Katrina Investigation nixed

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:50 AM

I'm disappointed in Republicans like Susan Fine Collins, who can usually be counted on to be non-partisan and pro-accountability.

http://news.yahoo.co...HNlYwMlJVRPUCUl
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#2 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 09:55 AM

Of course they did.  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  Wimps.

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#3 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 10:02 AM

So why even bother now?  If somebody gets Al Capone to head an investigation of organized crime, I don't even want to bother hearing what he comes up with...  :sarcasm:

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#4 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 10:06 AM

I'm with Zwolfe - Congress is at fault here as well, so why should they be expected to fairly follow through with the investigation?

***Is easily distracted***

#5 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 10:15 AM

The Idea has merit it just appeared to me to be partisan from the start out.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#6 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 10:18 AM

There should be an independent counsel to investigate this (one of the few times I've agreed with Hillary Clinton) but in this case I do. You don't ask the Fox to investigate the raided chicken coop. Anything that comes out of this would be little more than partisan finger pointing or a flat out whitewash.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 10:40 AM

I see the original link no longer works. Maybe this one will:

http://www.woodtv.co...y.asp?s=3850198

In a CNN/USA Today Gallup poll taken September 8-11, 70 percent of those surveyed supported an independent panel to investigate the government's response to Katrina. Only 29 percent were opposed.

The overwhelming desire of the American people shouldn't be dismissed as partisanship.
So what if the Democrats proposed this? In this case, they proposed something that most Americans want to see happen.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#8 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 10:48 AM

Spectacles, on Sep 15 2005, 10:40 AM, said:

I see the original link no longer works. Maybe this one will:

http://www.woodtv.co...y.asp?s=3850198

In a CNN/USA Today Gallup poll taken September 8-11, 70 percent of those surveyed supported an independent panel to investigate the government's response to Katrina. Only 29 percent were opposed.

The overwhelming desire of the American people shouldn't be dismissed as partisanship.
So what if the Democrats proposed this? In this case, they proposed something that most Americans want to see happen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since when did the majority opinion mean anything here in the US?
The Future...Unless Things Change.

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made? A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

#9 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 10:58 AM

Coyote: Since when did the majority opinion mean anything here in the US?

Sadly, true.

#10 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 12:09 PM

So the solution would be to waste several more million dollars just so we can point fingers?

#11 Rhea

Rhea

• Islander
  • 16,433 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 12:11 PM

Great. This was the greatest natural disaster we've ever had and it's important to find out what went wrong - not to nail Bush, but to saves lives down the line if a disaster of this magnitude hits again.  :glare:  :glare:

Too many people died because we were not adequately prepared to deal with a disaster like Katrina - we need to do better the next time.

Edited by Rhea, 15 September 2005 - 12:12 PM.

The future is better than the past. Despite the crepehangers, romanticists, and anti-intellectuals, the world steadily grows better because the human mind, applying itself to environment, makes it better. With hands...with tools...with horse sense and science and engineering.
- Robert A. Heinlein

When I don’t understand, I have an unbearable itch to know why. - RAH

Everything is theoretically impossible, until it is done. One could write a history of science in reverse by assembling the solemn pronouncements of highest authority about what could not be done and could never happen.  - RAH

#12 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 12:14 PM

Broph, on Sep 15 2005, 01:09 PM, said:

So the solution would be to waste several more million dollars just so we can point fingers?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or to find out if somebody is criminally liable for the death of thousands.  Or perhaps to figure out what really did go wrong, so that in future events we don't make the same mistakes - or to change the way the system works.  

To me, it is very important to figure out what went wrong, not because I want to see the Bush Administration in a bad position at any opportunity, but because I still hold onto the silly idea that we can learn from our mistakes.

#13 Broph

Broph
  • Islander
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 01:27 PM

Crminially liable? There were a lot of really bad decisions, but unless you can prove negligence or malice, you'll never prove criminally liable.

Review things for the next disaster? We knew that the storm was coming. We've been through 9-11. If we weren't prepared this time, what are we really going to learn from an independent investigation?

#14 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 01:49 PM

Broph: Review things for the next disaster? We knew that the storm was coming. We've been through 9-11. If we weren't prepared this time, what are we really going to learn from an independent investigation?

We can cut through the partisan rear-end covering on both sides with an independent investigation and find out if there is a flaw in our emergency response plans (local, state, and federal) or if there was a flaw in execution. In either case--or both--those flaws should never be repeated again.

Right now, the Republicans are blaming the Democratic governor and mayor of New Orleans (neglecting to say much about the Republican governor of Mississippi, where FEMA was also missing in action for too long--and still is in some locations.) The Democrats downplay the state and local responsibilities. We need an even-handed, objective review of what happened, what didn't happen, and why.

#15 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 02:04 PM

Broph, I don't understand.  Are you saying that because we experience 9-11, we are now as prepared for emergencies as we will ever be?  Just because we have had that behind us, and say that we are more prepared now, the actual fact is that our emergency preparedness failed on some level.  

It sounds like you are saying there is no room for improvement.  I refuse to believe that there is anything in this world that does not have room for improvement.

#16 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 02:39 PM

I would like an investigation but not just to give people finger pointing ammo. I agree FEMA messed up but so did a number of other agencies. Both state and federal. I think that the Govenor's office has a bit more of the blame and the mayor did not do more to evacuate invalid people from the area.

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#17 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 02:46 PM

Honest question here, I really want to know what some of the supporters of the current administration think:  

Is there any way that an unbiased investigation could come to the conclusion that the Federal Government, from the top down, was largely at fault without it being decreed as "finger pointing?"

#18 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 02:54 PM

I think a seven person panel with additional eight person expert group simular to the NASA probe into Apollo 1's fire.

The main panel is to take in the expert's info and release it's report.

Three will be appointed from each party and the seventh by an appointment from the current USSC. And it does not need to be a judge but simply someone from outside the political game.

Not saying that the six will vote party lines but it removes the possibility of a percieved imbalance.

TANSTAAFL

#19 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 02:56 PM

I think that the Govenor's office has a bit more of the blame

**** Just in Louisiana, or does that go for Mississippi, too?

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#20 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 02:58 PM

Sad to say I have seen little about Mississippi in the media. After all it's not NO therefore the media is not as concerned.

TANSTAAFL

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Katrina, Investigation nixed

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users