#21 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:37 AM

<Nick:>Tags mine . . .
Spoiler: click to show/hide

G,
Congrats, your comment was far tackier than any of the comments you were complaining about...You're number one! :glare:  I'm also a midwesterner and find your comments beyond embarassing. The flooding we deal with here is NOTHING on the scale of what they are dealing with down there right now and the only stupidity I see on display at the moment isn't coming from the "southerners" You don't speak for me or anyone else that I know of from the midwest so please keep your regional affliations to yourself, as the rest of us don't want to be broadbrushed by comments like yours.

Edited by Nick, 06 September 2005 - 12:18 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#22 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:38 AM

<Nick:>More spoiler tags . . . yay

Lin731, on Sep 6 2005, 04:37 PM, said:

G,
Congrats, your comment was far tackier than any of the comments you were complaining about...You're number one! :glare:  I'm also a midwesterner and find your comments beyond embarassing. The flooding we deal with here is NOTHING on the scale of what they are dealing with down there right now and the only stupidity I see on display at the moment isn't coming from the "southerners" You don't speak for me or anyone else that I know of from the midwest so please keep your regional affliations to yourself, as the rest of us don't want to be broadbrushed by comments like yours.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, and to all the midwesterners on the board.....

BUCKEYES RULE!!!

:devil:

Sorry, just trying to lighten the mood for a moment.  You can take the boy out of Columbus, but, well, you know the rest...

Edited by Nick, 06 September 2005 - 12:19 PM.

"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#23 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:47 AM

Now MuzeZack let's not go there...cause every MidWesterner knows that it allllllll about the Wolverines. We let you guys win the Big Ten from time to time too but only on the years they're building new trophy cases in the Field House. :lol:  ;) Thanks btw...I needed the grin!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#24 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:49 AM

Lover of Purple, on Sep 6 2005, 11:01 AM, said:

A president relies on his staff to do their jobs. My hope is that when this is under control, President Bush fires a few members of that staff.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me, too, LoP.

Unfortunately,  he's already praised "Brownie" (Michael Brown, head of FEMA) for his good work so I doubt we'll see him get a pink slip.

By the way, one of the best remarks I've heard about all this came from a woman who is Dade County's emergency coordinator in FL. She said Brown is "doing a helluva job" because "as far as I know, no Arabian horses have died" in the storm and its aftermath. :)

(By way of explanation, Brown was head of an Arabian Horse Association for eleven years before Bush handed him the keys to FEMA.)
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#25 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:51 AM

Instead of looking for subtext, we could have actually focused on the question and examined our own behaviours in light of it.

G1223 thanks for turning this into a partisan thread.  It wasn't one before you started.  Whatever subtext was there - we all had the choice to respond directly to what the actual text said.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#26 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:56 AM

hey now, Zack and Lin, I hate to burst your bubbles, but Hawks and/or Cyclones rule! ;)

Spectacles, on Sep 6 2005, 11:49 AM, said:

(By way of explanation, Brown was head of an Arabian Horse Association for eleven years before Bush handed him the keys to FEMA.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

~.~ ah, I knew that name sounded familiar. From vast experience, I can safely say the Arabian Horse Association is only for the rich. The rest of us don't exist.
He did not save the AHA, what made bush think he'd be good for FEMA?
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#27 Smiley

Smiley

harumph

• Islander
  • 937 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:56 AM

Lin731, on Sep 6 2005, 10:47 AM, said:

Now MuzeZack let's not go there...cause every MidWesterner knows that it allllllll about the Wolverines.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*shakes fist* Boooooooo! And the Buckeyes too...Boooooo!

edited to add buckeyes

Edited by Smiley, 06 September 2005 - 11:56 AM.

Friends are just enemies that don't have the guts to kill you.
See Ya Space Cowboy

#28 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:00 PM

Now can't all we Midwesterners pulled together, not be judgemental, critical and demonise our rivals? Can't we all just make smores and sing Kumbayah? ;)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#29 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:02 PM

eloisel, on Sep 6 2005, 10:36 AM, said:

Just curious, on the daily average, what do you spend most of your time on:

expressing
disgust
hatred
dislike
unhappiness
displeasure

or

looking for ways to
ridicule
judge
condemn
demonize
others?

Is a day spent not hating anyone or finding fault with anyone a complete waste of time?

Just curious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Due to my disabilities and chemotherapy, I spend most of my time in a non-functional condition.

Spoiler tags by Nick . . .

G1223, on Sep 6 2005, 11:29 AM, said:

Eight threads of the same vomit. You folks dig up anything and everything you can start a new thread and start up all over again.

You want to be mad at Bush for the Hurricane. Yet you do not want to yell at the govenors and mayors who had a more direct hand into the mess. The Govennors who did not call up the national guard units not already federalized to do their jobs. Who seemed unable to tell the state troopers and police officers to just shot looters.

They waited till the feds showed up.What were they doing beforehand?

As a midwesterner I got to ask is the south too lazy or too stupid to start clearing the mess up? I know from flooding and tornadoes that the feds are not going to get to my area for a week to ten days. But the locals were there  RIGHT FRELLING THEN.

This is an another excuse to vomit up on Bush rather than spread that anger around at those who deserve it more.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

God said that vengeance was his. So I donít hate, and I donít take vengeance.

However I both fear my government, and for the first time in my life am ashamed to be an American, because of President Bush.

What you and he do not realize; is that American society is not as extroverted as most people think. Americans out of fear, on many levels will say one thing and vote completely differently. For the next couple of generations the majority of African Americans will not trust the Republican Party. So on that level at least the republicans have lost their razor thin majority, in the popular vote.

G1223 your president and his party before him has done something very bad and the American people will not speak of it openly for the shame, nor will they forget. AND G. itís only going to get a lot worse, as the morgue units take the dead women, children, and elderly out of the flooded low rent district.

And before you start talking about how itís their own fault, and the Clintons, understand that it is the party in power that gets the fame or blame, and the poor know how the government game is played. It will be easy to get the poor to go to the polls after this.

As a matter of fact I what you to talk about how itís the victims, or cityís fault it will only turn more of the silent majority in to haters of Bush and his cult of personality.

Edited by Nick, 06 September 2005 - 12:22 PM.

Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#30 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:04 PM

Kosh, on Sep 6 2005, 04:35 PM, said:

New Orleans was better prepared, they even had an evacuation plan in place. No one used it, but it was there, just like they didn't use the school buses that were parked, and not being used for anything else.

I think the Governor and Mayor have a lot more to answer for then Bush and company.

That said, the administration also needs to say what took so long.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OH but Kosh we have to vomit on Bush he is evil while the mayor and govenor are poor misled people unable to be actual leaders in their own rights.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#31 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,905 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:08 PM

eloisel, on Sep 6 2005, 09:36 AM, said:

expressing
disgust
hatred
dislike
unhappiness
displeasure

or

looking for ways to
ridicule
judge
condemn
demonize
others?

Is a day spent not hating anyone or finding fault with anyone a complete waste of time?

Just curious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

~.~ Now to reply to the original question.

Given the choice of emotions/actions, I'd have to go with, none of the above.

See, I manage to spend my days surviving. Surviving pain, loss, finding ways to pay for things, cramming 48 hours into 24, etc... things is, in the midst of eveything that gets me down is love and laughter.

I don't go anywhere in rl or the web with the thought that I am going to attack someone or make them feel bad. I also do not expect that I will have to defend my lifestyle/beliefs, but it does happen and I deal with it, generally with annoyance at first, then laughter.

As for your last question. I hate no one, I have felt hate for brief moments in my life, but it goes away, because hate is a waste of my time.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#32 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:15 PM

G: OH but Kosh we have to vomit on Bush he is evil while the mayor and govenor are poor misled people unable to be actual leaders in their own rights

G, I think the mayor and governor made mistakes. I think the mandatory evacuation should have been issued sooner, and I think free transportation should have been arranged for those who didn't have cars.  I also think that mandatory evacuations should have been called all along the Gulf Coast.

Now a question for you: do you think the Bush administration and the federal government fell short in any respect? Are you satisfied with Homeland Security and FEMA?

If you think sole responsibility should be assigned to the governor of LA, what do you think about Mississippi's governor? People all along the Gulf Coast, not just NO, are still awaiting aid and rescue.

Edited by Spectacles, 06 September 2005 - 12:17 PM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#33 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:19 PM

MuseZack, on Sep 6 2005, 08:38 AM, said:

Oh, and to all the midwesterners on the board.....

BUCKEYES RULE!!!

:devil:

Sorry, just trying to lighten the mood for a moment.  You can take the boy out of Columbus, but, well, you know the rest...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Daaa dadaaa dadaaaaaadaaaaaaaadaaaaaaa tell them Ohio's here!
Set the earth reverberating with a mighty cheer! Rah! Rah! Rah!  

I never have learned the first few words.  :blush:  

Happy to be from Euclid.  Far away from!  :p  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#34 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:21 PM

expressing
disgust
hatred
dislike
unhappiness
displeasure

or

looking for ways to
ridicule
judge
condemn
demonize
others?

***** Actually, I spend most of my time making the world safe for kittens and puppies, spreading joy and happiness, and watching re-runs of Combat!   But, I try to pencil in a few minutes each day for hatefulness and spite, just to try to keep up.  But I don't have to tell you that: you obviously understand how important such things are.  :)

******* Not a complete waste of time, no.  I also enjoy spending my time replying to posts that find fault with others for finding fault with others.  Now that's time well spent!

Just curious.

******** With a capital H.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#35 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:22 PM

G1223, on Sep 6 2005, 09:04 AM, said:

OH but Kosh we have to vomit on Bush he is evil....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't want to vomit on him, I want to listen to him resigning from office.  Totally different thing.  

Nonny
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#36 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:22 PM

School Buses?

Two points;

1. From the pictures I saw the buses of which you speak where under water. AND the water hit fast once the levee broke there was just no time.

2. Do you have any idea how low the pay of a school bus driver is, who was going to see to the driverís families? Cops and firemen are a lot different and a whole hell of a lot better paid, and very often donít live in the community, where school bus drivers for the most part canít live out side the community. No there would have to been practices and a lot of them, for that Idea to fly. Practices the city, and the school; bus companies most likely couldnít have paid for. No given the resources needed it was DHS responsibility to come up with a mass transportation plan, the city would not have the resources or expertise to do so.
Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#37 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:25 PM

The navy ships that wer eon the scene need to have their facilities used.

Realtime satellites with Radar imagary could have been used to set priority areas.

The troops could have been told to shot and post the bodies of looters in public places to discourage the lawlessness. (Which is something the police could/should have done before the FEDS arrived)

While I suspect it has been done structual engineers could check out bridges across the mississippi to amke sure that the trains carrying heavy supplies could roll across without worries of surge damage to their foundations.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#38 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:30 PM

Zwolf666, on Sep 6 2005, 09:21 AM, said:

expressing
disgust
hatred
dislike
unhappiness
displeasure

or

looking for ways to
ridicule
judge
condemn
demonize
others?

***** Actually, I spend most of my time making the world safe for kittens and puppies, spreading joy and happiness, and watching re-runs of Combat!   But, I try to pencil in a few minutes each day for hatefulness and spite, just to try to keep up.  But I don't have to tell you that: you obviously understand how important such things are.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me, I prefer the demonize route, since it answers so well to the Golden Rule.  As a disabled American, I have been done unto, and well I know which fine, upstanding Christians have had the doing of it.  

Nonny
Posted Image

#39 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:31 PM

G1223, on Sep 6 2005, 10:04 AM, said:

OH but Kosh we have to vomit on Bush he is evil while the mayor and govenor are poor misled people unable to be actual leaders in their own rights.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

G, do you ever actually read comments or do you just begin typing and lashing out at everyone first?  

No one here is saying that the locals and State didn't contribute to this nightmare.  No ONE!!!!  They have their responsibility in this.

The TRUTH is [whether or not you want to admit it] that a catastrophe like this can only happen when ALL government agencies drop the ball.  Each dropped ball adds to the severity of a disaster and it begins to snowball.

It would be nice to point the finger and say, the Major did it, or the Governor did it, or the Fed's did it, but the truth is they ALL did it.  You can tell that by the size of the screw up.  Anyone who thinks differently is blinded by the party line and needs to wake up and smell the sewage.  They all dropped the ball.  

The Locals should have arranged not only transportation out of the city, but a destination for those who had no means to 'rent a motel'.  The governor should have stepped in and helped with the evacuation.  The Fed's should have at least allowed aide to enter the area.  I mean if the Fed's aren't going to be of any help, at least get the hell out of the way of aide that was able to get there.

And if you think it was OK for FEMA to turn aide away, then you are just plain wrong.  I'm as sick of hearing that we're all Bush bashing just because we question why people were left to die.  That's a legitimate question to ask.  If we don't ask it then we deserve to have this happen again.  In fact, we're charged as citizens to ask these questions.

These public servants serve us. Let me repeat that--THEY SERVE US. When they fail to serve, we have the right and the duty to ask questions.  If you can't stomach that then that is your problem.

Edited by Cait, 06 September 2005 - 12:34 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#40 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 12:32 PM

emsparks, on Sep 6 2005, 09:22 AM, said:

School Buses?

Two points;

1. From the pictures I saw the buses of which you speak where under water. AND the water hit fast once the levee broke there was just no time.

2. Do you have any idea how low the pay of a school bus driver is, who was going to see to the driverís families? Cops and firemen are a lot different and a whole hell of a lot better paid, and very often donít live in the community, where school bus drivers for the most part canít live out side the community. No there would have to been practices and a lot of them, for that Idea to fly. Practices the city, and the school; bus companies most likely couldnít have paid for. No given the resources needed it was DHS responsibility to come up with a mass transportation plan, the city would not have the resources or expertise to do so.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A fifteen year old boy stole one of the schoolbuses and drove himself and a bunch of others to safety.  

Nonny
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Human Expressions, Culture

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users