• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:39 AM

We all know the situation in New Orleans is very bad.  It's both heartrending and horrifying, and lots to go with that. :(  :(

But in addition to the major tragedy there, I see something else:  the state that actually had the hurricane tear right up through it has taken somewhat of a backseat.  The news is mostly focusing on the New Orleans area, for a variety of legitimate reasons.

I just don't want people to forget that Mississippi got hit really hard as well.  From what I've heard about the coastal areas....it's very bad.  We watched part of the track on TWC, and the Katrina's eye pretty much cut a path right through the state, IIRC.

This isn't meant as a complaint about the New Orleans coverage, just a reminder Mississippi is hurting too. :(

Mississippians Overshadowed

A Glimpse of Katrina

And also....we have a board member from Mississippi who has not been on the board since the day of landfall; it's Dizaster Overkill.  Does anyone know if he is okay?  :unsure:

Does anyone know about the situation in Gallman?  That is where he lists as his location.  He had mentioned that he thought they might lost power, and that might be the problem.  Anyway, if anyone knows, please post in the check-in thread in the Beach or here.  Thanks.  

Peridot

#2 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 12:14 PM

Yep.  Alabama got slammed, too.  Nothing to compare with New Orleans, just because the loss of life is less, but as far as property damage goes, there are whole towns in Mississippi which simply don't exist right now.  And there are a lot of people who are still homeless and hungry and not able to get anywhere.  Oddly, I don't see the people who want to cast the blame for the poor disaster response at the local level mentioning Mississippi or 'Bama much.  Probably because we have Republican governors and that'd be counterproductive to their agenda.

If anybody'd like a slightly-used Haley Barbour, however, we'll be glad to give 'im to ya.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#3 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for posting this.

Mississippians are suffering and wondering what took the cavalry so long to get there, too.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#4 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 06:54 PM

As I mentioned previously, scuttlebutt is that MS will actually get reconstruction funds before Alabama or Louisiana due to strong Republican ties, primarily Lott's influence in the Senate.  Haven't heard anything about that in a day or so, though, so treat as nothing more than rumor for now.

#5 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 10:23 PM

Peridot, on Sep 7 2005, 08:39 AM, said:

And also....we have a board member from Mississippi who has not been on the board since the day of landfall; it's Dizaster Overkill.  Does anyone know if he is okay?  :unsure:

Does anyone know about the situation in Gallman?  That is where he lists as his location.  He had mentioned that he thought they might lost power, and that might be the problem.  Anyway, if anyone knows, please post in the check-in thread in the Beach or here.  Thanks. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't think I had tears left.  Does anybody know?  I sure hope that all he's lost is power, and that he checks in soon.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, Top News 2005, Mississippi

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users