• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:25 AM

Here's the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9315184/

Wasn't this the guy who told everyone that in the event of a biological attack to use duck tape?

Not sure which is worse? A FEMA director who doesn't know what to do, and won't show up after a disaster for four days...or one who is just going to tell everyone to "use duck tape".
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#2 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 01:31 AM

A terrorist uses a bio agent to get NYC. The bug likely will be airborne and one of the few ways to keep it out is seal the windows. Now if you have a bunch of plastic  enough to cover the windows you will still need a means of sealing those windows.  You could use the power of positive prayer or you could use duct tape. and even use that tape if you do not have the plastic wrap.

I mean Israel uses a simular plan to protect their citizens who are at home at the time of the Scud attacks of the last gulf war.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#3 Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster

There's no Shepard without Vakarian

• Islander
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 04:32 AM

LORD of the SWORD, on Sep 13 2005, 05:25 AM, said:

Here's the link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9315184/

Wasn't this the guy who told everyone that in the event of a biological attack to use duck tape?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wasn't that Tom Ridge?

In any case, IIRC a portion of the "readiness kit" for dealing with attacks and natural disasters was ďat least a three-day supply of non-perishable foodĒ and a corresponding amount of water. In light of recent events, maybe it wasn't so stupid after all...

Edited by Talkie Toaster, 13 September 2005 - 04:32 AM.

Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

#4 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 05:47 AM

Duct Tape...

A good all-around tool. I would still rather have a career firefighter in the position then anyone else aside from Vice Adm. Allen.

And Duct Tape has proven itself time and again in the wake of hurricanes.

:rolleyes:
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#5 Kura

Kura

Catalyst of Irresistable Urges

• Islander
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:33 AM

Yep! He's the Duct Tape Man! :eek2:  :rolleyes: Duct Tape Man
I have this theory that Chocolate slows down the aging process.... It may not be true, but dare I take the chance?
Dogs have Masters - Cats have Staff!

#6 StarDust

StarDust
  • Islander
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:01 AM

He was one of several that endurced the plan, but Tom Ridge was the one who made the speech.

And there was nothing wrong with the plan.  Just a lot of pundits that jumped on a bandwagon, most of whom didn't even understand what was said.

If you are trapped, and a biological attack has begun, using duct tape and plastic will improve your chances. What's preferable, sitting there and doing nothing? It's one of many steps you could take to help yourself.

#7 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:03 PM

So folks would rather that people do nothing while smallpox rolls under their doors or through the windows and kills and mains thousands if not millions. I guess the opposition will be passing out packets of posey's.  Althought that is for the black death but hey the corpses will be fresh smelling.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#8 The Tyrant

The Tyrant

R.I.P. Martin Landau

• Islander
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:13 PM

Boy, Republicans can do no wrong in your eyes, eh, G?

Whoever gets put in charge of FEMA won't make a lick of difference if the organization itself doesn't get fixed. So long as their main focus is terrorism, response to any other kind of disaster will still be slow and disorganized, at least on the Federal level.

Hopefully, the local government in the next disaster area won't be quite so....taken aback....

#9 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:19 PM

I have pointed out the failings . The lack of proper use of the Bataan. The delays that did happen in Washington.

But this man tried to explain what he meant about using Duct Tape. The explaination is the same one that the State of Israel has as a requirment for homer owners in that country. And recommend for all dwellings.

But hey if democrats would not jump on any chance but actually listen we might get somewhere. But I guess that is why they are out of power

TANSTAAFL

#10 HubcapDave

HubcapDave

Bald is Beautiful!

• Islander
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:36 PM

Natolii, on Sep 13 2005, 03:47 AM, said:

Duct Tape...

A good all-around tool. I would still rather have a career firefighter in the position then anyone else aside from Vice Adm. Allen.

And Duct Tape has proven itself time and again in the wake of hurricanes.

:rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Growing up with a father who was a sheet metal worker, I became quite familiar with that magical material known as duct tape!

And remember, people who fly airplanes refer to it as "300 MPH tape"!

#11 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:37 PM

But hey if democrats would not jump on any chance but actually listen we might get somewhere. But I guess that is why they are out of power

***** So, the Dems are out of power because they don't have enough duct tape.  Check!  I will remedy this situation, so watch yer ass in '06! :)

Anyway, I do have plenty of duct tape at home.  Not because any Fear Factor guy told me to go get some, but because I'm a Southerner, and we always have lots of duct tape around.  And ordinary household bleach.   It's helped me fend off many an anthrax attack!   Plus, I know a fella named Dusty Rhodes (not the pro wrestler, but he was named after 'im!) who cut off several of his fingers with a chainsaw and didn't even go to the doctor; he just duct-taped them sumbishes back on, poured a little alcohol in there, and wah-lah!  Those fingers were a good bit smaller than the ones on his other hand, but they were there and they worked.   So, I think we should all keep duct tape around the house just for that.  Never know when somebody too freakin' stupid to go to the doctor will lop off a body part.

Anyway, as for the Dems not being in power, ya gotta love attitudes like the one in arch-conservative William Kristol's statement to the New York Times, "I think the Clinton administration would have done a better job in handling Hurricane Katrina, but I'm also glad Bush is president and not a Democrat."

In other words, who cares about performance or results?  Immaterial!  :)

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#12 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:49 PM

G1223, on Sep 13 2005, 09:03 AM, said:

So folks would rather that people do nothing while smallpox rolls under their doors or through the windows and kills and mains thousands if not millions. I guess the opposition will be passing out packets of posey's.† Althought that is for the black death but hey the corpses will be fresh smelling.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your facts are a little skewed. Sealing your windows wouldn't protect you from smallpox, which generally requires face-to-face contact - or contact with bedding or bodily fluids from someone who's infected. In extremely rare cases it has been known to settle in an enclosed place like a building or a bus.

http://www.bt.cdc.go...sease-facts.asp

And the nursery rhyme to which you refer is referencing the bubonic plague, or greate plague, which is a whole other form of nastiness and is also passed from person to person, via fleas on smaller mammels (like rats) or via contaminated bedding, etc. and is NOT typically airborne either.

http://www.emedicine...rg/topic428.htm

(I studied this stuff during two semester of micro, but thought I'd give you links to reputable sources so that you could read it yourself.)

OTOH, sealing your windows *might* protect you from anthrax.

Edited by Rhea, 13 September 2005 - 12:50 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#13 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:50 PM

G1223, on Sep 13 2005, 12:19 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For now they are, yes. We'll see how the republicans fair come next elections...especially after all the mess ups the Republicans made. I don't think the republicans will be in power for much longer.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#14 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:52 PM

Actually my comment would be the Clinton administration would have gotten better press and pass any blame off better to the locals.

TANSTAAFL

#15 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:54 PM

Rhea, on Sep 13 2005, 12:49 PM, said:

or bodily fluids from someone who's infected.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't you hear, FEMA's going to be promoting a new condom...the duck tape condom. Guaranteed protection.

#16 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 01:01 PM

Didn't you hear, FEMA's going to be promoting a new condom...the duck tape condom. Guaranteed protection.

*** They work, but maaaaaan does it hurt when you have to take them off!

I can't even listen to somebody wrapping something in packing tape without curling up into a fetal position and shuddering... :)

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#17 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 01:09 PM

Zwolf666, on Sep 13 2005, 01:01 PM, said:

*** They work, but maaaaaan does it hurt when you have to take them off!

Zwolf

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LMAO! Didn't think about that aspect of it...Man that's a mental image I didn't need.

#18 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 01:14 PM

Duct Tape Condoms eh?

I DO NOT want to know what you guys do in your personal lives, TYVM...

As for Mr. Paulison, Aside from one comment his boss made, he has proven himself with Hurricane Andrew, the ValueJet Flight 592 crash and as chief of the Miami-Dade Fire Department.

I'd feel better with him in office then Brown.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that donít even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#19 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 01:29 PM

I own duct tape because I thought Macguyver was cool :blush:

However, then I learned just how usefull the stuff is.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#20 CJ AEGIS

CJ AEGIS

Warship Guru!

• Islander
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 04:20 PM

Rhea, on Sep 13 2005, 12:49 PM, said:

OTOH, sealing your windows *might* protect you from anthrax.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Chemical or dirty bombs would be the big reason for sealing off buildings.
"History has proven too often and too recently that the nation which relaxes its defenses invites attack."
        -Fleet Admiral Nimitz
"Their sailors say they should have flight pay and sub pay both -- they're in the air half the time, under the water the other half""
        - Ernie Pyle: Aboard a DE

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, FEMA

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users