9 replies to this topic

#1 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:23 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...ina_fats_domino

Fats Domino was missing Thursday, days after Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans, said his longtime agent, Al Embry. Embry told The Associated Press that he hadn't been able to contact Domino since talking to him Sunday evening by phone.

The 77-year-old R&B legend, whose real name is Antoine Domino, told Embry that he planned to stay at his New Orleans house with his wife, Rosemary, and their daughter.

"I hope somebody turns him up, but as of right now, we haven't got anybody that knows where he's at," said Embry, who has worked with Domino for 28 years. "I would think he might be safe because somebody said he was on top of the balcony."

Checquoline Davis, Domino's niece, posted a message on Craigslist.com Thursday pleading for information. Davis wrote that Domino, his wife, their children and grandchildren "didn't get out" of the second floor.

Domino, who has rarely appeared in public in recent years, has a home in the 9th ward, a low-lying area of the flooded city.

Getting information on possible missing persons has been nearly impossible as phone lines for hospitals and police haven't been working.

Domino has sold more than 110 million records in his long career, including the legendary singles "Blueberry Hill" and "Ain't That a Shame."

His 1950 recording of "The Fat Man" is sometimes called the first real rock 'n' roll record. He was among the first honorees to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

It doesn't sound good though.  :o
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#2 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:25 PM

No, he's been rescued for a couple of days now.
The Future...Unless Things Change.

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made? A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

#3 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 12:33 PM

His situation was mentioned in another OT thread; I don't recall which one, but a search should figure that out. Anyway, he was found and rescued, but I still don't know about the rest of his family.
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#4 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 05:09 PM

Sorry about that, I guess haven't been able to read though every thread.  :blush:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#5 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 05:10 PM

Boards been kinda rough ya know lately.

I was very worried about him.

I love Fats.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#6 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 06:16 PM

DWF said:

Sorry about that, I guess haven't been able to read though every thread.  :blush:

There are so many hurricane threads, that's kind of hard to do anyway. ;) Don't worry about it.

I hope his family is okay.
Per aspera ad astra

#7 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 07:52 PM

Allan Toussaint is also safe.  He's talking to NPR as I write.  :)

For previous Fats Domino discussion, check Hurricane Katrina thread, page 6.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#8 Jazzer

Jazzer

Here I am

• Islander
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 07:57 PM

Fats Domino Found:  
http://www.undercove...fatsdomino.html  

4 September 2005

Music legend Fats Domino is alive and well after being reported as missing earlier in New Orleans following the hurricane devastation.

Fears were held for the safety of the 77 year old rock and roll pioneer after his daughter Karen Domino White failed to find him.

Yesterday, Ms White saw a photo of her father in a New Orleans newspaper and reported that he was okay.

Antoine 'Fats' Domino had earlier spoken with his manager and told him he was going to "ride out the storm".

The rock legend is best know for the 50s classics 'Blueberry Hill' and 'Ain't That A Shame'.

Fats Domino: 'I've Lost Everything':  
http://www.fox23news...E8-315B12039231  

Blues legend Fats Domino is devastated by the loss of his luxurious New Orleans home to the flooding caused by Hurricane Katrina - but he is glad to be alive and is hoping to return to the city as soon as possible.

Aerial images showing Domino's Louisiana family home completely submerged by water lead family and fans to fear the worst after he insisted on "sitting out" the hurricane.

But Domino's daughter Karen spotted him being rescued in a newspaper photo and the singer has since been reunited with his family and friends in state capital Baton Rouge.

He says, "We've lost everything. I'm worried about all the people of New Orleans. Tell them I love them, and I wish I was home with them. I hope we'll see them soon."

Unanswered questions aren't nearly as dangerous as unquestioned answers.

#9 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:06 PM

Also at Fox 23 News:

Fats Domino Safe, Staying with LSU QB

LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell has opened his apartment to New Orleans music legend Fats Domino. The 77-year-old musician was rescued from his home in the Crescent City after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina this week. He was taken to the triage unit at the Maravich Assembly Center on the LSU campus in Baton Rouge, and then was reunited with family members and taken to Russell's apartment close to the LSU campus.

Tell the people of New Orleans that I'm safe, Domino said. I wish I was able to still be there with them, but I hope to see them soon. I want to express my sincere gratitude and appreciation to JaMarcus for opening up and sharing his home with us.

A news release issued by LSU said Russell has had close to 20 people in his apartment for the past couple of days. He's also been to the grocery store and pharmacy to get medicine for Domino.

The New Orleans-born singer of Ain't That a Shame, Blueberry Hill and Walking to New Orleans was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986 and received a Recording Academy Lifetime Achievement Award in 1987 -- the same year Blueberry Hill was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.
What a nice young man, this qb!

Edited by Nonny, 04 September 2005 - 08:07 PM.

Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#10 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:17 PM

Allan Toussaint on NPR just now.  

NPR this morning, Fats Domino singing "Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans?"
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Hurricane Katrina, Top News, 2005, Fats Domino Missing

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users