Bush Speech Katrina National Healing

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#21 Kevin Street

Kevin Street
  • Islander
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 02:44 AM

Well, he presented some interesting ideas, and seems to be taking on a leadership role at last, which is good. I honestly don't know what to think of this Gulf Prosperity Zone. We need more details.
Per aspera ad astra

#22 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 06:40 AM

Didn't watch it.  I normally do, but I just couldn't bear to sit through another round of b.s.  If the administration does some good things in rebuilding the region and helping people put their lives back together, I'll applaud. Until then, I'm not interested in the White House PR campaign.

http://www.washingto...5041100879.html

Who's in Charge? Karl Rove!

By Dan Froomkin
Special to washingtonpost.com
Thursday, September 15, 2005; 12:00 PM

All you really need to know about the White House's post-Katrina strategy -- and Bush's carefully choreographed address on national television tonight -- is this little tidbit from the ninth paragraph of Elisabeth Bumiller and Richard W. Stevenson 's story in the New York Times this morning:

"Republicans said Karl Rove, the White House deputy chief of staff and Mr. Bush's chief political adviser, was in charge of the reconstruction effort."

Rove's leadership role suggests quite strikingly that any and all White House decisions and pronouncements regarding the recovery from the storm are being made with their political consequences as the primary consideration.
More specifically: With an eye toward increasing the likelihood of Republican political victories in the future, pursuing long-cherished conservative goals, and bolstering Bush's image.

That is Rove's hallmark.

Rove, Bush's long-time political adviser and the "architect" of Bush's ascendancy, was rewarded after the 2004 election with a position at the White House with overt policy responsibilities. But whereas in some previous White Houses, governance took precedence over campaigning once the election was safely over, Rove has shown no sign of ever putting policy goals above political ones. (See my Rove profile .)

Tonight's speech promises two classic features of the Rove approach.

Bush will take advantage of powerful imagery -- the Associated Press reports the speech will be held in historic Jackson Square, with the famous St. Louis Cathedral as a backdrop -- and he won't risk having anyone around who might disagree with him or ask an impertinent question. In fact, the AP says, there won't be a live audience at all. (And even the journalists covering the event are being told they won't be allowed to stray from their press vans.)

As for the speech itself, it will inevitably seek to answer any naysaying about Bush by recasting him in the heroic, leadership role he played after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks -- while advocating a range of measures that are dear to the conservative political agenda.

It will, on the other hand, feature one very unRovian tactic. Typically, it is the Democrats who are blamed for wanting to solve problems by throwing money at them. But tonight, Bush will be the one throwing the money around.

Will it work? Rove has an astonishing track record of success. But at the same time, Bush finds himself today a deeply unpopular president according to the opinion polls, particularly damaged by his lackluster response to the protracted, televised suffering in New Orleans.

And Rove himself has not been at his best of late. Unlike many of Bush's advisers, who have plausible deniability for his initial under-reaction because they weren't with him on vacation, Rove was tagging along with the president, blithely touring the West Coast even as the Gulf Coast drowned. Rove is haunted by the possibility of indictment by a federal grand jury investigating the leak of a CIA agent. And according to Time magazine, he was briefly hospitalized last week with painful kidney stones.

Even many of the president's traditional allies say Bush -- and by extension, Rove -- have been off their political game. We'll know better by tomorrow morning whether that continues to be the case.

"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#23 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 06:43 AM

eloisel, on Sep 16 2005, 12:21 AM, said:

All I know is when I'm grieving over the loss of a loved one, words don't do it for me.  Acts don't do it either.  As of yet, there is nothing anyone can do to return my loved one to me and that is what I would need to make it better at the time I'm grieving.  Time helps, but it is not the same.  It was one year ago yesterday my sister died.  I still miss the hell out of her and she and I hated each other like only sisters can.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have my sincerest condolences on your loss. Truly....

Edited by emsparks, 16 September 2005 - 06:45 AM.

Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#24 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 06:46 AM

Kevin Street, on Sep 16 2005, 03:44 AM, said:

Well, he presented some interesting ideas, and seems to be taking on a leadership role at last, which is good. I honestly don't know what to think of this Gulf Prosperity Zone. We need more details.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The word “gentrification” comes to mind.

Think!

#25 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 06:58 AM

eloisel, on Sep 15 2005, 11:55 PM, said:

from CU's link which has embedded a link to a transcript of the President's speech:

Tonight so many victims of the hurricane and the flood are far from home and friends and familiar things. You need to know that our whole nation cares about you, and in the journey ahead you are not alone. To all who carry a burden of loss, I extend the deepest sympathy of our country.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A transcript of Presidents Bush’s remarks

I guess this counts, even though I would have liked a little more time taken to express his condolences, however my expectations are not what is important here.

I Stand Corrected…

Edited by emsparks, 16 September 2005 - 07:00 AM.

Think!

#26 Anakam

Anakam

Way Star

• Islander
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 07:57 AM

RichieTyrant, on Sep 16 2005, 05:51 AM, said:

I want to know what will be cut to come up with the $60 billion Congress has approved for the rebuilding....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me too, Richie.  :crazy:

Of course, it's very good that Congress is approving funds, but I'd some assurance that this doesn't mean the rest of the country is being yanked around now instead.  Or more.... whichever!
Sailing free, boundless glimmer, golden whispers, fiery poise, delicate balance, grave and true, bound by earth, feared horizons, courageous steps unknown, shimmering future hidden yet unveiled....

I think you're the first female cast member to *insist* on playing a guy ;) - Iolanthe, on my cross-casting obsession.

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle, this earth of majesty, this seat of Mars, this other Eden, demi-paradise, this fortress built by Nature for herself... - John of Gaunt, Act II, Scene I, Richard II

"I think perhaps that was a sub-optimal phrasing for the maintenance of harmony within the collective." - Omega, here

"Courtesy is how we got civilized. The blind assertion of rights is what threatens to decivilize us. Everybody's got lots of rights that are set out legally. Responsibilities are not enumerated, for good reason, but they are set into the social fabric. Is it such a sacrifice to not be an a**hole?" - Jenny Smith on Usenet, via Jid, via Kathy

#27 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 08:15 AM

I thought it was an okay speech and hope he follows through on it as much as possible... but, I have my doubts when I already caught several falsehoods between what he said and things he's already done, such as the claim to help workers by including them in the rebuilding efforts, when he's already undone Davis/Bacon so his no-bid buddies can pay them as little as possible instead of the going rate... and his claim of helping the Army Corps of Engineers when he's cutting their funding by an additional nearly-$5 billion.  So, I'll wait and see how much he actually does before I'll applaud.  But the ideas he laid out are mostly good, if he'll actually follow through on them.

He didn't give any idea where the funding will come from... I'm sure he'll just build an even bigger deficit, just like he's been doing.  Most of the funding he kept talking about was private donation stuff... and he even said he planned to pay back what churches spent, which is kinda loopy to me - they're supposed to be charities supported by the parishoners, I don't know why the government needs to pay them back.  I also resented that he gave all credit for helping to the religious people.  I've given large chunks of my paycheck and a lot of other stuff to the relief efforts, and I have no use for religion.   Neither do many of my friends who have also been contributing.  So, that kind of irked me.

Overall, though, okay speech.  But the talk is the easy part.  Let's see how he does the walk.

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#28 Godeskian

Godeskian

You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 08:31 AM

Zwolf666, on Sep 16 2005, 02:15 PM, said:

I also resented that he gave all credit for helping to the religious people.  I've given large chunks of my paycheck and a lot of other stuff to the relief efforts, and I have no use for religion.   Neither do many of my friends who have also been contributing.  So, that kind of irked me.

I kind of know how you feel in a 'If i say what's on my mind following that part of the speech i'll end up ranting and get an official warning from the mods' type of way.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#29 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 08:50 AM

I kind of know how you feel in a 'If i say what's on my mind following that part of the speech i'll end up ranting and get an official warning from the mods' type of way.

***** I understand. :)   I didn't mind him acknowledging the good the churches have done, because they have done a lot of great things in this and they definitely do deserve credit, because they have come through, big time... but he made it pretty exclusively theirs, which I know to be misrepresentative overall.   Usually Bush is actually pretty good about giving a little credit to "nonbelievers" when he's giving these speeches, but he didn't in the one last night.    I know it's a nit, but after all the work I've done for this and all the money I put in when I don't earn all that much to begin with, it's my nit, I earned it, and I'm gonna pick it! :)  I'd've appreciated a little nod for us foul godless heathens, but, ah well, can't have everything... :)

Cheers,

Zwolf

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."

#30 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:24 AM

What Zwolf said re credit and too much Christianity.

Bigger and bigger deficit.  Not that this particular reason isn't a danged good one as opposed to some others.  

Hey, let's bring all the troops home from rebuilding Iraq and send them to rebuild New Orleans and use that deficit instead of creating a new one.

Like that would happen.

Themis
Cats will never be extinct!

#31 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:43 AM

Hey maybe we could stop sending money out to help fight AIDS in Africa. Or maybe stop sending food to other parts of the world. Or stop  sending any sort of Aid to any part of the world.

I always wonder why liberals.. I mean progressive always find a way to regress in the face of disaster.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#32 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:47 AM

I always wonder why liberals.. I mean progressive always find a way to regress in the face of disaster.

***** It's because we're the party of fiscal conservativism now.  :)

Cheers,

Zwolf

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."

#33 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:48 AM

Yeah Right

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

#34 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 09:57 AM

Yeah Right

***** Yeah exactly right.  We've got the numbers that prove it.  First surplus in years under Clinton, right back to a major deficit under Bush.  Bush claims to be "conservative" but there's no fiscal evidence to back that up.    Fiscal conservativism was one of the best ideas the Republicans had going for them in my book, but they dropped it.  Thus, they dropped me.

Cheers,

Zwolf

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."

#35 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:09 AM

G1223, on Sep 16 2005, 02:43 PM, said:

Hey maybe we could stop sending money out to help fight AIDS in Africa. Or maybe stop sending food to other parts of the world. Or stop  sending any sort of Aid to any part of the world.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which has what to do with pulling troops, especially National Guard, from a place where we don't seem to be helping anybody, unlike fighting disease or sending food.  

We're going to have to (or ought to) pull something from somewhere because we're definitely spread too thin, and no country out there is boing to forgiveour debt, any more than my credit card companies and mortgage holder would forgive mine.  At some point, you have to stop spending on something.

We could save something on jet fuel if the politicos would stop going places for photo ops and do their speeches from their offices.  It's not like we don't have the technology... I think anybody in shelter would rather have the money spent on filling up AF-1 or 2 spent on food and water than have a personal visit from a politician.  Any politician, any party.  A drop in the bucket, but every little bit helps.

Themis
Cats will never be extinct!

#36 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:23 AM

emsparks, on Sep 16 2005, 03:46 AM, said:

I honestly don't know what to think of this Gulf Prosperity Zone. We need more details.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sadly, it does.  :(  

Zwolf666, on Sep 16 2005, 05:15 AM, said:

I also resented that he gave all credit for helping to the religious people. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, getting really tired of that.  :angry:  

Nonny
Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

#37 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:36 AM

Zwolf666, on Sep 16 2005, 09:57 AM, said:

Yeah Right

***** Yeah exactly right.  We've got the numbers that prove it.  First surplus in years under Clinton, right back to a major deficit under Bush.  

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For which neither Clinton nor the Democratic Party had anything to do with other than fiddling the books to make the boy from Hope, AR look good.

Believe me, Clinton was governor of AR for 12 long years, and he ran our economy, our school system, and our state in general into the mud.
The Future...Unless Things Change.

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made?A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

#38 Spectacles

Spectacles
  • Awaiting Authorisation
  • 9,632 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:37 AM

Themis: We could save something on jet fuel if the politicos would stop going places for photo ops and do their speeches from their offices. It's not like we don't have the technology... I think anybody in shelter would rather have the money spent on filling up AF-1 or 2 spent on food and water than have a personal visit from a politician. Any politician, any party. A drop in the bucket, but every little bit helps.

Ain't that the truth.

And regarding the references to religion, don't forget: Rove's in charge. (Scroll up for article.) A big part of Rove's strategy is to energize the religious right and get it solidly behind Bush. Those four million votes made the difference this past November.  Hence, the repeated references last night to faith-based this 'n that.
"Facts are stupid things." -Ronald Reagan at the 1988 Republican National Convention, attempting to quote John Adams, who said, "Facts are stubborn things"

"Although health care enrollment is actually going pretty well at this point, thousands and maybe millions of Americans have failed to sign up for coverage because they believe the false horror stories they keep hearing." -- Paul Krugman

#39 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:46 AM

emsparks, on Sep 16 2005, 06:46 AM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Given his plan for shuffling money to the lowerclass and the business owners...you know, those who actually lost something in all this...I think you're grasping.
The Future...Unless Things Change.

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made?A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

#40 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 10:49 AM

OK sorry to say it again after a disaster short of one person's own bullhead desire to rebuild all a person has is faith.  I know folks around here have had bad experinces. But outside of banning any faith based charities what do folks expect. a number of these silly voting christians are also the folks who are organizing some of the relief work. That idea of Christian Charity has them heading down to help.

TANSTAAFL

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bush, Speech, Katrina, National Healing

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users