• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 12:10 AM

Natolii, on Sep 13 2005, 11:32 PM, said:

It's not going to offend the average person, Cait. It's people like Jesse Jackson and Oprah that got the ball rolling... and NBC fell for it Hook, line and Stinker.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funny how they didn't use that term with the Tsunami, though, isn't it. And to be a "evacuee" don't you usually have to be one of the ones that left BEFORE the storm. if you had to be rescued, then IMO you're no longer a evacuee, but a refugee.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#22 Delvo

Delvo
  • Islander
  • 9,273 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 06:30 AM

Natolii, on Sep 13 2005, 11:32 PM, said:

It's not going to offend the average person, Cait. It's people like Jesse Jackson and Oprah

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But HOW did they manage to come up with it in the first place? What are they talking about? There's a difference between being "too sensetive" to something that's actually there and complaining about something that ISN'T no matter how "sensetive" you are.

#23 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 08:47 AM

Oprah started it by televising her visits to the region with relief supplies. She started on a bit of a rant while she was at the Astrodome.

"I think we all—this country—owe these people an apology. We still don't know how many of our fellow Americans lost their lives in the Katrina catastrophe. As New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin says, 'It is a number we all fear.' But we do know that a million did survive. They are not refugees. And I hope that everybody in this country and the world stops calling them refugees, because they are not. They are survivors and we, the people, will not let them stand alone. They are Americans." — Oprah

http://www2.oprah.co..._20050906.jhtml

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9232071/

Calling Katrina survivors ‘refugees’ stirs debate
Jesse Jackson, other critics say word carries racist implications

Updated: 2:06 p.m. ET Sept. 7, 2005

NEW YORK - What do you call people who have been driven from their homes with only the clothes on their backs, unsure if they will ever be able to return, and forced to build a new life in a strange place? News organizations are struggling for the right word.

Many, including The Associated Press, have used "refugee" to describe those displaced by the wrath of Hurricane Katrina.

But the choice has stirred anger among some readers and other critics, particularly in the black community. They have argued that "refugee" implies that the displaced storm victims, many of whom have been black, are second-class citizens — or not even Americans.

"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that don’t even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#24 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 08:52 AM

I find that odd.

Refugee, by the dictionary definition would seem to be the accurate word. The word itself doesn't, as far as I know, carry any implication of being second-class, merely of having been driven out of house and home by either a natural or man made disaster, and not being able to return.

But that's just me

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#25 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 08:53 AM

Look who is doing the protesting...

'Nuff said.
"I have on this board written pages and pages pointing out the science, and I will be dammed if I am going to attempt to reach closed minds that don’t even know how to use a reference library." -emsparks (Fenton E. Magill, dec. 1/25/07 - Love you Dad)

#26 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:00 AM

Natolii, on Sep 14 2005, 02:53 PM, said:

Look who is doing the protesting...

'Nuff said.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed. I would call a rich person who lost their homes in Katrina a refugee to their face.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#27 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:10 AM

Trent Lott comes to mind...

#28 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:14 AM

True, the fact that he can afford the best hotels doesn't take away from the fact that he was chased out of his home by Katrina as much as anyone else.

Defy Gravity!

#29 Natolii

Natolii
  • Islander
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 09:16 AM

Godeskian, on Sep 14 2005, 10:14 AM, said:

True, the fact that he can afford the best hotels doesn't take away from the fact that he was chased out of his home by Katrina as much as anyone else.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He has living arrangments in Washington, Dc. He is not quite Homeless.

Unlike my friend that is rooming in a 2-bedroom trailer with 7 people (Her family and the couple that took them in)

#30 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,300 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 03:07 PM

Natolii, on Sep 14 2005, 09:47 AM, said:

Oprah started it by televising her visits to the region with relief supplies. She started on a bit of a rant while she was at the Astrodome.

"I think we all—this country—owe these people an apology. We still don't know how many of our fellow Americans lost their lives in the Katrina catastrophe. As New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin says, 'It is a number we all fear.' But we do know that a million did survive. They are not refugees. And I hope that everybody in this country and the world stops calling them refugees, because they are not. They are survivors and we, the people, will not let them stand alone. They are Americans." — Oprah

http://www2.oprah.co..._20050906.jhtml

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9232071/

Calling Katrina survivors ‘refugees’ stirs debate
Jesse Jackson, other critics say word carries racist implications

Updated: 2:06 p.m. ET Sept. 7, 2005

NEW YORK - What do you call people who have been driven from their homes with only the clothes on their backs, unsure if they will ever be able to return, and forced to build a new life in a strange place? News organizations are struggling for the right word.

Many, including The Associated Press, have used "refugee" to describe those displaced by the wrath of Hurricane Katrina.

But the choice has stirred anger among some readers and other critics, particularly in the black community. They have argued that "refugee" implies that the displaced storm victims, many of whom have been black, are second-class citizens — or not even Americans.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well - I hadn't heard of the conflict - but then, I've got enough drama going on in my life to be ignoring the news right now.  I do know that refugees have, until know, been mostly the people who we rescue off of boats from third-world nations - people who willingly flee their homes because of destitution, oppression or war.  So - I agree with Oprah that these are survivors - and that that's a better term.

OTOH - the most survivors of Hurricane Katrina in the New Orleans area ARE refugees - they HAVE been forced from their homes from forces they themselves don't control.  I don't find anything wrong with using either word.

QT

Edited by QueenTiye, 14 September 2005 - 03:31 PM.

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#31 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,501 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:55 PM

I'm hoping that using the word "survivor" won't offend anyone. I'm just calling them Hurricane survivors. So far no one has hit me.

Yes. I was sort of seeing the point of not calling them refugees, because "refugees" tends to refer to Third Worlders who tend to have disasters and wars and need to be rescued, but now that I see that this oversensitivity came from Oprah, I may go back to calling them refugees. Just because. :rolleyes:

I'm fairly certain that I heard someone from the actual affected area say that s/he didn't want to be called a refugee, because it made him/her feel like a foreigner in his/her own country, but it's lost in the storm of stuff from the last couple of weeks...

Of course, Garrison Keillor (or one of his guests) snarked that they couldn't be called refugees because that would imply that they actually had a refuge to go to. (This was before they were getting what help they are now.)

And what in the world ELSE is there to call a refugee?

For starters: evacuee, survivor... there must be something else. (I should go check my highly-detailed crossword puzzle dictionary. ;) )
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, Post Katrina

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users