[url]http://www.terradail...lution-05y.html[/ur]
Posted Image

#2 Zaugur Anasazi

Zaugur Anasazi

Defensor Selenae.

• Islander
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 05:00 AM

Damn,it does not work.I took the courage to post it all.

Sickness Spreads Among Hurricane Holdouts
by Patrick Moser
Chalmette, Louisiana (AFP) Sep 08, 2005

An old man wanders in the flooded waters of Gov. Nicholls street 08 September 2005 in New Orleans, Lousiana. Sickness is reportedly spreading among residents refusing to leave their homes in the Hurricane Katrina disaster zone. AFP photo by Omar Torres.
by Patrick Moser
Chalmette, Louisiana (AFP) Sep 08, 2005
Sickness is spreading among residents refusing to leave their homes in the Hurricane Katrina disaster zone, a top police officer in one of the worst hit areas said Thursday.
As police and troops pursued their efforts to persuade people to leave, Chief Deputy Sheriff Anthony Fernandez said "some have blisters, the colour of their skin is changing" in the St Bernard's Parish his forces are patrolling.

Health experts have also issued strong warnings to the thousands of people who could soon face mandatory expulsion from New Orleans and neighbouring districts.

Five evacuees are reported to have died after coming in contact with a water-borne bacteria, vibrio vulnificus. There have also been widespread outbreaks of diarrhoea in many shelters for storm refugees.

Pointing to the stinking black flood water that remains in the streets, he said "this is becoming methane".

St Bernard's is where about 30 people were found dead, mainly from heat and dehydration, at the St. Rita's nursing home, according to media reports.

Fernandez said about 1,000 people were feared to have died and about 1,000 were believed to be still in their homes in St Bernard's, an eastern suburb of New Orleans with about 70,000 people, and one of the zones worst hit by the August 29 super-storm.

"Maybe it goes up to 1,000, but that is an estimate," he said of the death toll.

Kenneth Iserson, an Arizona doctor leading a disaster medical assistance team based in a St Bernard's office block, said he had treated relief workers and inhabitants.

"We just treated a man who had been in his house since the hurricane. He was severely dehydrated. He may have breakdown of some muscles," said Isersen.

The doctor said the man was probably too weak to move in his house and was only "more or less conscious".

He said doctors were most worried about the spread of hepatitis and tetanus and were encouraging people to be vaccinated.

According to Fernandez, police and coast guard crews had rescued about 10,000 people from their homes since the August 29 hurricane, which is feared to have killed thousands along the US Gulf Coast.

He said those remaining would have to leave. "It will be a forceable evacuation, not that we will use force but it will be mandatory."

Fernandez also pleaded with federal authorities to pay his officers' salaries as the sales tax that the city relies on for wages had run out. He said the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) was only paying for overtime expenses.

The 350 strong force had lost about 100 officers since the storm. The 250 left were living on two commandeered Mississippi river boats. Police officers had evacuated their families but could no longer afford to pay hotel bills, said the chief deputy.

Battalion Chief Frank Rommal, who is part of a police and fire department task force from Maryland, said the group had been told "this entire parish will be demolished".

Rommal spoke as the task force went through a mobile home community that two days ago was under 1.0-1.3 metres (three-four feet) of water.

They smashed in doors looking for survivors and bodies.

They mark each house with orange spray paint. "We mark a 'v' if there is a victim and an 'h' if there is hazard such as rats, snakes, propane or alligators," he said. "We are concerned about mosquitoes and the health risk they pose. The biological issues are significant."

By TerraDaily
Posted Image

#3 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 06:35 AM

Here ya go, Zaugur:

http://www.terradail...lution-05y.html

(The board automatically converts urls to links. You just have to paste them and magic happens. :) )

Thanks for this information--alarming as it is.

I've heard that some rescue workers have actually received chemical burns from the water, and a photographer who fell in was immediately rushed into decontamination.

Amazing. Usually worse-case scenarios are pooh-poohed as the dire imaginings of pointy-headed types. Sadly, this time they got it all too right: New Orleans and the surrounding area turned into a bowl of toxic soup.

:(
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#4 Zaugur Anasazi

Zaugur Anasazi

Defensor Selenae.

• Islander
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 09:49 AM

Thanks! :)
Posted Image

#5 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:16 PM

Another thing to consider, where are they pumping all that water to?

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#6 offworlder

offworlder

pls don't kick offworlders, we can find a place too

• Islander
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:46 PM

(tiny break from USOpen seeing Agassi try to stay alive in the fourth, FedExpress and Hewitt coming up after)
my understanding is that it pumps to L Ponchartrain(sp?) ... so that shore will be some kind of cesspool now, just how do they treat such an area to disinfect and decontaminate?
:(
"(Do you read what they say online?) I check out all these scandalous rumours about me and Elijah Wood having beautiful sex with each other ... (are they true?) About Elijah and me being boyfriend and boyfriend? Absolutely true. We've been together for about nine years. I wooed him. No I just like a lot of stuff - I like that someone says one thing and it becomes fact. It's kind of fun." --Dominic Monaghan in a phone interview with Newsweek while buying DVDs at the store. :D

#7 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:51 PM

Well they could just leave it in the streets and treat it there.  It's just going to roll back into the lake this way the lake will not contaminated.

The water has to put somewhere if you are going to fix the city.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#8 Shoshana

Shoshana
  • Islander
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 02:26 PM

It's going into Lake P all right. Lake P is a saltwater lake - it's open to another lake to the east (and west too I think) but the pumped water goes eventually into the Gulf of Mexico. The volume of water being pumped is about 2 percent of the volume of Lake P - so it's getting pretty diluted.

#9 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 03:21 PM

Still the implications of it going into Lake P and further are staggering. Is a massive cleanup of the lake something that's going to happen in the future? Looking at the comparison between that and say the level of activity that occurs when just one tanker has a petroleum-related spill for instance, it's mind boggling.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#10 mjtian

mjtian
  • Islander
  • 897 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 03:24 PM

Another thing to consider, where are they pumping all that water to?

Into the Ocean and hopefully the toxins will get diluted to a level thats less harmful.
"I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot... and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why... I succeed" -Michael Jordan

#11 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,810 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 03:48 PM

offworlder, on Sep 10 2005, 11:46 AM, said:

(tiny break from USOpen seeing Agassi try to stay alive in the fourth...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[off toipic] and a big GO AGASSI!!!! What a finsih!!!  :o  :inlove:  :D [/end off topic]

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#12 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 04:26 PM

I saw some marine biologist interviewed on CNN, and he said there was a "100 per cent"  probability that Lake Pontchartrain was going to be poisoned. We're talking lead and mercury in addition to all kinds of awfulness. And if he's right, that's a damned shame because manatees had just returned to the lake in recent years--a measure of its recovery from pollution past.

Furthermore, he said that the contaminated water will then go into the Gulf, where it will promptly screw up the oyster beds and affect fishing in general.

I'm hoping this guy was talking outta his hat, but he seemed to be pretty credentialed.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#13 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 04:35 PM

That oil spill is definitely making things a lot worse.  I really don't know what they can do with it, though, other than putting it into Lake P or the ocean... neither of which are very attractive solutions, but are probably the only ones available.

Rock vs. hard place.  

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way
But I'm never talking to you again

I'm never talking to you again