• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#21 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:09 PM

Anyone speaking up now could say that they're getting letters and such from their constituents, to whom they are supposed to be responsible and protective of, which indicate that they would like some responsibility shown in the government.

But the only people who might come out of this completely clean, thanks to all the information we can find (thank you, Internet!) about, well, almost anything, are those who did what they really could to stop this from happening, such as voting against Brown, voting against FEMA being moved to Homeland Security (I don't even know if that was up to Congress at all!), voting for funds that would have allowed more levee construction, etc.

Or, of course, the American public can just go back to sleep until the next election and everyone comes out clean.  It's up to us.... we the people.  We can stop participating in true democracy however much we want, we can become as apathetic as we want, but sooner or later, we have to make a real decision as to whether to participate.
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, FEMA

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users