• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#21 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 08:52 AM

scherzo, on Sep 16 2005, 05:13 AM, said:

Or...a sinister plot to test the endurance of Lin731's keyboard. :Oo: There are early reports from the area of sparks deflecting off her monitor....

-scherzo(Specs-tacular?...damn it's late)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Normally I would stay out of something like this thread, but since I have been reference in here, I am compelled to respond.

I will say this: I did not vote for President Bush and in this thread at least my reasons for not doing so are unimportant.

I would also point of that I am among those on this board that at least try to admit when they are wrong.

Oh and by the way, I am not Christian, and I don’t like Christianity even obliquely shoved down my throat. My people did not kill Christ, criminals did.

I find it embarrassing enough having to go to a food bank without having to deal with a Christian religious sermon before I can get something to eat.

I am not lazy, I am just plain sick, I did not ask to be sick, but I am. I will be God dammed if I am going to stick my tail between my legs, and humbly allow someone to tell me what kind of a sinner I am because I can’t work, and how God’s wrath is upon me for killing Christ. So kindly take your moral judgments and put them where the sun doesn’t shine.

What I really am tired of is people walking up to me or coming into my hospital room to tell me how they are going to save me and help me find Christ. Well let me tell you something I have not lost my faith, God and I have a personal relationship but that, is between God and me. I don’t need the name of God plastered all over every thing owned or issued by the government to reinforce my faith.

I am really tired of faith based this and faith based that, persecuted Christian this and persecuted Christians that. I am really tired of hearing about the Christian agenda in every dam newscast I tune into.

Go a head tell me again, how the United States is a Christian Country.

If you think that imposing Christianity is going to stop the crime, and protect your children, you are truly the lost.

Don’t tell me how your not imposing your religious beliefs, you’re the one that brought up “faith based,” and are talking about the so-called restrictions on “Faith Based organizations.” Like the restriction that says I don’t have to listen to a sermon to get food supplied by the federal government.

To put it simply President Bush is enabling the evangelical drive to take away my religious rights, and impose Christianity as the Official religion of this country. I am too staunch of a believer in The Constitution of the United States, to vote for any man like that. When a President of the United States starts repeatedly proclaiming his faith then by the powers vested in him, there is no longer a separation between Church and State.

Edited by emsparks, 16 September 2005 - 09:13 AM.

Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#22 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:14 AM

One of many reasons I didn't vote for him.  And why any relief effort supplies or money I give are aimed at the Red Cross (despite the Cross in its name) instead of the Salvation Army.  

That and this one:  Does not support the United Nations (Kyoto Conference) treaty, in its current form, regarding global climate change. He believes that industry and market driven solutions are the only way to develop alternatives to current energy use patterns. He supports the moratorium on oil drilling off Florida and California, but thinks drilling should be allowed in the Arctic region near Alaska, so that dependence on foreign oil can be reduced. Bush believes more use of natural gas, development of "cleaner coal", and electric deregulation will help lessen use of oil.  (IMO, only development of alternative fuels will lessen use of oil...)

and this:  Does not support increasing taxes on alcohol and cigarettes to help defer costs of Medicare and Medicaid.

and this:  making personal retirement accounts part of Social Security reform.

and especially this:  Supports
lifting federal regulations that hamper faith-based institutions from involvement in the delivery of services to the needy.

Many of the other issues you posted I could actually support.  Part of my problem is the difference between what he's said and what he's done, or not done.  

But based strictly on what he's said, my biggest reason was his agenda of inserting religion (specifically Christianity, specifically fundamentalist Christianity) into government and using my tax money to help do so.

Themis
Cats will never be extinct!

#23 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:06 AM

eloisel, on Sep 16 2005, 04:08 AM, said:

And, I will get to why I support him now.  Mostly it is because I see a strength in him that has kept this country afloat through some difficult times. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So how do you account for all the drowned?  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#24 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:11 AM

Themis, on Sep 16 2005, 10:14 AM, said:

and this:  Does not support increasing taxes on alcohol and cigarettes to help defer costs of Medicare and Medicaid.

and this:  making personal retirement accounts part of Social Security reform.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Increase the tax on the people most likely to abuse alcohol and cigarettes to fund the services that will most likely be used to treat the resulting medical problems?  Unless the tax is going to match the cost that medical problems from alcohol and cigarette abuse cause - this is a horrible idea, and if the tax is sufficiently prohibitive as to make alcohol and cigarette usage decrease, then the OTHER services that medicaid and medicare provide may go underfunded because of the assumption that its being funded by a source that successfully undoes its own usage... I won't discuss who I did or didn't vote for - but this is one position I absolutely agree with Bush about.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#25 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:13 AM

emsparks, on Sep 16 2005, 05:52 AM, said:

Normally I would stay out of something like this thread, but since I have been reference in here, I am compelled to respond.

I will say this: I did not vote for President Bush and in this thread at least my reasons for not doing so are unimportant.

I would also point of that I am among those on this board that at least try to admit when they are wrong.

Oh and by the way, I am not Christian, and I don’t like Christianity even obliquely shoved down my throat. My people did not kill Christ, criminals did.

I find it embarrassing enough having to go to a food bank without having to deal with a Christian religious sermon before I can get something to eat.

I am not lazy, I am just plain sick, I did not ask to be sick, but I am. I will be God dammed if I am going to stick my tail between my legs, and humbly allow someone to tell me what kind of a sinner I am because I can’t work, and how God’s wrath is upon me for killing Christ. So kindly take your moral judgments and put them where the sun doesn’t shine.

What I really am tired of is people walking up to me or coming into my hospital room to tell me how they are going to save me and help me find Christ. Well let me tell you something I have not lost my faith, God and I have a personal relationship but that, is between God and me. I don’t need the name of God plastered all over every thing owned or issued by the government to reinforce my faith.

I am really tired of faith based this and faith based that, persecuted Christian this and persecuted Christians that. I am really tired of hearing about the Christian agenda in every dam newscast I tune into.

Go a head tell me again, how the United States is a Christian Country.

If you think that imposing Christianity is going to stop the crime, and protect your children, you are truly the lost.

Don’t tell me how your not imposing your religious beliefs, you’re the one that brought up “faith based,” and are talking about the so-called restrictions on “Faith Based organizations.” Like the restriction that says I don’t have to listen to a sermon to get food supplied by the federal government.

To put it simply President Bush is enabling the evangelical drive to take away my religious rights, and impose Christianity as the Official religion of this country. I am too staunch of a believer in The Constitution of the United States, to vote for any man like that. When a President of the United States starts repeatedly proclaiming his faith then by the powers vested in him, there is no longer a separation between Church and State.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

{{{{{{{{{{{Sparky}}}}}}}}}}}

I am so ready to hop in my car and drive to wherever you are and be your bodyguard.  I'm really tired of the "faith-based" types too, and I'd deal with them for you.   :ninjadeath:  

Nonny
Posted Image

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#26 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,633 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:24 AM

My two main objections.  The first is the blurring of the line between government and religion, although I think more verbal encouragement has been given to the religious right agenda than political capital spent to get it enacted (thankfully.)

The second is that the unifying principle behind nearly every policy Bush has fought hard for and enacted is the benefiting of corporations and their shareholders while trying to limit government services to those who need them--something Katrina has demonstrated in spades.  Even the support of faith-based charities is less about love of religion than it is about asking charities to do the work that government had been doing for the last half century.

Cardie
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#27 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:37 AM

{{{{{Nonny}}}}

Dear Nonny,

I have to tell you how I handled it during one of my more lucid moments.

A guy comes up to me out of the blue, on my street corner. He says to me; “Brother I’m going to save you, I’m going to help you find God.” To which I replied; I know the honor you‘re trying to do me, but you see my God isn’t lost.” I when on to say, ”Look it’s an old and established firm, you deal with the son, and me, I prefer to deal with the father.”

The guy just looked at me then quietly turned and left.
Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#28 Nonny

Nonny

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:59 AM

emsparks, on Sep 16 2005, 07:37 AM, said:

A guy comes up to me out of the blue, on my street corner. He says to me; “Brother I’m going to save you, I’m going to help you find God.” To which I replied; I know the honor you‘re trying to do me, but you see my God isn’t lost.” I when on to say, ”Look it’s an old and established firm, you deal with the son, and me, I prefer to deal with the father.”

The guy just looked at me then quietly turned and left.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:   Wow!  I am impressed.  Here's to more lucid moments!  And to much better health.  

{{{{{{{Sparky}}}}}}}

Nonny
Posted Image

#29 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 11:55 AM

I watched the president's speech last night, and it sounded good, too, but when you know some of the things he's actually doing, it was less than rousing. For instance, he mentioned that the workers harmed by the hurricane would be given a chance to catch up on their losses by joining the rebuilding efforts... which is a great idea, except for the fact that he kicked out the Davis-Bacon act so those workers can be paid less than the going rate.
Bush didn't suspend application of Davis-Bacon with some sort of malicious intent. It's a move to increase the speed of reconstruction, and theoretically expand immediate employment opportunities. No one's being kicked in the teeth there.

He also mentioned working with the Army Corps of Engineers, when in actuality he's cutting their funding by another $4.6 billion, after he'd given them less than 20% of what they'd quoted was needed to shore up the levees in the first place.
According to your link, the funding cut is merely a proposal from the Cato Institute.(hey...if it's good enough for The Green Hornet...) I found their suggestion of cutting energy research funding more troubling to be honest with you. But even Michael Kinsley acknowledges there's nothing Bush could have done during his tenure in office to prevent the levee failure. Obviously in hindsight the levees should have been a top priority for American politicians for the last 50 years, but it managed to fly under the radar.

-scherzo
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#30 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 12:07 PM

Or...a sinister plot to test the endurance of Lin731's keyboard. Oo.gif There are early reports from the area of sparks deflecting off her monitor....

No smiley...so I guess you're serious.:((too bad....it'd actually be a great on purpose joke)
I meant  "SPARKS" sparks Sparks. Incandescent particles...like what flies off of cut steel, or Michael Moore's fork during dinner.  

Although come to think of it...Lin731 hasn't posted so maybe the attempt at comedy wasn't "pure".  No that can't be...I'm starting to get worried. If she doesn't show up by 8:00 I'm calling the police...

-scherzo
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so."    -Ronald Reagan, October 27 1964
Posted Image

#31 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 12:18 PM

Bush didn't suspend application of Davis-Bacon with some sort of malicious intent. It's a move to increase the speed of reconstruction, and theoretically expand immediate employment opportunities. No one's being kicked in the teeth there.

******* Except the workers - many of them displaced by the storm - who will be getting paid less than they should.  There's still plenty of rebuilding to do in Florida.  The top workers aren't likely to be lured to the New Orleans and Mississippi rebuilding by weak wages.  Meanwhile, no profit cap has been placed on notoriously-corrupt Halliburton, who has a habit of losing money and screwing people over, even to the point of feeding our troops garbage.  Speeding it up is a good idea, but Halliburton had a 700% profit increase this year... they could easily afford to hire the necessary workers without making it easy for them to underpay labor... especially people who need it to rebuild their lives.

According to your link, the funding cut is merely a proposal from the Cato Institute.(hey...if it's good enough for The Green Hornet...)

******* True, it hasn't been done yet... but it's kinda crazy that they're even thinking about it after what happened.

I found their suggestion of cutting energy research funding more troubling to be honest with you. But even Michael Kinsley acknowledges there's nothing Bush could have done during his tenure in office to prevent the levee failure.

******* That's possible... but giving the Corps of Engineers less than 20% of their stated need is definitely not addressing the problem.  They may have failed anyway -  who knows?  I'm not crazy enough to hold Bush responsible for the effects of a hurricane... but, helping fund more adequate protection beforehand definitely does belong on his plate.

Obviously in hindsight the levees should have been a top priority for American politicians for the last 50 years, but it managed to fly under the radar.

******* This I agree with. :)

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#32 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 12:23 PM

No smiley...so I guess you're serious.(too bad....it'd actually be a great on purpose joke)

****** I think Sparky was kidding.   I know I thought it was witty when I saw it. :)

I meant "SPARKS" sparks Sparks. Incandescent particles...like what flies off of cut steel, or Michael Moore's fork during dinner.

******* :lol:

Although come to think of it...Lin731 hasn't posted so maybe the attempt at comedy wasn't "pure". No that can't be...I'm starting to get worried. If she doesn't show up by 8:00 I'm calling the police...

******** She's around. :)  Speaking of people who haven't shown up and are causing worry, anybody seen Dizaster Overkill yet?  I know he's a Mississippian and hasn't shown up since the storm.  I'm hoping it's just some leftover access problems (power out, phone lines down, somethin'), but it's been a while.  Hope the fella's okay...

Cheers,

Zwolf

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."

#33 mjtian

mjtian
  • Islander
  • 897 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 12:29 PM

Yikes, threads like this one could get nasty   :eek2:

I didn't vote for Bush, but I am staying out of this debate   :)
"I have missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot... and missed. And I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why... I succeed" -Michael Jordan

#34 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 12:31 PM

Zwolf666, on Sep 16 2005, 12:18 PM, said:

******* That's possible... but giving the Corps of Engineers less than 20% of their stated need is definitely not addressing the problem.  They may have failed anyway -  who knows?  I'm not crazy enough to hold Bush responsible for the effects of a hurricane... but, helping fund more adequate protection beforehand definitely does belong on his plate.

The Government did allocate and send Federal dollars specifically for the purpose of the Levees.  Unfortunately for NO, the State of Louisiana chose not to use the vasts majority of the money for the intended purpose.  Since the Federal government cannot force the State to use the money correctly, they cut the funding back.  Whether this is the exact case of what happened with the decreased funding I can't say for sure, but this is common when dealing with Federal money doled out to States for programs of this type.

Corwin
"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

#35 Rhiannonjk

Rhiannonjk

Woof!

• Islander
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 12:33 PM

mjtian, on Sep 16 2005, 01:29 PM, said:

Yikes, threads like this one could get nasty   :eek2:

I didn't vote for Bush, but I am staying out of this debate   :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't think of it as a debate, think of it as a "question and answer session"  

I'm excited to see Bush supporters explaining issues.  I hope the thread stays friendly...

***Is easily distracted***

#36 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 12:45 PM

The Government did allocate and send Federal dollars specifically for the purpose of the Levees. Unfortunately for NO, the State of Louisiana chose not to use the vasts majority of the money for the intended purpose. Since the Federal government cannot force the State to use the money correctly, they cut the funding back. Whether this is the exact case of what happened with the decreased funding I can't say for sure, but this is common when dealing with Federal money doled out to States for programs of this type.

****** That is a point worth considering.  I do know that Louisiana did mis-spend some of their funds, although I haven't heard that they mis-used levee money specifically.  Since they got so little of their requested funds, I doubt it, but it's always possible, although it seems like kind a suicidal gamble.  I read that one of the only states that came in higher for them for incidents of found corruption is... Mississippi.  And I can vouch for how corrupt this state is.  I have cousins who are big buddies with Trent Lott and, to a lesser degree, Haley Barbour.  And I'm privvy some of the stuff they've done, just from personal experience.   It ain't pretty.

Cheers,

Zwolf

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."

#37 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 12:56 PM

Or...a sinister plot to test the endurance of Lin731's keyboard.  There are early reports from the area of sparks deflecting off her monitor....

Sorry no sparks from my keyboard but if you really want to see sparks, you're welcome to torch yours. :D  ;)

Although come to think of it...Lin731 hasn't posted so maybe the attempt at comedy wasn't "pure". No that can't be...I'm starting to get worried. If she doesn't show up by 8:00 I'm calling the police...

Well for the sake of your peace of mind, here goes:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#38 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 01:03 PM

Whoo-hoo, I got my own graphic! :)   Luckily, it doesn't look a thing like me... although there is a certain resemblance around the tongue. :)

Cheers,

Zwolf

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."

#39 scherzo

scherzo

I know things

• Islander
  • 3,388 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 01:21 PM

****** I think Sparky was kidding. I know I thought it was witty when I saw it.
Oh...ok good. Hey that may be the funniest joke I've seen posted here then. Nice one Sparks. :thumbs-up:

Sorry no sparks from my keyboard but if you really want to see sparks, you're welcome to torch yours.
Lin!!!! :insanosmile:
Don't ever scare us like that again you hear! :pout: Where have u been? Usually I can just THINK something nice about President Bush, and you'll appear in the room like Barbara Eden and pimp slap me. Going on for consecutive posts in a positive way about W is a sure fire recipe for maximum slappage. Which is why I never do.(my neighbors were starting to complain about all the pink smoke in my living room)

-scherzo
Posted Image

#40 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 01:43 PM

Lin!!!! 
Don't ever scare us like that again you hear!  Where have u been? Usually I can just THINK something nice about President Bush, and you'll appear in the room like Barbara Eden and pimp slap me. Going on for consecutive posts in a positive way about W is a sure fire recipe for maximum slappage. Which is why I never do.(my neighbors were starting to complain about all the pink smoke in my living room)

:lol: I'm more the Samatha Stevens type actually, the harem girl costume was giving me such  a chest cold, so I prefer the nose twitch and the funky alter ego. Don't blame me for the wicked stuff that my cousin Serena does (although it sounds like you get into that S&M/pimp slapping aspect) you cheeky monkey. :devil:

Edited by Lin731, 16 September 2005 - 01:44 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GW Bush, Election, Approval of Policy

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users