Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 05:49 PM

waterpanther, on Sep 11 2005, 05:31 PM, said:

You're welcome. ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Waterpanther, others may be impressed by your singular wit and dodgy humor.  I've looked back across your posts, and all I see is someone who likes to make grandiose claims and can't back them up.

You started by slamming the Libertarian party by demonstrating an amazingly shallow understanding of its principles and its members.  I challenged you on this.  You couldn't back it up.

You then fell into your theory of how the contemporary US resembles the latter stages of the Roman Empire, all the while touting yourself as some sort of expert on ancient European history.  I carefully pulled apart each of your claims while you made feeble attempts to refute each of my points.  In the end, you attempted to categorize Bush as unfit because he had a drinking problem at one time.  Your insinuations as to his leadership ability based upon his past drinking come off as nothing more than the same tiresome old Bush Hatred Syndrome.

Now, if you want to play the smug junior high class clown by claiming I've accomplished nothing, then whatever.  I try to maintain a level of civility here but I would, however, invite you to try those games at Troll Kingdom...where people hang out who would whip your a$$ and make you cry.  If you're so sure of your views, this shouldn't be a problem for you.

In short, put up or shut up.

Edited by CoyoteUgly, 11 September 2005 - 05:50 PM.

The Future...Unless Things Change.

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made?A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

#143 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 05:51 PM

Lin731, on Sep 11 2005, 04:27 PM, said:

Nah. I've punched enough holes in your theory.

It sounded good on the surface though. Not bad thinking on your part.

You did? Hmmm, we must have missed it.... ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Then you should pay attention.  That helps. ;)

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made?A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

#144 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:02 PM

Waterpanther, others may be impressed by your singular wit and dodgy humor. I've looked back across your posts, and all I see is someone who likes to make grandiose claims and can't back them up.

You started by slamming the Libertarian party by demonstrating an amazingly shallow understanding of its principles and its members. I challenged you on this. You couldn't back it up.

You then fell into your theory of how the contemporary US resembles the latter stages of the Roman Empire, all the while touting yourself as some sort of expert on ancient European history. I carefully pulled apart each of your claims while you made feeble attempts to refute each of my points. In the end, you attempted to categorize Bush as unfit because he had a drinking problem at one time. Your insinuations as to his leadership ability based upon his past drinking come off as nothing more than the same tiresome old Bush Hatred Syndrome.

Now, if you want to play the smug junior high class clown by claiming I've accomplished nothing, then whatever. I try to maintain a level of civility here but I would, however, invite you to try those games at Troll Kingdom...where people hang out who would whip your a$$ and make you cry. If you're so sure of your views, this shouldn't be a problem for you.

In short, put up or shut up.

Thanks for the prime example of magical thinking.  :lol:
Posted Image

#145 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:07 PM

waterpanther, on Sep 11 2005, 06:02 PM, said:

Thanks for the prime example of magical thinking.  :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't give you one.  You simply are unable to admit that your theories are shallow and not worth the time it took to type them out.  It's not my fault you can't grasp reality.

I'm practicing magical thinking?  Sonny boy, you're about as unrealistic as they come.

#146 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:09 PM

Oh, go beat your chest at the zoo, sweetie.  It might work for you there.   :lol:
Posted Image

#147 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:15 PM

waterpanther, on Sep 11 2005, 06:09 PM, said:

Oh, go beat your chest at the zoo, sweetie.  It might work for you there.   :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can descend to personal jibes all you want.  It makes no difference.  Your arguments are flawed, and will continue to be flawed so long as you wrap them around your own personal agendas.

And quite honestly, if statements like you made above are really all you have, I don't feel so bad for you.

#148 Shalamar

Shalamar

Last Star to the Left and Straight on till Morning

• Forever Missed
  • 17,644 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:21 PM

Gentlemen, please it's about the topic of the thread not the other posters.

I'm not a mod here, but seriously both of you seem- to me- to be getting rather personal.
The three most important R's
Respect for One's Self / Respect for Others / Responsibility for One's Words & Actions.

Posted Image

#149 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:23 PM

^What she says.  Shal your tone it down is most welcome.  

Moderator’s Helmet On
I suggest everyone consider their statements.  Some statements in this thread are getting way off the topic of talking about the thread and into the topic of attacking each other.  Waterpanther and CoyoteUgly expect to receive further communication from the staff on the matter.
Moderator’s Helmet Off
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

#150 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:27 PM

Well, let's be honest about this: when a person comes in and postulates a historiographical theory...albeit an interesting one...and someone takes the time to carefully refute it...THEN the original poster acts as if absolutely nothing happened and additionally insults the refuter...I'm not in a charitable mood.

You want to ban me or something from the OT?  Whatever...I'll stand in line behind the others.

#151 waterpanther

waterpanther
  • Islander
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:31 PM

I'll stand down as a gentlewoman should, CJ.  I'm sorry to see CU doesn't appreciate the rescue.   ;)
Posted Image

#152 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:59 PM

Godeskian, on Sep 11 2005, 12:20 AM, said:

waterpanther, on Sep 11 2005, 12:25 AM, said:

There are American military recruiters in Juarez and Tijuana and Matamoros as we speak, promising green cards and citizenship to young men who sign up.
I asked about this a few years ago, when I came across a note in a story about an american law, that says that when you fight under the US flag, you become a US citizen.

I found it a very interesting notion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's true.  US military recruiters find the promise of citizenship quite a draw.  One of the guys in my shop was Filipino, joined up for the American Dream.  Married a blonde, had a couple kids.  Before 1973, he had to travel in uniform, of course, and back then the standard terrorism suspect was a brown guy in a military uniform with a blonde on his arm, so he was always getting hassled.  But he took it in stride.  Very laid back, was Manny.  :)  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#153 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 11:29 PM

CoyoteUgly, on Sep 10 2005, 09:43 PM, said:

Nonny, on Sep 11 2005, 12:12 AM, said:

CoyoteUgly, on Sep 10 2005, 08:22 PM, said:

Nonny, on Sep 10 2005, 11:19 PM, said:

CoyoteUgly, on Sep 10 2005, 03:56 PM, said:

GWB made it into the White House because:

a) The Republican party nominated him
b) A majority...slim but nonetheless...elected him...and...
c) the Democrats threw up Al Gore as an opponent...to a populace that was sick of Democratic administration and anyone that even smelled like Clinton.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Two outa three ain't bad.  :rolleyes:  

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I'm sorry.  3 out of 3.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Two.  The majority didn't rule, the Supreme Court did.  

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, we're both wrong.  He got the electoral vote after gaining a slim margin of votes in Florida.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not quite.  You're forgetting the peculiarities of the Florida voting system.  

Godeskian, on Sep 11 2005, 12:29 AM, said:

CoyoteUgly, on Sep 11 2005, 06:43 AM, said:

Actually, we're both wrong.  He got the electoral vote after gaining a slim margin of votes in Florida.
Take what you read in Wikipedia with a grain or salt. Because it's entire content is user edited, it, much like the Hitchikers guide to the galaxy, contains much which is apocryphal or just plain wrong.

i'm not saying that's the case here, but I wouldn't rely solely on Wikipedia for anything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And in this instance, playing fast and loose with the truth.  

Nonny
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#154 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 11:43 PM

Speaking of Brownie's bogus credentials, I cheered when I heard the news that he'd been fired, but that's not quite right, is it?  He got yanked from this relief effort, but is back in DC preparing to FUBAR the next one, right?  And even if he's kept there with nothing to do, he still gets paid, huh?  

Talk about a bargain with the devil.  :devil:   :suspect:  

Has anybody else heard the "Heck of a Job" song yet?  If I find the link, I'll post it.  :ninjadeath:

Nonny
Posted Image

#155 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:22 PM

Nonny, on Sep 11 2005, 11:29 PM, said:

CoyoteUgly, on Sep 10 2005, 09:43 PM, said:

Nonny, on Sep 11 2005, 12:12 AM, said:

CoyoteUgly, on Sep 10 2005, 08:22 PM, said:

Nonny, on Sep 10 2005, 11:19 PM, said:

CoyoteUgly, on Sep 10 2005, 03:56 PM, said:

GWB made it into the White House because:

a) The Republican party nominated him
b) A majority...slim but nonetheless...elected him...and...
c) the Democrats threw up Al Gore as an opponent...to a populace that was sick of Democratic administration and anyone that even smelled like Clinton.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Two outa three ain't bad.  :rolleyes:  

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I'm sorry.  3 out of 3.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Two.  The majority didn't rule, the Supreme Court did.  

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, we're both wrong.  He got the electoral vote after gaining a slim margin of votes in Florida.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not quite.  You're forgetting the peculiarities of the Florida voting system.  

Godeskian, on Sep 11 2005, 12:29 AM, said:

CoyoteUgly, on Sep 11 2005, 06:43 AM, said:

Actually, we're both wrong.  He got the electoral vote after gaining a slim margin of votes in Florida.
Take what you read in Wikipedia with a grain or salt. Because it's entire content is user edited, it, much like the Hitchikers guide to the galaxy, contains much which is apocryphal or just plain wrong.

i'm not saying that's the case here, but I wouldn't rely solely on Wikipedia for anything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And in this instance, playing fast and loose with the truth.  

Nonny

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

MY GOD! You don't mean...the Conspiracy ™ has reached...wikipedia!

Is nothing sacred?  :sarcasm:

#156 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:24 PM

CoyoteUgly, on Sep 12 2005, 07:22 PM, said:

Is nothing sacred?  :sarcasm:

In Wikipedia one must assume that not only is nothing sacred, but nothing is sacriligious either. :p~

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#157 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:36 PM

Godeskian, on Sep 12 2005, 10:24 AM, said:

In Wikipedia one must assume that not only is nothing sacred, but nothing is sacriligious either. :p~

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:  Works for me.  :hehe:  

Nonny
Posted Image

#158 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:37 PM

QueenTiye, on Sep 9 2005, 12:14 PM, said:

This isn't a "so what, he lied" situation!  Why are people accepting that as any kind of response?

How about "so what, the surgeon lied about having gone to medical school?"  The man took a job as head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency without actual qualifications to do the job - or so I'm reading.  That means inherently - to serve his own career ends, he was willing to be in a position which could have DIRECT impact on lives - while knowing he was underqualified to do that job.

This has NOTHING to do with Bill Clinton claiming not to have had sex with Monica Lewinski.  It isn't similar in any way.  This has to do with someone willing to endanger the lives of others for his own gain.

QT

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. He ought to be charged with some kind of manslaughter, since a lot of people died because he lied on his resume. It's not as though he's an actor lying about dance lessons or something - he lied about his ability to head the largest emergency response organization in the world.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#159 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:45 PM

Godeskian, on Sep 12 2005, 01:24 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh no...not having that.  If the satanic conspiracy headed by George W. "evil magnetic deathrays from my eyes" Bush has reached wikipedia, then it's time for resolute action.

#160 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:49 PM

CoyoteUgly, on Sep 12 2005, 07:45 PM, said:

Godeskian, on Sep 12 2005, 01:24 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh no...not having that.  If the satanic conspiracy headed by George W. "evil magnetic deathrays from my eyes" Bush has reached wikipedia, then it's time for resolute action.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Conspiracy headed by bush? Hells bells, no. This is your good old fashioned pranksters conspiring on Wikipedia.

Why else would John C Mcginley's entry have once been deleted and replaced by the text. 'Dr Cox is in da house'

Edited by Godeskian, 12 September 2005 - 01:51 PM.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, Bush Administration, FEMA, Brown

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users