• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 schoolpsycho

schoolpsycho
  • Islander
  • 893 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:55 AM

Aaron Broussard, President of Jefferson Parish:

"Sir, they were told like me, every single day, 'The cavalry's coming,' on a federal level, 'The cavalry's coming, the cavalry's coming, the cavalry's coming.' I have just begun to hear the hoofs of the cavalry. The cavalry's still not here yet, but I've begun to hear the hoofs, and we're almost a week out. "

"I'm telling you most importantly I want to thank my public employees...

...that have worked 24/7. They're burned out, the doctors, the nurses. And I want to give you one last story and I'll shut up and let you tell me whatever you want to tell me. The guy who runs this building I'm in, emergency management, he's responsible for everything. His mother was trapped in St. Bernard nursing home and every day she called him and said, Are you coming, son? Is somebody coming?' And he said, 'Yeah, Mama, somebody's coming to get you. Somebody's coming to get you on Tuesday. Somebody's coming to get you on Wednesday. Somebody's coming to get you on Thursday. Somebody's coming to get you on Friday.' And she drowned Friday night. She drowned Friday night. . . Nobody's coming to get us. Nobody's coming to get us. The secretary has promised. Everybody's promised. They've had press conferences. I'm sick of the press conferences. For God sakes, shut up and send us somebody."

This is what the President was doing while people were suffering and dying.

Posted Image

Condi was off shopping.

Cheney was on vacation.

I saw the video of Aaron Broussard, read the transcript. It just now got to me.

I may get in trouble for this. I don't care.

George W. Bush, you incompetent, idiotic,  ignorant jackass, you and the rest of your cabinet were absent when people needed you. Don't give me the BS about how much you care, because if you did, you would've had your sorry ass in Washington, would've mobilized the National Gaurd to in the affected areas before the storm hit, would've accepted aid from cities and states WHEN THEY OFFERED, AND WERE READY TO GO, and would've gone immediately to the affected areas. The country and the world now see you for the pathetic inexcusable piece of humanity you are.

Because people thought help was coming.

They thought they could rely on you.

What they know now is expect nothing from you.

The Calvary is too late.

sp
Love is hard...and all there is.

#2 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:09 AM

{{{{{{{{{{{sp}}}}}}}}}}}

:(  :angry:  :(  :angry:  :(  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#3 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:47 AM

There is no defense for what these people in charge did, or I should say, did not do.

Scenario:

You have a party to go to, been planning and looking forward to it for weeks.
Your mother falls and breaks her hip.

Do you:

A. Go to the party? After all, she'll still be on the ground when you get to her later.

or B. Take your mother to the hospital?

These people left their mother on the ground while they partied.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#4 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 03:45 PM

how much would 'Somebody' have come on down there Right Fast ... if Bush and Laura had flown to Baton Rouge Tuesday afternoon, then ride on down Lafayette way with the gov lady, and into the western suburbs like close to Metairie, right up to the edge of the flood waters, camp out with a savation army aid station, and just sit right there: direct all the Wash. cabinet stuff from today's modern internet teleconferencing, or even old fashioned conference-phone with just audio, get the departments and directorates going with plans and authorizations and signoffs with his chief of staff on the Wash. end signing stuff with Prez verbal, and cab secs signing off too, mount up and move out, everything off the pad and rolling, and Bush is right there in The Zone with the sufferors ...........

I think he didn't realize the magnitude until about Wed afternoon, but still, he could have gone Then!
And with him and Laura right there, stuff wouldn't be waiting for approvals... would it?
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#5 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:07 PM

Because I still get tears in my eyes just thinking about that interview, I'm going to go into defense mode and nitpick: Jesus was crucified on Calvary.  The hoofs Broussard was hearing belong to the Cavalry.

#6 Caretaker

Caretaker
  • Islander
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:16 PM

There was no excuse for this happen at the severity it did.  Unfortunately, Bush nor his cabinent likely will be held responsible for the incompetence, and it proves that they can get away with anything.

"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos."

The warnings were all there, and no one in the federal government followed up on them.  Again.

#7 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:53 PM

schoolpsycho, on Sep 5 2005, 01:55 PM, said:

Aaron Broussard, President of Jefferson Parish:
The guy who runs this building I'm in, emergency management, he's reponsible for everything. The guy who runs this building I'm in, emergency management, he's responsible for everything. His mother was trapped in St. Bernard nursing home and every day she called him and said, Are you coming, son? Is somebody coming?' And he said, 'Yeah, Mama, somebody's coming to get you. Somebody's coming to get you on Tuesday. Somebody's coming to get you on Wednesday. Somebody's coming to get you on Thursday. Somebody's coming to get you on Friday.' And she drowned Friday night. She drowned Friday night. . .

sp

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One thing bothers me about this story. The man he is talking about, is descibed as "responsible for everything" in this emergency management building. Yet, he apparently couldn't get his own mother out of a nursing home in two days???? I would think he would have local resources and/or connections to effect her evacuation.

#8 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 07:25 PM

^not when your cut off.  Not when you are limited in your resources due to the emergency that has occured.

This is why the feds are suppose to step up to the plate.  They are not a part of the effected area.  They are by all definition suppose to be uneffected by the chaos that comes with something like this.

Like Zack's post about the Earthquake of 1906.

Or like what I've said about the Hurricane in Galveston of 1900.

Right now we have a Government that does not want to be involved with any of this and this is one of the purposes of a government.

Believe it or not it's not so they can help their buddies get rich.

And this sarcasm applies to Democrats also. :glare:
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#9 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 07:59 PM

^As a story told at least second hand it is hard to tell what all the circumstances were, but the piece says that the guy's mother is calling him. How, I wonder: telephone, cell phone, cb radio? Odd that nursing home staff wouldn't take advantage of a patient's connections t o government in this situation.
Imo, we as  a people, citizens of the U.S. leave people in too many offices too long so that they become entreched in supporting the status quo.

#10 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:03 PM

St. Benard Parish was cut-off from everything, including firefighters to come in a relieve their own. They went 5 days without someone to give them a hand...

The IAFF (International Association of Fraternal Firefighters) finally relieved them 2 days ago... The IAFF was in Baton Rogue and working by Tuesday.

The Cavalry came and could not reach them in time through no fault of their own.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#11 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:05 PM

I heard Broussard's story.  I nearly lost it, watching the man dissolve into tears.  :cry:

How horrible for that poor mother and her family!  :cry: :cry: :cry:
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#12 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:19 PM

Julianus, on Sep 5 2005, 04:59 PM, said:

^As a story told at least second hand it is hard to tell what all the circumstances were, but the piece says that the guy's mother is calling him. How, I wonder: telephone, cell phone, cb radio? Odd that nursing home staff wouldn't take advantage of a patient's connections t o government in this situation.
Imo, we as  a people, citizens of the U.S. leave people in too many offices too long so that they become entreched in supporting the status quo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just what are you saying?  Are you blaming the man for thinking that rescue was on its way to his mother, so it's his fault she died?  Please clarify.  

Nonny
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#13 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:05 PM

^I'm saying we don't really know what happened. Maybe he thought the nursing home was in a safe place and it turned out not to be. Considering the apparent loss of communications in the area, it's a bit surprising that his mother could call him apparently even after the levees broke. The levees broke on tuesday, as an emergency worker might he not have a better appreciation of what areas would be affected? Was his mother the only nursing home patient to drown?
Mr. Broussard is a politician and politicians have been known to enhance stories for effect.
As the result was the apparent death of a nursing home patient I think there needs to be futher clarification as to what happened. Habeus corpus.

Edited by Julianus, 05 September 2005 - 09:06 PM.

#14 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:15 PM

You have a man crying, seriously crying on national television... This wasn't a "let's cut up an onion" type of tears. This was heart wrenching sobs... I SAW the segment.

You tell me... Based on what I posted from the IAFF...
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#15 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:55 PM

^Do you know if this was the only person at this nursing home to drown? They didn't have enough boats to get people out - living in an area below sea level? Was this an area where FEMA told people with small boats not to enter?
There's just all kinds of questions that have to be answered.

#16 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:01 PM

Julianus, on Sep 6 2005, 02:55 AM, said:

^Do you know if this was the only person at this nursing home to drown? They didn't have enough boats to get people out - living in an area below sea level? Was this an area where FEMA told people with small boats not to enter?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As long as you're satisfying frivolous curiosity, fine.  If you have some other agenda, please be forthright about it.

And while you're at it?  Watch the segment, then tell me if you think Broussard's faking it.

#17 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:05 PM

500 boats got turned away by FEMA. The storm was bad enough to send a Tanker onto a stretch of highway. Even if the boats were secured, they were probably demolished. They still are having issues getting into Plaquemines Parish.

Firefighters had been working for 5 days without a break... The IAFF finally managed to get in via TUGBOAT...

Probably have been more deaths, they are figuring on 10s of thousands at this point. This one is the most poignant because it struck him so close to home.

Edited by Natolii, 05 September 2005 - 10:06 PM.

#18 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:10 PM

Julianus, I'm beginning to understand about all the folks who used to bristle when I'd join in a conversation about a TV show we'd all watched back in the days when I was scratching my way through college, hoping to make it back into the workplace, while stuck on SSI, on which I was barely surviving.  Some actually asked me, with a clear tone of disapproval in their voice, how I could afford a television.  Those were the ones whom I was able to answer, "because my best friend lent me an old black and white one his dad gave him."  The rest, I'm guessing, wrote me off as some welfare queen, living in style, with cable (nope, didn't have cable).  So as struck as I am by your questions, I'm glad you're asking them, because you're going outside yourself for answers, and, as one of the former marginalized, I like that.  

Nonny
Posted Image

#19 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:19 AM

Anarch, on Sep 6 2005, 03:01 AM, said:

Julianus, on Sep 6 2005, 02:55 AM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As long as you're satisfying frivolous curiosity, fine.  If you have some other agenda, please be forthright about it.

And while you're at it?  Watch the segment, then tell me if you think Broussard's faking it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm perfectly willing to assume that Mr. Broussard's emotions were totally sincere. The story about this woman's death still has some very strange points that I would like to see explained. What kind of communications link was there between the woman and her son? Why the son as an emergency relief administrator wasn't able to get any help to his mother over a two day period? Was his mother the only person from the nursing home to drown (what happened to the other residents) and how did she drown?  Was she bed bound and rising water took her, or was she lost in an attempt by perhaps exhausted local relief workers trying to move her? In a disaster like Katrina there could many explanations and could prove useful in knowing how to deal with situations in the future.

#20 Julianus

Julianus
  • Islander
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:22 AM

Nonny, on Sep 6 2005, 03:10 AM, said:

Julianus, I'm beginning to understand about all the folks who used to bristle when I'd join in a conversation about a TV show we'd all watched back in the days when I was scratching my way through college, hoping to make it back into the workplace, while stuck on SSI, on which I was barely surviving.  Some actually asked me, with a clear tone of disapproval in their voice, how I could afford a television.  Those were the ones whom I was able to answer, "because my best friend lent me an old black and white one his dad gave him."  The rest, I'm guessing, wrote me off as some welfare queen, living in style, with cable (nope, didn't have cable).  So as struck as I am by your questions, I'm glad you're asking them, because you're going outside yourself for answers, and, as one of the former marginalized, I like that. 

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you, Nonny. I appreciate your words.
Julianus the cableless   :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, Aaron Broussard, Jefferson Parish, Dying patients

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users