#41 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:42 PM

In event of civilization-shattering catastrophe, my plan is

1:  Grow a Mohawk.

2: Join a gang of post-apocalyptic outlaws, preferably led by a hockey-mask wearing dude named the Humongous, Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah.

3:  Pillage the countryside in search of "juice."

4: Watch out for that Max guy; he's dangerous.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#42 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 12:02 AM

MuseZack, on Sep 8 2005, 04:42 AM, said:

In event of civilization-shattering catastrophe, my plan is

1:  Grow a Mohawk.

2: Join a gang of post-apocalyptic outlaws, preferably led by a hockey-mask wearing dude named the Humongous, Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah.

3:  Pillage the countryside in search of "juice."

4: Watch out for that Max guy; he's dangerous.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got the hockey mask all ready :)

#43 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 12:56 AM

OK... just changed my plan... I'll run screeching for D' ... who can protect me and my camera :D

#44 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 12:58 AM

Dang right.  I live by the CAR WARS motto.

Drive Offensively: The Life You Save May Just Be Your Own.

Edited by D'Monix, 08 September 2005 - 01:05 AM.

#45 UoR11

UoR11
  • Islander
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 12:58 AM

Well, honestly, leaving here would just put me in more danger, as I'm on high ground as far as Louisiana's concerned, and we're on a seperate electrical system with buried wires. I've got a couple of flashlights, and a huge amount of bottled water on hand, in case we lose water for some time, but yeah, that's about all I've got planned for.
Yes, I am an economist. Yes, I do frequently sing "Can't Buy Me Love". No, I don't see any contradiction there.

#46 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 12:48 PM

D'Monix, on Sep 8 2005, 05:58 AM, said:

Dang right.  I live by the CAR WARS motto.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought it was If You Don't Like The Way We Drive, Stay Off The Streets...And the Sidewalks...And the Lawns...

Or was that one of the supplements?  All my Steve Jackson games are in a box in the garage right now.

Anyway, better practice your deep, booming voice:  "Just walk away, and live!"

#47 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,601 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 02:45 PM

Ever since Hurricane Hugo and no power for five days, I'm well stocked for short term survival in my home.  I have a battery powered radio with lots of fresh batteries of all sorts in addition.  I have many flashlights, candles, canned food, peanut butter, a manual can opener, several gallons of bottled water, emergency pet food, charcoal for grilling, Parmalat milk that's good for months if you don't open it.

I'm pretty far inland, and on high ground, so I don't imagine I'd ever have to evacuate ahead of something for which there is advanced warning -- we don't get wildfires.  It has occurred to me that if I lost my home and hat to go to my family in West Virginia that my sports coupe is a bit small for all the pets plus supplies, clothing, photo albums, important papers, and laptop.  So I'll probably get a sensible sedan *sigh* the next time I buy a car.

I've often meant to pack an older suitcase with new jeans, t-shirts, underwear, one or two dressier outfits, shoes, toiletries, and nightgowns that could be grabbed if my smoke alarm sounded, but I haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#48 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 04:22 PM

^^

It's okay, Cardie, there's always room in D'Monix and I's rampaging post-apocalyptic biker gang for a middle-aged English professor and pop culture maven! :devil:

#49 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,601 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 05:08 PM

As long as there's also room for an elderly dog and four cats, I'm there Zack.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#50 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 05:41 PM

MuseZack, on Sep 8 2005, 12:48 PM, said:

D'Monix, on Sep 8 2005, 05:58 AM, said:

Dang right.  I live by the CAR WARS motto.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anyway, better practice your deep, booming voice:  "Just walk away, and live!"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ummmm .... I don't think the D' needs to practice. <EWG>

Oh and I am stocked up on batteries for the camera and nuclear flash. Just in case I see something Photo Worthy.

Edited by Shoshana, 08 September 2005 - 05:42 PM.

#51 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 05:52 PM

Ha ... sitting here thinking about revising my emergency plan - important papers, many jugs of water, cat & dog food, people food, toilet paper, clothes, camping equipment, etc.... I'll need an RV to get out of town.   Upthread - money and a fast car was the ticket.  Yeah.  I'm thinking that is a good plan.

#52 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:20 PM

After watching the news, I think we'll get our cats "tagged" by our local vet. While we have carriers for them, so did some of the folks in NOLA, and they weren't allowed to bring their pets .. so better safe than sorry.

#53 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:31 PM

Shoshana, on Sep 8 2005, 02:41 PM, said:

Oh and I am stocked up on batteries for the camera and nuclear flash. Just in case I see something Photo Worthy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Speaking of photo worthy, that's the best photo of Toby yet.  He's so cute!  :love:  :love:  :love:

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#54 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:36 PM

You know reading all of these plans (my favorite being Zack with the Mohawk :howling:) I remember how when I was a little girl and living in Missouri while daddy was stationed at a base we would have "Tornado Drills" and this was not like what we had before were you get in the hallway and kiss your butt goodbye but...

We would march outside to a nearby housing area.

Now the nearby housing area was not MY nearby housing area.  My neighborhood was just to the right, the other neighborhood was just to the left.  WE were told that we would go to these peoples houses who would house us in the basement.  Now I can remember thinking-when we start crossing the road all I have to do is take off running to the right and I bet I can beat those ol' fat people and get myself to my momma and little brother.

That was my plan. :glare:

Later I realized this was not really a Tornado evacuation but a Nuclear blast evacuation.

I could have beat the blast and have been with my momma at least. :p
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#55 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 07:07 PM

Oh yeah, I remember the drills for bombs.  A neighbor had a bomb shelter and everybody in the neighborhood knew where it was.  Don't think it would have fit the whole neighborhood if it ever were needed and would probably be the root of a major battle to get in there if it were.

I would have been one of those people who wouldn't leave if I couldn't take the animals with me.  I couldn't leave any of them behind, no matter what.  I'd save us all or I'd go with them and that is a fact.

#56 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 10:44 PM

Nonny, on Sep 8 2005, 06:31 PM, said:

Shoshana, on Sep 8 2005, 02:41 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Speaking of photo worthy, that's the best photo of Toby yet.  He's so cute!  :love:  :love:  :love:

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you :) He's such a good boy.

We used to have tornado drills when I was in elementary school... the ones where you line up in the corridor and crouch down and cover your head. This was in NC I think - we'd just moved from NY and all we ever had there was fire drills ... and I thought this drill was really really funny looking. We never did have to use that knowlege, but we did get to climb under our desks during an earthquake. Funny, we never had earthquake drills...

Once we got older, schools seemed to stop having tornado drills. None in Georgia, Alabama or Texas. Just fire drills.

After the OKC bombing, we had fire drills that were really bomb threat drills. For weeks afterwards we'd be on the phone trying to do tech support and an earsplitting alarm would go off. We were supposed to hang up and go - but we rarely did. We'd explain briefly, then hangup. After a while, the drills (or threats - we never knew) tapered off. We were all twitchy because OKC was in retaliation for Waco, and where we were was inbetween Waco and OKC. Weird reasoning, but I still try to stay home on April 19th every year...

Do schools still have tornado drills? I assume thay have to have fire drills.

Edited by Shoshana, 08 September 2005 - 10:58 PM.

#57 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 11:04 PM

eloisel, on Sep 8 2005, 07:07 PM, said:

I would have been one of those people who wouldn't leave if I couldn't take the animals with me.  I couldn't leave any of them behind, no matter what.  I'd save us all or I'd go with them and that is a fact.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't be able to leave anyone behind either. If I was pupsitting, I'd have all three dogs right there.

I once was dogsitting back when my friends had 4 dogs. We had a terrible storm and I could hear things hitting the roof. The light went out and I couldn't find a flashlight. I called the dogs and 3 of the 4 ran up and put their head under my hand as I called their name. I knew where #4 was - asleep under my bed :D It really helps to have dogs that are super trained to come, sit, down and stay. You don't want to have to try and catch an animal when they're terrified.

#58 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 01:09 AM

'Shana, Toby is quite welcome in our merry band of post-fall automotive misfits, i can fix him up with a spiked collar and i'm sure Zack can hook him up with a mohawk!

#59 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 03:16 AM

D'Monix, on Sep 9 2005, 01:09 AM, said:

'Shana, Toby is quite welcome in our merry band of post-fall automotive misfits, i can fix him up with a spiked collar and i'm sure Zack can hook him up with a mohawk!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D

Thanks... but he can't have spiked collars... Brownie will hurt herself when she wrassles him ;)

Toby comes with attachments - Brownie, Chiquita and their 2 people. And me'n Gareth ... of course!  We can all sport the mowhawks tho! Well, Gareth not so much.

At least no one will sneak up on us...

#60 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 05:32 PM

The beginning of what promises to be an interesting series of posts at Kos about disaster preparedness.  I'm not making any promises about the comments but the posts themselves seem pretty much issue-based.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Disasters, Emergency Planning

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users