• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:18 PM

Here's the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9273033/

OK, so due to public outcry, and the uncovering of the fact that Brown lied to get his job, and his now relieved of Katrina duties...now, out of the blue, FEMA ends a program that would give aide, quickly, to those that need it.

Sorry, to me this just seems like FEMA's pissed about Brown's being relieved and is now deciding to strike back.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#2 mjtian

mjtian
  • Islander
  • 897 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:21 PM

This is what happens when you have inexperienced people trying to tell others what to do!  You end up with a mess and embarrassement.
"I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot... and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why... I succeed" -Michael Jordan

#3 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:30 PM

Well, I wasn't in favor of the Debit Card thing, it was a nightmare waiting to happen, but I am even less in favor of the "Direct Deposit" replacement plan. I'll bet some of these people don't have bank accounts.  They are poor.  Poor people tend to live pay check to pay check, so there's no reason to put money in a bank.. and have bank charges for an account.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#4 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:31 PM

Yahoo just posted that too, although it's largely about, ahem, Brown.

http://news.yahoo.co...rina_washington
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#5 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:28 PM

Cait, on Sep 9 2005, 10:30 PM, said:

Well, I wasn't in favor of the Debit Card thing, it was a nightmare waiting to happen, but I am even less in favor of the "Direct Deposit" replacement plan. I'll bet some of these people don't have bank accounts.  They are poor.  Poor people tend to live pay check to pay check, so there's no reason to put money in a bank.. and have bank charges for an account.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was in favor of the debit card program...to help the victims get back on their feet, as a start.

The whole direct deposit idea is absurd, and lengthy. And the mere fact that they are suspending the debit card program after Brown is replaced concerning Katrina just smacks of spite to me.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#6 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 12:45 AM

I think the suspension of the program came about because of the problems in trying to implement it.  Good idea, just not real workable with this amount of people and the extent of individual loss.  

However, the deposits in individual bank accounts is highly problematic as well.  As pointed out, many of those people are not going to have bank accounts.  Is there any mention on the FEMA site on how people without a bank account are to receive their share of disaster relief?

Are banks giving people lacking in jos, identification/documentation, and/or a permanent residence a bank account?

The loss of personal documentation and identification is going to be a big problem for many evacuees.  Is there an effort to get these people replacements?

#7 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 05:49 AM

The direct deposit idea does have its problems as many don't have bank accounts...currently.

I do know that banks in Texas are working on suspending some of the requirements they have to open an account now...in order to make it easier for folks to open an account.

I'll have to go look up a link to the article where I read that

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#8 eryn

eryn

So, a baby seal walks into a club...

• Islander
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:00 AM

I heard on the news the other night that the program was shut down due to high fraud risks.
If you watch the news and don't like it, then this is your counter program to the news.
Jon Stewart

My Flickr

#9 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 11:15 AM

eryn, on Sep 10 2005, 10:00 AM, said:

I heard on the news the other night that the program was shut down due to high fraud risks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can understand that concern, but surely they have ways of finding out who is a victim and who isn't.

#10 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 03:15 AM

I read some place where the people applying for aid had to provide identification and the address where they lived so it can be verified that they are who they say they are and are in the predicament they are in because of the hurricane.  I'm wondering how many people got out of there with their identification intact.  If the majority of people didn't leave because they didn't have cars, then I wonder if they had drivers' licenses.  Perhaps they had some sort of state accepted identification card.  If so, I wonder how many of them had current addresses on that ID.  I'm always wondering.

#11 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 08:24 AM

And where did it leave the people that took the warnings seriously and evacuated to areas other than Texas?

High and dry with an inefficent computer or phone system as their only means of recourse.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#12 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:45 PM

LORD of the SWORD, on Sep 9 2005, 08:28 PM, said:

Cait, on Sep 9 2005, 10:30 PM, said:

Well, I wasn't in favor of the Debit Card thing, it was a nightmare waiting to happen, but I am even less in favor of the "Direct Deposit" replacement plan. I'll bet some of these people don't have bank accounts.† They are poor.† Poor people tend to live pay check to pay check, so there's no reason to put money in a bank.. and have bank charges for an account.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was in favor of the debit card program...to help the victims get back on their feet, as a start.

The whole direct deposit idea is absurd, and lengthy. And the mere fact that they are suspending the debit card program after Brown is replaced concerning Katrina just smacks of spite to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Never mind that for most of these people, their local bank branch is..um..under water.  :crazy:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#13 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:53 PM

The only people getting the debit cards were those in the Astrodome.  

Do you really think that the people picked off of rooftops thought ahead to bring their ID?  There is going to be a lot of identification fraud if much is offered to evacuees.  People fraudulantly claimed to have loved ones lost in 9-11 to get the payouts offered to families, and I have no doubt that people will pretend to be New Orleans Evacuees if it gets them something special.  
Not that this should be reason to not offer anything, just that it will be very hard to offer much fairly.

***Is easily distracted***

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, FEMA, Debit cards

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users