18 replies to this topic

#1 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:07 PM

http://www.nytimes.c...artner=homepage

The Missouri attorney general, Jay Nixon, filed a lawsuit this afternoon against InternetDonations.org, the hub for a constellation of Web sites erected over the last several days purporting to collect donations for victims of Hurricane Katrina.

Also named in the lawsuit, Mr. Nixon said, is the apparent operator of the donation sites, Frank Weltner, a St. Louis resident and radio talk show personality with ties to neo-Nazi organizations and the notorious Web site JewWatch.com.

The Missouri lawsuit seeks to freeze the assets of Internet Donations Inc., a nonprofit entity registered with the Missouri secretary of state's office by Mr. Weltner on Sept. 2, and to shut down the dozen or so Web sites with names like KatrinaFamilies.com, Katrina-Donations.com and NewOrleansCharities.com.

"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#2 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:34 PM

slagging parasites, nuke the site

eBay is also actively pursuing those who are trying to make money off the catastrophe

#3 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 07 September 2005 - 11:40 PM

I honestly don't understand some people. People who try and make money from something like this are right down there with child molestors in my book.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#4 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 06:44 AM

In situations like these, it's usually best to give to the Red Cross or other existing charities. When donating to online charities, avoid the ones that end in ".com", since those are set up as businesses. Legitimate charities are generally set up as ".org".

#5 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 07:10 AM

the red cross is catching flack for the large percentage of money donated to them that goes for their own operating expenses, rather than to the charity.

Plus there was that whole mess with the Liberty fund from a few years ago. Personally, I wouldn't donate money to them.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#6 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 10:58 AM

always some evil people out there doing this stuff in a catastrophe of some kind!

I'm with D;Monix, NUKE EM!
Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

#7 Nick

Nick

• Islander
  • 7,130 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 10:59 AM

Broph, on Sep 8 2005, 07:44 AM, said:

In situations like these, it's usually best to give to the Red Cross or other existing charities. When donating to online charities, avoid the ones that end in ".com", since those are set up as businesses. Legitimate charities are generally set up as ".org".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^It doesn't matter.  These days ".com" ".org" and whatnot are largely meaningless.  Anybody can get a .org web address.  (of course .mil, .gov, and .edu are a bit tougher . . .)

-Nick

#8 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 11:10 AM

Godeskian, on Sep 8 2005, 07:10 AM, said:

the red cross is catching flack for the large percentage of money donated to them that goes for their own operating expenses, rather than to the charity.

Plus there was that whole mess with the Liberty fund from a few years ago. Personally, I wouldn't donate money to them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Neither would I. Not after the way they handled that fund for the 9-11 familiy's victims.

And Bush going on TV and saying: "Don't donate food and water, Donate cash..." just makes me very suspicious.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#9 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 12:58 PM

Nick, on Sep 8 2005, 03:59 PM, said:

^It doesn't matter.  These days ".com" ".org" and whatnot are largely meaningless.  Anybody can get a .org web address.  (of course .mil, .gov, and .edu are a bit tougher . . .)

-Nick

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're still more likely to be dealing with a charity at a ".org" than if you use a ".com". While non-charities might use the ".org", most legitimate charities won't use ".com". That's the difference.

#10 darthsikle

darthsikle
  • Dead account
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 01:40 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Sep 8 2005, 04:10 PM, said:

And Bush going on TV and saying: "Don't donate food and water, Donate cash..." just makes me very suspicious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Halliburton must be behind it
Goodbye.

#11 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 05:36 PM

darthsikle, on Sep 8 2005, 01:40 PM, said:

LORD of the SWORD, on Sep 8 2005, 04:10 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Halliburton must be behind it

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know about all that...but it just struck me as suspicious that they ONLY want CASH...not food and water and other necessities.

#12 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 08:24 PM

There is a cool logical answer for that one LotS- they can buy in bulk and get incredible price deals, if they have the funds- their combined buying power is simply enormous- and they know what is needed, where our giving of items is often hit or miss.  Also there are a lot of supplies that they uses that are just not things people think to donate.

and oh a good freind of mine is the one who first researched this fraud, then collected the evidence, and later hand carried the affadavit and the evidence to to Jay Nixon yesterday afternoon. He's interning with the MOAG, and is proud as can be of the part he's played in exposing this fraud.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#13 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 08 September 2005 - 09:17 PM

1) Economies of scale.  As is periodically noted, that's the reason supermarkets like people buying food for homeless/poor/food drives: buying singly is horrifically inefficient.

2) Logistics.  It's really freakin' easy to transfer money around nowadays.  It's really freakin' hard to transfer items like food and clothing, especially without some serious quality control at both ends.

#14 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:31 AM

Shalamar, on Sep 8 2005, 08:24 PM, said:

There is a cool logical answer for that one LotS- they can buy in bulk and get incredible price deals, if they have the funds- their combined buying power is simply enormous- and they know what is needed, where our giving of items is often hit or miss.  Also there are a lot of supplies that they uses that are just not things people think to donate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point. But, since we don't KNOW what it costs them to buy the items...there is no way to tell if they are making a profitt on it or not.

#15 Aurelius

Aurelius

Master of the Empire

• Islander
  • 803 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 05:58 PM

People who try to profit off something as devastating as Hurricane Katrina are scum, pure and simple and deserve nothing better than to be treated like it. Hanging is too good for them.

Aurelius
"If I had all the answers, I'd run for God"
Cpl. Max Klinger, M*A*S*H

#16 D'Monix

D'Monix
  • Islander
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 12:14 AM

according to CNN there are more than 2100 katrina-related sites now, and srping up faster than providers and the FBI can have them taken out.  the FBI have looked at more than 800 sites now, many of them bogus with connections in europe, asia, africa, south america, and the US.

Looks like scamming is an worldwide pasttime

#17 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 12:54 AM

they want cash because they have to spend extra money to deliver the stuff.  with cash they can just buy what is needed.

part of the reason i won't give to the Salvation Army but instead send stuff to a friend that was affected in the area.  i've heard the SA wants some kind of fee to sterilize the clothes donated for the hurricane victims.  forget it.

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#18 Enkephalen

Enkephalen

Peekaboo Poster

• Islander
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 03:45 PM

A local group in my area wanted to raise money by having a haircut marathon with people donating money.  They called the local Red Cross and asked about them sending a representative to accept the cash donations for the Katrina victims, but the local Red Cross said they weren't accepting any more money for the victims of the hurricane.  United Way stepped in and will be accepting the donations.  I wonder if the Red Cross didn't want to accept the funds because they were specifically earmarked for Katrina victims and not for the general fund for the Red Cross so they could use the money anyway they see fit.  It doesn't make sense to me as the people will need aid for a very long time to come.  But hey, what do I know. :ermm:

Edited by Enkephalen, 11 September 2005 - 03:45 PM.

Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear.

#19 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:38 PM

LotS says:

Good point. But, since we don't KNOW what it costs them to buy the items...there is no way to tell if they are making a profitt on it or not.

Yes you do Lots- all you have to do is look and see if they are a registered non profit organization. If they are then by law - and the IRS ( which is an even greater threat LOL ) they can not make a profit. Yes they can make operating expenses and salaries, and I believe can 'hold' onto money for things like specifically intended building funds and such, but they can not make a profit.

Having worked for a nonprofit organization, as the Office Manager, I got an initmate look at what nonprofits have to go through to prove stuff to the IRS - it's ...daunting to say the least.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, Charity scams

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users