Hurricane Katrina Top News 2005 Levee Repair Bush Photo-op

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 11:17 PM

You know what the problem is around here?  People are too happy.  They're too content. They're footloose and fancy-free, unconcerned with a world that is simply too perfect to be anything other than at-ease.

I aim to change that.

Discuss.

[In particular, Dutch and/or German readers, can you confirm this?]

#2 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 11:26 PM

Really, can we get any confirmation of this story?

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 11:46 PM

If it is true, I'm not going to be mad at Bush for it.  I've had too many run ins with the press "creating" the news to really see this as anything more than business as usual.  But that's going to be another long discussion...

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#4 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 11:48 PM

Then, of course, there's the fact that the "state homeland security department" (I'm not sure if that's a state organization or a state branch of the federal DHS) won't let the Red Cross back into New Orleans, at least partly on the grounds that  the ARC's presence would -- and this is a quote -- "keep people from evacuating and encourage others to come into the city."

Not that that's related.  I'm just mildly irritated right now, is all.

#5 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 11:52 PM

Sorry, I'm just all out of outrage at this point.  Just heartsick, especially after reading things like this:

http://apnews.myway..../D8CD42BO0.html

Three babies died at the New Orleans Convention Center from heat exhaustion, said Mark Kyle, a medical relief provider.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#6 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 11:55 PM

MuseZack, on Sep 4 2005, 04:52 AM, said:

Three babies died at the New Orleans Convention Center from heat exhaustion, said Mark Kyle, a medical relief provider.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank God Chertoff found out about that Convention Center on Thursday.  Just think how many more might have died in the interim.

</gallows humor>

#7 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 03:20 AM

Welcome home Anarch!!!!!!  And yeah, what Zack said.  It's just so sad this illustration of ill preparedness and unresponsiveness.  It's really beyond words.

Lil
Posted Image

#8 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:29 AM

Una Salus Lillius, on Sep 4 2005, 03:20 AM, said:

And yeah, what Zack said.  It's just so sad this illustration of ill preparedness and unresponsiveness.  It's really beyond words.

Lil

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't call it ill prepared, since they DID KNOW what would happen if a big one hit. See the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9175204/

When experts tell you what's going to happen, it's hard to say "We didn't know. We were unprepared."
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#9 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 09:35 AM

If this is true...

You can better believe Bush knew those stations would be tore down when he left.

He is the PR prez.

He knows how to hand out things by just stopping when someone is talking to him and making sure that the camera catches that he has a relief package in his hand-oh yes he knew.

He has his own press corp.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#10 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:55 AM

German speakers should confirm that this is a legitimate translation:

German news report on Presidential "staging" in Biloxi

#11 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:09 PM

I don't recall this being reported elsewhere on EI so, even though it's kind of old news...

Three tons of food ready for delivery by air to refugees in St. Bernard Parish and on Algiers Point sat on the Crescent City Connection bridge Friday afternoon as air traffic was halted because of President Bush’s visit to New Orleans, officials said.

[Warning: I can't find a link to this article that doesn't automatically try to use your printer to print it out; if someone can rustle up a better link, I'd be grateful.]

#12 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 01:09 PM

More confirmation on the staging of the aid center.  Copious links to videos of the original source (ZDF) available for German speakers.

The title of this thread was a mistake, incidentally.  I meant to say that Bush staged an aid center, not a levee repair, which is even worse to me.  Both stories were floating around last night; while he might have done the latter too it's too hard to tell (there's reason to believe that.  Unfortunately, in my anger I wrote the wrong the damn thing.  Mods, if you're around, would you mind changing the title of the thread accordingly?

#13 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:18 PM

German speakers should confirm that this is a legitimate translation:

It is.
Posted Image

#14 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:23 PM

Anarch, on Sep 4 2005, 05:09 PM, said:

I don't recall this being reported elsewhere on EI so, even though it's kind of old news...

Three tons of food ready for delivery by air to refugees in St. Bernard Parish and on Algiers Point sat on the Crescent City Connection bridge Friday afternoon as air traffic was halted because of President Bush’s visit to New Orleans, officials said.

[Warning: I can't find a link to this article that doesn't automatically try to use your printer to print it out; if someone can rustle up a better link, I'd be grateful.]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah and the security need for the preisdent has always taken front seat to needs of others.

Clinton as an example was in LA and while getting a haircut aircraft was deverted while he was preparing to leave.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#15 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:32 PM

Just out of curiosity--is it possible for the folks defending Bush to do it on some other basis than "It's all Clinton's fault!" or "Clinton did it, too?"  How does that affect what Bush does/did?  

And you know, the circumstances were slightly different.  Folks weren't dying for lack of food, water and medical care while Big Dawg got his haircut.  The aircraft that got held up weren't carrying aid to a devastated city.  Now, I'll admit Clinton's causing such a delay was rude; but it wasn't deadly.
Posted Image

#16 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:34 PM

G1223, on Sep 4 2005, 12:23 PM, said:

Clinton as an example was in LA and while getting a haircut aircraft was deverted while he was preparing to leave.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What has Clinton to do with this?  Was it Clinton's responsibility to see to the safely and recuse of those citizens?  No, it was not.  

It didn't take you long to interject the "Clinton was worse" now did it.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#17 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:35 PM

G1223, on Sep 4 2005, 07:23 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Except that a) it's not in the slightest comparable and b) it probably isn't true.

#18 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:45 PM

waterpanther, on Sep 4 2005, 07:32 PM, said:

Just out of curiosity--is it possible for the folks defending Bush to do it on some other basis than "It's all Clinton's fault!" or "Clinton did it, too?"  How does that affect what Bush does/did? 

And you know, the circumstances were slightly different.  Folks weren't dying for lack of food, water and medical care while Big Dawg got his haircut.  The aircraft that got held up weren't carrying aid to a devastated city.  Now, I'll admit Clinton's causing such a delay was rude; but it wasn't deadly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK I will explain for you since you can not seem understand the words. AS AN EXAMPLE

I said DURING HIS ADMINISTRATION CLINTON'S SECURITY PEOPLE HAD AIRTRAFFIC REDIREDTED SO THAT HE COULD FLY OUT OF LAX.

EVERY PRESIDENT HAS HAD THIS DONE IT IS SO THAT ONLY THE PRESIDENT AND HIS SECURITY PEOPLE ARE MOVING IN THE AREA THAT WAY AN ATTACK AGAINST THE PRESIDENT HAS A LESSER CHANCE OF WORKING.

DO you think you might possibly understand the words used here
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#19 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:50 PM

In reality, The Clinton Administration FIXED FEMA....

The Very Organization the Bush has been ripping apart!
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that don’t even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#20 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 02:51 PM

No, that's not what you said, G.  You said that he was responsible for getting aircraft diverted while he was on the tarmac.  That is, as I noted, false.  It wasn't comparable anyway by virtue of analogizing of commercial air traffic with critical rescue operations, but it's even less comparable by virtue of being fictitious.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hurricane Katrina, Top News, 2005, Levee Repair, Bush Photo-op

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users