#41 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:47 AM

eloisel, on Sep 4 2005, 08:33 AM, said:

LORD of the SWORD, on Sep 4 2005, 01:22 PM, said:

eloisel, on Sep 3 2005, 10:43 PM, said:

Oh, ok ... assessment of damages and rebuild efforts of damaged naval installations should have happened sooner than 4 days after the event. 

*sigh*
Sorry to be one of the billion things in this world that pi$$es you off, LOtS, however, the topic post was about the naval installations.  How much screaming would you have done if Pres. Bush, this administration, and the emergency response team had gone in minute one and started on the naval installations before getting to New Orleans or the other 90,000 miles of devastated area and suffering citizens?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually this thread sort of points to the possibility of why they dragged their feet in the beginning about everything.

That's how I interpreted the "Things that make you go Hmmmm."

Maybe it wasn't the intention of the original poster but that is how I interpreted it.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#42 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:50 AM

Unfortunately, we're still corrupt in Texas, and still doing it big.  Tom DeLay comes to mind.
Posted Image

#43 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Hibblette, on Sep 4 2005, 08:47 AM, said:

Actually this thread sort of points to the possibility of why they dragged their feet in the beginning about everything.

Maybe it wasn't the intention of the original poster but that is how I interpreted it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's how I interpreted it also.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#44 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Hibblette, on Sep 4 2005, 01:47 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do you think it points to why they dragged their feet in the beginning about everything?

#45 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:52 AM

eloisel, on Sep 4 2005, 08:50 AM, said:

How do you think it points to why they dragged their feet in the beginning about everything?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because it provide motive for why they didn't send aid to the people faster. That motive is greed. They wanted to wait until their buddies in Halliburton got the job of clean up, so they could make more money.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#46 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:53 AM

Julianus, on Sep 4 2005, 06:54 AM, said:

Hey it could have been Bechtel!
http://www.boston.co...led_with_leaks/
from Massachusetts, Land of a Thousand Leaks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HELL NO! If they gave it to them, NO would still be underwater years from now.

#47 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:56 AM

waterpanther, on Sep 4 2005, 08:50 AM, said:

Unfortunately, we're still corrupt in Texas, and still doing it big.  Tom DeLay comes to mind.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know.

Ain't we got gumption.  
:hehe:
I know WP-it's maddening.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#48 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 09:10 AM

Hibblette, on Sep 4 2005, 01:47 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hurricanes and Halliburton
Things that make you go Hmmmm

I read that and thought Hmmmm.

I thought about the threads that LoTS and I and even you have been on discussing about why they didn't get there sooner, who was to blame, who has cut the levee budget 4 times, were the people just suppose to suffer, Why....Why....why.

And then D'Monix posts this.

And I have to agree with LoTS and wonder if it wasn't because the desperation would send them to these vultures.  Right now it's for the Navy but the next thing we will hear (I'm very cynical) is that it's for the whole city.

And yea it ain't happened yet but...

It's all cynicism on my part-I know that.

#49 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 09:13 AM

LORD of the SWORD, on Sep 4 2005, 01:52 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Because it provide motive for why they didn't send aid to the people faster. That motive is greed. They wanted to wait until their buddies in Halliburton got the job of clean up, so they could make more money.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The clean up in the topic post is with regards to the naval installations.  The contract would go to Halliburton anyway because of the military association.  Halliburton did not receive a contract to assess damages to and rebuild New Orleans.  Those contracts will more than likely be handled by the local levels of government.  It would not behoove fed gov't to "drag their feet" so Halliburton could get the naval installation clean up contract and they wouldn't make more money from it through delay tactics.

Further, even if Halliburton were to receive contracts to assess damages to and rebuild any or all of New Orleans, delay tactics would not be necessary to receive said contract(s).  The damage was done day one and two by Hurricane Katrina and will not go away by itself.  Hurricane Katrina did not rip up the coast so Halliburton could make more money.  Hurricane Katrina is a natural disaster.  Despite popular belief, President Bush, VP Cheney, Halliburton had no authority over Hurricane Katrina.

#50 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 09:15 AM

With Blackwater mercs for security.
Posted Image

#51 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 09:29 AM

eloisel, on Sep 4 2005, 09:13 AM, said:

LORD of the SWORD, on Sep 4 2005, 01:52 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The clean up in the topic post is with regards to the naval installations.  The contract would go to Halliburton anyway because of the military association.  Halliburton did not receive a contract to assess damages to and rebuild New Orleans.  Those contracts will more than likely be handled by the local levels of government.  It would not behoove fed gov't to "drag their feet" so Halliburton could get the naval installation clean up contract and they wouldn't make more money from it through delay tactics.

Further, even if Halliburton were to receive contracts to assess damages to and rebuild any or all of New Orleans, delay tactics would not be necessary to receive said contract(s).  The damage was done day one and two by Hurricane Katrina and will not go away by itself.  Hurricane Katrina did not rip up the coast so Halliburton could make more money.  Hurricane Katrina is a natural disaster.  Despite popular belief, President Bush, VP Cheney, Halliburton had no authority over Hurricane Katrina.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I Disagree.

The delay tactics helped put more desperation to the people.  There's people throwing theirselves off bridges by Thursday.  Response time in situations like this is crucial to the state mind of the people.

I've talked about the Galveston tragedy, go read this:

http://www.1900storm.com/

I know this was back in 1900 and things were different but the response time of the military was by the next day.  The people were having committee meetings within that week and they had a hand in on the design of the sea wall and the design of the city.  And even back then they absorbed most of the cost. :eek4:

Right now, due to this delay (also the blame being shifted totally to the state and local level) the spirit is anger.  Nothing can be accomplished with that.

Well maybe not nothing.  There could be repercussions on down the line. :whistle:

#52 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 11:51 AM

and what you just said has nothing to do with Halliburtion recieving a contract to rebuild a naval facility at all.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#53 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:09 PM

Add in that by the 1900's that their were a HUGE number of military forts in Texas. Usually near rail heads some of these places being a couple of hundred miles away.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#54 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 01:51 PM

Well, yes.  But soldiers coming from Ft. Sam still travelled 218 miles.  While several railroads passed through SA, it's a pretty good guess that the railhead in Galveston was washed out. That meant the troopers had to get down and march the last few miles.  They were still on-site the next day.  They still beat the current federal effort by three days.
Posted Image

#55 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:21 PM

tennyson, on Sep 4 2005, 11:51 AM, said:

and what you just said has nothing to do with Halliburtion recieving a contract to rebuild a naval facility at all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey you say rebuilding, the article say the electricity and water and roof repair is what they are there for.

I say the next step is handing everything over to these greedy bastards.

Edited by Hibblette, 04 September 2005 - 02:22 PM.

#56 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:23 PM

waterpanther, on Sep 4 2005, 01:51 PM, said:

Well, yes.  But soldiers coming from Ft. Sam still travelled 218 miles.  While several railroads passed through SA, it's a pretty good guess that the railhead in Galveston was washed out. That meant the troopers had to get down and march the last few miles.  They were still on-site the next day.  They still beat the current federal effort by three days.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And rail travel in 1900 was not like rail travel of today.

#57 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:28 PM

That is by definition rebuilding. I have no idea what else you were trying to say.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#58 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:31 PM

Yes but the locals shot looters in those days rather than try to understand their social problems.  And No looters were those stealing valuables not food and water. But those folks also left the area because there was no food and water comming into them.

So the troops rolling in did not need to maintain order as well as other duties and could actually help with actual relief. Guess the political leaders of that period took action because they knew it would a long time till FEDERAL aid was going to get in.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#59 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:34 PM

So the troops rolling in did not need to maintain order as well as other duties and could actually help with actual relief. Guess the political leaders of that period took action because they knew it would a long time till FEDERAL aid was going to get in.

Source?

And just a side note:

I really hate to bust up anyone's idyllic notions of Texas history, but it's been against the law here for citizens to shoot each other for a long, long time.  Just as an example, when two political factions in my home town gunned each other down in the main plaza back in 1886, the Buffalo Soldiers from the local fort marched in to kick the ijits apart and disarm them, and the governor sent troops in from San Antonio.  (By train, incidentally, at the headlong clip of 27 miles per hour.)

Those soldiers in Galveston were there to keep order.  And by-the-by, the Army is federal aid.

Edited by waterpanther, 04 September 2005 - 02:50 PM.

Posted Image

#60 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 03:00 PM

G1223, on Sep 4 2005, 02:31 PM, said:

Yes but the locals shot looters in those days rather than try to understand their social problems.  And No looters were those stealing valuables not food and water. But those folks also left the area because there was no food and water comming into them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No it was the military that shot looters on site.

And relief as in supplies was there in the next day also.

Like WP said...we Texans don't go around shooting one another all the time-that stopped after the Yankees left after the Civil war.  :howling:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, Top News 2005, Halliburton, KBR, Naval Installations

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users