM

eloisel, on Sep 4 2005, 10:07 AM, said:

I don't think the clip I saw was in New Orleans but somewhere else in the 90,000 miles of destruction.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No it was in Bilioxi, I think. But where it was doesn't matter. You don't think there are people pissed there, about the slow response from the officials?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#51 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:57 AM

Not in Mississippi!

Never.

:alien:

I do believe he has the Secret Service making sure there ain't no Kanye West out there.

It's their job. :whistle:

Edited by Hibblette, 04 September 2005 - 11:43 AM.

"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#52 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 11:29 AM

On the other hand, we have these:

Shep Smith and Geraldo on Hannity & Colmes

Kanye West as part of the Red Cross

I don't think I've ever seen "cool" people -- that is, people whose professional careers are based on a level of dissociation and composure -- break down like this on TV before.

#53 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 11:33 AM

LOl Geraldo cool? Oh that makes me laugh...

I've disliked his historinics and self promotion for years.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#54 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:12 PM

Shalamar, on Sep 4 2005, 04:33 PM, said:

LOl Geraldo cool? Oh that makes me laugh...

I've disliked his historinics and self promotion for years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Cool" in the sense of disaffected and unattached, not in the sense of hip or anything like that.  It's true, or at least that's been my experience with him: for all his flamboyancy and showmanship, it's rather obviously been faked for the cameras (well, everything except his ego and his vanity, still unfortunately on display in the clip above).

This?  Not so much.  Watch both clips before you judge.

[ETA: Incidentally, how the @#*&$! did Geraldo manage to return to the NOLA convention center yesterday?  I'd normally be pissed at Geraldo for this, but my ire's actually directed towards the fact that if Geraldo could make it in then so could, I dunno, food and water and medical personnel and volunteers and National Guard.  Urgh.]

Another data point here.  Trying to find a clip or transcript, but MSNBC is being remarkably chary at the moment.

Edited by Anarch, 04 September 2005 - 12:15 PM.

#55 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:31 PM

Jefferson Parish President. On Timmeh:

Sir, they were told like me. Every single day. The cavalry is coming. On the federal level. The cavalry is coming. The cavalry is coming. The cavalry is coming. I have just begun to hear the hooves of the cavalry. The cavalry is still not here yet, but I have begun to hear the hooves and were almost a week out.

Three quick examples. We had Wal-mart deliver three trucks of water. Trailer trucks of water. Fema turned them back, said we didn't need them. This was a week go. We had 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel on a coast guard vessel docked in my parish. The coast guard said come get the fuel right way. When we got there with our trucks, they got a word, FEMA says don't give you the fuel. Yesterday, yesterday, fema comes in and cuts all our emergency communications lines. They cut them without notice. Our sheriff, Harry Lee, goes back in. he reconnects the line. He posts armed guards said no one is getting near these lines.

The guy who runs this building I'm in. Emergency management. He's responsible for everything. His mother was trapped in St. Bernard nursing home and every day she called him and said. Are you coming. Son? Is somebody coming? And he said yeah. Mama. Somebody's coming to get you.. Somebody's coming to get you on Tuesday. Somebody's coming to get you on Wednesday. Somebody's coming to get you on Thursday. Somebody's coming to get you on Friday. And she drowned Friday night. And she drowned Friday night. Nobody's coming to get us. Nobody's coming to get us. The Secretary has promised. Everybody's promised. They've had press conferences. I'm sick of the press conferences. For god's sakes, just shut up and send us somebody.

This is just criminal.  Words just fail me.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#56 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:34 PM

Found some clips; Crooks and Liars, my usual source for Sunday morning goodness, doesn't have it yet but fortunately Broussard's words were so potent that others are stepping into the breach.  All links below are directly to the media files; since I'm not sure whether the servers are braced for the load, I'm just linking every version of this I find, because everyone needs to see it.  More to come as I find'em.

From Wonkette

Overspun.com

#57 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:37 PM

Cait, on Sep 4 2005, 12:31 PM, said:

Jefferson Parish President. On Timmeh:

Sir, they were told like me. Every single day. The cavalry is coming. On the federal level. The cavalry is coming. The cavalry is coming. The cavalry is coming. I have just begun to hear the hooves of the cavalry. The cavalry is still not here yet, but I have begun to hear the hooves and were almost a week out.

Three quick examples. We had Wal-mart deliver three trucks of water. Trailer trucks of water. Fema turned them back, said we didn't need them. This was a week go. We had 1,000 gallons of diesel fuel on a coast guard vessel docked in my parish. The coast guard said come get the fuel right way. When we got there with our trucks, they got a word, FEMA says don't give you the fuel. Yesterday, yesterday, fema comes in and cuts all our emergency communications lines. They cut them without notice. Our sheriff, Harry Lee, goes back in. he reconnects the line. He posts armed guards said no one is getting near these lines.

The guy who runs this building I'm in. Emergency management. He's responsible for everything. His mother was trapped in St. Bernard nursing home and every day she called him and said. Are you coming. Son? Is somebody coming? And he said yeah. Mama. Somebody's coming to get you.. Somebody's coming to get you on Tuesday. Somebody's coming to get you on Wednesday. Somebody's coming to get you on Thursday. Somebody's coming to get you on Friday. And she drowned Friday night. And she drowned Friday night. Nobody's coming to get us. Nobody's coming to get us. The Secretary has promised. Everybody's promised. They've had press conferences. I'm sick of the press conferences. For god's sakes, just shut up and send us somebody.

This is just criminal.  Words just fail me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dear God.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#58 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:39 PM

Anarch, on Sep 4 2005, 10:34 AM, said:

Found some clips; Crooks and Liars, my usual source for Sunday morning goodness, doesn't have it yet but fortunately Broussard's words were so potent that others are stepping into the breach.  All links below are directly to the media files; since I'm not sure whether the servers are braced for the load, I'm just linking every version of this I find, because everyone needs to see it.  More to come as I find'em.

From Wonkette

Overspun.com

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks so much for keeping us up to date.  :love:

Source:

#59 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:46 PM

Here's a particularly subtle slip that I would never have caught.  The press conference itself is pretty banal so you'll have to read the post first, then watc the clip in order to catch it.

Michael Chertoff on calling out the National Guard

[ETA: The WMV version is incomplete; you'll need to dl the Quicktime one.]

Cait: Radio Free Anarch, broadcasting loud and clear once more :)

Edited by Anarch, 04 September 2005 - 12:47 PM.

#60 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:57 PM

Anarch, on Sep 4 2005, 10:46 AM, said:

Cait: Radio Free Anarch, broadcasting loud and clear once more :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D  :)  :D

Source:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, Top News 2005, Government failure

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users