Katrina FEMA

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 09:30 AM

I'm so waiting for the IAFF to tell FEMA to take a flying leap.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#22 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:02 AM

Anarch, on Sep 7 2005, 09:09 AM, said:

On Monday, the Tribune says, some firefighters began to take off their FEMA-issued T-shirts in protest. A FEMA spokesman responded by questioning the firefighters' willingness to help in a time of need. "I would go back and ask the firefighter to revisit his commitment to FEMA, to firefighting and to the citizens of this country," FEMA spokeswoman Mary Hudak told the Tribune.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since when are firefighters committed to FEMA? Those firefighter who removed their shirts in protest should ask FEMA: "I would ask FEMA to revisit their commitment to actually doing something to help people of this nation, rather then just press-conference hoping, and clapping each other on the back, all the while doing nothing."
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#23 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:11 AM

I know I'm probably not going to get a response, but I did e-mail the IAFF and one of my Senators.

It's outrageous that this is being allowed to continue.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#24 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:36 AM

It's a national disgrace and everyone in this country ought to be disgusted, outraged and demanding accountability but sadly I doubt it will happen. If the usual patterns hold true this mess will end up forgotten, rationalised away by an American public too lazy and apathetic to maintain it's focus on anything for more than 10 minutes (which is why this level of incompetence has become the norm).

We'll scapegoat the state leaders, blame the victims, castigate the press who for once were actually doing their jobs and once again the government will get off scottfree...They'll call for unity in a crisis and that we can sort out who to blame later...but later will NEVER come.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:17 AM

Lin731, on Sep 7 2005, 10:36 AM, said:

It's a national disgrace and everyone in this country ought to be disgusted, outraged and demanding accountability but sadly I doubt it will happen. If the usual patterns hold true this mess will end up forgotten, rationalised away by an American public too lazy and apathetic to maintain it's focus on anything for more than 10 minutes (which is why this level of incompetence has become the norm).

We'll scapegoat the state leaders, blame the victims, castigate the press who for once were actually doing their jobs and once again the government will get off scottfree...They'll call for unity in a crisis and that we can sort out who to blame later...but later will NEVER come.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sadly you are probably correct. And i don't even want to think about what that implies about the people of the USA. In todays world as long as the people have their comforts, their computers, their playstations and Xboxes, their tvs, ect...they really won't care about seeing Justice done when this is all said and done. In time the Media will move on to other stories, and who was responsible for the delayed amateurish aide given to the Gulf will no longer be of concern.

The victims of Katrina will be just like the Natalee Holloway case in Aruba....You don't hear squat about that now. And when the next big news story comes along, we won't hear about the victims of the gulf coast either.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#26 Hate Bush

Hate Bush
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 12:23 PM

You guys are all wrong. It's 100 percent Bushies fault.
The Orleans levee board isn't responsible for any levees. Blanco doesn't control the National Guard units. Nagin shouldn't have to follow the City's contengency plans. The Fed's can come in and take over without even being asked. Even though the damage is spread out over 90,000 square miles, Bush should have made sure that FEMA rode out the storm, in place, so that there would be help as soon as the wind died down!

#27 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 01:29 PM

It's a national disgrace and everyone in this country ought to be disgusted, outraged and demanding accountability but sadly I doubt it will happen.
You go on to say something about the "scapegoating" of state leaders and blaming victims. Which means the only "accountability" you're interested in, is from the Bush administration, while literally EVERYONE else gets a pass. I guess that comes off  reasonable enough for the "lazy and apathetic" American public you describe in your post. But the REST of us in the American public, might think you're just being wildly partisan in your analysis.

-scherzo
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#28 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 03:14 PM

As I posted in one of the other threads...
I see it this way:
Bush is my president. I was allowed to participate in the election that put him in office. Like him or not, I had a say in his election.
I am not a resident of Louisiana, or New Orleans. I had no say in the election of those public officials. Therefore I don't see it as my place to demand anything of them.

The Constitution gives the Federal government the power to protect interstate commerce, and therefore the rights inherent in the process of regulating the waterways of the Mississippi and assuring that trade can continue. I don't feel like pulling out a copy of the constitution, but I don't think it says that the federal government is obligated to make sure that interstate commerce is protected, but when it comes to navigable waterways, that is the responsibility of our Federal Government.

The way that I have been most effected by this incident is through the disruption, in so many ways, of interstate commerce. Therefore, while the technicalities of the evacuation process may have needed to been created and implemented by the local officials, am not focusing on the local officials in my source of outrage. I have a say in the federal government, and my local government. I don't think the Governor of North Carolina had anything to do with the levees in Louisiana. Therefore, I will focus on what I have some miniscule power over - MY elected officials.

If MY elected official can't delegate, consult, and appoint competent people, then I see him as responsible.

***Is easily distracted***

#29 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 03:25 PM

You go on to say something about the "scapegoating" of state leaders and blaming victims. Which means the only "accountability" you're interested in, is from the Bush administration, while literally EVERYONE else gets a pass. I guess that comes off reasonable enough for the "lazy and apathetic" American public you describe in your post. But the REST of us in the American public, might think you're just being wildly partisan in your analysis.

No, that's not what I mean Scherzo and I'd appreciate you not putting words in my mouth. What I'm pointing to is the administration is already attempting to divert ALL the blame to the state and local officials. Should the state/locals be held accountable for their part in the mess...YES. My concern is that they will be the ONLY ones held accountable. Much like the Iraqi prisoner scandal, the only heads to roll will be at the bottom and none at the top. By all means hold state/local officials accountable but I already see the diverting and shifting of blame beginning..."We'll worry about blame later" coming from the White House. I'll lay you 50 bucks right now that "later" at the Fed level will NEVER COME. The only way it WILL happen is if the American people demand it, it won't happen otherwise, well just play the "Defer/Deflect" game until the American public finds a new bone to knaw on.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#30 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 03:39 PM

Which means the only "accountability" you're interested in, is from the Bush administration, while literally EVERYONE else gets a pass. I guess that comes off reasonable enough for the "lazy and apathetic" American public you describe in your post. But the REST of us in the American public, might think you're just being wildly partisan in your analysis.

****** Like I just said in another thread, if I start hammering at my local government, people are just going to claim I'm even more partisan, because my local government is... Haley "Boss Hogg" Barbour, Republican Extraordinaire!   But I'll be more than happy to rail against him, if that's what people want, because he's a big ol' steaming dump.  Even my Republican cousins who campaigned for him aren't happy with him anymore.

I don't blame him fully, though, because I know he hasn't had much to work with.  Local governments are funded, in a large part, by the fed.  And, contrary to conservative ideals (in this as well as nearly everything else they do), the Bush administration has weakened the state governments through financial means, while inflating the size of the Fed.   So, while I'm not a fan of Mr. Barbour (although his amusing battles with Henry Chickenhawk brought me many hours of laughter in his old Warner Brothers cartoons), I don't lay the lion's share of the accountability for this debacle on his doorstep, when I know he's probably done what he can with the limited funding he's been given and the tight leash he's been kept on when it comes to weilding power.   He screwed up, yep.  But the snowball started a lot further up the hill.   And I figure the same went on in Louisiana.  Screw ups all around, but I do know they asked for more funding for their levees, and were denied to the tune of getting less than 20% of what they needed.   I'm not one to send a guy out to kill a lion armed only with a pointy stick, and then blame him for his lack of success.    True, if he were Bruce Lee then maybe he could do it, but there's only one Bruce Lee.  Or, not even one, anymore...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way
But I'm never talking to you again

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you