• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:57 AM

There are so many people who are actually in positions of power and influence who need to be beaten up on, that it seems like a waste of time to take shots at an old lady who's been a private citizen for 12 years-- why don't y'all save your wrath for her demon spawn and his minions instead?
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#22 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:01 AM

QueenTiye, on Sep 6 2005, 09:33 AM, said:

If I'd have seen the interview myself, I'd believe it.  But I've seen the press skewer quotes completely out of context to make things sound the way they want them to sound, and I'm just not buying it.

[snip]

I'll join in the frowning and finger wagging as soon as someone provides an actual transcript of the interview and shows her intent to be as it was represented here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here's the Beautiful mind quote with a little more context and an explanation from Snopes:

I watch none. He [former President Bush] sits and listens and I read books, because I know perfectly well that, don't take offense, that 90 percent of what I hear on television is supposition, when we're talking about the news. And he's not, not as understanding of my pettiness about that. But why should we hear about body bags, and deaths, and how many, what day it's gonna happen, and how many this or what do you suppose? Or, I mean, it's, it's not relevant. So, why should I waste my beautiful mind on something like that? And watch him suffer.

Granted, it's made clear that she's talking about media coverage and overexaggeration of doom and gloom, but she still comes off as very callous and cold, IMHO.  Certainly doesn't sound like she's showing tremendous concern for the (then potential) loss of life of our own troops.

As for the Katrina comments, I listened to the program and the following quotes are verbatim with what was aired.  (you can hear the feed over here.  Her comments occur within the first few minutes of the clip.)
From Editor and Publisher:

In a segment at the top of the show on the surge of
evacuees to the Texas city, Barbara Bush said: "Almost
everyone I’ve talked to says we're going to move to
Houston."

Then she added: "What I’m hearing which is sort of
scary is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is
so overwhelmed by the hospitality.

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you
know, were underprivileged anyway, so this--this (she
chuckles slightly) is working very well for them."

More in-depth transcripts aren't likely to surface as it sounds like that's the only snipped the NPR folks kept.  There may be more on a tape somewhere that might get aired later, or it's hit the cutting room floor.  However, I don't know how you can put much better context on that one.  She's flippantly, callously demeaning these people who are still suffering and dying.  Yes, it's scary that so many individuals coming to Texas and the capacity to support those folks with jobs, housing, etc. isn't going to spring up overnight.  But the way she sounds, coupled with the unconcerned chukling that the poor folks are just swell now that they're in Texas . . . "Let them eat cake!" indeed . . .

-Nick

#23 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:04 AM

Bar may be a private citizen, but let's not kid ourselves that she's not in a position of power and influence.  It's not exercised directly, but it is exercised.

Edited by waterpanther, 06 September 2005 - 10:09 AM.

Posted Image

#24 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:05 AM

MuseZack, on Sep 6 2005, 06:57 AM, said:

There are so many people who are actually in positions of power and influence who need to be beaten up on, that it seems like a waste of time to take shots at an old lady who's been a private citizen for 12 years-- why don't y'all save your wrath for her demon spawn and his minions instead?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Zack, as Mother of Demon Spawn, she is in a position of power and influence.  But also consider this, her words are very likely to influence a lot of old ladies to pull back and reconsider helping those in direst need.  Why should I help, they could be saying, if she says they're better off?  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#25 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:07 AM

Yeah those minions like the Gov. and Mayor and the Police Chief who all waited till the Feds showed up.

Sorry as a midwesterner I know here when we had floodling this January we did not wait for FEMA to show up. We did not wait days do start doing anything. We knew that federal help was going to be days away at best.

Is the south's leadership unwilling to get off their butts and do for themselves? So far I'd have to say they do.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#26 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:13 AM

MuseZack, on Sep 6 2005, 10:57 AM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

She's far from a private citizen.  As the Queen Mother to King George II and the Prince of Florida, Jeb, she's not likely to EVER be a private citizen.  It shows us exactly what sort of "family values" Junior & Jeb grew up with when she makes callous patrician remarks like this.

-Nick

#27 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:13 AM

Let's put this is some perspective.

First, I'm appalled at some of the comments made in this thread.  And people think I'm a bad guy.  I'm a saint compared to some people 'round here...at least when I troll, it's done in jest and for fun.  If that little revelation garners me a warning, then so be it...but some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Second, as someone touched on above, Barbara Bush is so divorced from the poor section of America that she has no idea what she's talking about.  That doesn't automatically make her a bad person; it makes her out of touch with her subject matter.

Third, read this: http://www.cnn.com/2...5/katrina.fund/

Among the companies and groups that have announced pledges are Nike, Microsoft, the Trump Group, nine presidential libraries or centers, the Clinton Foundation and George H.W. and Barbara Bush.

Wal-Mart and the Walton Family Foundation have pledged more than $20 million.

Italics mine.  I'm particularly proud to see the Walton family, whose empire is seated right here in my state, in on this.

The fact is, those who have money usually don't know what it's like to be poor, and any sympathy they do have for the poor is going to come off as trite when it may not be.  Sometimes it is...sure...but not always.

So, unless you command the ability to raise millions, or hundreds of thousands, or even thousands...or if people jump when your name is spoken...lay off the old lady, huh?  Otherwise, it just comes off as Little Man Syndrome.
The Future...Unless Things Change.

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made? — A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

#28 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:16 AM

Nick, on Sep 6 2005, 03:13 PM, said:

She's far from a private citizen.  As the Queen Mother to King George II and the Prince of Florida, Jeb, she's not likely to EVER be a private citizen.  It shows us exactly what sort of "family values" Junior & Jeb grew up with when she makes callous patrician remarks like this.

-Nick

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just about as callous as your own remarks.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#29 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:30 AM

Nick, on Sep 6 2005, 07:13 AM, said:

She's far from a private citizen.  As the Queen Mother to King George II and the Prince of Florida, Jeb, she's not likely to EVER be a private citizen.  It shows us exactly what sort of "family values" Junior & Jeb grew up with when she makes callous patrician remarks like this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, I call him George III, because of the George who was president previous to his father.  :look:

Apologies to the poet who created this perfect clerihew for my blundering paraphrase, but it applies so well here and now:

George the Third
Ought never to have occurred.  
One can only wonder
At so immense a blunder.  

:blink:  

Nonny
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#30 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,137 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:31 AM

G1223, on Sep 6 2005, 11:16 AM, said:

Nick, on Sep 6 2005, 03:13 PM, said:

-Nick

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just about as callous as your own remarks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^Fair enough, and as Coyote posted, they *did* donate lots of money.  They may not know what it's like to be poor and so totally disconnected and isolated that they honestly don't see anything wrong with their remarks.  They simply don't think that way.  But this is dancing around the real problem--Romanticism vs. The Enlightenment (yeah, I've been reading too many Brin essays. ;)).  There are many theories that the Bush family is about as hardcore "social darwinist" as it gets.  These are exactly the mindsets that brough us the Guilded Age, and a detached-from-reality ruling class more concerned with their own affairs and wealth than the suffering of the general population.  These people like to pat themselves on the backs as big philanthropists when they donate large sums from their vast fortunes (which often get earned off the suffering of others).

I don't want to stray too far from the topic on a long diatribe.  The royal family jab might've been a bit harsh, and it was definately more than a little bit silly.

But it's a dog-eat-dog world . . . with a few well protected, well insulated spoiled poodles.

;)

-Nick

#31 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:43 AM

Hey QT,
The comments (unfortunately) weren't skewed or taken out of context, I heard the entire segment replayed this moring on CNN. She said it exactly as quoted (right down to the little chuckle).

CoyoteUgly,
I realise they donated alot of money but she's not any better than some head-in-the-clouds celebrity that donates lots of money but has no inkling of what it is to suffer or need. Bab's remarks point up quite clearly how far removed she is from common people and common experiences. It was a crass comment to make and the fact that she made it and appears utterly oblivious to how awful it sounded, say's alot to the sheltered, privilged life she's led. The more I see and hear from her and her son, the more sorry I feel for Senior.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#32 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:44 AM

CoyoteUgly, on Sep 6 2005, 07:13 AM, said:

at least when I troll, it's done in jest and for fun. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um, perhaps I don't understand what the word 'troll' means in your idiolect, but mine doesn't include a verb that means "to respond to a post in a nondisruptive manner."

some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But I doubt we are.  I know I'm not.  

Second, as someone touched on above, Barbara Bush is so divorced from the poor section of America that she has no idea what she's talking about.  That doesn't automatically make her a bad person; it makes her out of touch with her subject matter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let's see, poor, poor Barbara Bush, so divorced from human misery that she can comfortably make mockery of it.  Nope, not feeling the love here.  

So, unless you command the ability to raise millions, or hundreds of thousands, or even thousands...or if people jump when your name is spoken...lay off the old lady, huh?  Otherwise, it just comes off as Little Man Syndrome.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, for me it would make it Angry Cripple Syndrome.  I'll never forgive anybody associated with the Reagan/Bush regime that made life so much worse for so many like me back in the bad old days.  

Nonny
Posted Image

#33 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:49 AM

Nick, on Sep 6 2005, 07:31 AM, said:

These people like to pat themselves on the backs as big philanthropists when they donate large sums from their vast fortunes (which often get earned off the suffering of others).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right on both counts.  

The royal family jab might've been a bit harsh, and it was definately more than a little bit silly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not at all.  Quite appropriate.  

But it's a dog-eat-dog world . . . with a few well protected, well insulated spoiled poodles.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, that too.

Nonny
Posted Image

#34 darthsikle

darthsikle
  • Dead account
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:59 AM

CoyoteUgly, on Sep 6 2005, 03:13 PM, said:

.at least when I troll, it's done in jest and for fun.  If that little revelation garners me a warning, then so be it...but some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Dear Mr. Coyote,

It is against Ex/Isle's rule to accuse anyone of being a troll or trolling, even oneself.  I respectly request that you edit your post to remove this offense remark.

Very Truly Yours,

DS
Goodbye.

#35 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:26 PM

Nonny, on Sep 6 2005, 09:44 AM, said:

Um, perhaps I don't understand what the word 'troll' means in your idiolect, but mine doesn't include a verb that means "to respond to a post in a nondisruptive manner."

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about here.

But I doubt we are.  I know I'm not. 

No doubt you aren't.  Steering away from personal attacks here, let me suggest that venomous comments toward someone today beacuse of something a relative might have done to you in the past comes off as...well, rather petty.  I had serious problems with the VA under the Clinton administration...I don't drive over to Hope and berate Bill's mama.

Let's see, poor, poor Barbara Bush, so divorced from human misery that she can comfortably make mockery of it.  Nope, not feeling the love here. 

You know what? I read the statement in a different light.  For people who are underprivileged...who just lost their homes and their livelihoods...and have been taken in in Texas and are undoubtably living in better conditions than they would be at the moment in NOLA...things are working out better for them.  Additionally, should they decide to stay in Texas, they'll probably be better off there than attempting to return to a ruined city.  I'd seriously consider staying were I one of them.

No, for me it would make it Angry Cripple Syndrome.  I'll never forgive anybody associated with the Reagan/Bush regime that made life so much worse for so many like me back in the bad old days.

I'm sincerely sorry that you were screwed over by the system and it's made you bitter.  Perhaps time and some distance will allow you to gain some perspective.

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made? — A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

#36 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:26 PM

darthsikle, on Sep 6 2005, 09:59 AM, said:

CoyoteUgly, on Sep 6 2005, 03:13 PM, said:

.at least when I troll, it's done in jest and for fun.  If that little revelation garners me a warning, then so be it...but some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Dear Mr. Coyote,

It is against Ex/Isle's rule to accuse anyone of being a troll or trolling, even oneself.  I respectly request that you edit your post to remove this offense remark.

Very Truly Yours,

DS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, Darth...I'll try to watch that in the future. ;)

#37 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:52 PM

CoyoteUgly, on Sep 6 2005, 09:26 AM, said:

Nonny, on Sep 6 2005, 09:44 AM, said:

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And, of course, there's no such thing as a dictionary.  :rolleyes:

I had serious problems with the VA under the Clinton administration...I don't drive over to Hope and berate Bill's mama.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not nearly as serious as the problems I had with the VA because of a Clinton executive order, I'm willing to bet.  

Did I drive somewhere?  :unsure:

You know what? I read the statement in a different light.  For people who are underprivileged...who just lost their homes and their livelihoods...and have been taken in in Texas and are undoubtably living in better conditions than they would be at the moment in NOLA...things are working out better for them.  Additionally, should they decide to stay in Texas, they'll probably be better off there than attempting to return to a ruined city.  I'd seriously consider staying were I one of them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, whatever gets you through the night.  

No, for me it would make it Angry Cripple Syndrome.  I'll never forgive anybody associated with the Reagan/Bush regime that made life so much worse for so many like me back in the bad old days.
I'm sincerely sorry that you were screwed over by the system and it's made you bitter.  Perhaps time and some distance will allow you to gain some perspective.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, time and distance did help, thanks.  The executive order wore off, I had my final appeal, it went well, and now I'm living comfortably on VA c&p.  I'm no longer bitter on my own behalf, but I won't forgive what was done to others.  

Nonny
Posted Image

#38 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:50 PM

Nonny, on Sep 6 2005, 12:52 PM, said:

And, of course, there's no such thing as a dictionary.  :rolleyes:

Oh I understand every word...I just don't understand how you've strung them together.

Not nearly as serious as the problems I had with the VA because of a Clinton executive order, I'm willing to bet. 

Oh, I bet it was.

Did I drive somewhere?  :unsure:

I dunno.  Did you?

Hey, whatever gets you through the night. 

I sleep well at night too since I gave up smelling for blood.

Yes, time and distance did help, thanks.  The executive order wore off, I had my final appeal, it went well, and now I'm living comfortably on VA c&p.  I'm no longer bitter on my own behalf, but I won't forgive what was done to others. 

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's good.  I thank God I don't have to rely on the VA though.  Just got through with a mound of paperwork for them...bastards...they think I make too much money.

Well, I do.  I was able to plug on despite my difficulties and start my own business.

#39 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 02:17 PM

CoyoteUgly, on Sep 6 2005, 10:50 AM, said:

Nonny, on Sep 6 2005, 12:52 PM, said:

Yes, time and distance did help, thanks.  The executive order wore off, I had my final appeal, it went well, and now I'm living comfortably on VA c&p.  I'm no longer bitter on my own behalf, but I won't forgive what was done to others. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's good.  I thank God I don't have to rely on the VA though.  Just got through with a mound of paperwork for them...bastards...they think I make too much money.

Well, I do.  I was able to plug on despite my difficulties and start my own business.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Okay, I just went on help fellow veteran mode.  Are you in the middle of a claim?  Appeal?  Do you have a service organization assisting you?  I recommend the DAV, and I understand AmVets are helpful too.  This too much money thing has come up for some of the other veterans I know.  Feel free to pm me if you'd like to take this conversation private.  I'm going offline soon but will catch it tomorrow.  

One thing about the VA: their standards shift all the time. What they tell you they won't do one day, they're putting up posters for the next.  Best word of encouragement I know with the VA: persist!  

Take care, Nonny
Posted Image

#40 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 02:57 PM

No I'm fine, thank you.  I suppose that if I am making too much money, then I don't need all of what the VA had been giving me...let it go to someone else who really needs it.  I just require a certain amount of compensation based upon my prior service.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, Top News 2005, Barbara Bush, Poor evacuees

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users