displeasure

or

looking for ways to
ridicule
judge
condemn
demonize
others?

Is a day spent not hating anyone or finding fault with anyone a complete waste of time?

Just curious.

#2 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:37 AM

Why don't you go first. ;)
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#3 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:39 AM

Neither.

#4 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:43 AM

eloisel, on Sep 6 2005, 10:36 AM, said:

Just curious, on the daily average, what do you spend most of your time on:

expressing
disgust
hatred
dislike
unhappiness
displeasure

or

looking for ways to
ridicule
judge
condemn
demonize
others?

Is a day spent not hating anyone or finding fault with anyone a complete waste of time?

Just curious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Neither.... that's an unfair set of choices... but I do get your sentiment.  I've often found that talking to people about what's wrong with other people is far easier than talking about what's right with other people, or how to fix what's broke.  It bugs me that amount of enthusiasm a few well placed "that so-and-so-did-such" generates,  and it bugs me too that so much energy allegedly spent on solution finding is actually being spent on finger pointing.  It is practically universal.

QT

Edited by QueenTiye, 06 September 2005 - 10:02 AM.

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#5 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:07 AM

Spectacles, on Sep 6 2005, 02:37 PM, said:

Why don't you go first. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would like to think that I have emotions that are more important to me than disgust, hatred, dislike, unhappiness, displeasure.  I'd like to think that it isn't my goal in life to ridicule, judge, condemn, or demonize others.  I would like to think that about myself.  And, so, I'm going to call it quits for awhile because it really is important to me that my life has more in it than how much negativity I can ingest and spew back.

#6 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:11 AM

Well reading a lot of threads in OT I have to say a lot of folks enjoy bad mouthing the President and anyone who supports him. We had Hibblette do that with CJ Aegis a day or so ago when all he was trying to do was explain what reality was. Not to support a political leaderhttp://www.exisle.net/mb/index.php?showtopic=30967&st=50 I direct attention to post 51.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#7 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:19 AM

G1223 said:

a lot of folks enjoy bad mouthing the President
Can you prove this?  No, you can't, because it isn't true.  We bad mouth the president because he is incompetent, not because we enjoy it.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#8 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:29 AM

<Nick:>Comment placed in spoiler tags while under consideration

You want to be mad at Bush for the Hurricane. Yet you do not want to yell at the govenors and mayors who had a more direct hand into the mess. The Govennors who did not call up the national guard units not already federalized to do their jobs. Who seemed unable to tell the state troopers and police officers to just shot looters.

They waited till the feds showed up.What were they doing beforehand?

<Nick:>Comment placed in spoiler tags while under consideration
Spoiler: click to show/hide

This is an another excuse to vomit up on Bush rather than spread that anger around at those who deserve it more.

Edited to make our god mods happy

Edited by G1223, 06 September 2005 - 12:13 PM.

If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#9 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:56 AM

Yeah, I kinda thought that this was really about slamming those who are critical of the federal response to the devastation of Katrina. Thanks for bringing the subtext to the surface, G.

There are those whose criticisms of the Bush administration are knee-jerk.

But there are also those whose defense of the Bush administration is knee-jerk, too.

Right now, people in New Orleans and all along the Gulf Coast are going through an absolute nightmare. And people from ALL political persuasions are horrified by our government's apparent ineptness in responding to the emergency. Primarily, people are upset with FEMA and Homeland Security, since this is their domain.

Is Michelle Malkin a Bush-hater, G? She's about as far-right as right can get and yet she has called for Michael Brown's resignation.

Is Republican Trent Lott a Bush-hater? He's upset with FEMA, too. So are plenty of other Republicans--just not the ones on FreeRepublic and LittleGreenFootballs who are content largely to lay all blame on the victims and state and local officials. Some blame should go there, no doubt. But the utter confusion and slowness of the federal response is a very real problem that is alarming to most Americans.

This time, the tactic of complaining about the "mean Bush-haters" isn't going to work. And it's getting mighty old. We've heard that used far too often to defend every screwup this administration has made from the Iraq War to the deficit. But this tragedy is immediately under our noses, it's about people's lives and their deaths, and it isn't spinnable.

People are angry and horrified and sad beyond words, and they have every right to voice their outrage. They have a responsibility to do so with facts and not rumors, and here they have the obligation to do so within the board guidelines, but beyond that, it is pure knee-jerk Bush-cheerleading to attempt to spank people for expressing their thoughts and feelings about this national tragedy if those thoughts and feeling happen to lay any blame whatsoever at the Bush administration's feet.

Like others, I have cried, I have lost sleep, I have sent money, I have worried about  
people I know down there and people I don't know. I'm sick about the many, many tragedies. I don't much appreciate being told that I should keep my mouth shut unless I have something good to say.

Edited by Spectacles, 06 September 2005 - 11:09 AM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#10 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:57 AM

G1223, on Sep 6 2005, 07:29 AM, said:

This is an another excuse to vomit up on Bush rather than spread that anger around at those who deserve it more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nobody deserves it more than Bush.  He's the one who's supposed to be in charge.  

Of course, if he doesn't want to be in charge any more, he could save the country a lot of trouble and resign.  

Nonny
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#11 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:01 AM

A president relies on his staff to do their jobs. My hope is that when this is under control, President Bush fires a few members of that staff.

#12 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:03 AM

<Nick:>Questionable comments quoted/discussed placed in spoiler tags.

G: As a midwesterner I got to ask is the south too lazy or too stupid to start clearing the mess up? I know from flooding and tornadoes that the feds are not going to get to my area for a week to ten days. But the locals were there RIGHT FRELLING THEN.

Good to know that it's not just the Bush-haters who resort to  

looking for ways to
ridicule
judge
condemn
demonize
others?

By the way, I'm a Southerner....
Board guidelines prevent me from saying anything else at the moment.

Edited by Nick, 06 September 2005 - 12:04 PM.

#13 darthsikle

darthsikle
  • Dead account
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:03 AM

Nonny, on Sep 6 2005, 03:57 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nobody deserves it more than Bush.  He's the one who's supposed to be in charge.  

Of course, if he doesn't want to be in charge any more, he could save the country a lot of trouble and resign.  

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I beleive you are violating the Patriot Act with this nonsesse.  Better be careful!!
Goodbye.

#14 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:14 AM

darthsikle, on Sep 6 2005, 08:03 AM, said:

Nonny, on Sep 6 2005, 03:57 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I beleive you are violating the Patriot Act with this nonsesse.  Better be careful!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This 100% DAV, disabled permanently and totally in service to her country, says, Bring It On!  

Nonny
Posted Image

#15 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:21 AM

eloisel, on Sep 6 2005, 07:36 AM, said:

Just curious, on the daily average, what do you spend most of your time on:

expressing
disgust
hatred
dislike
unhappiness
displeasure

or

looking for ways to
ridicule
judge
condemn
demonize
others?

Just curious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've found myself sometimes of any given day doing some of these things. I don't think I do them everyday--I want to think I don't do them everyday.

As to the question about hating anyone, NO a day not doing this is not a waste of time, it is a very good day!  I've hated some people for some time period in my life, but it's a great waste of energy and my life--but you have to find a way to get rid of the emotion of hate, either it fades with time or you have to make efforts NOT to hate.

Just hating the President for everything is no solution to anything! He isn't responsible for all the bad in the world--and I didnt' vote for the gentleman.

Edited by shambalayogi, 06 September 2005 - 11:22 AM.

Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#16 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:28 AM

<Nick:>Post placed in spoiler tags . . .

As a midwesterner I got to ask is the south too lazy or too stupid to start clearing the mess up?

***** And as a Southerner who has friends and family who are suffering from this disaster, including several who've lost their homes, I'd like to say a lot of things back to you for that completely a-hole comment, but it'd never pass the board guidelines.  I'll be sure to remember you said it, though.  *

*sentence edited out at mod request - not because I'm the least bit sorry for it, 'cuz I'm not

Cheers,

Zwolf

Edited by Zwolf666, 08 September 2005 - 10:57 AM.

"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#17 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:30 AM

<Nick:> Tags mine . .  

G1223, on Sep 6 2005, 10:29 AM, said:

Eight threads of the same vomit. You folks dig up anything and everything you can start a new thread and start up all over again.

You want to be mad at Bush for the Hurricane. Yet you do not want to yell at the govenors and mayors who had a more direct hand into the mess. The Govennors who did not call up the national guard units not already federalized to do their jobs. Who seemed unable to tell the state troopers and police officers to just shot looters.

They waited till the feds showed up.What were they doing beforehand?

As a midwesterner I got to ask is the south too lazy or too stupid to start clearing the mess up? I know from flooding and tornadoes that the feds are not going to get to my area for a week to ten days. But the locals were there  RIGHT FRELLING THEN.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

~.~ Well, Specs, board guidelines won't stop me.

G1223, it is bad enough that you keep embarrassing me by mentioning that you are a midwesterner, but to outright say:

the south too lazy or too stupid
is over the line.

There are as many brilliant and stupid people in the south as in the midwest or the north or the east or etc... They work hard, they love, they laugh and, they die. Right now people in the southern part of ...our... country are dying and suffering and you call them "lazy or too stupid"!?
Just because they depended on the help that they had every right to depend upon, means they are lazy and stupid? Just because they thought that their own president would jump to help them as fast...
No, gonna stop there, Specs said it better.

Admins may ban me for this, but G1223, before you call someone else "too stupid" maybe you ought to look in a mirror.

Edited by Nick, 06 September 2005 - 12:15 PM.

El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#18 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:31 AM

{{{{{{{{{{{Zwolf}}}}}}}}}}}

You managed more restraint than I could have.  

Nonny
Posted Image

#19 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,149 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:35 AM

New Orleans was better prepared, they even had an evacuation plan in place. No one used it, but it was there, just like they didn't use the school buses that were parked, and not being used for anything else.

I think the Governor and Mayor have a lot more to answer for then Bush and company.

That said, the administration also needs to say what took so long.
Can't Touch This!!

#20 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:35 AM

If this is a response to the recent flurry of angry, negative posts in OT, then what the heck, I'll bite.  

I'm a pretty happy, optimistic person most of the time.  I like humanity and think we've got a heck of a future if we can get our act together.  I also enjoy sunsets, adorable kittens, and the company of good friends.

However...

Injustice angers me.  The needless deaths of my fellow Americans and human beings angers me.    And frankly, the whole "let's not find fault with anyone, let's just pull together and focus on the positive" attitude is part of what got us into this mess in the first place.  Perhaps if people had asked harder questions about the behavior of our leaders on and after 9/11 and then again after the fall of Baghdad, we'd be in a better position today.  I mean, I used to sort of sympathize with those who thought Michael Moore was taking a cheap and unfair shot at Bush for his inexplicable behavior in that Florida classroom on 9/11.  But the days after Hurricane Katrina have been "My Pet Goat" writ very large, and this time we can't say we weren't warned.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Human Expressions, Culture

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users