Hurricane Katrina Top News 2005 New Orleans Government failure

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 06:02 PM

There is a parallel between the FEMA response and the Watergate cover up.

You’ll excuse the analogy, but CNN and FOX are smelling, blood on the water.

The media have what they have been begging for a along time now, their generations massive Governmental Screw up, and cover up…

To put it into the carnival vernacular, “you an’t seen nothing yet…” This is well on its way to be a twenty ring circuses.

The parallel is the way the White House handling this, which for all their aplomb will only serve to suck in the news media.

Edited by emsparks, 04 September 2005 - 06:03 PM.

Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#2 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 06:19 PM

Let's not forget the Plame case.

That really ain't over yet.

And...

it may even get more coverage.

There's been reports that leak out about how the whole operation in Iraq is a huge mess...this could be an underlining to that.

So-yep as Samuel L. Jackson said in Juraissic Park hold on to your butt
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#3 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 06:20 PM

I wasn't going to post this, but what the heck:

Criminal  Negligence and Katrina?

#4 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 06:55 PM

Then I remembered that FEMA announced today that the fatalities would be in the thousands. Regretfully I worry that the count will be  in the tens of thousands.

Edited by emsparks, 04 September 2005 - 06:57 PM.

Think!

#5 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 07:04 PM

I had breakfast this morning with a bunch of fellow enviro-wonks, including an ACE Major we've worked with on some local projects.  His best guess is 25,000-50,000 dead for the whole storm area.  Worse than the WTC by an order of magnitude.
Posted Image

#6 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 07:11 PM

Any word on how they're planning to estimate casualties?  This seems like a more difficult task than usual...

#7 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 07:12 PM

I honestly (and this maybe a little on the grim side) would love to see the numbers by the date.

In other words did they die during the storm or in this bungled mess.

I hate that-I absolutely hate that this has happened in our country, the mess did not have to happen.

Really, no excuse.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#8 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 07:20 PM

They are going to do autopsies.

Edited by emsparks, 04 September 2005 - 07:27 PM.

Think!

#9 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:19 PM

University Simulations are saying over 10,000 dead (estimate)

This is going to be a case of where they are not going to be able to ID all the bodies.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that don’t even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#10 Eskaminzim

Eskaminzim

Head eggs and butt toast

• Islander
  • 559 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:25 PM

Maybe a couple of totally naive questions here, but I heard that they're starting to punch holes in the levees to drain the water back into the lake.  If they're doing this before doing corpse recoveries, isn't it entirely possible that potentially hundreds of corpses will wash into the lake with the water?

Additionally, was the lake a "pristine" or fishing lake (again, I'm naive here).  If so, what's going to happen to it when all the oil, gas, corpse, disease, and waste-laden water rushes back into it?  Is it going to pollute the entire thing, killing whatever fishing, etc. they had previously been able to do (assuming they were, in fact, able to do that there?)

#11 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 09:11 PM

^^^
The storm surge pushed a lot of water into the lake. So the level of the lake is artificially higher then it should be. Now it takes some time for the level of the lake to reestablish its banks. However such is not the case with the levee break. The amount of water needed to fill in the New Orleans punch bowl is quite considerably smaller then the lake. So the punch bowl filled up to the level of the lake. A level like I said that is at this time higher then the lake’s normal level. It then follows when the storm surge goes back out to sea, it will lower the level in the lake and in the city, a lot faster then the city pumps can.

Edited by emsparks, 04 September 2005 - 09:13 PM.

Think!

#12 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 09:38 PM

Eskaminzim, on Sep 4 2005, 09:25 PM, said:

Additionally, was the lake a "pristine" or fishing lake (again, I'm naive here).  If so, what's going to happen to it when all the oil, gas, corpse, disease, and waste-laden water rushes back into it?  Is it going to pollute the entire thing, killing whatever fishing, etc. they had previously been able to do (assuming they were, in fact, able to do that there?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As to the pollution in the floodwaters, that is a real toxic soup. However the organic waste including the dead bodies are the most dangerous, because as it decays it’s the home to some very virulent diseases. The good news, is that eventually nature will consume the organic waste. The bad news is the heavy metals and the petroleum products from the streets of New Orleans. There is some bacteria that feeds on petroleum products, but it is man made, and in limited supply.

Think!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hurricane Katrina, Top News, 2005, New Orleans, Government failure

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users