You'll be seein' rainbooms

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 05:23 PM

CoyoteUgly, on Sep 17 2005, 11:19 PM, said:

He'd probably get shot.

? How so?

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#82 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 05:27 PM

Too many bloodsuckers who make a living off of filching money from the government might have to go to work for a living.
The Future...Unless Things Change.

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made?A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

#83 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 05:28 PM

CoyoteUgly, on Sep 17 2005, 11:27 PM, said:

Too many bloodsuckers who make a living off of filching money from the government might have to go to work for a living.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately you are probably right. Oh well.

Defy Gravity!

The Doctor: The universe is big. It's vast and complicated and ridiculous and sometimes, very rarely, impossible things just happen and we call them miracles... and that's a theory. Nine hundred years and I've never seen one yet, but this will do me.

#84 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 05:37 PM

Godeskian, on Sep 17 2005, 04:34 PM, said:

I've always wondered what might happen if an actual capable businessman made it to be president.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would you want to see Donald Trump or Bill Gates as the President?  :eek2:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#85 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 05:40 PM

DWF, on Sep 17 2005, 11:37 PM, said:

Godeskian, on Sep 17 2005, 04:34 PM, said:

I've always wondered what might happen if an actual capable businessman made it to be president.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would you want to see Donald Trump or Bill Gates as the President?  :eek2:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Donald Trump would at least have some idea of how to run the country at a profit, and there is some value to that. The question would be how to balance good business sense for the nation without turning into a tyarant employer when it comes to your general populace.

unfortunately, many modern politicians seem utterly incapable of balancing their budgets, while not doing a great deal for the people in their country. I don't see how Bill Gates, or George Soros, or Donald Trump or Alan Sugar (were he an American) could possibly do worse.

Defy Gravity!

#86 DWF

DWF

Dr. Who 1963-89, 1996, 2005-

• Islander
  • 48,287 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 05:51 PM

Godeskian, on Sep 17 2005, 06:40 PM, said:

Donald Trump would at least have some idea of how to run the country at a profit, and there is some value to that. The question would be how to balance good business sense for the nation without turning into a tyarant employer when it comes to your general populace.

unfortunately, many modern politicians seem utterly incapable of balancing their budgets, while not doing a great deal for the people in their country. I don't see how Bill Gates, or George Soros, or Donald Trump or Alan Sugar (were he an American) could possibly do worse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whether or the President can balance the budget is one, it's being able sell that to Congress and the American people.

And there's no way I'd vote for somebody like Donald Trump at times he seems unbelievably clueless, last Nov. he didn't even know where he's supposed to vote. And I can't see any of the others becoming President.

Both Bushs in fact were business men before entering politics although they're quite as rich as the others.  :blink:
The longest-running science fiction series: decadent, degenerate and rotten to the core. Power-mad conspirators, Daleks, Sontarans... Cybermen! They're still in the nursery compared to us. Fifty years of absolute fandom. That's what it takes to be really critical.

"Don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido

#87 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 05:59 PM

Removed due to the inappropriate nature of an over reaction to an offence not made.

Edited by emsparks, 17 September 2005 - 06:31 PM.

Sparky::

Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.

#88 G1223

G1223

The Blunt Object.

• Dead account
  • 16,164 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 06:11 PM

Lin731, on Sep 17 2005, 08:05 PM, said:

Hey G, lemme know when those rich folks start creating some jobs cause I'm not seeing much given how much cash got thrown at them. We'd have been far better off giving tax breaks to small and mid sized companies, they're the ones most likely to generate growth and jobs, not a bunch of multi Nationals who's job growth is stagnant or declining. BTW...How are we paying for the NOLA rebuilding?????  Lemme guess, borrowing more money from the Bank Of China...Gotta love this new version of fiscal conservatives. I wonder if they make a Fiscal Conservatives for Dummies book?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ever go to WalMart. Sam Walton did not sit there with hat hind waiting for the government to go make theose stores.  Ever go into those mom and pop stores in your smaller towns. They are by taxing standards among the rich. That guy in the nearby town owns a few gas stations he is by assets rich. The small business world that gets gutted to make liberals happy by allowing them to

How about we give you what you want. Since we cannot pay for the rebuilding of New Orleans we just leave it as it is.  That way we can be fically responsible.  And you can blame Bush for not rebuilding the Big Easy.

Disasters are reasons why folks have to borrow money.  I am sorry we cannot fund colleges this year as we need money in case a blizzard wipes out Chicago.

Since we are going to do the Lin disaster prepartion program so you do not borrow any money. We do that by not funding any government programs except disaster relief.

Imagine the news no more social security as we need to pay for repairs from Hurricane Micky which will hit in 2021.
If you encounter any Trolls. You really must not forget them.
And if you want to save these shores. For Pity sake Don't Trust them.
paraphrased from H. "Breaker" Morant

TANSTAAFL
If you voted for Obama then all the mistakes he makes are your fault and I will point this out to you every time he does mess up.

When the fall is all that remains. It matters a great deal.

All hail the clich's all emcompassing shadow.

My playing well with other's skill has been vastly overrated

Member of the Order of the Knigths of the Woeful Countance.

#89 Zwolf

Zwolf
  • Islander
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 06:17 PM

Donald Trump would at least have some idea of how to run the country at a profit, and there is some value to that.

****** Donald Trump's also gone bankrupt a time or two, so I don't really trust him, either.  Then again, at least he hasn't run every business he had on his hands into bankruptcy, like dudewe'restuckwithnow.   :wacko:

We had a real businessman run once, Ross Perot, and he was kind of a scary little man... :)

Cheers,

Zwolf
"I've moved on and I'm feeling fine
And I'll feel even better
When your life has nothing to do with mine."
-Pittbull, "No Love Lost"

"There are things that I'd like to say
But I'm never talking to you again
There's things I'd like to phrase some way

I'm never talking to you again
I'm never talking to you
I'm tired of wasting all my time
Trying to talk to you

I'd put you down where you belong
I'd show you everywhere you're wrong

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you

I'm never talking to you
Trying to talk to you."
- Husker Du, "Never Talking To You Again"

#90 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 06:17 PM

emsparks, on Sep 17 2005, 05:59 PM, said:

CoyoteUgly, on Sep 17 2005, 06:27 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes and they are all called politicians, for every case of welfare fraud you can show me I will show you ten thousand cases of governmental malfeasants, and incompetence costing the taxpayers hundreds of billions.

Not that you care, you have no idea how many dissevering sick, disabled, disable veterans, and elderly have died directly because of so called welfare reform. Why do you think that both political parties have shut up about welfare reform, the death toll makes the war dead from Vietnam look like a drop in the bucket. But then what do you care, as long as the heard gets culled…

While you’re at it tell Nonny how great Veterans hospitals are, and how Bush is spending more on veterans then anytime in history. What the Bush administration will not tell you is: we are treating more veterans now then at anytime in history and the expenditure per veteran, adjusted for inflation is one of the lowest in history.

If it where up to you, I and possibly Nonny would be dead.

You what to see a bloodsucker [board rules prevent me from finishing this sentence].

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Sparks...how about you cool your freaking jets, ok?  

A. I was referring to politicians.
B. I am a partially disabled vet.

Even if I were being ambiguous, there's no call for that sort of behavior, thank you.

Edited by CoyoteUgly, 17 September 2005 - 06:20 PM.

And how am I to face the odds, of man's bedevilment and God's, I a stranger and afraid in a world I never made?A.E. Housman (1859-1936)

#91 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 06:28 PM

CoyoteUgly, on Sep 17 2005, 07:17 PM, said:

emsparks, on Sep 17 2005, 05:59 PM, said:

CoyoteUgly, on Sep 17 2005, 06:27 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Removed due to the inappropriate nature of an over reaction to an offence not made.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Sparks...how about you cool your freaking jets, ok?  

A. I was referring to politicians.
B. I am a partially disabled vet.

Even if I were being ambiguous, there's no call for that sort of behavior, thank you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All right I will take your word for it, and offer an apology.

I over reacted, and I apologize, I am sincerely sorry.

By way of explanation not excuse:
Since you are disabled you have to know how often words like that have been used in reference to welfare reform, and how big a button that is for the disabled living on a fixed income from government. We can’t even take care of ourselves and we’re always the black hats.

Edited by emsparks, 17 September 2005 - 06:50 PM.

Think!

#92 Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer

Harbinger of The Abyss

• Dead account
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 06:30 PM

I think an edit is in order, don't you?

#93 emsparks

emsparks
  • Forever Missed
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 06:42 PM

CoyoteUgly, on Sep 17 2005, 07:30 PM, said:

I think an edit is in order, don't you?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With respect you had an apology coming and you got it.

However you could have waited a bit more then two minuets for me to make the edits, before you demanded it, thus making me look insincere.

When necessary I apologize, I don’t do guilt trips.

Edited by emsparks, 17 September 2005 - 06:50 PM.

Think!

#94 Lin731

Lin731
  • Islander
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 07:19 PM

Ever go to WalMart. Sam Walton did not sit there with hat hind waiting for the government to go make theose stores. Ever go into those mom and pop stores in your smaller towns. They are by taxing standards among the rich. That guy in the nearby town owns a few gas stations he is by assets rich. The small business world that gets gutted to make liberals happy by allowing them to

Nope Sam Walton surely didn't wait with hat in hand, he and his company sold out his own countrymen to China for the sake of getting a higher mark up margin, hires illegals to clean their building and has a multitude of lawsuits pending for violating labor laws...BTW most small business owners DIDN'T get that big tax break and aren't considered "rich".

http://sbc.senate.go...d.cfm?id=218298

President Bush defended his tax cuts yesterday as economic fuel for the small-business sector in response to mounting criticism from Democratic presidential candidates that the cuts chiefly benefited the wealthiest Americans. 

But the president's contention that upper-income tax cuts primarily benefit entrepreneurs conflicts with some of the government's own data.

Democratic Sens. John F. Kerry (Mass.) and John Edwards (N.C.) have pledged to restore the top two income tax rates to a maximum of 39.6 percent if elected president, but Bush and Republican allies say such a move would disproportionately punish small businesses, most of which pay individual income tax rates on their profits.  

"If you're worried about job growth, it seems like it makes sense to give a little fuel to those who create jobs, the small-business sector," Bush told a gathering of the nation's governors at the White House. "So I'll vigorously defend the permanency of the tax cuts, not only for the sake of the economy, but for the sake of the entrepreneurial spirit."

Internal Revenue Service statistics cited by a Democratic senator this month show that the vast majority of small businesses do not earn nearly enough money to fall into the highest income tax bracket. According to IRS data from the 2001 tax year, 3.8 percent of the 18.2 million business tax returns filed that year reported taxable income of $200,000 or more. The top tax bracket last year kicked in at $311,950 of taxable income.   

In contrast, 62 percent of business filers reported incomes of less than $50,000, putting them at most in the 15 percent tax bracket, the second lowest. Nearly 88 percent of business filers reported income of less than $100,000, keeping them comfortably below the top two tax brackets

So tell me again how much small business has benefitted, they haven't. All we really got with those tax cuts was corporate welfare. Throw in the fact that many of the largest corporations aren't paying a DIME in taxes to this country due to tax loopholes...

How about we give you what you want. Since we cannot pay for the rebuilding of New Orleans we just leave it as it is. That way we can be fically responsible. And you can blame Bush for not rebuilding the Big Easy.

Fiscally responsible would be to NOT have invaded Iraq and pissed away Billions down a rat hole. If we'd done THAT, there'd be no need for this discussion would there? We'd be able to rebuild NO without driving our debt into the stratosphere. How about we do something CONSERVATIVE for a change? How about we close the tax loopholes that allow US firms to put their HQ's offshore to avoid paying taxes. How about we repeal those tax cuts? How about we cut the pork spending that's entire purpose is to show the "folks back home" that they're "bringing home the bacon". How about we actually have bidding on contracts? How about we start actually keeping track of where money's going? How many MILLIONS are unaccounted for in Iraq? Good greif G, how much higher do YOU want this debt to go?

Since we are going to do the Lin disaster prepartion program so you do not borrow any money. We do that by not funding any government programs except disaster relief.

Better yet, how about having Bush do what he was doing for months on end before the last election...raising money from his well heeled "Haves and Have Mores"...I seem to recall he had raised about 34 Million didn't he? Since he created this debt maybe for once he could go raise some funds to benefit someone OTHER than himself...What a concept that would be.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#95 Corwin

Corwin

fortitudo ac honor

• Islander
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 17 September 2005 - 09:44 PM

G1223, on Sep 17 2005, 08:14 AM, said:

First who is rich? John Forbes Kerry has a battery of acccounting firms and tax lawyers there to make sure he has to pay no more than his legal share of taxes. Know anyone who is rich who does not do the exact same thing. Hell their accountants and lawyers are in the same class of people.

Nobody should have to pay more than their fair share of taxes, much less the ridiculously high legal share based on mystic etherial laws that no one can truly understand.  

Corwin
"The Enemy is upon us, so Lock and Load, Brothers.  The Emperor Calls and the Forces of Chaos must be driven back.  Though all of us will fall, none of us shall fail!"

#96 Godeskian

Godeskian

• Islander
  • 26,839 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 04:31 AM

DWF, on Sep 17 2005, 11:51 PM, said:

Both Bushs in fact were business men before entering politics although they're quite as rich as the others.  :blink:

Bush senior was a business man. Bush Junior is a failed businessman, that distinction is important.

Defy Gravity!

#97 Zaugur Anasazi

Zaugur Anasazi

Defensor Selenae.

• Islander
  • 257 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 05:23 AM

He is the President of the USA.It's his duty to make a speech but it's also his duty to admit that he failed to help American citizens.
Posted Image

#98 Nonny

Nonny

Scourge of Pretentious Bad Latin

• Islander
  • 31,142 posts

Posted 18 September 2005 - 09:13 PM

CJ AEGIS, on Sep 16 2005, 09:02 AM, said:

Nonny, on Sep 16 2005, 11:39 AM, said:

THEY WILL, take advantage of the clients by forcing their religion down unwilling throats is not the answer. 
Plenty of faith-based charities are out there doing good work and keep their religious background very subtle.  I think a statement that they “will” jam religion down their throats is simply unfair and not accurate to what actually occurs.  There are some (the more evangelist ones) that will try to force it down your throat but I think they are in a minority.  Then I'm pretty sure I could really find a few non-faith based groups that operate on public money that try to cram their outlook of the world down your throat too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To repeat: It's not faith-based charities that I object to, but faith-based social services, handling taxpayers' money on behalf of the government. Let them do their good works with their parishioners' money.  

Nonny

Edited by Nonny, 18 September 2005 - 09:14 PM.

Posted Image

The once and future Nonny

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, give a man a bank and he can rob the world." Can anyone tell me who I am quoting?  I found this with no attribution.

Fatal miscarriages are forever.

Stupid is stupid, this I believe. And ignorance is the worst kind of stupid, since ignorance is a choice.  Suzanne Brockmann

All things must be examined, debated, investigated without exception and without regard for anyone's feelings. Diderot

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bush, Speech, Katrina, National Healing

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users