#1 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:36 PM

Vice Admiral.

My Father just heard this.

"You did a good job Brownie." :blush:
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#2 enTranced

enTranced

Chasing Your Starlight!

• Islander
  • 15,772 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:40 PM

From the CNN website banner :

FEMA director Michael Brown being sent back to Washington; Homeland Security Director Chertoff to announce new leader for on-the-ground Katrina relief efforts, senior administration official tells CNN. Details soon.

Doesn't look like he has lost his job.....yet.

enTranced
Posted Image

#3 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:42 PM

http://seattletimes....director09.html

Here's one story!

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#4 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:43 PM

Hmmm...my brother watches Fox News :p  :sarcasm: and that's probably were he heard this.

My mom heard it to.

Hmmmm
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#5 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:44 PM

He probably won't lose his job, you know how Bush hates to axe his appointments (even when they deserve it). This move is straight up damage control...remove the source of complaints and hope that satisfies people enough where he doesn't have to fire him and people in the course of months forget how ineptly he ran FEMA.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:45 PM

Very possible.

But still ...

The damage control is in full swing.

#7 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:50 PM

CNN is reporting that;
Coast guard Chief of Staff, Vice Adm. Thad Allen has been assigned to take over for FEMA Director Michael Brown, for operations in New Orleans.

CNN unedited close caption transcript, on Fri Sep 09 13:18:40 2005, said:

Numbers of democrats and republicans speaking out. Mike brown has been, his background, his resume, what he's been doing to respond to hurricane katrina, I think it's fair to say he's definitely been under fire.

Dilemma for the white house, how do you abandon somebody who is becoming controversial, whose qualifications are in question, without appearing like the president is abandoning him. You learn to read if no comments from the white house press secretary scott mclelan who just
recently had a briefing within the last 15 minutes and repeatedly would make no comment about the fate of michael brown, except and when he was talking about the operations and response to hurricane katrina, he would always talk in terms of the secretary of homeland security michael chertoff. Would not bring up brown's name at all. So that gives credibility to the report that michael brown is going to be taken at least out of the visible role in the response to katrina and brought back to washington. And his role taken up down there by the admiral where he will be very, very visible, in the hopes here that the controversy over brown subsides a little bit. I would suspect the democrats are going to continue to tee off on him and continue to raise the questions that have been raised by politicians and media reports about the qualifications of those who are in the hierarchy of fema and in the entire response of this administration and this government, particularly with all the preparations and billions of dollars that have been spent since september 11th. So don't expect this controversy to subside but, of course, we can expect that michael brown becomes a heck of a lot less visible.

What type of communications will take place between mike brown in washington, D.C. And the admiral on the ground in mississippi, louisiana, alabama?

is to say very little, but the true answer to your question is, is I have no idea what so over. We can only -- only judge an appearance here that is that mike brown is being removed from being such a visible figure here. Whether this means that he in washington will still have an important function as if response to katrina develops or whether this is just an effort to try and finesse this bad situation. We'll find out. We'll find out over the months, the years, whether michael brown continues to have the support and position as the head of the federal emergency management
agent I.

White house. Thanks so much.

break, we'll talk with simon in new orleans.

that is out of the area in new orleans. And also eefrs mississippi and alabama, going back to
washington, D.C. Vice admiral thad allen, chief of staff U.S. Coast guard in. He will be taking care of all of operations now, heading all operations in the effected areas since hurricane katrina. We're following all angles of this story right now as we were first to tell you about this change. It's going to take place, we expect to hear the formal announcement by the head of department of homeland security michael chertoff about 1:45 eastern time. We're going to bring that to you  live, as soon as he steps up to the microphone. Meanwhile we want to take you  now to dan simon on the ground in new orleans. Before we get to the latest from there, dan, any reaction from anybody that you've been able to talk to since we first got word about this?

No way yet to measure how new orleans residents will receive this news. One thing I can tell you is they obviously did not hide their display sure of how this operation was con durgted at first. Whether or not the admiral taking over gives them moral boost, sense of confidence, remains to be seen.

Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#8 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 12:52 PM

Lin731, on Sep 9 2005, 05:44 PM, said:

He probably won't lose his job, you know how Bush hates to axe his appointments (even when they deserve it). This move is straight up damage control...remove the source of complaints and hope that satisfies people enough where he doesn't have to fire him and people in the course of months forget how ineptly he ran FEMA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bush will probably reward Brownie with a Presidential Medal of Freedom next year.   :lol:
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#9 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 01:22 PM

As I said to Anarch when he said the same thing, sarcasm not apprieciated and if such a thing happens you can pretty much name your favor from me.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#10 Peridot

Peridot

Elf Lynx

• Islander
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:00 PM

What it looks like from this article is that Brown is being recalled to Washington; what happens next is still a guess.

Brown Off Katrina Relief

Wherever the chips fall on that, I'd say getting someone from the Coast Guard in there to replace Brown on the scene is a darn good idea.

Peridot

#11 Anarch

Anarch
  • Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 04:39 PM

tennyson, on Sep 9 2005, 06:22 PM, said:

As I said to Anarch when he said the same thing, sarcasm not apprieciated...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is there any particular reason you find that "sarcasm" -- and it's only tenuously one -- offensive, tennyson?  Because I'm frankly having a hard time seeing why you're getting in such a snit over this.

Re Brown, rumor is that he had been planning to leave FEMA after all.  Uh-huh.  Yup.  As Kevin Drum notes, clearly Katrina just focussed his mind.

#12 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 05:34 PM

Hers was milder than yours I will admit but I am trying to be as consistent about this as I can. I don't consider it a snit since I've expressed no anger over it and my comment partly a pop culture quote as well but to really get into it in a more general sense I don't like sarcasm in any form and I'm quite serious in that you can name your favor if any sort of presidental freedom medal happens(It can't be money since I currently have pocket change and that's about it). You may notice its virtual absense from my own posting as well as any sort of nicknames for anyone or anything, shortening of titles of things or people or in other ways expressing what I consider overfamilarity or belittling of any grouping. It may come across as dry and humorless but this is how I interact with the world.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

#13 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 09:59 PM

Lin731, on Sep 9 2005, 06:44 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was interpreting it as Brown falling on his proverbial sword to save the President and everyone else the responsibility... but, yeah, damage control.

Oh, how much I would enjoy seeing the American public prove that one guy at the federal level, however much of a leadership position he held, leaving/being fired/whatever is NOT, in fact, adequate damage control and we would very much like accountability for something that appears to have a larger scope than Watergate.  (I wasn't around then, so feel free to correct me.)

And it's good that someone else is taking over--so long as that is, in fact, what actually happens.
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#14 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:35 PM

Wow, this is consistent:

http://news.yahoo.co...rina_washington

Or maybe it is consistent.

In any case... can't believe it; the keeping him on for FEMA, not the dumping him for Katrina relief.  The latter I'm fine with.

And Brown's saying he's been made a scapegoat by the press.  Wow, yeah.  Don't accept a top position unless you're ready to take responsibility; it means taking the crap along with the praise.
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#15 Call Me Robin

Call Me Robin

red-haired and proud

• Islander
  • 970 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:33 PM

Perhaps they're planning to demote Brownie to mail clerk?  :lol:
Of all the varieties of virtues, liberalism is the most beloved.
--Aristotle

The fanatic is not really a stickler to principle. He embraces a cause not primarily because of its justness or holiness but because of his desperate need for something to hold onto.
--Eric Hoffer

#16 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:44 AM

^There's a seat on the Supreme Court.

:alien:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, FEMA, Brown resigns

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users