Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Government response to disasters

Natural Disasters Government response 2005

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: If you were in a disaster zone would you trust the Government to help and protect you? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

If you were in a disaster zone would you trust the Government to help and protect you?

1. Yes, the Government will be there immediately. (1 votes [3.45%])

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

2. Yes, but not for survival. You have to wait until days, or weeks later, for help. (9 votes [31.03%])

Percentage of vote: 31.03%

3. No. (18 votes [62.07%])

Percentage of vote: 62.07%

4. Not sure. (1 votes [3.45%])

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,350 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 11:23 AM

Given the lack of Government aide, while people died, for four days after Katrina...And the mere fact that Brown is still head of FEMA, despite his lying on the job app...which would get anyone else fired, do you trust the Government to look after your health and well being in a disaster? Or do you think you'd be better off looking after yourself, and not trusting the Government to aide you until much later?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#2 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 11:37 AM

My confidence in the government has always been a little shakey. This disaster has completely toppled it. And the rapacious, no bid contracts for reconstruction are about to make me go toss some tea in Boston Harbor.

Edited by Spectacles, 10 September 2005 - 11:38 AM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#3 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,350 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 11:45 AM

I voted no. At this point I'm seriously thinking about purchasing a gun, just in case. Because, IMO, it has become crystal clear that the Government will not be there to help when push comes to shove.

Only thing is I know my own temper. And if I have access to a gun, and get pissed at someone, I'm liable to use it. That is the only reason I'm not sure about purchasing a gun.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#4 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 11:47 AM

nope, not yours or mine

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#5 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 12:05 PM

Only thing is I know my own temper. And if I have access to a gun, and get pissed at someone, I'm liable to use it. That is the only reason I'm not sure about purchasing a gun.

Buying a gun is a good thing... but, ya definitely better have a good leash on your temper.   I've got a couple of guns (and always keep meaning to buy bigger ones, but it's a lot of expense and hassle) and I've been in situations where I had to use 'em before.  Somebody tried to break into the house a couple of years back and I had to run around the yard after them at 4 a.m.  They were very good hiders so I didn't get off any shots, but I was perfectly willing to install a sunroof in their skull if they made me, or to  watch them lay face-down until the cops got there, whichever they chose.   A year or so later, a bunch of kids pulled up in front of my house, dropped one kid off, and he ran over, grabbed a can of gasoline that was by the lawnmower, and started running.  I could have grabbed the gun for that, but I grabbed a knife instead.  Guy had too much of a head start, though (I had to put shoes on) and I got out in time to see him getting picked up by his buddies on the highway.  

I talked to the cops about these incidents, and they said that the only time I might have been able to get away with shooting somebody was the first incident, because I might have been able to convince somebody I thought the people breaking into the house were trying to do me bodily harm.  If I'd shot the other kid over a can of gasoline, though, I'd've been in jail for it, no doubt.   I have a weird temperment, though - if I'm just arguing with somebody, I can lose my temper and start yelling, easily, but in a potentially physically violent situation, I get this weird calm.  Scared, sure, but not temper-driven.  So even if you blow your stack in some situations, it doesn't necessarily mean you'd haul off and deprive somebody of their hatrack.

If you do buy a gun, make sure to take courses for it, even if you know how to use it.  They're handy, but they can get you in big trouble if you're not careful...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#6 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:18 PM

I keep wondering are the feds to roll in using their star trek time travel methods to get there and save the day? Or maybe use phasers to boil way the waters as they transport the larger sections of it out to sea.

I live in the midwest. We have Tornados. You might of seen something about them. They tear up miles of houses and such. I see the local cops  county sheriffs and state troopers. These are the people who are right there and know what to do. FEMA usually comes in with in a few days and that usaully to help people after the disaster.

The federal government is not allowed to do certain things till the state asks for that help. Otherwise why have state governments or even local ones we can have Washington save the day.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#7 Hibblette

Hibblette
  • Islander
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:27 PM

Use to I did in cases such as natural disasters.

Now, nope.

There is no humanity in our current political atmosphere.
"There are many ways of going forward, but there is only one way of standing still."  FDR explaining why Liberals are so often divided and Conservatives are so often united.

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."  Will Rogers

#8 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 01:38 PM

I keep wondering are the feds to roll in using their star trek time travel methods to get there and save the day? Or maybe use phasers to boil way the waters as they transport the larger sections of it out to sea.

Maybe they needed to use the Star Trek time travel methods imployed by journalists, celebrities and average citizens to "save the day" as they managed to make it in to the Convention center and most of the city long before the Feds did. As for the use of phasers... they ought to have set it on "stun" last week and carted Brown off to the Federal "sickbay".

I live in the midwest. We have Tornados. You might of seen something about them. They tear up miles of houses and such. I see the local cops county sheriffs and state troopers. These are the people who are right there and know what to do. FEMA usually comes in with in a few days and that usaully to help people after the disaster.

I live in the midwest too and the worst tornado in my lifetime does not rate anywhere close to what happened in NOLA. That's like comparing the wave pool at Cedar point to a Tsunami...In a tornado, huge chunks of your state aren't completely destroyed, underwater etc...

The federal government is not allowed to do certain things till the state asks for that help. Otherwise why have state governments or even local ones we can have Washington save the day.

They DID ask for help, days before any started to arrive and FEMA (almost two weeks later) doesn't have it's act together. The Red Cross, local churches, charities and just Joe Blow average citizen are all doing a 100 percent better job than FEMA is. I'm hoping that will change with new leadership but I will NEVER trust or rely on the Feds for my saftey and welfare.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,456 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 01:17 AM

Do I trust politicians? No, not a chance. Hey, it's taken all these years since the 1989 7.1 earthquake for some of the damage to be fixed in San Francisco, while the more politically-acceptable (Republican) Southern California got some bad quake damage repaired much faster; do I have *any* reason to think that some big, benevolent government is going to rescue me? hee hee hee... :rolleyes:

Hibblette said:

There is no humanity in our current political atmosphere.

You're so right.
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#10 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 01:18 AM

Too many variables depending on

whether the disaster is natural or man made

the anticipation factor for natural or man made disaster
(i.e., earthquakes expected in California, hurricanes expected in coastal areas, terrorist attacks on major financial districts and military targets)

how many people and how large an area is affected

how much a person can reasonably be expected to do for themselves
(i.e., storm knocks out electricity in the area for hours, possibly days - citizens have batteries, flashlights, candles, generators, non-electric can openers, grills, ice chests)

I think it is unreasonable to expect any government entity to be at my side during or immediately after a disaster.  Considering the size and type of emergency, I might not even reasonably expect any government entity to be able to help me within a few days.  I think I can reasonably consider what emergency situations might apply to me - house fire, electricity outage, flooding, ice storm - and do what I can to help myself survive in such a circumstance and look to insurance policies and government for recovery efforts.

#11 Zaugur Anasazi

Zaugur Anasazi

Defensor Selenae.

• Islander
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:41 AM

Although i am not staying in USA,i must admit that i wouldn't trust the federal goverment.It failed in a terrible way and moreover it was surpassed by Cuba(!) who manage to save 1.5 million people and even their animals,not to mention that it was ready to sent 1.000 doctors to N.Orleans.
Posted Image

#12 SparkyCola

SparkyCola

Bye

• Islander
  • 14,903 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 04:50 PM

I didn't vote because I trust MY government, but if i lived in the USA I would vote no- i THINK but i didn't wanna vote cos i don't really think I have the right to, as I am only basing it on what I've seen of the APPARENTLY appalling responses to disasters over there, but I would never trust our press. I don't know if that makes any sense whatsoever lol, sorry. :dontgetit:

Btw I'm not saying our government is better than yours yada yada ya, Britain is way smaller and easier to handle, though I do believe we are (or so it seems) less prejudiced over here- when we do rescues- nothing else comes into it other than there's a person in need of help - let's go rescue them. Not -there's a person in need of help but they're poor elderly and black, let's walk the other way. That's what I've found most disturbing about what I've HEARD about Katrina- though like I say our press over here is so untrustworthy I wouldn't be surprised if it's not like that at all.

Sparky
Able to entertain a thought without taking it home to meet the parents

#13 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 05:54 PM

I don't trust the federal government to put my fat out of the fire in emergency situations like NOLA.
The Future...Unless Things Change.

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made? A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

#14 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 06:59 PM

I said not sure, I mean if somebody told you the your city would be under water in a day would you believe them? There's people in California who still build on fault lines or on mountain sides regardless of how dangerous it could be. Most of our recent disaster areas have been disaster areas in the past including New York, New Orleans and cities in Florida, Texas and California but we always rebuild and many times don't think twice about the danger so it happens again and again.  :eh:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#15 mack12345

mack12345
  • Islander
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 07:42 PM

I voted yes they would get there eventually. The federal government is a
huge lumbering animal that cannot get out of its own way. Once it gets rolling
however, it can do things in a big way.

Also, you have to get through all the local red tape. Can you imagine all the
hellraising there would be if they just rolled in and did what they wanted. This
is the price we pay for liveing in a democratic society.

Also the shear size of this catastrophy lent its own particular logistical problems.

#16 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 08:20 PM

Indianpolis is in the bottom of a Ice Age lake. I know it can be flooded and I would stay only if I had to wait for them to transfer dad to a place that was out of danger. But I live on high ground ( I know from local flash floods) but I would get my butt out of town as soon as I could.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#17 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,456 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:34 PM

DWF said:

There's people in California who still build on fault lines or on mountain sides regardless of how dangerous it could be.

I commented on earthquakes in my previous post -- but we have aging levees in this state, too. Some have broken in the past, with predictable results. It could happen again. So, California is just one big dangerous state...
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#18 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,135 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 11:51 PM

I voted no, but I would have preferred to vote no way in hell.  I learned my lesson about how much my government values me when I became disabled all those years ago.  :suspect:  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Natural Disasters, Government response, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users