• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:50 PM

second-run theaters are good--IF you have them in your area.  not everyone is that fortunate.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#22 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:53 PM

If the "the movies are worse this year" argument holds water, how to explain that two of the season's best movies, The Cinderella Man and Kingdom of Heaven, were the biggest disappointments at the box office, while the universally reviled Fantastic Four did quite well?  Moviegoers themselves bear some responsibility for rewarding junk and not patronizing ambitious fare.

Edited by MuseZack, 05 September 2005 - 02:54 PM.

"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#23 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:55 PM

I never buy food at the threater. It's overpriced and unhealthy and to me just smells awful with what they put on the popcorn. I've managed to sneak in a box of blueberries a few times but mostly I just don't bother with food or drink at the theater.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#24 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:07 PM

Godeskian, on Sep 5 2005, 12:29 PM, said:

You mean most of the folk in this thread pay for food at the cinema?

Expensive habit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it's a little hard to bring in your own popcorn and/or drinks, Gode.

now candy or other snacks, yes, i bring those myself.  if people could sneak in popcorn or drinks they likely would.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#25 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:10 PM

Well I did like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and it has done quite well and I find it amazing that film had no sex (maybe some slight innuendo) and no car chase.

It was entertaining and I was able to forget me problems while I sat in the theatre.

And to me that's a winning ticket.

Edited by Hibblette, 05 September 2005 - 04:11 PM.

"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#26 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:11 PM

MuseZack, on Sep 5 2005, 12:53 PM, said:

If the "the movies are worse this year" argument holds water, how to explain that two of the season's best movies, The Cinderella Man and Kingdom of Heaven, were the biggest disappointments at the box office, while the universally reviled Fantastic Four did quite well?  Moviegoers themselves bear some responsibility for rewarding junk and not patronizing ambitious fare.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the blame for the latter mostly lies with the fact that young kids are just developing good taste so of course they'd all want to see something as dumb as Fantastic Four.  so the parents will shell out the money to take them to it.

i didn't care to see Cinderella Man but i rather liked Kingdom of Heaven.

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#27 Cheile

Cheile

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:13 PM

regarding rising prices in my town, the only reason they went up is because the new(er) owners of the theater are cheapskates.  the prices stayed the same for YEARS.  then as soon as a certain family bought ownership of the theater, they jacked the prices up.  at least three times that i know of.  most recently in July.  matinees used to be $5.  they got moved to $6.  it's ridiculous.

Posted Image

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#28 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:27 PM

MuseZack, on Sep 5 2005, 07:53 PM, said:

If the "the movies are worse this year" argument holds water, how to explain that two of the season's best movies, The Cinderella Man and Kingdom of Heaven, were the biggest disappointments at the box office, while the universally reviled Fantastic Four did quite well?  Moviegoers themselves bear some responsibility for rewarding junk and not patronizing ambitious fare.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Best" according to what metric?  My understanding, based on friends who saw both movies, was that Cinderella Man was a generic Paint-By-Oscars Ron Howard movie, while Kingdom of Heaven was great eyecandy but historical garbage that lacked compelling characters.

For my money, best movie of the year so far was The Aristocrats but that would be, well, something of an acquired taste  :angel:  I can't remember what movies I saw earlier this year, but I know I saw a number that I felt were underrated; if anyone cares I can probably rustle them up.

#29 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:39 PM

In this age of cheap high-quality home theater components, high quality DVDs and growing HDTV everywhere and digital TV services . . . people can have a better experience in their own homes without the hassle of going to the theater.  We've got netflix, pay per view on-demand, premium channels with respectable on-demand selections in their own rights.  A night at the movies can easily cost a family of 4 more than 75 bucks.

I'm more inclined to go with a group of friends to someone's house with a nice theater setup and do dinner and a movie than schlep it out to the actual cinema for yet another crappy movie.

The cinemas just aren't offering enough extra-experience than can be had in many people's homes . . . and at a friend's place, the food's usually better. ;)

-Nick

#30 Angelan

Angelan

Like the tin man, but cuter.

• Islander
  • 199 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:49 PM

Cheile, on Sep 5 2005, 10:07 PM, said:

Godeskian, on Sep 5 2005, 12:29 PM, said:

You mean most of the folk in this thread pay for food at the cinema?

Expensive habit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

now candy or other snacks, yes, i bring those myself.  if people could sneak in popcorn or drinks they likely would.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We always have, but I have the advantage of a mother with a large shopping bag, I suppose.
"Aw, it's raining."

"What are we to do?  Blame the sky?"

#31 mjtian

mjtian
  • Islander
  • 897 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:51 PM

what crap there was was heavily marketed, and d) what crap there was was worse than usual.

Like..........War of the Worlds, Deuce Bigalow II etc etc etc etc etc etc....... :eek4:
"I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot... and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why... I succeed" -Michael Jordan

#32 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:53 PM

I'm fortunate.  Friends, family, and my bosses give me Cinemark gift cards that pay for both movies and snacks.  I rarely buy snacks and sodas.  Usually I take myself out for dinner before the movie.  I almost always go to the early matinee at a cost of $3 a ticket during the week and $4 a ticket on the weekend.  As the gift cards are $20 each, that is 5 or 6 free movies for me.  Woo Hoo!  I like movies more more when they are free.

Still, I never go see a movie that doesn't appeal to me on some level - I like those particular actors, I like the story idea, or there is something in the trailer that catches my attention.  I still manage to see about a movie a week at the theater and most of them I rate favorably.

I also see many DVD rentals.  It is a habit in this household to get together and watch movies occasionally.  Then I watch movies chosen by other people.  It is good because I've seen some movies I enjoyed but would have otherwise overlooked.

If you're interested in my reviews, here is the link to my Yahoo movie review site:

GBDowns Movie Reviews

#33 Enkephalen

Enkephalen

Peekaboo Poster

• Islander
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:20 PM

Why I don't go to the movies very much:

(1) The cost of the ticket;
(2) The high cost of the food/drinks - although I do sneak my own in from time to time.
(3) Fellow theater goers who talk on their cell phones, or do not turn their phones off;
(4) People who bring babies who cry or small children who fidget and whine and don't take them out of the theater until they settle down (especially to scary or R rated films -- I do not understand this at all!).
(5) The people behind you who keep kicking the back of your chair throughout the movie even when you ask them to STOP!
(6) Stinky popcorn wafting around you - yuck!
(7) Women who wear cheap and/or smelly perfume you can't get away from.
(8) Men who bathe in their aftershave.
(9) Obnoxious groups of teens who just can seem to sit still and enjoy the movie, but want to horse around.
(10) Some of the movies are so LOUD you cannot hear the dialog.
(11) Movie trailers that show you almost the entire plot/outcome of an upcoming film.  Now you just can wait until it comes out on DVD to rent and avoid all the foregoing irritants.
Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.

#34 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:20 PM

Anarch, on Sep 5 2005, 04:27 PM, said:

My understanding, based on friends who saw both movies, was that Cinderella Man was a generic Paint-By-Oscars Ron Howard movie
It certainly didn't help matters that it has one of the worst titles of any major film in recent memory. I don't know why the marketing department signed off on a title that a) gives all sorts of misleading impressions as to the subject of the movie, and b) sounds so downright silly that moviegoers will be embarassed to ask for tickets at the box office.

#35 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:22 PM

On the food prices and sneaking it in subject: has nobody here thought of just not eating for a couple of hours?

#36 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:34 PM

Delvo, on Sep 5 2005, 06:22 PM, said:

On the food prices and sneaking it in subject: has nobody here thought of just not eating for a couple of hours?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's me.

My biggest problem though is the bafroom. :hehe:
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#37 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:35 PM

Common sense rears its frightful head!  :fear:

Run!  Run for your lives!
Posted Image

#38 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:57 PM

waterpanther, on Sep 5 2005, 03:35 PM, said:

Common sense rears its frightful head!  :fear:

Run!  Run for your lives!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:p  

:ninjadeath:
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#39 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:38 PM

Oh, I dunno about that. I carry a backpack sometimes when I'm out, and have had no trouble bringing in a bottle of water to a theatre (during those rare times when I go see a movie). Are they going to search me? They haven't yet... (Although it's advisable not to drink too much of anything before or during a movie -- that little bathroom problem, see... ;) )
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#40 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:47 AM

Isn't this more of a General Media topic? Anyway...

Cyncie said:

...Another thing is the rapid transit time for films these days. Even when a movie comes along that interests me, by the time I work it into my schedule to go, it's gone.

This is a big problem for me as well. The movies come and go so quickly, I often lose track of what's playing currently and only find out too late that a movie has left the theatre. And recently the exhibition chains have made this even worse by switching movies from theatre to theatre partway through the run. Two weeks in a theatre I can reach, then three more in a theatre so distant it might as well be on the Moon doesn't help me.

Another problem is the increasingly poor quality of the theatres themselves. A lot of people in this thread have mentioned that they prefer home theatre to going out, and in many cases I have to agree. My TV is an just an old Trinatron with 2.0 sound, but hook a good computer up to it with TV out and suddenly it's a digital entertainment centre with excellent picture and sound. By contrast, the local theatres are all old multiplexes with aging projectors and sound systems. (Heck, the local Cinaplex doesn't even have screens with a proper aspect ratio! They cut the films off at the edges, and after seeing a bunch of DVDs with correct AR this is really starting to bug me.) There are bigger and newer theatres in the 'burbs, but once again, they're too far away to be reached. Renovate the older theatres, improve the picture and sound, wake up the projectionist a little quicker when the movie loses focus, and I'd be a happy moviegoer.

As for the argument that Hollywood isn't putting out enough good movies... I'd have to disagree. This has been an excellent year for movies, with lots of choice and happy surprises out there. Sure, things could be improved (For instance, Charlie Kaufman should be required to write a movie every year! ;)), but that's always the case. Cinema never stops growing and improving.
Per aspera ad astra

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Media, Movies, Theaters, Cost of Movie

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users