163 replies to this topic

#161 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 11:39 PM

Regarding Presidential Authority in a Disaster:

http://en.wikipedia....te_of_emergency

A federal emergency declaration allows the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to exercise its power to deal with emergency situations; federal assistance also become available to areas that are declared to be in a state of emergency. For FEMA, emergency declarations are different from the more common disaster declarations done for hurricanes and floods.

In the United States, the chief executive is typically empowered to declare a State of Emergency. The President of the United States, a governor of a state, or even a local mayor may declare a State of Emergency within his or her jurisdiction. This is relatively rare at the federal level, but quite common at the state level in response to natural disasters.

Typically, a state of emergency empowers the executive to name coordinating officials to deal with the emergency and to override normal administrative processes regarding the passage of administrative rules.

http://www.washingto...5090301680.html

A senior administration official said that Bush has clear legal authority to federalize National Guard units to quell civil disturbances under the Insurrection Act and will continue to try to unify the chains of command that are split among the president, the Louisiana governor and the New Orleans mayor.

http://news.yahoo.co..._national_guard

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson offered Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco help from his state's National Guard last Sunday, the day before Hurricane
Katrina hit Louisiana. Blanco accepted, but paperwork needed to get the troops en route didn't come from Washington until late Thursday.

Maj. Gen. Thomas Cutler, who leads the Michigan National Guard, said he anticipated a call for police units and started preparing them, but couldn't go until states in the hurricane zone asked them to come.

"We could have had people on the road Tuesday," Cutler said. "We have to wait and respond to their need."

The Michigan National Guard was asked for military police by Mississippi late Tuesday and by Louisiana officials late Wednesday. The state sent 182 MPs to Mississippi on Friday and had 242 headed to Louisiana on Saturday.

Bush had the legal authority to order the National Guard to the disaster area himself, as he did after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks . But the troops four years ago were deployed for national security protection, and presidents of both parties traditionally defer to governors to deploy their own National Guardsmen and request help from other states when it comes to natural disasters.

In addition to Guard help, the federal government could have activated, but did not, a major air support plan under a pre-existing contract with airlines. The program, called Civilian Reserve Air Fleet, lets the government quickly put private cargo and passenger planes into service.

So both are responsible to a degree...Blanco didn't request NG troops from other states for the most part soon enough and in the case where she DID, the paperwork was not sent from Washington in a timely fashion. Also The President DID have it in his power to order the Guard in himself and didn't...In this case he should have.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#162 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 11:45 PM

Hibblette, on Sep 9 2005, 01:02 AM, said:

Isn't Louisiana's Homeland Security under Homeland Security?

On the Red Cross site they didn't distinguish and to tell you the truth I don't think it should be and why?  Because the whole purpose of Homeland Security is to lump alllll these agency's together so that they can allllll work together.

Which is actually a marvelous idea.

But I think a reassessment is in order.

It looked good on paper...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree a reassessment is in order. Part of the reason for FEMA to be tied into HS was so that in a terrorist attack FEMA which did not have access to Intellegnce information could get to it without having to go back to. So there was some merit but it fouled up somewhere.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#163 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:15 PM

eloisel, on Sep 6 2005, 02:36 PM, said:

Just curious, on the daily average, what do you spend most of your time on:

expressing
disgust
hatred
dislike
unhappiness
displeasure

or

looking for ways to
ridicule
judge
condemn
demonize
others?

Is a day spent not hating anyone or finding fault with anyone a complete waste of time?

Just curious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do all those things.  I'm a totally mean person.  In fact, I come into Exisle solely for the purpose of expressing disgust and hatred and dislike and unhappiness and displeasure.  I also enjoy looking for ways to ridicule, judge, condemn, and demonize others.  First thing I do in the morning, in fact, after I finish my first cup of coffee!  It's a way cool way to spend time!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#164 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 12:37 AM

Call Me Robin, on Sep 10 2005, 04:15 AM, said:

I do all those things.  I'm a totally mean person.  In fact, I come into Exisle solely for the purpose of expressing disgust and hatred and dislike and unhappiness and displeasure.  I also enjoy looking for ways to ridicule, judge, condemn, and demonize others.  First thing I do in the morning, in fact, after I finish my first cup of coffee!  It's a way cool way to spend time!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
To quote Cait, "Thank you. I find the truth very refereshing."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Human Expressions, Culture

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users