• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:39 AM

As pointed out in this piece at the TPMCafe site, the Democrats, led by Joe Lieberman, spent a grand total of 42 minutes lobbing softball questions at Michael Brown before he was installed as deputy director (later promoted to head) of FEMA.

http://www.tpmcafe.c...9/8/234553/9235

So much for the Senate's advise and consent function.  And now Lieberman wants to investigate FEMA's failures?  Even those of us who think this was largely a federal screw up should support an investigation that takes a hard look at everything, including the spineless Democrats looking the other way while FEMA was stocked with incompetent cronies and its disaster response function was systematically eroded.  Nobody should get a pass on this.

Edited by MuseZack, 09 September 2005 - 10:42 AM.

"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#2 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:42 AM

^

Careful, I criticized a public official and got a warning for it.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#3 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:43 AM

LORD of the SWORD, on Sep 9 2005, 03:42 PM, said:

^

Careful, I criticized a public official and got a warning for it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I edited the "idiot" out of the title to be safe.  Thanks.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#4 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:45 AM

heck yea.

You know if the democrats would just listen.

See Lieberman was more worried about kids playing Grand Theft auto.

I know - that was sarcastic.

I just wish he and Hill would stop worrying about silly things-like being everybody's parent. :wideeyed:
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#5 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,654 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:16 AM

LotS, you issued an implied death threat to a public figure (disclaimers notwithstanding.)  That's why you got a warning.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#6 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:20 PM

The Dems have been in a damned if they do/damned if they don't position...They raise a stink about appointments and they are called "petty and obstructionist". If they DON'T raise a stink they're called "spineless, enablers". I agree though that I'm personally sick to death of them ALL preening for the cameras on NON issues while things they are SUPOSED to be doing aren't getting done.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:28 PM

Lin731, on Sep 9 2005, 12:20 PM, said:

The Dems have been in a damned if they do/damned if they don't position...They raise a stink about appointments and they are called "petty and obstructionist". If they DON'T raise a stink they're called "spineless, enablers". I agree though that I'm personally sick to death of them ALL preening for the cameras on NON issues while things they are SUPOSED to be doing aren't getting done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed.

Sure it would look good now if Lieberman had gave some hard hitting questions back during the appointment.

But Reality...

Would it have stopped his appointment?

No  :glare:
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#8 Dev F

Dev F

Straighten your pope hat!

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 01:09 PM

Lin731, on Sep 9 2005, 12:20 PM, said:

The Dems have been in a damned if they do/damned if they don't position...They raise a stink about appointments and they are called "petty and obstructionist". If they DON'T raise a stink they're called "spineless, enablers".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about they do whatever is right and necessary, and let people call them what they may?

And yeah, that might seem like a starry-eyed dream, but I think recent events have shown that it would've actually been the politically smart way to go. Things do come out in the wash, and if more Democrats had stood up to the administration back when it would've been a gutsy thing to do, they would be in a much stronger position now that Bush's decisions are meeting with such strong popular displeasure. Whereas slamming Bush now after giving him a pass for so long seems like just more craven pandering.

#9 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 01:17 PM

And yeah, that might seem like a starry-eyed dream, but I think recent events have shown that it would've actually been the politically smart way to go. Things do come out in the wash, and if more Democrats had stood up to the administration back when it would've been a gutsy thing to do, they would be in a much stronger position now that Bush's decisions are meeting with such strong popular displeasure. Whereas slamming Bush now after giving him a pass for so long seems like just more craven pandering.

That would require the population as a whole to bother paying attention to anything that goes on BEFORE it's too late. Yes the Dems could have and should have put up more of a fight. No doubt they'd have been smeared for it as they have every other time and no doubt Brown still would have been confirmed (as was Bolton), so in the end, what difference would it have made? Did they have the votes to block him? NO.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 01:36 PM

I was born into a republican household. In to her eighties my mother was a republican ward worker.

Largely because of that I have been a registered democrat.

Democrats in congress? You mean republican light.

There hasnít been anything resembling a democrat any where near Washington, since that Dixie-Crate LBJ was in the White House.
Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#11 Dev F

Dev F

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 01:41 PM

Lin731, on Sep 9 2005, 01:17 PM, said:

That would require the population as a whole to bother paying attention to anything that goes on BEFORE it's too late.
No, precisely the opposite -- it depends on the fact that people don't pay attention to politics until things get really bad, so in the long run it doesn't matter whether the Dems get smeared for being obstructionists, as long as they can say "I told you so!" when people finally do take notice.

#12 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 02:02 PM

Dev,
how do you force people to pay attention? You can't make them. The only time you can REALLY get America's attention is when something of this scale occurs. Let's be honest here, the "news" by and large isn't the news anymore, it's about drawing viewers and what do viewers want? They want sex scandals, televised wars, smarmy campaign ads, simplitic jingistic answers to complex problems.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 02:06 PM

Cardie, on Sep 9 2005, 11:16 AM, said:

LotS, you issued an implied death threat to a public figure (disclaimers notwithstanding.)  That's why you got a warning.

Cardie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would you like me to show you the difference in what I wrote and an ACTUAL threat!? I'm not responsible for what people assume from my words. And you know what happens when you assume things.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#14 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 02:27 PM

Lin731 said:

Dev,
how do you force people to pay attention? You can't make them. The only time you can REALLY get America's attention is when something of this scale occurs. Let's be honest here, the "news" by and large isn't the news anymore, it's about drawing viewers and what do viewers want? They want sex scandals, televised wars, smarmy campaign ads, simplitic jingistic answers to complex problems.

I don't know. To a large extent this sort of thing might be like a self fulfilling prophesy. If people got a different kind of news with more information content, they might find that they liked it.

Sorry about the slight derail there.
Per aspera ad astra

#15 Dev F

Dev F

• Islander
  • 3,757 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 02:51 PM

Lin731, on Sep 9 2005, 02:02 PM, said:

Dev,
how do you force people to pay attention? You can't make them. The only time you can REALLY get America's attention is when something of this scale occurs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, yes, of course. I don't know how many different ways I can say that this is exactly my point.

In other words, it isn't futile to take a stand when the country isn't paying attention, not because you can force them to pay attention somehow, but because eventually something like this will happen that will force them to pay attention -- and then the fact that you took a stand becomes very important, in retrospect.

#16 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 03:02 PM

Dev: but because eventually something like this will happen that will force them to pay attention -- and then the fact that you took a stand becomes very important, in retrospect.

Yep. Truth eventually comes to light and all that's been hidden becomes evident in all its ugliness.

Frankly, I'm so disgusted with politicians across-the-board in this country that I'm tempted to vote against any incumbent. Of course, that only means that a new crop will come in and be quickly corrupted, if they aren't already corrupt to begin with.

We need campaign finance reform--real campaign finance reform. We need to take advertising out of political discourse and have candidates engage in many genuine public debates. And we (the people) need to pay attention. I'm liable to slap the next person who is shameless enough to say "politics is so borin'" Yes, politics can be awfully boring when you're trying to teach yourself enough economics and world affairs to follow the conversation, but if we're content to vote for the best liars, we have representatives who don't really give a damn about public safety and general welfare, not if it pays more for them to shift allocations to their corporate sponsors and vote-producing special interest groups....

Argh!

Lieberman can kiss my butt. In fact, a long, bipartisan line can form behind Lieberman.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#17 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:18 PM

The problem with Politics is that it always comes down to the lesser of 2 evils...

Sad but true.

If there was a strong, Credible independant, I'd back him in a heart beat.

As it is, Dean has lost my vote.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#18 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:33 PM

I used to kinda like Lieberman - I considered him pretty reasonable and moderate in many ways, although I disagreed with him on several issues - but if he helped herd that Brownie goof through the gate, then he's an idjit.

Oh well... I've had a hard time taking Lieberman seriously ever since Jon Stewart's eerie impersonation of him.  Lieberman was caving under some dumb thing, and Jon Stewart came back from the clip, turned his mouth down, sighed deeply, spread his hands, and said, "Whatcha gonna do?"  Sounded just like Lieberman, and ever since then whenever I see him that's the first thing that pops into my head and I start laughing at him.  At least now I don't have to worry that I'm being unfair to the guy when I laugh... :)

"Ah, well, Brownie's completely unqualified and has padded his resume, but... *sigh*... whatcha gonna do?"

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#19 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:49 PM

As Mark Schmitt notes, the problem is that Brown lied on his resume, it's that even if he'd done all the things he'd claimed he was still unqualified for the job.

#20 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 09:22 PM

As long as the republicans keep their stand against the goodness of the heart I'm agin 'em.

An independent-you vote for them-you are voting for these heartless wonders we have in power now.

No matter how well they stand.

Sorry-this is from years of standing against the Dem's because of their ways.

And look what we have now.

It always boils down to who we the people vote for.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, FEMA

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users