• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 07:55 PM

Well, Babs Bush (Dubya's mother, not his daughter) paid a visit to the NOLA evacuees.  Here, she shares some uplifting words about them.

In a segment at the top of the show on the surge of evacuees to the Texas city, Barbara Bush said: "Almost everyone Iíve talked to says we're going to move to Houston."

Then she added: "What Iím hearing is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality.

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this--this (she chuckles slightly) is working very well for them."

:blink:  :blink:

Wow.  What a lovely person.

This is it.  Now I know where Dubya's spite and insensitivity come from.  A pox on the whole Bush dynasty.   :angry:  :angry:

Edited by Call Me Robin, 05 September 2005 - 07:56 PM.

Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#2 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:00 PM

I hate her as much as I hate her stupid, incompetent son.  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  

"Working very well for them" my Aunt Fanny!  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Stupid, insensitive, rich cow.  :glare:

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#3 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:02 PM

These are the kinds of stories that we need to keep front and center.  The Bush family should NEVER be able to live them down.  NEVER.
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#4 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:09 PM

I had to fight for my life when the first Bush was president.  I was in desperate health with no health care, because the law had not yet been passed barring the VAMCs from turning women veterans away, and just because I'm receiving excellent (mostly) health care now doesn't mean that I've stopped caring about all the rest of the desperate poor, elderly and disabled people in this country.  I knew that she and Nancy and George and Ronnie didn't give a g*dd*mn about us, but that she could say words like these about the most desperate of the desperate in this country today just takes my breath away.  She is a horrible old hag.  

Nonny
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#5 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:09 PM

Everybody says GW takes after his mother.  Apparently they're right.
Posted Image

#6 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:34 PM

Poor taste at a minimum.

*sigh*

Lil
Posted Image

#7 Manic

Manic

Mostly Harmless

• Islander
  • 276 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:46 PM

Ugh. That old b*tch is such a... well... b*tch.

I hate it when the Bush family condescends to the poor. Bar just did it, and GW has done it a few times when talking about reforming social security.

Edited by Manic, 05 September 2005 - 08:46 PM.

#8 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:58 PM

And she breeds true.
Posted Image

#9 Caretaker

Caretaker
  • Islander
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:10 PM

She always struck me as a nice motherly (and grandmotherly) type.

This is making me reconsider that view.

#10 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:17 PM

This is the time for me to tell what I heard on the radio from a refugee here in the DFW area.

A young man who worked for McDonalds in the N.O. area went to find a job here in the DFW area at one of the local McDonalds.  He told them he was a refugee who had worked at a McDonalds in N.O.-they said since he wasn't planning on staying then no they couldn't hire him.

So...some are saying they want to stay in Texas.

Eh-that's one of those constants that comes from a situation like this.  Eventually when N.O. starts rebuilding these people will go back.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#11 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 09:58 PM

I can only pop in briefly, but it's worse than you think.

Update: Itís even worse. Michael Froomkin has a link to an NPR segment recording her comments. She actually said, ďWhat Iím hearing which is sort of scary is that they want to stayĒ

Edited by Anarch, 05 September 2005 - 09:59 PM.

#12 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:48 PM

She's always considered herself to be royalty. She's quite the precious princess of her little dynasty. I've never been impressed by royalty; though I'm a huge Anglophile, I always thought that a major reason that America gained independence from Britain was to free itself from royalty and not set up its own, please, thanks very much.
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#13 darthsikle

darthsikle
  • Dead account
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:03 AM

I know, they should work in the rich people's houses and sleep in the field.  That should make her more comfortable.
Goodbye.

#14 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:05 AM

I hate to see Babs wasting her beautiful mind on such things.  I've always thought she was a wonderful person, and have always had nice feelings for her ever since the first time I saw her picture on a box of Quaker oatmeal.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#15 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:33 AM

If I'd have seen the interview myself, I'd believe it.  But I've seen the press skewer quotes completely out of context to make things sound the way they want them to sound, and I'm just not buying it.

I don't believe a woman of that kind of prominence and political awareness would make such a gaffing statement.  Context is everything - and the quote, as it stands, makes absolutely no sense, leading me to believe that there was something else that was said and left out of the article.

I'll join in the frowning and finger wagging as soon as someone provides an actual transcript of the interview and shows her intent to be as it was represented here.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#16 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:31 AM

Can't listen to it myself (no speakers here) but the Drudge Report has a link to some audio... and I don't think a Bush shill like Drudge would post it if it misrepresented Babs.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#17 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:43 AM

The audio link on Drudge confirms it. Now, one might wonder why Drudge put this on his site., but it's pretty disturbing.

What bothers me most is that Barbara Bush's observation is likely to be shared by others who have lived their lives in relative isolation from the poor. The assumption seems to be that somehow these people are better off for having been flushed out of their homes, which weren't worth much anyway.  The insult is not intended, but it's sure as hell there.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#18 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:44 AM

QueenTiye, on Sep 6 2005, 05:33 AM, said:

If I'd have seen the interview myself, I'd believe it.  But I've seen the press skewer quotes completely out of context to make things sound the way they want them to sound, and I'm just not buying it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kinda hard to watch radio.  As explained in the article to which the original post in this thread linked, this happened on Marketplace.  

I don't believe a woman of that kind of prominence and political awareness would make such a gaffing statement.  Context is everything - and the quote, as it stands, makes absolutely no sense, leading me to believe that there was something else that was said and left out of the article.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check out what she said on Good Morning, America a couple years ago, quoted in the article linked in the post above yours.  Prominence, political awareness, and a cold, hard lack of concern for just about everybody outside her own, tight circle.

I'll join in the frowning and finger wagging as soon as someone provides an actual transcript of the interview and shows her intent to be as it was represented here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What frowning and finger wagging?  Can't speak for the rest of us, but I'm hating her and consigning her to the torments of a hell that I don't even believe in!  Calling our response to this woman's outrageous arrogance "frowning and finger wagging" is mighty Shirley Temple, don't you think?  

Nonny
Posted Image

#19 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:50 AM

Spectacles, on Sep 6 2005, 06:43 AM, said:

What bothers me most is that Barbara Bush's observation is likely to be shared by others who have lived their lives in relative isolation from the poor. The assumption seems to be that somehow these people are better off for having been flushed out of their homes, which weren't worth much anyway.  The insult is not intended, but it's sure as hell there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As I said to one of my neighbors last night, if I had to choose between great heart and great wealth, I'd take heart.  What these people have lost is not so much worthless housing as it is community, family, friends, neighbors, familiar faces, beloved places, music and magic in the air and so much more that somebody like Bush, with a cash register for a heart, fails to recognize as each a pearl beyond price.  

Nonny
Posted Image

#20 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:53 AM

The audio link on Drudge confirms it. Now, one might wonder why Drudge put this on his site., but it's pretty disturbing.

Two possibilities here.

1. Sludge is either so far gone with Kool-Aid intoxication that he sees nothing wrong with the remarks; or

2.  The worm is turning.

Edited by waterpanther, 06 September 2005 - 10:00 AM.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, Top News 2005, Barbara Bush, Poor evacuees

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users