• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:04 PM

Not much more on this other than the report.

Also reported at the same time that 45 bodies were found at a hospital that was evacuated a week ago. I'm wondering if these were patients left to die or were they already in the morgue?
The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#2 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:07 PM

It's on CNN too.  Not surprising...probably one of those "resignations."  You know what a "resignation" is, don't you? ;)
The Future...Unless Things Change.

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made?A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

#3 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:13 PM

Re: Brown's resignation -- Good riddance. He was no more qualified to head FEMA than I am.

About the patients found dead...  :(

Edited by Spectacles, 12 September 2005 - 02:13 PM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#4 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:15 PM

about bloody time.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#5 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:16 PM

Past bloody time.
The Future...Unless Things Change.

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made?A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

#6 mjtian

mjtian
  • Islander
  • 897 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:20 PM

I hate politics!
"I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot... and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why... I succeed" -Michael Jordan

#7 Tricia

Tricia

To err on the side of kindness is seldom an error.

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:32 PM

Saw the writing on the wall with last week's disclosures about the "exaggerations"
on Brown's resume...

On those 45 bodies....are you talking about at a hospital or that nursing home?  If it's the nursing home, they need to prosecute the owners who abandoned all those elderly to save their own necks...and yes, the authorities are looking for them

In true dialogue, both sides are willing to change. --Thich Nhat Hanh

You don't need to attend every argument you are invited to

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#8 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 02:44 PM

Yeah, I'm thinkin' he "resigned" in the same way John F. Kennedy "committed suicide."   :whistle:  If so, at least the administration finally did something right.

I wonder how he's going to pad his resume now.  I can just see him, working at a Waffle House somewhere, doing the ol' Sean Hannity trick, where they claim to have had so many jobs that the list changes every time they tell it.  His workmates are going to have to listen to endless speils of "Yeah, I used to head FEMA.  Before that, I was a professor of Egyptology and Cartoon-Physics.  I also washed windows on a submarine, was a 'fluffer' for several movies, was a Jet Ski mechanic, and was the ambassador to Latveria.  Yeah, I also used to be in charge of Home Depot (you know that 'Spackle Madness' promotion they do every spring?  Completely my idea, yeah, that was my baby.  In fact, that's why I quit; got tired of dealing with everybody's jealousy).  Oh, I stress-tested Depends Undergarmets, I was in the roller derby and represented the U.S. in croquet for the 1993 Olympics.  And, oh yeah, I invented Pop Rocks.  Perhaps you've heard some of my music; I used to play bass for Whitesnake.  Then I was the drummer for Def Leppard.   After my arm grew back, I fought SpiderMan in the guise of the Lizard.  Of course, all of this was after I decided I needed less stress in my life and quit my position as a double-nought spy!"

It'll all come out in his new book, I Was Rumsfeld's Paperweight.

Sad, silly bastard.  What he needs is a lil' jail time.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#9 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:00 PM

Zwolf666, on Sep 12 2005, 11:44 AM, said:

His workmates are going to have to listen to endless speils of "Yeah, I used to head FEMA.  Before that, I was a professor of Egyptology and Cartoon-Physics.  I also washed windows on a submarine, was a 'fluffer' for several movies, was a Jet Ski mechanic, and was the ambassador to Latveria.  Yeah, I also used to be in charge of Home Depot (you know that 'Spackle Madness' promotion they do every spring?  Completely my idea, yeah, that was my baby.  In fact, that's why I quit; got tired of dealing with everybody's jealousy).  Oh, I stress-tested Depends Undergarmets, I was in the roller derby and represented the U.S. in croquet for the 1993 Olympics.  And, oh yeah, I invented Pop Rocks.  Perhaps you've heard some of my music; I used to play bass for Whitesnake.  Then I was the drummer for Def Leppard.   After my arm grew back, I fought SpiderMan in the guise of the Lizard.  Of course, all of this was after I decided I needed less stress in my life and quit my position as a double-nought spy!"
I'd believe the stress tester one.  :oh:

Sad, silly bastard.  What he needs is a lil' jail time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or a lot.  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#10 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:09 PM

Sad, silly bastard. What he needs is a lil' jail time.

Or a lot.

Oh I'm thinking ALOT .

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 03:20 PM

Way past bloody time.
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#12 Gambler

Gambler
  • Islander
  • 239 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 04:26 PM

If the WH wanted to look like it was really back in charge and had control over the situation, Mike Brown should have been publicly fired.

#13 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 05:03 PM

I sincerely hope that Mr. Brown looked deep inside himself, recognized that he was not supposed to be doing the job he had been given, accepted responsibility to the extent that is reasonable for the loss of life under his management, and resigned.  Whatever political spin is given this - I hope that that's what happened.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#14 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 05:03 PM

Gambler, on Sep 12 2005, 09:26 PM, said:

If the WH wanted to look like it was really back in charge and had control over the situation, Mike Brown should have been publicly fired.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be admitting some measure of responsibility on the federal level and we all know that isn't very likely to happen.

Do not ask that your kids live up to your expectations.  Let your kids be who they are, and your expectations will be in breathless pursuit.

#15 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 05:20 PM

I was almost starting to feel sorry for the guy until I saw his self-pitying email to friends that the Denver Post got a hold of.  He seemed to think that he was the real victim of Hurricane Katrina.
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#16 Anastashia

Anastashia

Tyrant Matriarch and Pegan Too!

• Islander
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 05:28 PM

trikay, on Sep 12 2005, 03:32 PM, said:

Saw the writing on the wall with last week's disclosures about the "exaggerations"
on Brown's resume...

On those 45 bodies....are you talking about at a hospital or that nursing home?  If it's the nursing home, they need to prosecute the owners who abandoned all those elderly to save their own necks...and yes, the authorities are looking for them

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this is someplace else because it sounded like there bodies had just been discovered today.

6:35 - CBS is now reporting the hospital is saying these elderly patients died during the evacuation. So what will the autopsies say is the question now.

Edited by Anastashia, 12 September 2005 - 05:41 PM.

The Science Fiction Examiner

In the quiet of Midden a young child grows.
Does the salvation of his people grow with him?
"Everything we do now is for the child"

"I made a mistake,
just follow along,
isn't that what tyranny is all about?"
Sheila M---my Praise Band Director

For as long as I shall live
I will testify to love
I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough
Testify to Love

Posted Image

#17 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 05:53 PM

Probably had to get the federal attorneys involved before they fired/suggested he resigned.  It is standard procedure in municipalities when any employee is dismissed.

#18 Lover of Purple

Lover of Purple

Mustang Man

• Retired Board Owner
  • 11,215 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 05:58 PM

Actually in most situations like this, the person is given the chance to resign first. Pretty standard procedure.

#19 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 06:19 PM

And the head of the US Fire Adminstration has been tapped to replace him.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9315184/

WASHINGTON - The White House picked a top FEMA official with three decades of firefighting experience to be FEMA's new director, senior administration sources said Monday.

R. David Paulison, head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s emergency preparedness force, will lead the beleaguered agency, according to three administration sources who spoke on condition of anonymity because the announcement had not yet been made.

Bush's decision followed FEMA Director Mike Brown's announcement that he was resigning “in the best interest of the agency and best interest of the president,” three days after losing his on-site command of the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

Paulison is a career firefighter from Miami who was among emergency workers responding to Hurricane Andrew in 1992 and the crash of ValuJet Flight 592 in the Florida Everglades in 1996, according to a biography posted on FEMA's Web site. He also has led the U.S. Fire Administration since December 2001, according to the site.

As chief of the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Department, Paulison led 1,900 personnel under a $200 million operating budget. He was also in charge of Dade County's emergency management office, according to his biography.

Edited by Natolii, 12 September 2005 - 06:21 PM.

"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that don’t even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#20 Tricia

Tricia

• Islander
  • 10,245 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 06:55 PM

Paulison sounds like a great candidate...not only emergency experience from a management position but also actual hands on, in the field experience.

Now if he gets approved, let's see how he does.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, FEMA, Michael Brown resigns

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users