12 replies to this topic

#1 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 01:23 AM

NY Times article on FEMA

Also.

This year it was announced that FEMA is to "officially" lose the disaster preparedness function that it has had since its creation. The move is a death blow to an agency that was already on life support. In fact, FEMA employees have been directed not to become involved in disaster preparedness functions, since a new directorate (yet to be established) will have that mission.
FEMA will be survived by state and local emergency management offices, which are confused about how they fit into the national picture. That's because the focus of the national effort remains terrorism, even if the Department of Homeland Security still talks about "all-hazards preparedness." Those of us in the business of dealing with emergencies find ourselves with no national leadership and no mentors. We are being forced to fend for ourselves, making do with the "homeland security" mission. Our "all-hazards" approaches have been decimated by the administration's preoccupation with terrorism

For a while, a bipartisan effort was able to keep FEMA and the Coast Guard from being absorbed into Homeland Security, but DHS finally got their way.

#2 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 01:58 AM

So the responses to disasters after Katrina will be even less coordinated? that doesn't bode well.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#3 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:20 AM

I think Secretary Chertoff was saying today that FEMA is meant to plug into state and local efforts rather than replacing/overseeing them, and that's what part of the... whatever's been going on is coming from.

West Coast?  Start lobbying now.  All of you.  :crazy:
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#4 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:30 AM

On the lighter side of tragedy, consider this.  No, really: consider it!  Because, well, words fail me.

#5 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 07:19 AM

Anarch, on Sep 4 2005, 11:30 PM, said:

On the lighter side of tragedy, consider this.  No, really: consider it!  Because, well, words fail me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was she wearing those Ferragamos when she babbled those astonishing words?  I am so freaked out disgusted right now.  What a mealy-mouthed gotta stop now the words aren't netnannyizable anymore.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#6 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:00 AM

Nonny, on Sep 5 2005, 12:19 PM, said:

Anarch, on Sep 4 2005, 11:30 PM, said:

On the lighter side of tragedy, consider this.  No, really: consider it!  Because, well, words fail me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was she wearing those Ferragamos when she babbled those astonishing words?  I am so freaked out disgusted right now.  What a mealy-mouthed gotta stop now the words aren't netnannyizable anymore.  

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This whole administration has a Marie Antoinette mentality when it comes to anyone who doesn't earn a six-figure salary.
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#7 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:07 AM

Don't get me started on the church/state issues involved when a cabinet member shifts off her responsibilities to her deity and expects those suffering to do the same.  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#8 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:21 AM

The thing that kills me about FEMA and DHS's collapse is that 80 percent of what you're going to do after a terrorist attack is exactly the same as what you do after a natural disaster.  Evacuation and care of large numbers of people?  Check.  Decontamination?  New Orleans is a toxic soup right now.  Disease prevention?  Check.   Treatment of mass casualties?  Check.  Based on the performance here, I shudder to think of DHS and FEMA's response after, say, a dirty bomb goes off in Chicago.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#9 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:53 AM

Zack: Based on the performance here, I shudder to think of DHS and FEMA's response after, say, a dirty bomb goes off in Chicago.

Yep.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#10 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 03:33 PM

Oh.  Holy.  Crap.

The real story on Michael Brown.

It's one thing to appoint a crony.  This... this is so far beyond the pale as to stagger the imagination.

#11 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 03:51 PM

A friend of my mom works for FEMA, so I hope she doesn't lose her job.  She's not one of the higher-ups, so she's not accountable for this mess.   Nor is she one of the criminals they apparently hired.   Yikes.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#12 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 04:06 PM

Oi... ran into this.  Now that's a blog, and it's definitely partisan, so I wouldn't take anything for granted, but as a basis for further investigation, it seems pretty freaky.  FEMA is apparently protecting everything except the damaged areas...  What's happening with those people?  They block aid from getting in, then this... it's like they're trying to screw up or something.  I don't think they've even shown up in Mississippi yet.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#13 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 05:02 PM

Zwolf666, on Sep 8 2005, 01:51 PM, said:

A friend of my mom works for FEMA, so I hope she doesn't lose her job.  She's not one of the higher-ups, so she's not accountable for this mess.   Nor is she one of the criminals they apparently hired.   Yikes.

Cheers,

Zwolf

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know the more I read about the contracts FEMA gave to independents, the more I fear a major scandal for the HLS and FEMA.  I can't help but wonder just how deep this kind of stuff goes.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, FEMA

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users