Media Movies Theaters Cost of Movie

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 mjtian

mjtian
  • Islander
  • 897 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:22 AM

As this article points out, less and less people are going to the theaters.  From my own perspective, I am sick and tired of paying $8.50 per ticket and another $10 for Coke and popcorn.  Oh, not to mention the lack of quality products.  Thats just my $0.02.   :)

Edited by mjtian, 05 September 2005 - 04:52 PM.

"I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot... and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why... I succeed" -Michael Jordan

#2 Cyncie

Cyncie

Cool Daddio!

• Islander
  • 689 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:36 AM

Ditto for me. It takes an exceptional film to get me out to the theaters these days. High ticket prices combined with low entertainment value are definitely the deciding factors. I wish Hollywood would stop wasting their time remaking shows I can watch on TV Land, and do something else. Another thing is the rapid transit time for films these days. Even when a movie comes along that interests me, by the time I work it into my schedule to go, it's gone.

~Cyn

Goodnight, Sweetheart
Well, it's time to go...

#3 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:39 AM

How does a person know if a movie is high quality or not, without seeing it for themselves?  :blink:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#4 mjtian

mjtian
  • Islander
  • 897 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:40 AM

Another thing is the rapid transit time for films these days. Even when a movie comes along that interests me, by the time I work it into my schedule to go, it's gone.

Good point!  I much rather sit on my couch, watch the dvd on my sony flat screen.  I am more comfortable, it cost me $4.25 and all the snacks I want for under $5.00.  The savings escalates when you have a couple of friends with you.
"I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot... and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why... I succeed" -Michael Jordan

#5 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:43 AM

theaters charge ridiculously--especially for snacks.  and i just love how they try to say no one can bring in outside food or drinks.  (at least ours does).  in these days of so many health problems, many ppl CANNOT eat buttery, salty popcorn and candy and poorly cooked hot dogs.  so they should either start offering healthy alternatives or drop that rule.

not to mention that unless they see you carrying a full bag of peanuts or fruit in your hands on the way in, how will they know you have it?  it is illegal for them to search your belongings.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#6 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:48 AM

DWF, on Sep 5 2005, 11:39 AM, said:

How does a person know if a movie is high quality or not, without seeing it for themselves?  :blink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this is a matter of shell shocked.

After awhile you just say why bother.

But I do believe people are looking more into a films storyline and makeup (production) before they bother with it.

I think some of this is also a backlash of the internet.  You can log on and get viewpoints from people that are on both sides and they aren't critics who have some sort of agenda.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#7 kcsue

kcsue

Chocolate Fiend

• Islander
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:57 AM

I'm the world's worst procrastinator.  I keep telling myself I'm going to see a movie and I just don't get around to it.  So I just wait for it to come out on cable or DVD.

When I did go to the movies I always brought my own snacks(another reason for carrying a big purse ;) .

Now I'd rather just wait until I can get the DVD(if it's something I really want).  I can sit at home, pause it when I have to, and have the snacks I want that they don't have in theaters.
As long as I have Coffee and Chocolate, the world is safe!

Tyr: Don't forget to hee-haw

#8 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:59 AM

Three things:

1) Second-run theaters rock.  $2.75 for an evening show?  That's totally my speed, even if they have totally raised the prices up from $2 since I've been here.

2) Matinees and student tickets if you can get'em.  Gotta love that.

3) "High-quality" is what you make of it.  The main trick AFAICT is to know what you're about to see and be willing to pay the ticket price for that level of entertainment.  F'rex, I went to see The Fantastic Four last month with a friend, paying $8.25 for a ticket IIRC, knowing full well the movie would be pretty crappy... precisely <i>because</i> I knew it'd be pretty crappy and that was what I was willing to pay for that amount of entertainment.

This last obviously doesn't always work, but I've found that I've almost never regretted any cinematic decisions I've made in the past five years regardless of the prices I've paid.

#9 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 12:19 PM

Anarch, on Sep 5 2005, 11:59 AM, said:

Three things:

1) Second-run theaters rock.  $2.75 for an evening show?  That's totally my speed, even if they have totally raised the prices up from $2 since I've been here.

2) Matinees and student tickets if you can get'em.  Gotta love that.

3) "High-quality" is what you make of it.  The main trick AFAICT is to know what you're about to see and be willing to pay the ticket price for that level of entertainment.  F'rex, I went to see The Fantastic Four last month with a friend, paying $8.25 for a ticket IIRC, knowing full well the movie would be pretty crappy... precisely <i>because</i> I knew it'd be pretty crappy and that was what I was willing to pay for that amount of entertainment.

This last obviously doesn't always work, but I've found that I've almost never regretted any cinematic decisions I've made in the past five years regardless of the prices I've paid.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm actually pretty selective about what I do go see.  And yes if you know what kind of film it is then you can watch it from that pov.

Like knowing that a film is just a car chase, booby girls and gun slinging then watch it from that perspective.

But price is a deciding factor.

And then we have the gas prices :whistle:  :whatsthat:
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#10 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 12:32 PM

Hibblette, on Sep 5 2005, 12:19 PM, said:

And then we have the gas prices :whistle:  :whatsthat:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thankfully I don't have to worry about that. There is a movie theater almost right around the corner, well within walking distance.

The main thing about going to the movies is: The Movie itself. That's the bottom line for me.

There just haven't been many movies that I wanted to pay that high of a price to go and see. I saw Fantastic Four at a Matinee, paying almost $5 bucks, then the coke and popcorn. Bring the total to around $15.

Dukes of Hazzard I had a free ticket for, so went and saw it. Only costed me around $11 for the coke and popcorn.

Other then that, haven't gone to too many theaters for movies. I find it's much more enjoyable to wait for the DVD, sit on my couch and watch it. Not only is it cheaper, but I'm able to smoke while watching it. Don't have some annoying baby crying through the entire movie, or people talking throughout it.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#11 mjtian

mjtian
  • Islander
  • 897 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 12:55 PM

2) Matinees and student tickets if you can get'em. Gotta love that.

Well, the thaters around me no longer accept Student Discount.  I remember paying $3.50 for student discount in Highschool.  The one theater (AMC) that accept it, its still $6.50 I believe.  

As to the quality, yes, if the movie is indeed that good I will go.  How do I know?  Word of mouth, ratings.  A good home theater system can stand up against the movie theaters as long as you're not a sound fanatic.  I can't tell much of a difference.

#12 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 01:00 PM

Based on the title, I thought this thread would be about bra sizes or along that line. ;)

I rarely go to the theater anymore.  I'll take my girls to movies they want to see...I consider that indulging them.  But generally, my GF and I would rather wait for the movie to be released and watch it in the comfort of our own home.
The Future...Unless Things Change.

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made?A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

#13 Banapis

Banapis

Tilting at Shadow Depositories

• Islander
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 01:03 PM

I love this quote:

"In an ideal world, people would say 'OK, we have to think more creatively, we have to think outside the box and come up with new and different things,' " said Steven Friedlander, head of distribution for Warner Independent Pictures, which released "March of the Penguins." (Warner Independent Pictures is a unit of Time Warner, as is CNN.)

"But I'm afraid what's going to happen is, we're all going to sit in a room and say 'We need more penguin movies.'"
:lol:

Banapis

#14 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 01:21 PM

hm...

whenever i go to the cinema, most of the previews i hate. :lol: there are always a few good ones, but most of them look bad. the problem i've had this spring/summer was that there were many movies that looked good that were all coming out at once.

i don't have enough money to see a movie a week. or, more specifically, my parents don't have enough money. i still rely on them, i don't have a job yet.

also, i haven't had any opportunities to see a movie recently.

for me, the problem isn't lack of good movies, it's just not being able to see them.

(of course that'll change when GoF comes around :wideeyed: )
Neville: "My grandmother forbids me from using raunchy language."
Harry: "Well your grandmother is a Blast-Ended Skank!"
Neville: *GASP*
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Hermione: "What's your problem Harry?"
Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

#15 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 01:33 PM

The only movie I am waiting for is Serenity, And I would be willing to pay a evening admission for.

Hollywood should understood it was doomed when the big release of a week was Duece Bigalow. The movie sick from the trailers of watching a stream of wine shoot out the hole a person has in their throat from having the voice box removed.

If that is high comedy then I am ever so glad I got to miss it.

Hollywood dug it's own grave this summer and I have to admit I hope they learn from it.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#16 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:01 PM

There were actually a number of decent movies this summer, it's just that a) there were fewer than usual, b) there was a higher proportion of crap than usual, c) what crap there was was heavily marketed, and d) what crap there was was worse than usual.

#17 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:17 PM

I'm actually enjoying 'Hollywood' this year
;)
now I'm no rabid fanboy who goes to 45 movies a year or anything ...
but I think I went to nine or ten; I like to sneak to the last matinee of the day around 4.30 so I can get in for 6 bucks, and no drinks and candy, just 6 bucks and the gas to drive there. But some years you can't do that in the week but I'm in this demarkation stage of life I don't have to still be at work til 6.30, but only for this year
:D
I went to blockbusters like Batman Begins, and littler ones like I just saw Skeleton Key, and I'm really glad I went to Kingdom of Heaven, but I can't just now remember and list every movie I enjoyed: but I think the movie makers have done sort of well this year. I go to Blockbuster and go down rows and rows and rows and rows of dvds and 'just not interested', I think last year (these dvds now) was not as good as this year for movie making, but then last year I saw a ton o dvds (the prev year's movies made), so it just goes to show: there are biorythms to the movies as there are to US.
:D
Now I think I'll go to the secret spy garden or the gardenia gardener or whatever the heck that movie is, casual gardner? Ralph Fiennes finds out those who killed his wife are really pharmaceutical world players who needed to shut her up, so what's the HUS' gonna go and do? they maybe should have hired Brad Pitt or Damon or Mr Jane for this? eh?
;)
(but it's from MR LeCarré, so Fiennes will make it work)
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#18 Angelan

Angelan

Like the tin man, but cuter.

• Islander
  • 199 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:28 PM

I go to the cinema pretty much every week, unless there really is nothing on - and we sneak our own snacks in.  It'd be madness to buy food whilst we're there.  I get a student discount, and Vue gives out these little discount vouchers, so you get another pound off or so.  Comes to about £8.50 for two of us.

There's a lot of films I'd never see on DVD that I enjoy at the cinema - the big screen makes them more interesting, I find.  But then, maybe I just have a rubbish television ;).
"Aw, it's raining."

"What are we to do?  Blame the sky?"

#19 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:29 PM

You mean most of the folk in this thread pay for food at the cinema?

Expensive habit.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#20 EChatty

EChatty

Lurker Extaordinaire

• SuperMod
  • 22,747 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:45 PM

I almost never go to the cinema and probably won't anymore now that we have a new big screen TV. The screen is 65" and the whole unit takes up almost a whole wall of the living room. To me it's just as good watching a movie on that as going to the cinema and paying an arm and a leg just for tickets, popcorn and drinks.

I don't even have to go to Blockbusters or the equivalent, my SIL has a pretty good DVD collection and when we want to watch something we just borrow a few of his DVDs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Media, Movies, Theaters, Cost of Movie

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users