Katrina Top News 2005 Who is to blame

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 03:14 PM

OK, *this* goes here--a WaPo retraction of its erroneous assertion that Blanco had not declared a state of emergency:

A Sept. 4 article on the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina incorrectly said that Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco (D) had not declared a state of emergency. She declared an emergency on Aug. 26.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#22 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 03:18 PM

Specs, do you have a link for that?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#23 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 03:25 PM

Godeskian, on Sep 5 2005, 03:18 PM, said:

Specs, do you have a link for that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oops. Here:

http://www.pensitore...-disinformation

:blush:
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#24 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 03:31 PM

Interesting. Just stumbled across this from TPM (links to sources provided on webpage):

http://www.talkingpo...9_04.php#006412

As noted, the Washington Post got burned today by a "senior Bush official" who told them that Gov. Blanco of Louisiana had never declared a state of emergency in the site -- a claim the Post printed as fact. Yet the claim was demonstrably false and by late afternoon the Post had been compelled to print a correction.

This week's Newsweek contains the same false claim -- and though their recital of the anecdote is unsourced, common sense suggests that someone or some operation fed them both the same line, which neither organization checked out before running.

Monday's Times, not surprisingly, confirms that the White House damage control operation is being run by Karl Rove and Dan Bartlett.

Add it up.

#25 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 03:31 PM

Note, however, the WaPo (and now Newsweek) have not in either case acknowledged the simple truth:

Someone in the administration lied to their faces.

And they let them get away with it.

#26 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 07:49 AM

"No one in government takes responsibility for anything anymore.
We foster, we obfuscate, we rationalize. "Everybody does it." That's what we say. So we come to occupy a moral safe house where everyone's to blame so no one's guilty. I'm to blame. I was wrong."

-President Josiah Bartlet, "H. Con. 172"
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#27 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:22 AM

These local officials who are serving as handy scapegoats did submit budgets to the federal government and let them know of their needs.  Their needs were not met.  In the case of Louisiana's levees, the federal government supplied less than 20% of what they were told was needed to shore them up.

So, while mayors and governors are handy targets, and could have done more, the fact is that they're only able to do so much when they're not given revenue.  I do not like our governor, Haley Barbour.  I consider him an embarrassing characature and a bad manager of what funds he does have.  But, I understand that much of the fouling-up he's had - in our education system as well as disaster preparedness - is beyond his control.  This current federal administration is keeping the states weak while beefing up the federal branch... so to see them now trying to put the finger on governors and mayors that they made powerless is pretty revolting.

Just another link in a long chain of shameless opportunistic mismanagement that seems to have no end.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#28 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:34 AM

Yeah  handy targets. They are the people who are up close to this who could have legal means to by force evacuated the city but it's easier for folks to blame Bush for this whole mess.

BTW a new poll out shows Bush is blamed by 13% of the people and nearly 25% blame the local officals.

Guess that silly idea of blamming the guy who is actually there and actually has the lawful authority but stood on their hands before the storm hit is comming to be.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#29 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:46 AM

G-man...

Explain this?

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_3004197

Explain why FEMA took 5 hours on 8/29 to even ask for volunteer even though they had been mobilize 2 days prior by Bush?

Explain all the abuses we are seeing...

Bush appointed Brown to this organization. He should be held accountable as these abuses continue.

Those lost lives are on the head of Brown and Bush now.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#30 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:50 AM

Yeah handy targets. They are the people who are up close to this who could have legal means to by force evacuated the city but it's easier for folks to blame Bush for this whole mess.

***** Not only easier, but also far more correct.  

BTW a new poll out shows Bush is blamed by 13% of the people and nearly 25% blame the local officals.

****** And who are the remaining 62% blaming?  Bad fairies?  An interventionist God?  Potato people from the planet Xorak?  Don't happen to have a link to this poll, do ya?  

Guess that silly idea of blamming the guy who is actually there and actually has the lawful authority but stood on their hands before the storm hit is comming to be.

****** I'll get back to you after I run that sentence through Babblefish.

Zwolf

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."

#31 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:50 AM

Working through a logisitic train might very well mean taking time before asking for help when you might not be sure where you need the helpers.  Would you be complaining if they had asked for help and then had the help standing around doing nothing?
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#32 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:57 AM

In essence that is what is happening, G-man

They are sitting around in an Atlanta Sheration doing NOTHING.

They are being trained to hand out fliers and tell people who to contact for money assistance. Meanwhile, they are highly trained in SAR, Haz-Mat etc...

You tell me.

In 9/11 we never saw this. And these are the very people that donated more equipment (Fire engines) to help out NYC...

Incrediable.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#33 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:57 AM

Would you be complaining if they had asked for help and then had the help standing around doing nothing?

****** You're damn skippy I would.  Not only that, I'll complain when they have  willing and eager and highly-trained help and completely misuse it for a P.R. circle-jerk.  Such as turning trained firefighters into photo-ops while people are still in need of help.  I repeat.

As New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin pleaded on national television for firefighters - his own are exhausted after working around the clock for a week - a battalion of highly trained men and women sat idle Sunday in a muggy Sheraton Hotel conference room in Atlanta.
    Many of the firefighters, assembled from Utah and throughout the United States by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, thought they were going to be deployed as emergency workers.
    Instead, they have learned they are going to be community-relations officers for FEMA, shuffled throughout the Gulf Coast region to disseminate fliers and a phone number: 1-800-621-FEMA.
    On Monday, some firefighters stuck in the staging area at the Sheraton peeled off their FEMA-issued shirts and stuffed them in backpacks, saying they refuse to represent the federal agency.

"They've got people here who are search-and-rescue certified, paramedics, haz-mat certified," said a Texas firefighter. "We're sitting in here having a sexual-harassment class while there are still [victims] in Louisiana who haven't been contacted yet."
    The firefighter, who has encouraged his superiors back home not to send any more volunteers for now, declined to give his name because FEMA has warned them not to talk to reporters.

While FEMA's community-relations job may be an important one - displaced hurricane victims need basic services and a variety of resources - it may be a job best suited for someone else, say firefighters assembled at the Sheraton.
    "It's a misallocation of resources. Completely," said the Texas firefighter.
    "It's just an under-utilization of very talented people," said South Salt Lake Fire Chief Steve Foote, who sent a team of firefighters to Atlanta. "I was hoping once they saw the level of people . . . they would shift gears a little bit."
    Foote said his crews would be better used doing the jobs they are trained to do.

Also of concern to some of the firefighters is the cost borne by their municipalities in the wake of their absence. Cities are picking up the tab to fill the firefighters' vacancies while they work 30 days for the federal government.
    "There are all of these guys with all of this training and we're sending them out to hand out a phone number," an Oregon firefighter said. "They [the hurricane victims] are screaming for help and this day [of FEMA training] was a waste."
    Firefighters say they want to brave the heat, the debris-littered roads, the poisonous cottonmouth snakes and fire ants and travel into pockets of Louisiana where many people have yet to receive emergency aid.
    But as specific orders began arriving to the firefighters in Atlanta, a team of 50 Monday morning quickly was ushered onto a flight headed for Louisiana. The crew's first assignment: to stand beside President Bush as he tours devastated areas.

Cheers,

Zwolf

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."

#34 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:02 AM

Since G didn't bother to actually cite the poll he selectively pulled numbers from, here's the whole thing.  Unsurprisingly, it's being headlined on Drudge's front page.

http://www.gallup.co...ntent/?ci=18412

And here's a completely contrasting poll at

http://www.surveyusa...95-1718b1018a4a

In it, the respondents were asked to rate the different leadership figures vis a vis the hurricane response from one to ten.  The results:

U.S. Army General Russell Honore                           6.8
Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour                         6.4
New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin                                5.7
Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco                         5.2
President of the United States George W. Bush              4.7
Director of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff             4.4
Director of FEMA Michael Brown                             4.3

Also, "53% of Americans say Michael Brown should be replaced as the Director of FEMA. 40% say Brown should not be replaced. 48% of Americans say Michael Chertoff should be replaced as the Director of Homeland Security. 42% say he should not be."

Edited by MuseZack, 07 September 2005 - 10:30 AM.

"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#35 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:07 AM

Natolii, on Sep 7 2005, 10:46 AM, said:

Um... sorry to interrupt, but there is actually a poster that goes by the name G-man and he is not the same person as G1223.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, Top News 2005, Who is to blame

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users