Posted 11 September 2005 - 08:17 PM

Joanna Russ, "When It Changed."
Posted Image

#22 Avalon

Avalon
  • Islander
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 08:26 PM

^^^ AH!!!!  Thank you, that was driving me buggy!  No wonder I couldn't figure it out; it wasn't Tiptree/Sheldon after all.  (Now, to find a copy so I can reread it...)

#23 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 08:47 PM

One does need to read that article very carefully to see they are really talking about two different things. They have already stimulated ova to dividing up to a certain point but these ova are incapable of fully developing into viable infants. That's because they only have one half of the normal genetic material the combination of an egg and sperm would provide. The use of two ova, which would give a full set of genetic material, has been approved but not yet attempted.

As for cloning if you use an egg it's not cloning, since the single egg again has only half of the genetic material of the mother providing it. Cloning would be done with some other cell of the person cloned which has all of that material.
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#24 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 01:40 PM

Godeskian, on Sep 10 2005, 08:26 AM, said:

Heyhey,

Various newspapers reported yesterday and today that the Uk goverment has allowed a company to go ahead and create a viable In vitro child, using genetic material from two mothers, as opposed to a mother and a father.

As you might imagine, religious groups, various father support groups, and a whole bunch of anti-genetic engineering groups have gone absolutley nuts over this.

I will try and find a link to this and link it, but discussion welcome. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can see where a pair of lesbian moms might want a child who carries both of their genes, something they can't get if they do in vitro with some guy's sperm. Doesn't suprise me too much - as long as they're not closely related, it makes a kind of sense.
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#25 szhismine

szhismine

why must you hurt me in this way Harry...

• Islander
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 04:13 PM

hm...

this will probably become more popular/known in the next coming years, but i'm sure there are many women who prefer reproducing the usual way. ;) :lol: i hope men won't become "obselete", they might be a pain in the butt sometimes, but they have their merits. :)
Neville: "My grandmother forbids me from using raunchy language."
Harry: "Well your grandmother is a Blast-Ended Skank!"
Neville: *GASP*
Hermione: "He doesn't mean it Neville, he's just testing out some wizard swears."
Harry: "I mean every word I ever say ever, because I'm Harry Potter." --'Wizard Swears', Potter Puppet Pals

Hermione: "What's your problem Harry?"
Harry: "My parents are dead, my life sucks, I can't hold down a girlfriend, and I'm surrounded by f*ck*ng goblins and sh*t all the time. I mean what the f*ck?"
Ron: "But it's magic Harry. The goblins are magical!" --'Wizard Angst', Potter Puppet Pals

Me: "It's just a matter of looking past [McKay's] arrogant exterior to see his warm, fuzzy, probably angst-filled interior."
Hawkeye: "You harperchondriac girls think everyone has an angst filled interior."

"Good gods, you sniff out angst like a police dog sniffs out drugs." --Lyric (to me)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Medicine, In vitro, 2005

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users