Hurricane Katrina Top News 2005 New Orleans Government failure Aftermath

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 05:56 PM

I have to take a break from watching the news about the rescue/relief of Katrina. My blood is boiling.

Just finished watching Nightly news where they showed Bush doing F**king photo ops, when they announced that Bush refused to tour downtown NO. Apparently he's too afraid of the people he pissed off.

And then the mere FACT that a day or two ago he made a press conference where he asked former presidents Clinton and Bush to do raise money like they did for the Tsunami...I'm SHOCKED that those two even had to be asked...Why didn't they volunteer and start raising money on their own? Like they did with the Tsunami....

This government is too damn greedy for it's own good. And that greed is going to turn it's own people against them. On the news at least one poor black woman, in tears, cried that she never wanted to come back to NO...Can't help but wonder if that was the Government's reason for delaying...along with their wanting the most money from high gas prices.

Afterall, it doesn't pay for them to rebuild poor people's homes...the poor can't afford it, and can't afford to repay what it costs. So it's only good business for them to delay relief, make people pissed so that they never return, and then they can sell that land to those who can afford it.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#2 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:15 PM

I think you have an excellent idea, here, LofS.
Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#3 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:18 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Sep 2 2005, 03:56 PM, said:

Afterall, it doesn't pay for them to rebuild poor people's homes...the poor can't afford it, and can't afford to repay what it costs. So it's only good business for them to delay relief, make people pissed so that they never return, and then they can sell that land to those who can afford it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to admit that I wondered if any big developers had an eye on the area.  I also planned on searching around to see if it could be in any way one of the reasons aide was delayed.  Shows how jaded I am.  

Can you imagine what someone could do with a leveled piece of land like NO? I also wondered what would happen to all the real estate loans in the area.  Someone could buy up land at 10 cents on the dollar.  You can be sure of one thing, profiteers will get rich, and the poor will still be poor, displaced, and homeless.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#4 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 06:20 PM

Good idea, LOTS.
I've been trying to limit my TV news about this disaster for the last few days. It is easy to keep updated from the internet, and I find that the TV is often repetitive in its coverage, and often frustrating to watch politicians and other officials in interviews when it seems to me they aren't in control of the situation and are covering their own asses rather than helping.
The second greatest podcast in the history of ever:
http://geeksonaplain.blogspot.com/

#5 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:01 PM

I've been flipping back and forth through CNN, Fox, and MSNBC on TV...fortunately for me, they'e all next to each other.

Here's an interesting statement:

http://www.foxnews.c...,168246,00.html

It makes no sense to spend billions of dollars to rebuild a city that's seven feet under sea level, House Speaker Dennis Hastert (search) said of federal assistance for hurricane-devastated New Orleans.

Democratic lawmakers from Louisiana were quick to disagree Thursday and Hastert sought to clarify the comment during the day.

"It looks like a lot of that place could be bulldozed," the Illinois Republican said in an interview about New Orleans Wednesday with the Daily Herald of Arlington Heights, Ill.

The Future...Unless Things Change.

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made? A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

#6 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:25 PM

Well there are those that don't want to come back but there are those that are just mad and ... well the big mama's of Louisiana don't mess with them.

The thing is some of those people who say they aren't going back this is a common thing among people who have gone through something like this.

I have a friend who barely made it to her storm shelter with her two little boys back some twenty years ago.  In fact she literally had to pull to get the youngest one in because the Tornado was trying to pull him away.  She told her husband they were selling and moving and the house stayed on the market a good three months.  But eventually the sign came down and I do believe she still lives there.

They are NOT going to get those people to leave.  Sorry, the people are who make NO.  No matter how much they develop it...it still is in a very precarious position of being hit hard by future storms.

This is not the first storm to hit them and there have been cat 5's in the past.

All that these "officials" are going to end up doing is cutting their own throats.  It's so stupid that they don't see this.

I know these people.  They are a tough, hardy breed of cat and well.....
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#7 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 07:34 PM

what they need to do once they can drain the water is salvage the historical areas as best as possible, bulldoze what's left of the modern crap, FILL IN THE BLOODY LAND, and THEN rebuild.  if they had filled in the land better before building on it the breaking of the Ponchartrain floodwall might not have been so bad.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#8 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:07 PM

Unfortunately that would probably require a 10 year Environmental Impact Study, filling in marshland and all.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#9 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:49 PM

You have to take a break sometimes from the news.

I don't watch the news channels at all...only the network local and national news

I find that the constant bombardment of news on the all news, all the time channels tends to send me into depression and/or anxiety

AS to people coming back or not to NO....there will be those who go back as soon as they can and those who decide they have had enough....or find new lives wherever they settle especially if it for an extended period

I was impressed by the folks who were already talking about looking for work or had managed to collect  job applications before they got into the Astrodome.

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hurricane Katrina, Top News, 2005, New Orleans, Government failure, Aftermath

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users