Katrina Top News 2005 Barbara Bush Poor evacuees

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 darthsikle

darthsikle
  • Dead account
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:11 PM

anyone who has served our country in actual combat should be given whatever they need in life.
Goodbye.

#42 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:47 PM

CoyoteUgly, on Sep 6 2005, 01:26 PM, said:

darthsikle, on Sep 6 2005, 09:59 AM, said:

CoyoteUgly, on Sep 6 2005, 03:13 PM, said:

.at least when I troll, it's done in jest and for fun. If that little revelation garners me a warning, then so be it...but some of you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Dear Mr. Coyote,

It is against Ex/Isle's rule to accuse anyone of being a troll or trolling, even oneself.  I respectly request that you edit your post to remove this offense remark.

Very Truly Yours,

DS

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, Darth...I'll try to watch that in the future. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Darth is full of Poo, you can accuse yourself of just about anything. Silly Darth!!
:lol:
Can't Touch This!!

#43 darthsikle

darthsikle
  • Dead account
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 05:41 PM

Great:

Coyote you can keep calling yourself a TROLL as I know that you love being a TROLL.  Keep up your TROLLISH ways and never feel bad about calling yourself a TROLL again.
Goodbye.

#44 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 05:47 PM

guys, about the topic okay, not each other. :)

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#45 darthsikle

darthsikle
  • Dead account
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 05:55 PM

Godeskian, on Sep 6 2005, 10:47 PM, said:

guys, about the topic okay, not each other. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OMG, you're absolutely right Godeskian.  Barbara Bush is just trolling the democrats.  Why didnt I see that before??
Goodbye.

#46 SilverNeonASH

SilverNeonASH
  • Islander
  • 387 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:36 PM

That Barbara Bush is far removed from the poor is obvious. She also has a constitution right speak on subjects for which she has little knowlege. It doesn't do much for her credibility. Were she not married to Bush, she'd be one of the poor.

#47 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:44 PM

What do constitutional rights have to do with this?  Honestly.   Yes she can say pretty much whatever.  That has zero, zilch, nada, nil, NOTHING to do with people knocking her for it.  Free speech does not equal freedom from consequences!

:crazy:
Posted Image

#48 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:29 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Sep 6 2005, 06:44 PM, said:

What do constitutional rights have to do with this?  Honestly.   Yes she can say pretty much whatever.  That has zero, zilch, nada, nil, NOTHING to do with people knocking her for it.  Free speech does not equal freedom from consequences!

:crazy:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or as I have been known to say-free speech...sure you can say it but the question is, should you?

Love your Avatar Lil.

:thumbs-up:
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#49 SilverNeonASH

SilverNeonASH
  • Islander
  • 387 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:40 PM

And Barbara Bush said it and shouldn't have. I just ate half a pound of caramel and I shouldn't have. All of us are allowed to do either. Barbara Bush's statement has generated a backlash. My gluttony threatens to generate a tremendous back side. Some people have a penchent for stuffing their feet down their throats. The only agreement any one can come to is, that, the caramel probably tastes better.

#50 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:02 PM

Hibblette, on Sep 6 2005, 05:29 PM, said:

Or as I have been known to say-free speech...sure you can say it but the question is, should you?

For me it's not a question of can v. should it's a question of understanding that if one chooses to say stuff, they don't do it in a vaccuum and they can damned well live with the consequences, including negative backlash.  

Love your Avatar Lil.

:thumbs-up:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have Drew and Kathy  to thank for it.

:D

Lil
Posted Image

#51 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:29 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Sep 6 2005, 09:02 PM, said:

Hibblette, on Sep 6 2005, 05:29 PM, said:

For me it's not a question of can v. should it's a question of understanding that if one chooses to say stuff, they don't do it in a vaccuum and they can damned well live with the consequences, including negative backlash.  

But of course.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#52 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:58 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Sep 6 2005, 02:34 AM, said:

Poor taste at a minimum.

*sigh*

Lil

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quite.  :Oo:
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#53 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 05:51 PM

Edited my comments because I might've misinterpreted BB's comments, and my comments could be offensive to some here.

Someone pointed out to me this:

Just a thought, but everyone in the Superdome that Barbara Bush refers to (by definition) was too poor to drive out of New Orleans when the evacuation order came. Most poor people don't own homes, they rent. There's nothing to go back to, one would presume, for some.

So yes, there are indeed people in the Superdome for whom a permanent move to Texas would be "very well for them". Barbara might've speaking of Texan hospitality, and not how the flood was a good thing.

So, what do you people think? Is it possible this is what BB meant?

Edited by LORD of the SWORD, 07 September 2005 - 11:22 PM.

"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#54 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:33 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Sep 7 2005, 02:51 PM, said:

Edited my comments because I might've misinterpreted BB's comments, and my comments could be offensive to some here.

Someone pointed out to me this:

Just a thought, but everyone in the Superdome that Barbara Bush refers to (by definition) was too poor to drive out of New Orleans when the evacuation order came. Most poor people don't own homes, they rent. There's nothing to go back to, one would presume, for some.

So yes, there are indeed people in the Superdome for whom a permanent move to Texas would be "very well for them". Barbara might've speaking of Texan hospitality, and not how the flood was a good thing.
So, what do you people think? Is it possible this is what BB meant?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I think she meant the same thing that one of my neighbor's meant when she laughed about children left orphaned and parents losing children and said, "Those kind breed like flies."  I think she was making a cruel, insensitive comment about people who may not have lost much in the way of material goods, since they had so little, but who have lost much by losing family members, friends, neighbors, a way of life they loved.  

And just because you rent doesn't mean you don't have stuff you don't want to lose, like pictures of your parents and grandparents, things that can never be replaced.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#55 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:38 PM

Nonny, on Sep 7 2005, 11:33 PM, said:

And just because you rent doesn't mean you don't have stuff you don't want to lose, like pictures of your parents and grandparents, things that can never be replaced. 

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is true...and I don't necessary buy that she was referring to Texan hospitality...I merely wanted to bring it up and see what everyone else thought...because it could've been what she meant and it just came out wrong.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#56 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:47 PM

I said something to that effect earlier in the thread:

CoyoteUgly said:

The fact is, those who have money usually don't know what it's like to be poor, and any sympathy they do have for the poor is going to come off as trite when it may not be. Sometimes it is...sure...but not always.

and it was quickly explained to me that there was no way there could be any positive spin on BB's statement whatsoever.  She just belongs to the wrong party and wrong family to ever get a fair shake from a significant portion of the populace.

When you have lots of money, any attempt at being publicly benevolent to the poor is often perceived as condescending.  I guess the days of Carnegie are long gone.

I, however, choose to err on the side of having a positive attitude... if for no other reason than I simply don't have time to cut every throat that's bared to me. ;)

However, were I BB, I'd feel tempted to find a small stuffed donkey, bore a hole in it's backside, and take it with me to such events.  After every statement, I'd mount the toy donkey on my middle finger and spin it while holding it toward the camera...while smiling as only an elderly lady can.
The Future...Unless Things Change.

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made? A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, Top News 2005, Barbara Bush, Poor evacuees

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users