Katrina FEMA

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:24 PM

I know there are a couple of FEMA threads already but I figured this deserved its own thread.  Consider the following post at dKos.  Yes, yes, I know, it's Kos; mainly it's just a collection of links, and the links themselves appear to be from independent sources, so it's all good.

Except it isn't.  Seriously: wtf was FEMA thinking?  One or two of these stories, that's comprehensible; with literally a dozen of these stories known already, and more possibly on the way, this was no accident.  FEMA genuinely didn't want people to respond.  There's no other conclusion.

The only question that remains is: why?

Oh, and: whose heads are going to roll?

I don't care what your political persuasion is nor to what party you belong.  Demand accountability.  Make those bastards pay for what they did, or didn't do.  And raise hell if anyone this staggeringly inept is ever touted for a position of power again.

#2 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:32 PM

:eek4:

OK...so FEMA has apparently rejected a ton of help.

Why?

Is it because it isn't needed? (Very doubtful.)

Or is it because FEMA is so disorganized that they don't know how to deploy the help it's been offered?

Or what?
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#3 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:35 PM

I'm going with option two until new evidence presents itself.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#4 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:11 PM

The Wal-mart one hase been already verified by employed there... My mother.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#5 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:22 PM

It's pure stupidity.

How many of these people have degrees?

Ah yes.

Truly I think it's stupidity.

Because look they are on the hot seat.  Not a good thing any way you look at it. :Oo:
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#6 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 06:46 PM

FEMA blocks 500-boat citizen flotilla from delivering aid
So that's what happened to our Dunkirk.  :(  :(  :(  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#7 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:48 PM

And yet another curious incident of the FEMA...... :blink:  

http://news.yahoo.co...saster_response

Ummm.....this just......seems strange. :Oo:

Peridot

#8 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:55 PM

Bugger, I just put that in another thread.  Oh well -- nice catch :)

#9 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:12 PM

^  ^

Thanks!  Just thought I ought to put it up somewhere, and this seemed good.  

It just..... :eek4:  :eek4:

Peridot
Posted Image

#10 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:27 PM

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but when I read it my jaw about hit the floor and I had to confirm this was actually said . . . it was and it's documented on the Whitehouse site itself.

9-03-05, President Bush: "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job. The FEMA Director is working 24 -- (applause) -- they're working 24 hours a day."

Read the whole transcript . . . the mind boggles.

-Nick

#11 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:33 PM

Further proof that ignorance can be overwhelming.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#12 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:45 PM

You think that's disgusting, Nick?  Check out the video of the press conference if it's up somewhere (I've seen it excerpted on cable news a number of times); it's even worse.

#13 Kura

Kura

Catalyst of Irresistable Urges

• Islander
  • 214 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:46 PM

:Oo: Still another curious incident from FEMA :Oo:

Apparently they have a little problem with maps :blink:

Edited by Kura, 06 September 2005 - 09:47 PM.

I have this theory that Chocolate slows down the aging process.... It may not be true, but dare I take the chance?
Dogs have Masters - Cats have Staff!

#14 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:28 PM

I'll raise you:

ATLANTA - Not long after some 1,000 firefighters sat down for eight hours of training, the whispering began: "What are we doing here?"
   As New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin pleaded on national television for firefighters - his own are exhausted after working around the clock for a week - a battalion of highly trained men and women sat idle Sunday in a muggy Sheraton Hotel conference room in Atlanta.
    Many of the firefighters, assembled from Utah and throughout the United States by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, thought they were going to be deployed as emergency workers.
    Instead, they have learned they are going to be community-relations officers for FEMA, shuffled throughout the Gulf Coast region to disseminate fliers and a phone number: 1-800-621-FEMA.

#15 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:35 PM

That's not surprising considering this quotation from the Yahoo story:

Brown's memo told employees that among their duties, they would be expected to "convey a positive image of disaster operations to government officials, community organizations and the general public."

When I was in Atlanta, themis and I had dinner at a nice restaurant near the Westin (our hotel.)  Service was a bit leisurely, and I got wound up into quite an anti-FEMA rant.  There was a guy dining alone at the next table, and he occasionally glared at me.

When I got back to the hotel, he was in the lobby, having put on his jacket--which had FEMA emblazoned on the back.  Ordinarily I would have been embarrassed, but not with all the stuff that's going on.

Brown has to be fired--congress should demand it.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#16 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:58 PM

Incidentally, for those who don't want to read the whole article I linked above, here's the money shot:

But as specific orders began arriving to the firefighters in Atlanta, a team of 50 Monday morning quickly was ushered onto a flight headed for Louisiana. The crew's first assignment: to stand beside President Bush as he tours devastated areas.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Commander-in-Chief.

#17 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:25 PM

Everyone involved, from the President on down, needs to be fired. Since we can't fire a President...impeach him. The way the government handled this is criminal...and the politicans responsible NEED TO GO TO PRISON!
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#18 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 05:45 AM

Hours Passed before FEMA Asked for Voulnteers

WASHINGTON -- Internal documents show the government's disaster chief waited roughly five hours after Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast before asking Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff to dispatch 1,000 agency employees to the region.

The documents show the volunteers were given two days to arrive.

In a memo to Chertoff, Michael Brown, director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, said that among duties of these employees was to "convey a positive image" about the government's response for victims.

A Homeland Security Department spokesman said Brown had positioned front-line rescue teams and Coast Guard helicopters before the storm.

The memo aimed to assemble a federal work force to coordinate various operations, the spokesman said.

Now keep in mind that it should be DAYS!

http://www.whitehous...20050827-1.html

Statement on Federal Emergency Assistance for Louisiana

The President today declared an emergency exists in the State of Louisiana and ordered Federal aid to supplement state and local response efforts in the parishes located in the path of Hurricane Katrina beginning on August 26, 2005, and continuing.

The President's action authorizes the Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), to coordinate all disaster relief efforts which have the purpose of alleviating the hardship and suffering caused by the emergency on the local population, and to provide appropriate assistance for required emergency measures, authorized under Title V of the Stafford Act, to save lives, protect property and public health and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of a catastrophe in the parishes of Allen, Avoyelles, Beauregard, Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, Caldwell, Claiborne, Catahoula, Concordia, De Soto, East Baton Rouge, East Carroll, East Feliciana, Evangeline, Franklin, Grant, Jackson, LaSalle, Lincoln, Livingston, Madison, Morehouse, Natchitoches, Pointe Coupee, Ouachita, Rapides, Red River, Richland, Sabine, St. Helena, St. Landry, Tensas, Union, Vernon, Webster, West Carroll, West Feliciana, and Winn.

Specifically, FEMA is authorized to identify, mobilize, and provide at its discretion, equipment and resources necessary to alleviate the impacts of the emergency. Debris removal and emergency protective measures, including direct Federal assistance, will be provided at 75 percent Federal funding.

Representing FEMA, Michael D. Brown, Under Secretary for Emergency Preparedness and Response, Department of Homeland Security, named

"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#19 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 06:38 AM

Brown should definitely be fired. His approach to FEMA seems to parallel Bush's approach to government: nothing that can't be accomplished with lots of smoke and mirrors. PR matters most.

That works only as long as you have competent people down the chain of command who can actually get some things done despite the odds.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#20 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:09 AM

Ha!  In the continuing saga of the use of firefighters as human props, we have this little gem from Salon (day pass required):

On Monday, the Tribune says, some firefighters began to take off their FEMA-issued T-shirts in protest. A FEMA spokesman responded by questioning the firefighters' willingness to help in a time of need. "I would go back and ask the firefighter to revisit his commitment to FEMA, to firefighting and to the citizens of this country," FEMA spokeswoman Mary Hudak told the Tribune.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, FEMA

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users