• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 10:04 PM

eloisel, on Sep 3 2005, 08:02 PM, said:

How has the administration dragged their feet on this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please see my other threads about how the government dragged it's feet...too tired right now to repeat it, yet again.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#22 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 10:26 PM

Excuse me WP, but no where did G say it ws Clintons fault- what he said was that Clinton used Haliburton too- that does in no wat blame Clinton.

I think your ridiculing of G was definitely uncalled for.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#23 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 10:34 PM

Perhaps that should have been the "CLINTON DID IT, TOO!!!" meme, then.

Sorry.  I was imprecise.
Posted Image

#24 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 10:43 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Sep 4 2005, 03:04 AM, said:

eloisel, on Sep 3 2005, 08:02 PM, said:

How has the administration dragged their feet on this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please see my other threads about how the government dragged it's feet...too tired right now to repeat it, yet again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, ok ... assessment of damages and rebuild efforts of damaged naval installations should have happened sooner than 4 days after the event.  Again ... no matter what, it isn't good enough or fast enough.

#25 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 10:44 PM

G1223, on Sep 3 2005, 06:00 PM, said:

OK I will try to explain again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay.  

Halliburton is a company that hanldes the LOGISTICS.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which the armed forces used to do for itself.

That is big word meaning moving supplies to where the Armed Forces say we want something put.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Almost.  Actually, logistics is the branch of military operations that deals with the procurement, distribution, maintenance, and replacement of materiel and personnel.  

Halliburton has warehouses in key points across the globe With pre positioned supplies await transportation when needed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They have purchase agents who buy the supplies from manufactures in huge bulk to get cost savings.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who are paid significantly better than any service member ever was for doing the same job.  

They own companies that handle the mainence on the building and ships placed into their care.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This company has been used by EVERY ADMINISTRATION since the company got started.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I don't know when the company got started, but it was during the Ford administration that they took over logistics for the armed forces.  We heard about this big private company that was taking over, and we were mighty skeptical.  

Because they had no one to compete with.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And that's the scary part.  

Those stories about how much the federal government pays for hammers and stuff?  Started when Halliburton took over.  :suspect:  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#26 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 10:49 PM

Why doesn't the military still do all this stuff outsourced to Halliburton?

#27 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 11:03 PM

eloisel, on Sep 3 2005, 07:49 PM, said:

Why doesn't the military still do all this stuff outsourced to Halliburton?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because the military got sold down the river to Halliburton.  The military had no choice.  It was done so that it would look like we had a smaller standing army.  Get rid of the troops in charge of outfitting the troops, badda bing, badda bang, you got smaller numbers, once the crunching is finished.  Problem is, you still need the jobs formerly done by soldiers taking soldier's pay, so you hand them off to civilians, but now you also have profit margins and stockholders (not to mention lobbyists to wine and dine Congress).  

Nonny
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#28 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 11:08 PM

Also Nonny doesn't this have the purpose of making the Volunteer military look good, not just the smaller numbers but recruiters can say you don't do work like that anymore?
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#29 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 11:56 PM

Hibblette, on Sep 3 2005, 08:08 PM, said:

Also Nonny doesn't this have the purpose of making the Volunteer military look good, not just the smaller numbers but recruiters can say you don't do work like that anymore?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, the supply sergeants and airmen I knew liked the job.  :)  I liked my job too, but they never pulled 12 hour shifts 7 days a week.  :oh:  

Nonny
Posted Image

#30 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 11:58 PM

Any movement to put these duties back in the military instead of outsourcing them?

#31 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:04 AM

eloisel, on Sep 3 2005, 08:58 PM, said:

Any movement to put these duties back in the military instead of outsourcing them?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Halliburton lobbyists might have something to say about that, more's the pity.  :angry:  

Nonny
Posted Image

#32 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 06:39 AM

Yep, Halliburton and its subsidiaries are here to stay. Consider that Cheney went from being Bush I's Rumsfeld (head of DOD) to CEO of Halliburton then on to Bush II's VP. And there are plenty of politicians from both parties who have gone back and forth through the semipermeable membrane separating Halliburton and government. Be nice to Halliburton and Hallburton will take care of you--if you're a politician.

Also, if there ever were a popular movement to restore logistics to the military, the propaganda machine would whir into overdrive. Halliburton is unfairly targeted by leftwing kooks who hate Bush. Halliburton is simply what all Americans should admire above all other things: a successful corporation. Taking business away from Halliburton and giving it to the Pentagon is communistic. Etc. Etc. So we're probably stuck with it.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#33 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 06:54 AM

Hey it could have been Bechtel!
http://www.boston.co...led_with_leaks/
from Massachusetts, Land of a Thousand Leaks.

#34 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:22 AM

The association of Halliburton with the military goes back, ultimately, to LBJ and Vietnam.  Kellog, Brown and Root (KBR) is now a subsidiary of Halliburton, but it was the original military support corp.  It was a Texas company with deep financial ties to Frank Ervin, LBJ, John Connally, John Tower and much of the rest of the state's political establishment.  KBR was as corrupt as they were in the 60's and 70's, and there's no reason to think that they or their now-parent corporation have changed for the better.
Posted Image

#35 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:22 AM

eloisel, on Sep 3 2005, 10:43 PM, said:

Oh, ok ... assessment of damages and rebuild efforts of damaged naval installations should have happened sooner than 4 days after the event. 

*sigh*

No. Delivery of food and water, evacuating the people, providing security to the people should've happened much, much, sooner. And there is no reason why it shouldn't have been done sooner. As one reporter on MSNBC mentioned. He covered Iraq. The military, including national guardsmen, have the ability to send a small force in, make a landing zone for supplies, secure that LZ, then have the rest of the troops land and continue with whatever mission they have. There's no reason why a small force couldn't have made a LZ near the convention center or Superdome, secured it, started handing out food and water, ect.

And all the while this is being done, others in charge can be doing the damage assessments, ect.

Again ... no matter what, it isn't good enough or fast enough.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When a lot of people die because the officials in charge delay and drag their feet, you're damned right it isn't fast, or good, enough.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#36 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:33 AM

LORD of the SWORD, on Sep 4 2005, 01:22 PM, said:

eloisel, on Sep 3 2005, 10:43 PM, said:

Oh, ok ... assessment of damages and rebuild efforts of damaged naval installations should have happened sooner than 4 days after the event. 

*sigh*
Sorry to be one of the billion things in this world that pi$$es you off, LOtS, however, the topic post was about the naval installations.  How much screaming would you have done if Pres. Bush, this administration, and the emergency response team had gone in minute one and started on the naval installations before getting to New Orleans or the other 90,000 miles of devastated area and suffering citizens?

#37 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:38 AM

eloisel, on Sep 4 2005, 08:33 AM, said:

Sorry to be one of the billion things in this world that pi$$es you off, LOtS, however, the topic post was about the naval installations.  How much screaming would you have done if Pres. Bush, this administration, and the emergency response team had gone in minute one and started on the naval installations before getting to New Orleans or the other 90,000 miles of devastated area and suffering citizens?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't piss me off. I just felt that you didn't understand what I was saying. And I sighed because I really didn't want to repeat, again, how I feel the administration dragged it's feet. I thought I made my arguments for that pretty clear in the other threads about Katrina. You asked how the administration was dragging it's feet. I replied.

If they had just dealt with the Naval installations and not done anything for the people I'd be pissed. As would anybody else.

#38 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:40 AM

Nonny, on Sep 3 2005, 11:56 PM, said:

Hibblette, on Sep 3 2005, 08:08 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, the supply sergeants and airmen I knew liked the job.  :)  I liked my job too, but they never pulled 12 hour shifts 7 days a week.  :oh:  

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually I know that.  My father was in the AF for 20 years.  He thinks it's extremely crazy that the military does this.

I could just hear recruiters with this line.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#39 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:42 AM

waterpanther, on Sep 4 2005, 08:22 AM, said:

The association of Halliburton with the military goes back, ultimately, to LBJ and Vietnam.  Kellog, Brown and Root (KBR) is now a subsidiary of Halliburton, but it was the original military support corp.  It was a Texas company with deep financial ties to Frank Ervin, LBJ, John Connally, John Tower and much of the rest of the state's political establishment.  KBR was as corrupt as they were in the 60's and 70's, and there's no reason to think that they or their now-parent corporation have changed for the better.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sure when we're corrupt in Texas-we're big.

:wacko:

Edited by Hibblette, 04 September 2005 - 08:43 AM.

#40 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:45 AM

Since Halliburton has taken over things the military used to do for itself, and charges a lot more for doing the same things...I say we let Halliburton take over the fighting and the dying in wars also.

Anyone want to place bets on how fast Halliburton will drop their contract if their employees, including the upper management, have to start fighting the wars also?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, Top News 2005, Halliburton, KBR, Naval Installations

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users