#1 Chipper

Chipper

Give it up

• Islander
  • 5,202 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 08:53 AM

This is just....Wow.

Here!

at Robertson on Sunday said that Hurricane Katrina was God’s way of expressing its anger at the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences for its selection of Ellen Degeneres to host this year’s Emmy Awards. “By choosing an avowed lesbian for this national event, these Hollywood elites have clearly invited God’s wrath,” Robertson said on “The 700 Club” on Sunday. “Is it any surprise that the Almighty chose to strike at Miss Degeneres’ hometown?”

Robertson also noted that the last time Degeneres hosted the Emmys, in 2001, the September 11 terrorism attacks took place shortly before the ceremony.

I'm trying to find confirmation on these remarks, but if they are true...Wow...
"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?"

- Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#2 Enkanowen

Enkanowen
  • Islander
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:07 AM

and here I thought Katrina happened as punishment because Robertson called for the assassination of a political leader....

#3 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:08 AM

That's gotta be a joke.  I mean, it's hard to tell since it's attributed to Pat Robertson and he's just a couple of sanity points away from rubbing poop in his hair and chasing people around a 7-11 with a weed-whacker, but still, it's gotta be a joke.  I mean...

“God already allows one awards show to promote the homosexual agenda,” Robertson declared. “But clearly He will not tolerate such sinful behavior to spread beyond the Tonys.”

:lol:

And picking on Ellen?  She's a nice lady.  I'm sure if a god wanted to be wrathful, he could find a more offensive target.   I reccomend Paully Shore.   If there was ever anybody who needed some smiting...

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#4 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:12 AM

Unfortunately, I can believe he made those statements (I also would accept this coming from Fred Phelps)

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#5 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:35 AM

Sad thing is, you can easily imagine Robertson saying something this cartoonishly bigoted. Even if he didn't, the fact that you have to question/wonder that he said it at all is flat out sad.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 eloisel

eloisel

Non-sequitur

• Islander
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 09:52 AM

Why is he picking on Ellen?  I love Ellen.

#7 Cheile

Cheile

proud J/Cer ~ ten years and counting

• Islander
  • 10,776 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 10:07 AM

Ellen may be freakish in my opinion (NOT because of which way she swings) but i doubt she's the cause of this hurricane.

on the other hand, since he's now spewing slander at American citizens, does this mean Ellen can have him charged with such? ;)

Posted Image

"Andromeda may be over but it's not dead. Not as long as we have fanfic writers dedicated to keeping it alive.  Whether you accept everything as canon or stop at a certain point. Whether you accept and enjoy Nu Drom or only accept Classic Drom, it will never be over.  Not as long as we have each other [and Beka], who binds us all together." ~ Mary Rose

Twitter * Facebook * ExIsle at Facebook

icon by mercscilla @ LJ

#8 Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf

Luck is when opportunity meets preparation

• Islander
  • 38,881 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:08 AM

Oh man, this guy didn't just fly over a cuckoo's nest, I'm thinking he must have been born in one...;)

Lil
Posted Image

#9 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:26 AM

OK, can we please extradite Roberston to President Chavez now? Seems that since Chavez was one of the first countries to offer aide, it's the least we could do...Given Roberston's call for assassination of a head of state. Besides, it's not like this idiot would be missed here in America...in fact, the USA would probably be better off if he was extradited.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#10 GoldenCoal

GoldenCoal

Not Fool's Gold

• Islander
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:34 AM

:blink:
When will people realize that pastors aren't prophets?

#11 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 11:57 AM

Doesn't surprise me at all. Wasn't Robertson the one who said 9/11 was God's punishment for our godlessness?  :glare:
The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#12 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:01 PM

I can't believe I'm going to give any credit at all to Pat Robertson, but I'm thinking this is a joke.

:eek4:

Man, I HOPE it's a joke.

Anybody have anything other than this one source?

Edited by Spectacles, 13 September 2005 - 12:01 PM.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#13 kcsue

kcsue

Chocolate Fiend

• Islander
  • 5,695 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:01 PM

Una Salus Lillius, on Sep 13 2005, 04:08 PM, said:

Oh man, this guy didn't just fly over a cuckoo's nest, I'm thinking he must have been born in one...;)

Lil

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It sounds like he took one hit too many off the pipe! :sarcasm:
As long as I have Coffee and Chocolate, the world is safe!

Tyr: Don't forget to hee-haw

#14 MuseZack

MuseZack

132nd S.O.C.

• Demigod
  • 5,432 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:04 PM

It's not just Robertson's rhetoric that's evil.  He also has a history of doing business with some of the world's most vile and murderous dictators-- Charles Taylor of Liberia and Mobutu sese Seko of the Democratic Republic of Congo (formerly Zaire), to name but two.

http://www.washingto...9&notFound=true
"Some day, after we have mastered the wind, the waves, the tides, and gravity,
We shall harness for God the energies of Love.
Then, for the second time in the history of the world,
we will have discovered fire."
--Father Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

#15 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:14 PM

Amazing, isn't it, that FEMA had listed Robertson's Operation Blessing as one of a half dozen approved organizations for Katrina relief donations.

I think they yanked it.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#16 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,634 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:26 PM

“God already allows one awards show to promote the homosexual agenda,” Robertson declared. “But clearly He will not tolerate such sinful behavior to spread beyond the Tonys.”

This is too tongue-in-cheek to be serious.  Pat would want the Tonys to be smitten along with everyone else.  This sounds like an industry insider joking that, since few of the Robertson flock go to Sin City, he would allow the very gay-friendly behavior on the Tonys to remain on the air.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#17 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:38 PM

Cheile, on Sep 13 2005, 09:07 AM, said:

on the other hand, since he's now spewing slander at American citizens, does this mean Ellen can have him charged with such? ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You'd have to prove both intent and harm to reputation to get a slander charge to stick.  Actually, considering it's Robertson, the reverse is probably true.  I bet Ellen will be more popular than ever.....

and if that's the case.. that must be God's will also :angel: .....  and would that make Pat Robertson God's version of the village idiot?   :ninjadeath:

Corwin
"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

#18 Kimmer

Kimmer
  • Islander
  • 6,388 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:44 PM

Chipper, on Sep 13 2005, 06:53 AM, said:

This is just....Wow.
I'm trying to find confirmation on these remarks, but if they are true...Wow...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's not "Wow", it's satire.

Took me less than 30 seconds to find this:

http://www.snopes.co...a/robertson.asp

Those not quite convinced that the Dateline Hollywood article really was intended as satire are invited to read that web publication's explanation of their history, starting with their founding in 360 BC as Gladiators Weekly.

As with all good satire, it has to be believable -- and PR has certainly made himself a target for this type of satire.

HnC

#19 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:53 PM

oh.  good.  Obviously it is satire...

Because I know good and well that Katrina was God's wrath for New Orleans cutting back the flashing at Mardi Gras.  They tried to clean it up, and God is NOT happy about that.

***Is easily distracted***

#20 shambalayogi

shambalayogi

Fan of Many Things

• Islander
  • 2,448 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 01:39 PM

Oh, dear God in heaven above!!!  :(  :angry:

I'd like to believe this is some satirical joke but it sounds just like the man!!  :glare:
Shamba,
I Trust SNAPE!  so .. he better be loyal!
I Knew Where NZ was before LOTR!
Frodo Lives! Long Live the King!
It may not be a time of myth and legend, but it's
definitely a time for heroes and heroines!
Shambalayogi's Retreat
Tulsa Trek Expo
Comic Con In 2008
Learn About Peak Oil

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, Pat Robertson

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users