Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Katrina investigation

Katrina Top News 2005 Investigation

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Who should investigate the Katrina tragedy? (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Who should investigate the Katrina tragedy?

1. A Congressional Committee. (8 votes [24.24%])

Percentage of vote: 24.24%

2. An Independent Prosecutor. (24 votes [72.73%])

Percentage of vote: 72.73%

3. The Department Of Justice. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. The Executive Branch, The Office of the President. (1 votes [3.03%])

Percentage of vote: 3.03%

5. No investigation is necessary. (0 votes [0.00%])

6. The State of Louisiana. (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 02:24 PM

I just thought I'd ask...
Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#2 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 02:28 PM

I'm okay with a Congressional investigation, but I chose Independent Prosecutor because an IP can hand down indictments where warranted.
Posted Image

#3 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 02:30 PM

I should have been able to vote for a Congressional Committee. It's a measure of my lack of confidence in our government--both parties-- that I chose Independent Prosecutor instead.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#4 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 02:49 PM

^^^
There is an old saying:
“Slap me in my face once shame on you, Slap me in my face twice shame on me.”

Edited by emsparks, 06 September 2005 - 02:49 PM.

Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#5 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:24 PM

Almost identical to Spectacles.

And I wear glasses too.

Hmmmm...

#6 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:29 PM

Independent.  If it was Congressional, I'd fear there'd be too many hands-washing-the-other, y'know.   One side may be better than the other, but they're all dirty.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#7 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:30 PM

IP...

Bush has already demonstrated that he is not impartial.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that don’t even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#8 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:39 PM

I should also add that all this is moot if the IP or Commission is given a deliberately restricted mandate, e.g. the 9/11 Commission.  The last thing in the world I want is for the IP to be told only to investigate FEMA, or the Commission to be allowed to investigate only local malfeasance.

#9 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:51 PM

I voted A Congressional Committee,  but after reading all of this, if the IP can be limited by the government on what it can investigate, then there isn't much use in an investigation at all.

But it should be investigated. Local, state and federal should all be investigated. State and Local for having a plan and ignoring it, and federal for dragging their heels.
Can't Touch This!!

#10 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 06:38 PM

Well, y'all can rest easy now.  President Bush has declared that he personally shall oversee an investigation into the disaster of the disaster management.

Conflict of interest?  What on earth do you mean?

#11 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:21 PM

Definitly not the prez.

He's the guy that needs to be investigated.

The buck stops here.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#12 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 08:29 PM

well there absolutely must be an investigation (not Now, but later), the breakdown and irresponsibility demands it, but this case does not fit a prosecutor because I say this is not about charges, but about replacing people and changing organization to make things work; maybe Fema going in Homeland worked on paper, so much of Wash. doings is 'on paper', but it seems that reality taught the lesson on this one... more after ...
the White House as a viable option would make me laugh and cry, because of the core purpose of the investigation... same with LA capital because senior officials could also be a focus ........
a congressional committee is the only real way for this case .....

Really, before names can be named, it must first be determined,
1- what things happen, specifically and exactly, in what order and where, how, when, by whom, requests? approvals? action-orders? >> lifting off pads and racing out gates >>
then 2- what specifically didn't happen, what order or approval wasn't given, which delay specifically ....... I heard today that's it's possible the gov. declared emergency thinking that's all that's needed but then supplies were requested, help for supply and material and money but no request for evac, so Feds thought evac was all by the local? That kind of thing ........ really determine, what should, then what didn't, then trace to whom ..... >> THEN you can name names.

a congressional committee might could do that (sorry, jus HAD to get that lil southronism in there!)
:D
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#13 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 11:23 PM

Zwolf666, on Sep 6 2005, 03:29 PM, said:

Independent.  If it was Congressional, I'd fear there'd be too many hands-washing-the-other, y'know.   One side may be better than the other, but they're all dirty.

Cheers,

Zwolf

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. Which is why I also voted for Independent. Although I'm concerned that Congress, or the President, will try and influence any Independent with political favours, ect...
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#14 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:52 PM

An independent prosecutor is probably best...
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, Top News 2005, Investigation

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users