• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 liath

liath

Mmmm prettyful

• Islander
  • 649 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:18 PM

We dont have any plans for naural disasters except the complete basics like a torch, blankets, and tinned food lying around the house. I live in inland(ish) britain away from rivers so there aren't really many disasters to prepare for.
Come to the dark side, we have chocolate!

Formerly reul-bhuidhinn

Offer me solutions, offer me alternatives
And I decline - REM

#22 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:37 PM

I'd like to amend my answer:

Panic.

Then die.

#23 darthsikle

darthsikle
  • Dead account
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:51 PM

I think I would refuse to leave my house, stand my ground and complain loudly about all the respoonse efforts were insufficient and cry "Racism" at the top of my lungs.
Goodbye.

#24 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:09 PM

You know with a Hurricane-yes there's warning, but...

Earthquakes there's really no warning.

And with Tornado's which is what my emergency would be, the tops on warning is 15 minutes.

Now once we get that wormhole technology worked out-I'll be okay. :alien:

Edited by Hibblette, 06 September 2005 - 07:11 PM.

"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#25 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:32 PM

Hibblette, on Sep 6 2005, 07:09 PM, said:

And with Tornado's which is what my emergency would be, the tops on warning is 15 minutes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You'd be surprised how fast, and far, my Trans-am will go in 15 minutes...lol.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#26 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:54 PM

Lin731, on Sep 6 2005, 04:55 PM, said:

We have a store of gas and 2 generators, Kerosene heaters, solar radio, shotguns, a boat, tools up the ying yang, a decent stock of canned goods, a boat if the need arose and a couple vehicles that will handle most terrain.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good ideas.  We've had serious storms the last few years that have left us without power for several days.  I'd like to get a generator or solar panels.  A few times I've wished I had sand bags for the back of the house.  I built some plumes back there that have helped but occasionally the back enclosed porch is about 6 inches under water and close to running up into the lowest room in the house.  I won't have a gun but flare guns might come in handy.  The neighbor has a big boat parked in one of my drives.  It is agreed that he can park his boat there and I know he'd look out for us in the event of an emergency.  He is, after all, the guy who pulled a tree off of me!

#27 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:56 AM

We have batteries, candles and 2 weather radios and a regular radio. 2 cell phones and a phone we can plug into the wall (the cordless phones don't work without power).

The only emergencies I have seen are severe thunderstorms, hailstorms, sleetstorms, ice storms and downdrafts. I've watched as tornadoes went around where I was.

So far we've just lost power. For less than 24 hours - we have underground utilities.

If any of the dams break - we're out of the way. We're not in any flood plains. Not near the ocean - not close enough to worry about anything but a Carla kinda hurricane anyway. No earthquakes, mudslides or volcanoes.   Not in the western part of the city that's in a wildfire risk zone and really, we're at the very southern tip of tornado alley. No nuclear plants nearby, altho I guess there's the drift factor.

I was a wee bit paranoid when we picked our neighborhood. Tried to avoid as many natural hazards as possible.

Any other hazards I can avoid?

Edited by Shoshana, 07 September 2005 - 02:57 AM.

#28 Manic

Manic

Mostly Harmless

• Islander
  • 276 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 03:10 AM

Shoshana, on Sep 7 2005, 12:56 AM, said:

Heat-stroke?

#29 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 05:28 AM

This Information reminded me that there is some Pet Precautions you can take, in case you have to evacuate without your pets for some bizaar reason.  
GET YOUR PETS MICROCHIPPED!  
If you must leave them, in an emergency, make sure they have a collar with identification information attached and a rabies tag.

***Is easily distracted***

#30 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:14 AM

Information on jump kits.

Real emergency preparedness.

Tips for an apocalypse.

All links via Making Light; most information via Jim Macdonald, who is a volunteer EMT coordinator (?) in his spare time.

#31 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:20 PM

Manic, on Sep 7 2005, 03:10 AM, said:

Shoshana, on Sep 7 2005, 12:56 AM, said:

Heat-stroke?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MMM. Yeah. It's something to be aware of. I've had heat exhaustion more times than I can count - it's really amazing how fast it can get you. It sneaks up cause one of the things that happens is that you get a little confused.  I've gotten alot better at recognizing it in early stages now tho.

RE pets: My friends have their dogs chipped and the chip has an address & phone, and a alternate one too (me actually). The dogs all have rabies tags, city reg tags and id tags. The id tags have the dog's name, address, phone #, my name & phone, and an email addy. Each dog has their own email addy.

Not only that, one of the dogs is smart enough to call a cab I think. ;)

Ohh I'm printing out the jump kit.

Only things I would add is sun protection. Sunscreen and or zinc oxide and a hat.

Thanks y'all.

#32 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:36 PM

Good ideas. We've had serious storms the last few years that have left us without power for several days. I'd like to get a generator or solar panels. A few times I've wished I had sand bags for the back of the house. I built some plumes back there that have helped but occasionally the back enclosed porch is about 6 inches under water and close to running up into the lowest room in the house. I won't have a gun but flare guns might come in handy. The neighbor has a big boat parked in one of my drives. It is agreed that he can park his boat there and I know he'd look out for us in the event of an emergency. He is, after all, the guy who pulled a tree off of me!

Something I'd highly recommend to you and anyone else in storm prone areas...solar/hand crank flashlights, radios. They are HUGELY helpful and you have no worry about batteries running out. Charge them by day in the sun and when the solar charge runs out, you hand crank them. Also keeping spare car/marine batteries (in the hands of someone who knows how to utilise them) can be a HUGE help. When my son was a baby, we lost electricity for a week and a half in the dead of winter and we used those car/marine batteries to power the radio. Also a neat trick for candles...place a mirror behind a multiple candleholder, it will project a tremendous amount of light throughout the room. Like you, (at least in the house up north) we have good neighbors that would also pool their collective resources...between us all we have boats, snowmobiles, plowing/towing equipment, generators, tools etc... We'd actually be more hosed down here at the main house because the big boat is stored up north but even down here we have a small duckboat if the need arose. I'm very fortunate to have a hubby that has a good deal of creative problem-solving/survival skills and good ole Yankee enginuity.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#33 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:37 PM

Not only that, one of the dogs is smart enough to call a cab I think.
And light a flare to hail a helicopter as well?  

Man, after all that, I feel like my puppy is very neglected.

***Is easily distracted***

#34 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:48 PM

^ giggle. Dunno ... we don't let her play with matches. She might eat them. She is a dog - they'll eat just about anything.

#35 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 08:16 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Sep 6 2005, 11:32 PM, said:

Hibblette, on Sep 6 2005, 07:09 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You'd be surprised how fast, and far, my Trans-am will go in 15 minutes...lol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:hehe:

and my sons 1989 camaro
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#36 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:36 PM

We've got pet taxis for all of the cats.  The biggest dog is 180 pounds and I couldn't carry the crate even if he would get in it.  While all my babies are all included in any emergency plan, we could get separated.

Can you track an animal with those chips?  Are they GPS equipped?  Or, do I need to strap a cell phone to each of them?

#37 Jid

Jid

Mad Prophet of Funk

• Islander
  • 12,554 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:46 PM

^Typically, you track them by them getting their chip scanned at a pet shelter, and being entered into the system, which in turn ought to get them trying to contact you.

But I don't think they give off any appreciable signal that could be picked up over long distances.
cervisiam tene rem specta

#38 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:09 PM

^From personal experience - I found a dog without a tag ... actually, he bounced into our front door and then proceeded to howl. I opened the door and he strolled in. Clean, well fed. Very well fed - a 65 lb beagle... we had to weigh him cause we were in awe!

Attached File  dallas.JPG   40.24K   19 downloads

He didn't live on our cul de sac, I've seen the dogs on our street.

I took him to a friend's house and the two of us took him to Petsmart to see if he'd been chipped. They said they could check for 2 different chips but that there are three chip companies! Petsmart said either he wasn't chipped or it was the 3rd chip company. We found a vet who was able to retrieve the chip info and called the 800 number. The owners weren't home, but the alternates were. We took the dog, who I was calling Moose (after the Dallas Cowboy football player) to the alternates and found out the dog's real name - Dallas.

Upshot is - there are 3 chip companies and one reader won't read them all. And no, they don't give off a signal.

#39 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:27 PM

eloisel, on Sep 7 2005, 10:36 PM, said:

Or, do I need to strap a cell phone to each of them?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Will they answer the phone?

I know there are gps locator chips but I don't know anyone that's actually stuck em on pets. Must research... hmm most use gsm ...

http://www.surveilla...om/pet.gps.html

http://gps.engadget....76263394094606/

http://www.environme...llar/dog-1.html

http://www.destronfearing.com/ - has gps implants

http://www.locatis.c...cef19b02e71b902

#40 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:37 PM

Hey, those are cool!

I don't know if they could answer the phone but I had a cat that called 911 once.  In my town, if you call 911 the police show up, period.  Was not nice getting up in the middle of the night and having the police search my house because they got a 911 call and no one spoke and the phone was busy when they called back.  I mean, it is nice that they showed up and it makes me feel safe, and all that... but, I swear, that cat was chuckling.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Disasters, Emergency Planning

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users