Hurricane Gulf Coast Top News 2005 Bush Speaks

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:31 PM

The good news is -- and it's hard for some to see it now -- that out of this chaos is going to come a fantastic Gulf Coast, like it was before. Out of the rubbles of Trent Lott's house -- he's lost his entire house -- there's going to be a fantastic house. And I'm looking forward to sitting on the porch. (Laughter.)

http://www.whitehous...20050902-2.html
The second greatest podcast in the history of ever:
http://geeksonaplain.blogspot.com/

#2 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:34 PM

Heard that on NPR on the way home from work, and my jaw just about hit the floor.

Words can't describe how appalled I am.

Edited by Niko, 02 September 2005 - 08:34 PM.

#3 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:36 PM

George W. Bush trolls New Orleans. :lol:
The Future...Unless Things Change.

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made? A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

#4 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:54 PM

You forgot to quote the part after the obligatory joke-

THE PRESIDENT: Out of New Orleans is going to come that great city again. That's what's going to happen. But now we're in the darkest days, and so we got a lot of work to do. And I'm down here to thank people. I'm down here to comfort people. I'm down here to let people know that we're going to work with the states and the local folks with a strategy to get this thing solved.

Trolls NO? Don't see how.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#5 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:57 PM

You know...

Why does he think he has to say it?

In my opinion, just my opinion, why isn't he just doing these things and not advertising he's doing it.

Just do it.

But no he has to make a big deal out of it.  

He's such a .... arghhhhhh.

Edited by Hibblette, 02 September 2005 - 08:57 PM.

"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#6 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:03 PM

ZipperInt, on Sep 2 2005, 08:31 PM, said:

The good news is -- and it's hard for some to see it now -- that out of this chaos is going to come a fantastic Gulf Coast, like it was before. Out of the rubbles of Trent Lott's house -- he's lost his entire house -- there's going to be a fantastic house. And I'm looking forward to sitting on the porch. (Laughter.)

http://www.whitehous...20050902-2.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One more thing-this is very akin to "Let them eat cake."
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#7 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:32 PM

If he didn't say anything then people would be damning him for not "appropriately referencing the disaster" just like he was pilloried for not going down to the area sooner  or any of the other stuff. Reading the whole thing I don't see what is wrong with his speech. There are actually serious issues here and this isn't one of them at all.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#8 ZipperInt

ZipperInt
  • Islander
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:53 PM

Tennyson, as always you are the voice of reason. And while I agree with you that this isn't a serious issue I felt it was worth bringing up.

I was struck at the contrast between what President Bush said in this quote as I saw him on the ground touring some of the disaster area and meeting residents. I think the quote in question is startling, even in context to the rest of the speech, and while I don't think President Bush is a bad person, it seems that he has a bad habit of doing things which make him seem disconnected from his citizens.
The second greatest podcast in the history of ever:
http://geeksonaplain.blogspot.com/

#9 Morrhigan

Morrhigan
  • Islander
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:04 PM

I can't believe I'm defending George Bush, but... I've actually been somewhat impressed by what I've seen of him on the news today.

Why doesn't he just do things without advertising it? Because if a leader isn't seen leading, people feel like no one's in charge, no one cares, no one is getting anything done. Having the top guy visibly doing his job is reassuring at a time when people desperately need reassurance.

So Bush refuses to go into downtown NO? Well, DUH. How exactly is it going to help anyone if he gets hit by a sniper bullet? I'd be appalled if the Secret Service even considered letting him go into that security nightmare.

He even said something that impressed me (which may be a first for GWB). A reporter asked him if New Orleans needed to be re-engineered, or if it should be rebuilt as it was before, he said that he would defer to experts who actually knew what they were talking about before offering an opinion.

As for Trent Lott's house, well hey - in disaster situations, people often use gallows humor to deal with the trauma. Ask any fireman or paramedic. It wasn't the most sensitive thing to say, but it's hardly the first time he's put his foot in his mouth. I think he's genuinely trying to raise people's spirits, and one way to do that is with humor.

Oh, lookie there... hell's freezing over... :lol:
Posted Image

#10 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:20 PM

There was definitely someone dropping the ball in this disaster story.
I watched 20 20 tonight and though it's not all that clear who it was to me, there is an official area that was not even aware that there was a problem in New Orleans until Thursday?

The question was, "Don't you folks watch the news?"

I didn't much care for GB saying that there would be zero tolerance for looters, even if they where only stealing food and water?

Oh come on, stealing food and water to survive, is not theft.
Not in this situation.
7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

#11 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:21 PM

It's true he should have said more specifics today, and say some things back Wednesday... but what he said today wasnt bad just typical Him.
Dont forget that he came down there with the congressional delegation of Miss. and all hosted by the gov of Miss., so Sen. Lott was standing right beside Bush, and so Bush made an allegorical thing about Lott's house as to represent all Mississippians and their homes: a good bit I think.

I do think this NewO mayor should have been making more specific requests to the LA gov by Mon night, Tuesday earliest, and she should have been making more direct requests straight to Bush even in Texas filled with highly specific needs in her requests, so Bush could have been getting his Mr Homeland guy who was completey clueless into high gear by Tues night and then give Wash. even more details by phone on Air force one in the air while touring the area Wed. - that would have been real leadership, rather than an I Care tour on the ground Friday, which wasn't bad but would have Meant so much More if he'd done all those things BEFORE: and if Her Highness Gov of LA had done more WITH him!

the mayor should have had more plans, ideas of needs and what to request and be specific, all to the gov who should have been liplocked on the phone with Bush, but I see nothing that they were doing those things; the mayor was just on a radio station all angry with Need Help and sort of an 'I got nothing' type sound, cursing and all, but was he specific in his requests starting Sunday or Mon? did he speak with the gov the whole time, or even twice? if he had no phone why didn't he get to a place where he Could by Sun night so he wouldnt get cut off? did he not realize what can happen, he's the mayor! And where was she? Baton Rouge? couldn't she mobilize things from there then take a chopper on down Tuesday? and be on the phone with Bush or mr Homeland? is she just clueless, or does she care? it's her state. The gov of Miss. cares and was all over the place getting what help he could including mobilizing his own national guard and comm. with Wash.
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#12 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 11:38 PM

D.Rabbit, on Sep 3 2005, 03:20 AM, said:

I didn't much care for GB saying that there would be zero tolerance for looters, even if they where only stealing food and water?

Oh come on, stealing food and water to survive, is not theft.
Not in this situation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bush was hardly the first to say that, since both the governors of Mississippi and Louisiana had both very publically stated there would be no tolerance for looters, scammers, price gougers, and con men preying upon their citizens.

I agree that food and water I cannot blame them for, but for the portion of thie dispossessed that have formed themselves into armed gangs - shooting at citizens, at cops, at each other, and raping I sure as hell can take a strong opinion against.

And I have no problem with Bush not going down to an unsecured and potentially dangerous area, the last thing we need to add to this is a presidential assassination, and the secret service knew it.

#13 Nikcara

Nikcara

confused little imp

• Islander
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 01:43 PM

I have no problem with GW not going to downtown NO.  There's nothing he could do, and it won't help anyone if he gets shot and killed.  But I don't like the fact that he seems to be going down for a few good photo ops and critizing everybody else.  Yes, many things have been botched, but what he should be doing is sitting down and figuring out what to do about it instead of sitting around and saying "you're doing this badly!" to everyone.  You can't tell me he doesn't have the politcal clout to allow the Red Cross in or to get it so people donanting food and water can actually GIVE the food and water to the disaster area.  As far as I'm concerned, he should have called FEMA and told them that they WILL accept the aid from other cities and that they WILL help organize and help logistics.  That's why the bloody program is there in the first place.

Also, I would like to respond to the quip about GW just using gallows humor.  Yes, we in EMS do it all the time.  I, nor anyone else I know of, say those things to our patients.  We don't say those things in public gatherings, and many of don't even use that humor very much with people outside the field.  Why?  IT'S INAPPROPRATE.  Once I get back to the firestation I may make jokes about the fatal car wreck I just worked...BUT I DON'T MAKE THOSE JOKES TO THE FAMILY OF THE VICTIM, OR ON TV.  That's basically what GW was doing, and that's why it's making people like myself angry and I'm certain isn't humoring the people who have family down there.
We have fourty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse  -- Rudyard Kipling

Develop compassion for your enemies, that is genuine compassion.  Limited compassion cannot produce this altruism.  -- H. H. the Dalai Lama

#14 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 02:07 PM

I'm sorry.  I don't see what is wrong with that speech.  The President addressed the situation and the humor was not gallow's or otherwise mean spirited.  If I had lost everything, been displaced form my home, the President promising to rebuild the communities would be a good thing.  

I watched the rescue efforts from about 6 this morning until about 9.  It is going fast.  There are still some problems - I haven't gotten an update on the reasons for them - but the President is hardly sitting around pointing blame instead of kicking the various organizations into gear to get the problem solved.

#15 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 04:46 PM

I don't think the joke was offensive. What I find offensive is the utterly inept and therefore deadly rescue response. And for that I blame everyone. I'm just generally POd about it.

I suppose it's no secret that I think Bush is one of the worst Presidents this country has ever had. But I was still glad to see him go there--even if I didn't find him inspiring. If it made any one of that damnable hurricane's victims feel better for him to go there, it was a good thing.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#16 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 05:07 PM

It's not offensive necessarily except...

Here everyone is talking about the poor of NO and he's talking about a Senator's house.  Which I doubt seriously it will be a Jim Walker. :whistle:

#17 Caretaker

Caretaker
  • Islander
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 06:17 PM

Seriously.  I'm at the point that I just don't care about anything Bush says and I now just drown out the noise.

I'm still trying to get past the whole issues of how all that money devoted to levees got diverted to the conflict in Iraq.

#18 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 06:24 PM

Caretaker, on Sep 3 2005, 04:17 PM, said:

Seriously.  I'm at the point that I just don't care about anything Bush says and I now just drown out the noise.

I'm still trying to get past the whole issues of how all that money devoted to levees got diverted to the conflict in Iraq.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I've been reading elsewhere, underfunding the levees goes way beyond the current administration. Also, can you show me the bill that specifically states that the exact money to be spent on the levees was diverted *specifically* to the war? Otherwise, you just as easily say the money was diverted for some pork barrel project Sen Byrd has going in W. Va.

Furthermore, I've read elsewhere that the sections of the levee that broke were ones that had already been upgraded!

#19 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 06:50 PM

the levee projects first started after hurricane betsy hit in 1965.  they've been inadequate for anything Cat 3 or above pretty much all this time, and everyone knew it.  Against a cat 1 or 2 storm they would more than likely hold, Cat 3 or above the chances go do dramatically, plus 40 odd years of erosion or so.

#20 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 07:10 PM

Ah yes Bush took cash away..... ANd this is just another way to accuse him with nothing but BS to back it up.

The upgrades were made but still no one ever considered a Cat.5 Storm hitting the area. Why? Because a Cat.5 Storm is about as realistic to prepare for as trying to drive a big wheel through a carwash with all the surface area covered with toasters and expect it to not short out.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hurricane, Gulf Coast, Top News 2005, Bush Speaks

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users