Natural Disasters Aide to US

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 07:52 PM

Besides is it selfish beyond belief and I would like to think we are better than the UN who pulled this very stance on US during the Tsunami Relief.

The fact that the UN is not pulling to help Us out more is very telling as well.

But hey, what do I know...

I do not expect more when a gift is given...
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#22 FnlPrblm

FnlPrblm
  • Administrator
  • 12,479 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:45 PM

mjtian, on Sep 10 2005, 01:31 PM, said:

Did you see what Kuwait and South Korea donated?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope, but I saw what Sri Lanka did and WOW!  $25 mil. to the Red Cross because of it.  Sri Lanka is poor as heck, but have recieved a lot in the past.  So it is nice to see them helping out in a big way.

Thanks to everyone!  This includes places like the Bahamas who sent $50,000 or Jamaica who can't afford anything but still sends out their best wishes.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Beryl Coronet

The Boscombe Valley Mystery: "There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact."

"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." --- Ralph Waldo Emerson 'Art,' 1841

"Such welcome and unwelcome things at once, 'Tis hard to reconcile." --- Macbeth IV.III.138-9

LauraBertram.net

"Once in one's life, for one mortal moment, one must make a grab for immortality; if not, one has not lived." -- Sylvester Stallone

Time to eat all your words, swallow your pride, open your eyes...Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears4Fears

#23 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:58 PM

Actually I think the amount for Sri Lanka was incorrectly reported. Elsewhere I saw $25,000 which is still significant in light of their experience with the tsunami. They don't have much but they're still willing to give some of it to us.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#24 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:43 AM

Regardless of the amount/kind of help, I am absolutely moved by all offers. I teared up at the sight of the Mexican Army rolling towards New Orleans. Whoever would have thought it....It's a measure of the magnitude of the damage. So, the catastrophe itself is a humbling thing, and so are all offers of help.

Edited by Spectacles, 11 September 2005 - 06:44 AM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#25 SparkyCola

SparkyCola

Bye

• Islander
  • 14,903 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 12:00 PM

mjtian- it is not a competition. Instead of criticising the relatively 'small' amount of help given by some, why don't you praise the generosity of others? You're saying X gave a normal amount, Y are tight, who's to say Y didn't give a normal amount and X isn't just very generous?

May I point out that aside from all the prior warning you guys had, compared with the sudden tsunami- the tsunami was in third world countries. America- is the richest nation IN THE WORLD. Giving money to the richest nation in the world, who one would have thought would have some kind of plan of action to deal with this thing, having built a huge city ON A SWAMP...well perhaps let's just say some countries might think you could deal with the MONETARY aspects by yourself, and it's the man-power and equipment you need, which are more important now.

I cannot believe your comment about 'did they lose a whole city? I don't think so' - to summarise how I perceived the comment anyway - because America is the richest country in the world, and NO THEY DIDN'T have millions of people devastated...but then...since you're so keen on RELATIVITY perhaps you should look at in IN SOME KIND OF SCALE.

If you're not happy about the amount of money Japan is sending you, why don't you just drop a bomb or two on them and wipe out their country...actually nah, it's not very original.

And their was me thinking that when you give countries protection it is down to a moral duty, not a tactical advantage. I guess South Korea *should* be sucking up to the US then, you're right. maybe you can blackmail them or something who knows....or maybe-- MAYBE 'the sun doesn't give light to the moon assuming the moon's gonna owe it one.' to quote Linken Park. Ah...I guess I'm so naive. I can't seem to process the logistics of it all in my head. you give them protection...from bad guys...because...they can't protect themselves? Because i guess they don't have as much money as you. So you're criticising them for not giving you enough money now, because they should owe you since you're protecting them. But you're protecting them because they don't have the money to do it themselves...Please, no seriously now- gimme a freakin break.

I've heard the US has been criticising France for not giving enough aid.

People give what they can.

IT IS NOT A COMPETITION.

It seems to me the ones giving the least are your own government. Why aren't you complaining about them? We responded immediately with aid (UK I'm talking about btw) and I'm pleased we are helping as much as we can to the superpower, but if you started to criticise how much WE were giving, you'd really be walking on thin ice with the UK public to say the least.

There seem to have been disaster after disaster, the UK have just come out of the London bombings, many countries are still recovering from either the big Tsunami, or their own sets of typhoons, I'd like to see you research exactly the financial logistics of one of the 'tight' countries to see what they have had to fork out on recently because i believe that, being all human, WE ALL GIVE WHAT WE CAN.

Oh um - just to clarify, on behalf of the UK- we do not owe you one. We, the UK, do not owe the US, ANYTHING. And thank god we don't all take the past into account with these things, or the world would end up like Ireland and Israel.

Frankly- who are you to say Taiwan should send more money?

You didn't like it when the UN criticised the amount of money that you sent to the Tsunami...so I guess the saying is true. The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history.

Sparky

Edited by SparkyCola, 11 September 2005 - 12:02 PM.

Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#26 mjtian

mjtian
  • Islander
  • 897 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 12:24 PM

Sparky

I've never said this was a competiton, so please refrain from putting words in my mouth.  Being in medical school, I do not have the time to compare every statistic or what each nation is contributing to the Katrina efforts.  What I said is simply from my initial glance that several wealthy nations are not extending as much help considering they are allies of the united states.  From your tone and your observations, it is pretty obvious to me that you are not from the U.S. and you have not seen all the devastations that I am seeing daily here.  The city of New Orleans was flooded from the breach of the levee systems.  It is something that was not expected.  People had 2 days to evacuate and they did not forsee this type of damage.  Yes, many were able to escape.  The ones that were left behind were the poorest of the poor, the sickest of the sick.  If you have no sympathy for those that were left behind, I suggest you recheck your conscience.  

Yes, America is a wealthy as a whole and we are the lone "super power" in the world.  Let me repeat myself, the folks that are devastated are mostly the poor and elderly.  

If you're not happy about the amount of money Japan is sending you, why don't you just drop a bomb or two on them and wipe out their country...actually nah, it's not very original.

This quote shows how childish and irrational you are.  I question why I should even waste anytime responding to your madness.  It is obvious that you need to refresh your history lessions and learn why the United States dropped those bombs on Japan to end the second world war.  The atrocities that the Japanese Empire did all over Asia caused 10 times the damage and suffering that those 2 atomic bombs did.  Being British, you should appreciate all the help that the U.S. sent during the second world war to defend your homeland.  

Its called Freedom of Speach.  Its something that is my Consititutional Right here in America.  Perhaps you need to read up on that as well.
"I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot... and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why... I succeed" -Michael Jordan

#27 War Admiral

War Admiral

Defender of the Nifty

• Islander
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 03:23 PM

This quote shows how childish and irrational you are.  I question why I should even waste anytime responding to your madness.  It is obvious that you need to refresh your history lessions and learn why the United States dropped those bombs on Japan to end the second world war.  The atrocities that the Japanese Empire did all over Asia caused 10 times the damage and suffering that those 2 atomic bombs did.  Being British, you should appreciate all the help that the U.S. sent during the second world war to defend your homeland.  

*Raises finger* Actually, he kind of has a point. We did bomb the snot out of them, and the fact that their helping us at all shows that they don't harbor any ill will.

Edited by War Admiral, 11 September 2005 - 03:24 PM.

War Admiral out of Man O' War by Brush Up

Ichiro Suzuki, 259 hits, you gotta love this guy. Sodo Mojo!

#28 Enkephalen

Enkephalen

Peekaboo Poster

• Islander
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 03:57 PM

Any donation, large or small, is welcomed.  Any offers of aid or help is  welcomed.  The gift is in the giving.  As an American, I am grateful for any assistance any one, or any country, has to give.
Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.

#29 SparkyCola

SparkyCola

Bye

• Islander
  • 14,903 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:28 PM

she, but thanks ^ :)

Actually, i didn't say i had no sympathy for those caught up in the hurricane- so please refrain from putting words into my mouth. And if you could minimise the condescension I would be much obliged  :)

Lest my point was not made- when I said it's not a competition, i didn't quote you or say that you said it, I merely said it in response to my perception of you making how much money countries give you into a competition.

I do apologise about my tone, I didn't mean to offend, it's just that my initial reaction to your posts was to be somewhat irked. I don't know if you can understand where i'm coming from though...I know the devastation was absolutely awful, and I really do feel the utmost sympathy for all those devastated by it.  :(  

The city of New Orleans was flooded from the breach of the levee systems. It is something that was not expected. People had 2 days to evacuate and they did not forsee this type of damage.

You are absolutely right. I apologise, I didn't take note of the levees and that people would assume they would be enough to keep them safe.

Yes, many were able to escape. The ones that were left behind were the poorest of the poor, the sickest of the sick.

Yes, America is a wealthy as a whole and we are the lone "super power" in the world. Let me repeat myself, the folks that are devastated are mostly the poor and elderly.†

So those not in need are the rich and healthy? Then perhaps what you need is a Robin Hood since your government doesn't seem to be 'rechecking it's conscience'.

This quote shows how childish and irrational you are. I question why I should even waste anytime responding to your madness.

No, no, don't hold back- say what you really think  ;)

Being British, you should appreciate all the help that the U.S. sent during the second world war to defend your homeland.

Oh I do you're my heroes  :love:  [/sarcasm] -but um, just- don't get me started on that topic ok?  :Oo:

Its called Freedom of Speach. Its something that is my Consititutional Right here in America. Perhaps you need to read up on that as well.

Why would I ever read up on that  :eh:  Unless I moved to America, which is unlikely. But that aside, you are in America, my point is over there in Taiwan. Uh- wait- no...ya missed it.  :dontgetit: Why don't you pop to Taiwan and ask an average Taiwanese bloke why he isn't giving you MORE MONEY DAMNIT!!! after ALL you've done for them *shakes head* it REALLY is JUST shocking. shocking i say. Mind you, I'm assuming you know for sure that the government is as rich as you claim the people are, ask a politician.

[/sarcasm]

Sorry... :blush: But no, what I said before still stands. Perhaps you should try answering all my points.  :eh: I don't really wanna make the same ones twice.

Let me see if I can explain a different way though, why do you think it is that when you put a crappy 10p in a charity collection tin, they smile and say thank you? 10p!! Sheesh, wait a sec make that 10 cents, but still- that's rubbish! TINY- MINUTE compared with how much you could donate, and it's bound to be a worthy cause. The person holding the tin, COULD turn around and say 'clearly you've never seen someone dying of cancer' or 'I guess you haven't been there to watch a parent abusing their child every day for years on end' but no- they say thank you, you might even get a freakin sticker. Every little helps, and there are 2 main reasons you gave that 10 cents. 1) because if everyone (every country) chips in, that charity will have plenty and 2) there are a LOT of good causes out there, and a lot of natural disasters too. You can't keep on giving a massive load of money to each and every one. If only one could.   :pout:

Sparky

Edited by SparkyCola, 11 September 2005 - 04:35 PM.

#30 SparkyCola

SparkyCola

Bye

• Islander
  • 14,903 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:29 PM

Oh and to add- isn't it America who is so proudly AGAINST hand-outs?

#31 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,473 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:19 PM

mjtian said:

The city of New Orleans was flooded from the breach of the levee systems. It is something that was not expected.

I take issue with that. Anyone familiar with the region knew that there could be a levee break in addition to a major storm -- so the politicians who claimed that "no one knew" anything like that could happen are clueless. Hello, build a city below sea level, and it wants to be water. Tell me how that could be "not expected"?

Oh, and I see why mjtian assumed SparkyCola was "he" -- because we have an emsparks here who calls himself Sparky.

Re: freedom of speech...

SparkyCola said:

Why would I ever read up on that

Oh, I don't know -- perhaps to familiarize yourself with why Americans talk openly the way we do? It might help you to understand why we're such a pain online. ;)
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#32 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:41 PM

90,000 miles of devastation.  My heartfelt thanks to every country that has extended their help and their sympathy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Aide to US

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users