• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:05 PM

Jid, on Sep 7 2005, 11:08 PM, said:

Personally, I wouldn't take any poll that claims the interviews of 609 people is a good sample size for an accurate assessment of the feelings of a nation of 300 million seriously...

But I'm just naturally skeptical of statistics. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me too.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#62 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:17 PM

I have a question: if FEMA is such a shell of it's former self, why haven't I heard any criticism of their efforts in last year's storms? If there was, I sure as hell don't remember hearing it.

********* Only because I don't talk about personal problems here much.  My parents have rental property in Florida.  They had a house that got smashed by Ivan, and they are still trying to get $9,000 out of FEMA.  They were supposed to pay back some fees for bulldozing the rubble of the house (it was totalled, but luckily they got enough for the lot to buy two houses on the mainland), and it's been over a year now and still nothing from FEMA.   And one of my mom's best friends even works for 'em!

If you go drive around in Pensacola, you can see signs painted on people's houses complaining about FEMA and State Farm.   There's a lot of black humor built into it.  I saw a lot of that when I was helping my parents pick out new houses.  FEMA is a mess.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#63 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:18 PM

HubcapDave, on Sep 8 2005, 03:59 PM, said:

To be fair to RuReddy, he does have a point that while there is blame to spread around to all levels of government, the people on this board have been quite meticulous in chronicling errors made by the feds, not so much on the local and state level.

While I don't think that people around here are rising to Randi Rhoads level of absurdity in their criticism, the bias prevalent in this forum does show rather clearly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point.

So for those who are ridiculing those of us who are so 'hateful' to the Feds...where are those errors?

You know there was the fact that the Governor of Louisiana did not evacuate the Prison...that was stupid.

They should have been a little more aggresive with the elderly within the city before it hit.

But afterwards when the overwhelming complexities of the disaster hits the locals-that's why the feds need to be there.  They should be fresh and alert and not exhausted like the locals are.  You could see the pure panic in the local government officials faces by Monday evening, including Barbour of Mississippi.

Anyways...so were are the errors?  

And be aware when you give us those errors-we can come back with evidence (which thanks to Cait and Zack and a few others) that shows that it was in the lap of the feds.

Edited by Hibblette, 08 September 2005 - 06:21 PM.

"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#64 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:20 PM

Re:  FEMA's performance in the storms of 2004, is it churlish to suggest that FEMA's overwhelming response last year (with Bush personally handing out bags of ice to stricken homeowners), including making payments to people in Dade County 120 miles from where the hurricanes actually hit, had something to do with Florida's swing state status and 27 electoral votes in a Presidential election year?
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#65 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:23 PM

Re: criticism of FEMA last year--and the reorganization:

http://www.gainesvil...mplate=printart
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#66 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:23 PM

Was it Cait that mentioned how when storms went through Northern Louisiana Fema told them it wasn't enough damage.

Wasn't that last year?

Not sure.

#67 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:28 PM

MuseZack, on Sep 8 2005, 04:20 PM, said:

Re:  FEMA's performance in the storms of 2004, is it churlish to suggest that FEMA's overwhelming response last year (with Bush personally handing out bags of ice to stricken homeowners), including making payments to people in Dade County 120 miles from where the hurricanes actually hit, had something to do with Florida's swing state status and 27 electoral votes in a Presidential election year?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It certainly is bad taste, and off topic for the thread.

#68 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:30 PM

Zwolf666, on Sep 8 2005, 05:03 PM, said:

I'm glad you're not on my side...

It's not about sides, though. Dividing everything up into "Us" and "Them" and going after people who are "Them" takes attention away from the real problems. And it's not good manners in this forum either, Zwolff.

Everyone in the US is effected by this. There are no sides, or there shouldn't be. The fact there are, even in the middle of a natural disaster, is a vivid example of what's wrong with America today.

People on both sides need to look at the hurricane and it's aftermath objectively, which means being as nonpartisan as possible. (Which doesn't mean that one can't criticize Bush, but he should be criticized for his mistakes and not just because he's the leader of team "Them." And it also doesn't mean deflecting blame away from the Feds onto any other possible target.) Anything else is just going to be tuned out as static by the majority of Americans who don't lean one way or another. I think that's why so many people in the US don't seem to understand what's going on anymore - they don't know who to believe.

#69 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:33 PM

HubcapDave, on Sep 8 2005, 11:28 PM, said:

MuseZack, on Sep 8 2005, 04:20 PM, said:

Re:  FEMA's performance in the storms of 2004, is it churlish to suggest that FEMA's overwhelming response last year (with Bush personally handing out bags of ice to stricken homeowners), including making payments to people in Dade County 120 miles from where the hurricanes actually hit, had something to do with Florida's swing state status and 27 electoral votes in a Presidential election year?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, it's pretty much a direct answer to your question.  And even the Miami Herald noted the poll boost Bush enjoyed after the overwhelming FEMA response to Florida's 2004 hurricanes.

From the Sept. 24th Herald:

Hurricanes Charley, Frances and Ivan may count as some of the biggest political contributors to President Bush's reelection campaign, according to a poll.
The post-hurricane survey shows Bush surging ahead of his Democratic challenger by 49 to 41 percent -- an about-face from August, when Bush trailed Sen. John Kerry 41-47 percent, Quinnipiac University reported Thursday.

''The ill winds of the hurricanes have blown some political goodwill for President Bush,'' said Clay F. Richards, a pollster for the independent Connecticut university.

''You can't underestimate the impact of a president coming down and promising all this federal aid to people who need it,'' said Richards, noting that Bush toured hurricane-ravaged parts of Florida three times.

"It's like Rudy Giuliani at ground zero on 9/11. The commander in chief is there, on the ground, saying help is on the way.''

"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#70 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:33 PM

It's not about sides, though. Dividing everything up into "Us" and "Them" and going after people who are "Them" takes attention away from the real problems. And it's not good manners in this forum either, Zwolff.

********* True.   I'm just finding it hard to have patience with the guy after what he said a couple days ago, so I'm not at my best behavior where he's concerned.  Not that that's an excuse...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#71 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:12 PM

Zwolf666, on Sep 8 2005, 11:17 PM, said:

********* Only because I don't talk about personal problems here much.  My parents have rental property in Florida.  They had a house that got smashed by Ivan, and they are still trying to get $9,000 out of FEMA.  They were supposed to pay back some fees for bulldozing the rubble of the house (it was totalled, but luckily they got enough for the lot to buy two houses on the mainland), and it's been over a year now and still nothing from FEMA.   And one of my mom's best friends even works for 'em!

That's funny, because FEMA was paying out right and left to other people...

...including those not in hurricane-affected areas.

FEMA is a mess.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think "mess" is quite the word to use.  "FEMA has become an organized system of graft" might be more accurate...

#72 Nonprofit

Nonprofit
  • Islander
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 03:23 PM

MuseZack Posted Sep 8 2005, 06:33 PM

QUOTE(HubcapDave @ Sep 8 2005, 11:28 PM)

QUOTE(MuseZack @ Sep 8 2005, 04:20 PM)

Actually, it's pretty much a direct answer to your question. And even the Miami Herald noted the poll boost Bush enjoyed after the overwhelming FEMA response to Florida's 2004 hurricanes.

From the Sept. 24th Herald:

Hurricanes Charley, Frances and Ivan may count as some of the biggest political contributors to President Bush's reelection campaign, according to a poll.
The post-hurricane survey shows Bush surging ahead of his Democratic challenger by 49 to 41 percent -- an about-face from August, when Bush trailed Sen. John Kerry 41-47 percent, Quinnipiac University reported Thursday.

''The ill winds of the hurricanes have blown some political goodwill for President Bush,'' said Clay F. Richards, a pollster for the independent Connecticut university.

''You can't underestimate the impact of a president coming down and promising all this federal aid to people who need it,'' said Richards, noting that Bush toured hurricane-ravaged parts of Florida three times.

"It's like Rudy Giuliani at ground zero on 9/11. The commander in chief is there, on the ground, saying help is on the way.''

Muse Zack,  do you have a link for this article from the Miami Herald? Is it the complete article or just snip-snip  of it? You know your suppose to give links when posting articles, you have been told before.
RuReddy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Top News 2005, Katrina, Bush, Gov't failures, CNN/Gallup poll

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users