• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:33 AM

Here's the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9189916/

Didn't take them 4 days to start trying to cover their own a$$es, now did it?

I do agree, somewhat, that local and state officials are also to blame...but to try and put the blame squarely on them is absurd.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#2 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:44 AM

Bush is the guy, remember, who, when asked to name his greatest mistake, couldn't think of anything he'd done wrong.  He's almost sixty years old, and he has never in his life held himself accountable for the harm he's done. That's not likely to change at this late date.
Posted Image

#3 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 09:29 AM

Hey LoTS, here's the Companion piece:

WP: Storm Exposed Disarray At The Top

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9166337/

Well Geez, everyone is quick to blame the Mayor, The FEMA disaster plan WAS to use the Superdome... So in essence he was doing what was considered the "appropriate" measures by our government standards.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#4 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 11:00 AM

Interestingly the Washington Post agreed, if only for a few minutes.

#5 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 11:30 AM

and while it may be nice to dump the blame all on a president you don't like what I quote below is true....

one reason federal assets were not used more quickly was 'because our constitutional system really places the primary authority in each state with the governor.

it may have been said by an incompetent, but it is true.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#6 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 11:34 AM

Shalamar, on Sep 4 2005, 04:30 PM, said:

and while it may be nice to dump the blame all on a president you don't like what I quote below is true....

one reason federal assets were not used more quickly was 'because our constitutional system really places the primary authority in each state with the governor.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The White House people are simply lying about not being asked for help.  Blanco sent a formal request for help the Thursday before the hurricane, and the Department of Homeland Security's own website says that the federal agency has primary responsibility in the event of a natural disaster.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#7 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 11:46 AM

MuseZack, on Sep 4 2005, 11:34 AM, said:

Shalamar, on Sep 4 2005, 04:30 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The White House people are simply lying about not being asked for help.  Blanco sent a formal request for help the Thursday before the hurricane, and the Department of Homeland Security's own website says that the federal agency has primary responsibility in the event of a natural disaster.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know this is really going to get nasty.

I remember hearing that about Blanco asking for the help.  It has carefully been buried under all the ruble.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#8 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:15 PM

You know with all the links I have followed I can't remember how I stumbled upon the actual Disaster Plan for Louisiana.  So, I'm sorry I can't link it, but the first few paragraphs lays out the chain of command.  Anyway I read a good part of it, because I wanted to know who was supposed to do what in a situation like this.

The plan called for the Director to execute the plan.  The Director being the Louisiana Homeland Security guy.  The Governor was supposed to ask for help and coordinate with Homeland Security, but according to the plan put in place, it acknowledged that resources and local and state governments might not be able to operate.  Homeland Security was ultimately in charge.

But even if this wasn't the case, Homeland Security was created to facilitate the Fed's coming into a disaster.  Whatever constitutional issues existed previously as far as State's Rights, have been modified with the created of Homeland Security.  This administration doesn't get to have it both ways.  He created the department.  They certainly should have known their responsibility and the scope of their authority.

Now all of that is the cold hard facts, but let me just express some emotional gut reactions... Any politician that uses as an excuse, "I didn't know", or "It's not my job" and stood by while people died, deserves to be fired, recalled or impeached.  It goes against the oath of every "PUBLIC SERVANT"

There are very few jobs that the government actually has a duty to perform, one of them is to "protect" it's citizens.  There is blame to go all around on this one, and politicians that try to point the finger to one ultimate 'cause' don't deserve the public trust.

I'm sick and tired of politicians who scramble for position and posture themselves to be 'blameless'.  People either did their jobs, or they didn't.  Everyone had a duty here, the locals, the State and the Feds.  It was all part of their disaster plan.  I won'd tolerate any one of them pointing a finger to somewhere else to deflect their own responsibility and I hope none of you allow it either.

Our trust was broken.  We pay taxes and count on each branch of government to do their job in a scenario like this.  We count on it.  If wee can't count on it, then we pay our taxes for nothing.  Why have a government if they can't or won't do their job?

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#9 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:27 PM

MuseZack, on Sep 4 2005, 04:34 PM, said:

The White House people are simply lying about not being asked for help.  Blanco sent a formal request for help the Thursday before the hurricane, and the Department of Homeland Security's own website says that the federal agency has primary responsibility in the event of a natural disaster.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't Bush declare a Federal state of emergency on Friday for Louisiana?  I remember reading the announcement on the White House website.

#10 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:35 PM

Well-said, Cait.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#11 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:36 PM

A state of Emergency was declared on the 27th.

For Immediate Release

August 27.

Statement on Federal Emergency Assistance for Louisiana
Office of the Press Secretary
August 27, 2005

The President today declared an emergency exists in the State of Louisiana and ordered Federal aid to supplement state and local response efforts in the parishes located in the path of Hurricane Katrina beginning on August 26, 2005, and continuing.

The President's action authorizes the Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), to coordinate all disaster relief efforts which have the purpose of alleviating the hardship and suffering caused by the emergency on the local population, and to provide appropriate assistance for required emergency measures, authorized under Title V of the Stafford Act, to save lives, protect property and public health and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a catastrophe in the parishes of Allen, Avoyelles, Beauregard, Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, Caldwell, Claiborne, Catahoula, Concordia, De Soto, East Baton Rouge, East Carroll, East Feliciana, Evangeline, Franklin, Grant, Jackson, LaSalle, Lincoln, Livingston, Madison, Morehouse, Natchitoches, Pointe Coupee, Ouachita, Rapides, Red River, Richland, Sabine, St. Helena, St. Landry, Tensas, Union, Vernon, Webster, West Carroll, West Feliciana, and Winn.

Specifically, FEMA is authorized to identify, mobilize, and provide at its discretion, equipment and resources necessary to alleviate the impacts of the emergency. Debris removal and emergency protective measures, including direct Federal assistance, will be provided at 75 percent Federal funding.

Representing FEMA, Michael D. Brown, Under Secretary for Emergency Preparedness and Response, Department of Homeland Security, named William Lokey as the Federal Coordinating Officer for Federal recovery operations in the affected area.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: FEMA (202) 646-4600.

Source:

#12 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:49 PM

Link to the White House's press release here.  Note that although this was released on the 27th, the order took effect on the 26th.

For those of you keeping track at home, that was Friday.

Last Friday.

#13 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:55 PM

And so the answer to the question "Who was in charge?" is answered.  The Fed's were in charge, specifically FEMA.

Source:

#14 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 01:17 PM

Lots of nice linkies confirming that Blanco asked for Federal aid on the 27th.  My apologies, incidentally: it appears as if the Federal state of emergency was retroactive to the 26th, not that it had been declared on the 26th and only announced on the 27th.  So, s/Fri/Satur/g above.

#15 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 03:03 PM

A TPM Cafe thread on White House buck-passing.  I'm not generally a fan of the comments on TPMC but this looks pretty solid at first glance.

#16 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 03:07 PM

Cait, on Sep 4 2005, 12:55 PM, said:

And so the answer to the question "Who was in charge?" is answered.  The Fed's were in charge, specifically FEMA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And see this is why I couldn't understand why they weren't there at least by 6pm Monday the 29th.

Un f***ing believable.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#17 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 03:22 PM

sheesh there are so many threads on this stuff it's hard to know where to put something ;) , but I think this goes here: (Wash Post on Exposing Disarray at the Top)

The roots of last week's failures will be examined for weeks and months to come, but early assessments point to a troubled Department of Homeland Security that is still in the midst of a bureaucratic transition, a "work in progress," as Mencer put it. Some current and former officials argued that as it worked to focus on counterterrorism, the department has diminished the government's ability to respond in a nuts-and-bolts way to disasters in general, and failed to focus enough on threats posed by hurricanes and other natural disasters in particular. From an independent Cabinet-level agency, FEMA has become an underfunded, isolated piece of the vast DHS, yet it is still charged with leading the government's response to disaster.
"It's such an irony I hate to say it, but we have less capability today than we did on September 11," said a veteran FEMA official involved in the hurricane response. "We are so much less than what we were in 2000," added another senior FEMA official. "We've lost a lot of what we were able to do then."

Exposing disarray at the Top
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#18 Cait

Cait

• 10,810 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 03:27 PM

"It's such an irony I hate to say it, but we have less capability today than we did on September 11," said a veteran FEMA official involved in the hurricane response. "We are so much less than what we were in 2000," added another senior FEMA official. "We've lost a lot of what we were able to do then."

Oh good lord...what lunacy.  The truth of this is becoming obvious to us all, but something in me just doesn't want to accept that we were better off then than now.  It's just too frightening to accept.

Source:

#19 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 03:28 PM

Cait, on Sep 4 2005, 10:15 AM, said:

Now all of that is the cold hard facts, but let me just express some emotional gut reactions... Any politician that uses as an excuse, "I didn't know", or "It's not my job" and stood by while people died, deserves to be fired, recalled or impeached.  It goes against the oath of every "PUBLIC SERVANT"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could not agree more.  Only I might add that if I were in a position to do so I might also look into charges of criminal neglect.

Lil
Posted Image

#20 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 04:19 PM

About Mississippi:

http://hosted.ap.org...-09-04-06-27-01

Relief has been slow arriving there, too. There are still people in the coastal towns who have not been rescued. A few were found today that were alive, but they didn't know if they'd survive. Many people are mighty angry.

As for what's gone right...in terms of official relief, the Coast Guard and the Wildlife and Fisheries Police were johnnies-on-the-spot...And that's about it.

***Oops! Wrong thread.  :blush:  Still, it's an important link so I hope folks read it.

Edited by Spectacles, 04 September 2005 - 04:22 PM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, Top News 2005, Who is to blame

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users